Do you hide your electronics when you're not in your cabin?

JAMESCC

I've never had a problem in the cabin. Passports and Wallets go in safe. However my Ex hubby lost an IPad on disembarkation in our lounge we waited in. He accidentally left it behind, never to be seen again.

So what about when you are in the pool and leave your bag with phone or Kindle on the chair unattended?

Our phones are in the safe while cruising except when getting off the ship for excursions. The I-pad is locked in the safe almost all the time because we don't buy the internet packages - way too expensive for such slow internet. We check e-mail when out on excursions on our phones as we have T-Mobile and get international data and texting included in our plan.

We lock up our I-pads, phones, cameras, camcorder, wallets, car keys, passports and jewelry in the safe. With the cabin lef topen during cleaning, someone could come in and take those things. The chargers for the items are put in a drawer or cabinet out of sight.

So what about when you are in the pool and leave your bag with phone or Kindle on the chair unattended?

Yes! I have the same question. And what about when you're on the beach in port and the whole family is snorkeling or something similar?

Yes! I have the same question. And what about when you're on the beach in port and the whole family is snorkeling or something similar?

Definitely secure it or it may be stolen. If you rent a car Don't lock your valuables in it. Same result

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anything of value/importance goes in the safe during the day. Electronics are charged at night while we sleep. Although I trust the steward -- they know they can lose their job if anything is missing -- it's others who may wander in like another poster mentioned.

I have been on 100+ cruises and did go through a short phase where traveling with electronics was relatively new so did take precautions. But last 8 years or so haven't really sweated it. I may put something off to the side out of site of the doorway but am not anal about it.

One thing to keep in mind this type of thread pops every so often, however, in all of the threads, I have never read where someone has reported something being stolen.

We do this as well and for the same reason. We never worry about the steward but, sadly other passengers. We have traveled down the hallways before and seen doors open with no steward. If the steward steps out even for a minute anyone has access to your cabin. It does not take long to swipe a tablet or laptop laying out.

I've never had a problem in the cabin. Passports and Wallets go in safe. However my Ex hubby lost an IPad on disembarkation in our lounge we waited in. He accidentally left it behind, never to be seen again.

I also put electronics away in the safe or a bag. Passport, cash, spare credit cards, wallet, and keys go together in a brightly colored bag so I can quickly grab it from the safe. Also so something doesn't get forgotten under the mat.

No reason to tempt people walking by and also good to be neat for the cabin attendants. I'm tidier when I travel (except when actually packing/unpacking) than when I'm at home in my own space. I've walked by cabins which are... let's just say that the cabin attendant is so good at cleaning around stuff because he/she has to. I like to think of tidying as making their jobs easier and respecting their roles.

Also, I accidentally tip water/tea near my keyboard about once a year... I'd feel horrible if someone else accidentally did so and drenched my gadgets because I left them out.

I did an informal poll among friends and we've all lost things because of our own forgetfulness while traveling more than theft. In short, more stuff lost because it was our own fault. Putting things away properly helps avoid misplacing and forgetting things behind.

Theft does happen on cruise lines. All kinds of people get on a cruise ship.

http://www.cruiselawnews.com/tags/theft/

Because the cord going into the drawer isn't obvious??

At a job I had where we had a locker room to change, we always laughed and shook our heads at the people who would put their boots or shoes next to the outlets and drop their charging phones in there. Like it wasn't obvious at all.

Just saying... :'):'):')

uh, they weren't trying to hide the phone.

If you need to charge your phone, you might forget it when you leave.

Put it in your shoes, as you aren't going to forget your shoes when you leave.

To me the biggest problem is not the loss of the electronic device, it's the loss of the stuff that's on it, such as a week's worth of vacation photos.

Daily I copy all photos from my camera and phone onto my laptop, then from my laptop onto a USB thumb drive, and lock the thumb drive in the safe. That gives me three copies of every photo to protect against theft and data corruption.

I'm wondering what most people think or do about their electronics when they are not in their cabin like their laptop or tablets? On our last cruise in Sept/Oct I left our tablets out charging everyday. What do you do with them if you are concerned about your devices? I'm just curious because I didn't think much about it on our last cruise.

Sent from my Pixel using Forums mobile app

I'm going to guess that a lot of people do what we do- put them in the safe.

We lock ours up in the safe. Not concerned about the cabin steward, more concerned about someone else walking in and grabbing something that is out in the open while the cabin steward has the cabin door open.

The safe is there so we use it. Easy peasey. No sense tempting anyone.

My laptop is 17 inches so it won't fit in that little safe. My Kindle is 10 inches and I'm not sure that would fit in the safe either.

We can fit two iPads into most Royal safes but I don't know how they stack up against a Kindle.

We never hide them on the crew. We do however put them in the drawers when we are hosting a cabin crawl. You can track crew by those that swipe into you cabin, and by hall security cameras. On deck 17 your cabin is rarely unlocked and unattended by attendants while they are cleaned, as there are two of them. For the cabin crawl I always think about folks who just happened to "join" along the way that don't do CC because everyone here is stand-up.;)

We put our electronics away. Too many times, we've returned to find the cabin door wide open and the steward in another room.

We also try to put other less valuable things away too. Cabin steward have a habit of putting stuff left out "away" and they're never where we'd put them.

My laptop is 17 inches so it won't fit in that little safe. My Kindle is 10 inches and I'm not sure that would fit in the safe either.

The safes I've used (they are all pretty standard) had no trouble with a Kindle/tablet but a laptop probably would fit. I'd put that in a dresser drawer.