Increased charge at Half Moon Cay??

TXCruiser10

Howdy! I was looking at the excursions booklet for our cruise in December. For Half Moon Cay, I noticed that the clamshell rentals were now $39.95. We sailed just a few months ago and I could have sworn the prices was $19.95. Has anyone else noticed? This is essentially double the price and I'm wondering if anything else has been doubled.

Agreed. That's why I was shocked that the price doubled--for lounge chairs??

The chairs are free. It's the little tenty thing whose price went through the roof. It wasn't a great deal at $19.95. There's no shortage of shade on Half Moon Cay. I'd vote for saving the cost.

That seems pretty steep considering that you aren't at HMC for many hours anymore.

I agree. We got one the first time we went but not since. DH isn't fond of the beach to begin with, and now that it's a shorter day, he doesn't always go ashore. Last time, I went ashore, did the snorkel trip (excellent!) and went back to the ship for lunch.

I wonder if the price hike will decrease bookings to the point where HAL lowers the price?

I like using the clamshell as I burn too easily. For my last cruise I did pay the 29.95 and wasn't thrilled with the increase. Now I'm glad I already booked it for the December cruise. At 39.95 that is too much of a jump to book again.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I just checked our 2 cruises next February and they both have the clamshells for $39.95.

They are also now showing a Sun Shelter Rental for $11.95. No picture, but I'd be curious to see how big they are.

Does the charge vary depending on how many ships are moored at HMC? $20 for 1 ship, $30 if 2, and $39.99 if 3 ships are there?

There won't be 3 ships there. 2 max.

We were just there on April 1, with two ships. The clamshells were sold out, and there was a waiting list.

Ironically, the clamshells are no charge, first come - first served when Carnival calls on Half Moon Cay.

Demographics again?:) Younger cruisers who haven't had their first biopsy checking for skin cancer.

They are working on getting a tan and don't want shade and wouldn't pay for a shell? Maybe?:confused:

No Marketing degree here! Evidently Hal's research says it's current demographics will pay for shade.

Edited by aliaschief

Demographics again?:) Younger cruisers who haven't had their first biopsy Checkng for skin cancer.

They are working on getting a tan and don't want shade and wouldn't pay for a shell? Maybe?:confused:

No Marketing degree here! Evidently Hal's research says it's clientele will pay for shade.

Carnival's HMC cabana prices are quite a bit lower as well. It seems that there are lower price points for a few things.

Hope all is well with you. Maybe they make it up in alcoholic beverage sales?:):D

Could be. I think that they just price things based on their market. On of the most interesting differences is in the beverage package. CCL has a Cheers program which is priced like HAL's SBP. Carnival's program allows a per drink price of $50, which is crazy generous. However, they have a hard stop at 15 drinks per day. I realize that most people, including us, would not run into that wall. However, I'd love the flexibility of a $50 per drink limit.

Thanks for the discussion everyone. I called Journeys Ashore ( aks the Excursions desk). The price for the clamshell rentals is $39.95 and they are not new or improved in any way. 2. I asked about these "sun shaders" rental for $11.95. The agent had never even heard of them. Literally argued with me for a bit but I insisted I was reading straight from my excursions booklet. He had never heard of them and could only share what was in the brochure. I wanted to get a picture and he promised to ask them to try to post one.:(

Since when? I paid 19.95 for a clamshell on my January 2016 Carnival cruise.

I got the information from a Carnival PVP just this week (their version of the HAL PCC.)

WOW, $39.95.

We were on one of the first cruises to HMC years ago. The clamshells were Free! Then next trip were $14.

Does the price include transportation to and from the shell?

Does the price include placement of a rock on the back of the shell to provide ventilation?

Does the price include a free lunch delivery?

WOW, $39.95.

We were on one of the first cruises to HMC years ago. The clamshells were Free! Then next trip were $14.

Does the price include placement of a rock on the back of the shell to provide ventilation?

(bold is mine) If the clamshell came with "room service," I might be tempted. But I doubt it does.

WOW, $39.95.

When I rented it through Carnival, answer to all those questions was no.