"Formal Nights" What is your preference?

• 3 months later...

I think you should explain the ship recommendation for formal night and leave it for them to decide how to dress. My wife and I dress up on formal nights and enjoy doing so. We sail Celebrity and I guess about 15 to 20% dress up formally. We like to get our pictures taken on those formal nights hoping to get a good one to show our kids.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think you should explain the ship recommendation for formal night and leave it for them to decide how to dress. My wife and I dress up on formal nights and enjoy doing so. We sail Celebrity and I guess about 15 to 20% dress up formally. We like to get our pictures taken on those formal nights hoping to get a good one to show our kids.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

For us we look at formal night as a night to dress up a little more than the other nights. DH does not bring a tuxedo, and I don't wear a ball gown....but we like to take pictures in more 'dress up' clothes than the jeans and casual shirts we would go out to the movies at home.

Spousal Unit and I are light packers and casual as a rule unless we're attending an event focused on a fancy party, so we noped out of formal nights on our 2016 Alaska cruise on Radiance. We do like to dress polished casual (e.g. khakis or nice jeans and a button-down) to look well assembled in photos while staying comfortable - we're just not that into formal wear.

Funny accept for the fact that blue jeans work for just about everywhere. They are certainly more than adequate for formal nights on RCL.

When I was on Explorer of the seas (hereby known as Exploder of the seams after my time at the Windjammer) some guy on formal night walked in wearing denim shorts and a plain white t-shirt. Shown to his table without a fuss, I don't think his wife was too impressed though.

For us, it depends on the ship and destination. In Alaska, on the NCL Jewel, we didn't dress up, but on RCCL and Princess, we do. The ships, though not as formal as in the past, are more formal than NCL., and we enjoy dressing up. Me, a suit or blazer, and my wife, a nice dress, or maybe even a gown. Her choice. The only time we do dress up is on a cruise, so it's another way to make it special.

My wife and I almost never go out wining, dining etc at home so take full advantage of every formal night. As our travels include hiking and backpacking interspersed with cruising, our formal gear is op shop aquired and usually left behind with a deserving room steward. Saves carrying that weight in a backpack through mountain passes.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Forums mobile app

Anyone can go to a fancy restaurant and expect everyone else there to dress 'in a certain way' but even that restaurant, when someone comes in 'not wearing what you might expect' they DON'T turn them away. At least from what I have seen, living here in S. Florida.

Maybe not in S. FL, but in some areas, there ARE restaurants that enforce jacket or tie required. To the point of lending a jacket or tie for quests who arrive without them.

On our August cruise (Grandeur), I was surprised at the number of people who dressed for formal night. Many men in tuxes, suits; women in at least a cocktail dress and heels.

I wore Dockers and dress shirt, tie, blazer. But I will probably take a suit next cruise. And I wear a suit almost every day at work. But then again, we ended up at the Captain's table the 2nd night (first formal) and I DID feel a bit under dressed, even though I was not the lowest level at the table.

And if you find your suit stuffy and uncomfortable, get a suit and shirt that fit. :D

My wife and I almost never go out wining, dining etc at home so take full advantage of every formal night. As our travels include hiking and backpacking interspersed with cruising, our formal gear is op shop aquired and usually left behind with a deserving room steward. Saves carrying that weight in a backpack through mountain passes.

Sent from my SM-P605 using Forums mobile app

I believe this is the case for most people. They seldom dress up at home so they want to dress up on a ship.

We dress up often for events at home so vacation is a way to relax and not dress up. WJ Or Speciality Dining for us on Formal night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Exactly and if you watch people when they are dressed up they exude a proudness and a feelgood factor.

love sailing with RCCL

Not us. We have minor chronic health issues that make life in general a slightly uncomfortable, but still rich and joyful, experience. We are early risers and usually pretty tired by late afternoon. The last thing we want at that point is to spend a chunk of time getting all prettied up followed by 2 hours adjusting fussy clothing in the dining room and finally, if we have any steam left, tromping around in foot-killing shoes to get to some entertainment venue.

However as some others have suggested, we do not eat in the dining room on formal (or whatever your cruise line is now calling it) night. There are plenty of alternatives. And it's not like we show up in workout clothes on casual nights. Khakis and golf shirt, Aloha shirt or similar. Even so on Carnival Triumph last March I felt sloppy at the evening show with all the fancy dressers everywhere around us so the op is well advised to do it up big with her companions if they are so inclined.

One easy, inexpensive way to dress up regular clothes for formal night is to buy some cheap blingy costume jewelry to dress up your outfit. A nice, cheap sparkly statement necklace and bracelet or brooch can elevate a Sunday dress or blouse to a nicer occasion. This is what my mom does. Enjoy your cruise! You have earned it!

I recall on a cruise a few years back, our table mates (a very nice couple) was selected to dine with the captain on formal night. They shared with us that they hadn't packed any formal clothes for the cruise. They went anyway and enjoyed a great time.

Funny accept for the fact that blue jeans work for just about everywhere. They are certainly more than adequate for formal nights on RCL.

I don't criticize what others wear; I only look in the mirror at myself and determine if what I am wearing is good for that night. I pack easy clothes, but for me dresses or skirts with colorful tops are just as easy to pack as jeans....and all is just fine in the world no matter how others dress.....as long as they are clean. Do I want to sit next to someone at dinner who still smells like the tube of sunscreen they put on during the day -- NO. I have a low bar, I guess.

On the post-Dynamic-Dining Quantum Class ships, it would be nice if they'd at least query passengers if they planned on dressing in formal attire on a formal night and then assign those passengers to tables in a particular dining room. Since the dining rooms are separated, and there's no single grand dining room space like other ships, this would at least give those desiring a formal night experience a better one.

Where is Biker and his meme?

I enjoy dressing up, DH enjoys dressing up. We dress for dinner every night on our cruises, because it's very different than what we do the rest of the time.

Cocktail dresses for me, nice collared shirt and pants for him or a suit on formal night.

Bottom line, it's something we enjoy, so we participate. I did see people turned away last year on Majesty for being in t-shirts and sleeveless shirts on formal night.