Do you hide your electronics when you're not in your cabin?

JAMESCC

I'm wondering what most people think or do about their electronics when they are not in their cabin like their laptop or tablets? On our last cruise in Sept/Oct I left our tablets out charging everyday. What do you do with them if you are concerned about your devices? I'm just curious because I didn't think much about it on our last cruise.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

I left my old netbook chagring on at least 35+ cruises and it was fine.

Don't hide them, but we don't leave them in plain sight either.
Ditto. We tend to keep our electronics in the nightstand drawers ... in our minds, that's "put away" and safe enough.

As others have said, we keep our real valuables -- wallets, credit cards, cash, jewelry -- in the safe. We don't bring bulky laptops on cruises.

We lock ours up in the safe. Not concerned about the cabin steward, more concerned about someone else walking in and grabbing something that is out in the open while the cabin steward has the cabin door open.

This seems a little far-fetched to me. If you disagree, I'd say keep things over by the bed, which tends to be less "visible" from the door than the desk area.

So what about when you are in the pool and leave your bag with phone or Kindle on the chair unattended?
I'm not a phone addict and don't take mine with me anywhere on a cruise ... except island stops. I don't worry overmuch about my Kindle at the pool; I don't think they're 'specially hot technology. I do keep mine in a ziplock bag for water protection (I think water damage is highly likely at the pool!), and if I walk away from my chair I tuck it away in my pool tote /covered by a shirt /tucked under my chair.

To me the biggest problem is not the loss of the electronic device, it's the loss of the stuff that's on it, such as a week's worth of vacation photos.

Daily I copy all photos from my camera and phone onto my laptop, then from my laptop onto a USB thumb drive, and lock the thumb drive in the safe. That gives me three copies of every photo to protect against theft and data corruption.

I just purchased a wifi-enhanced memory card, which is supposed to upload pictures automatically. I haven't started using it yet, but this would eliminate a step.

We never hide them on the crew. We do however put them in the drawers when we are hosting a cabin crawl.
Yes, if I were hosting such an event and people I don't really know were going to walk through my cabin, yes, I'd go high-security. Most people are nice and would return your phone more quickly than steal it ... but better safe than sorry.

I like to see empty spaces on desks and nightstands, so I put things away. My laptop fits in a drawer, so that's where it lives when I'm not using it and it's not charging. Cords and such also get put away when not in use.

Depends on what it is. If it's one thing then yes, but if it's another. Then no, cause they've seen me use said electronic before and they know it's there. If you bring a surge protector. Us it under the tv, where there is a single plug left for the stuff you want out of sight but charging anyway. Ya know?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We always lock up or hide valuables for the reasons others have mentioned. When going to the beach we have waterproof neck wallets that will carry cash, a credit card, passport, and room key. Just wear them into the water. They don't bother us and we don't have to worry about securing valuables on the beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If we are charging them we leave them out. If not we put them away. I wouldn't even think that anyone would risk their job for something of such little value. It's not like they can grab our stuff and leave town lol. As for other cruisers, whatever. There are security cameras.....Can't sweat the small stuff.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Don't worry we have 20 cruises under our belt and have never had anything missing. One time I thought I lost my gold earring when I got back to the cabin, our cabin steward put it on the counter. One thing we always do is give our Stewart $20 right away and you will be surprised at the service you get. They work so hard for little money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Many posters are concerned that when rooms are being cleaned, fellow passengers may see into your cabin and have an opportunity to take something from your cabin.:evilsmile:

If your steward sees that you leave your laptop, cameras, lenses out in plain sight you can be pretty sure that he is not leaving the room and leaving the door open for someone to come in and steal your stuff.

I set the laptop up on the desk when I get to the cabin, and leave it there until the cruise is over.

I don't leave anything out in the open, especially when I know the cabin stewards are going to be in the cabin. The cabin stewards tend to leave the doors open while they go and get extra supplies. Thus anyone can slip into the cabin and take anything that is in sight.

I tuck everything in drawers -- out of sight.

If your steward sees that you leave your laptop, cameras, lenses out in plain sight you can be pretty sure that he is not leaving the room and leaving the door open for someone to come in and steal your stuff.

I set the laptop up on the desk when I get to the cabin, and leave it there until the cruise is over.

I seriously doubt that the steward is going to do anything differently in a room because of what may or may not be laying out.

Nope. I've passed open rooms with electronics in plain sight and no steward around.

Yeah, right. You went into the room and searched it, opened the bathroom, checked out on the balcony and no one was there, and the door was left wide open, and electronics were in plain sight?

Ok, I must be wrong.

Look on youtube on how easily it is to get into those safes. Our last cruise the safe wasnt secured to anything so you could easily take the whole thing. We dont "hide" our belongings we just keep them out of plain site. If someone really wants your stuff they will get it.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Yeah, right. You went into the room and searched it, opened the bathroom, checked out on the balcony and no one was there, and the door was left wide open, and electronics were in plain sight?

Ok, I must be wrong.

Yes, you are.

I didn't need to go into a room and search it. I've seen the steward walk out of the room into another, leaving the door open. There was nobody else in the room, and the electronics were in plain sight.

I'm curious, what makes you think that they would close the door if they saw electronics laying out? Do you know for a fact that they do this, or do you just think that they do it?

I normally just keep my phone in my pocket on airplane mode to use as a clock. I don't like to wear a watch, ever.

I've left my tablet out numerous times and nothing has happened but I've also just put it in one of the drawers. And I've left my somewhat nice point and shoot camera out in the open on multiple occasions and things never happened. I feel like the employees probably care about retaining their job more than they care about stealing some $200 device.... That couldn't get them terminated if not in jail.

Yes, you are.

I'm curious, what makes you think that they would close the door if they saw electronics laying out?

Maybe because their job depends on it. Leaving a room unattended with valuables in plain sight could lead to dismissal.

And, if something were to go missing, they would be in trouble.

Maybe you came across an incredibly stupid/incompetent steward, but, regardless, I have no concerns whatsoever in leaving my laptop, cameras, whatever on the desk in plain sight the entire cruise.

I've not had my own electronics taken, but I have heard of it before. I for sure have seen multiple room doors propped open during cleaning, often 3 or 4 doors at a time, and usually bathroom doors are wide open so there is no way a steward can watch over any other room. I have doubts as to the clarity of security footage from corridor cameras. It depends on the age of the technology and distance from the camera.

Most theft like this comes down to opportunity and convenience. Simply securing your valuables out of plain sight greatly increases your safety. You secure your jewelry and cash, I view electronics no differently; it is away and secured.

I'm a bit jaw dropped that this week I'm reading threads where people can't be bothered to secure personal items and another where they can't be bothered to dial a phone number for a price drop. It all strikes me as very counterintuitive.

I'm wondering what most people think or do about their electronics when they are not in their cabin like their laptop or tablets? On our last cruise in Sept/Oct I left our tablets out charging everyday. What do you do with them if you are concerned about your devices? I'm just curious because I didn't think much about it on our last cruise.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

I never travel with electronics nor do I ever use the internet on a cruise .