Do you hide your electronics when you're not in your cabin?

JAMESCC

You must have had different furniture than we (and others) have had. No drawers in the nightstands in B, C, and D category staterooms.

Ok maybe not on those 2 ships I can't actually remember as it's been a while since we went on allure and oasis

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Valuables in the safe. Electronics in a drawer or closet.

Not too long ago, ABC did a special on Hotel room thefts. (still applies to ship cabins though).....They showed a demonstration on how EASY it is. A thief would stalk the hallways for housekeeping carts, see a door open with the housekeeper cleaning inside. He would very casually walk in the room and say to the housekeeper: " Oh, I'm sorry. Didn't mean to interrupt....I forgot my laptop. I'll get out of your way in a minute." He proceeded to swipe a laptop/phone/valuables...etc. He did this over and over again at different hotels in NYC. He wore a secret camera to record everything and not ONCE did any of the housekeepers say anything. Pretty scary stuff.

Somewhat unrelated but I thought I would share the result of calling security for an item you believe was stolen. My mom who can be forgetful of where she puts things though something had been stolen from our room. She insisted! Tore the place apart looking for it. I said why would someone take X when my Y is sitting in plain sight here and it was not taken?

She was so angry with me for suggesting she may have forgotten where she put it..it was just so bad I left the room. She called security and they took if VERY seriously. Got the room steward and searched our cabin with a everyone there. They could not find the item either. Then they took the steward to his room and did a search. They unfortunately found some contraband (nothing stolen) and he was then in some sort of trouble. I would see him in the hallway the rest of the cruise and he insisted he took nothing and that he was in trouble. I apologized profusely. The new room steward was not very friendly and by the end of the cruise we stopped getting TP and never got our luggage tags.

Of course then my mother found her missing item. She did call corporate to tell them but who knows what happened after that. Needless to say I am done sailing with her : (

Please be very careful before calling secruity I guess it my point here.

Passports, wallets, jewelry, cameras, phones, and the like items are typically locked in the safe when not in use or needed. Our iPads and my MacBook are also locked in the safe when not in use; it can be a tough fit. We charge the electronics overnight when we are in the cabin.

Typically, the chargers/cables are left curled up on desk.

I figure I'm on a ship, if something goes missing, it'll still be on the ship. Really, what is my room steward (or anyone else onboard) going to do with a stolen laptop/tablet/camera? I don't flaunt things, but if I want to leave my electronics charging in the cabin, I will.

Somewhat unrelated but I thought I would share the result of calling security for an item you believe was stolen. (cut story)

Please be very careful before calling security I guess it my point here.

Quite the opposite happened to us.

WE were contacted by security. Cabin steward reported to them that we left our safe open.

Security says it's SOP, so that the steward isn't blamed for "missing items".

We leave our laptops in our carryon bags mainly because they take up room and we rarely use them onboard, but our phones are sometimes sitting out. My DSLR camera is always sitting in it's bag in the cabinet when not in use. Our Kindles are always on the night stand when we're not reading them.

We do lock up cash, passports and jewelry but don't really sweat it.

As for someone wondering the halls and walking and pretending it's their room, not likely to happen on a cruise. Stewards know who is in which cabin and always address us by name so that would be difficult for someone to just walk into any cabin while it was being cleaned.

Phones go in the safe. I bring a 7" $30 no-name tablet so my kid can have some videos; that goes in the safe. We don't bring computers or other valuable electronics. I would not leave these items sitting out on any cruise line or hotel. I don't know if this is considered "hiding" or just securing your personal items when not around. A lot of people get sloppy on vacation.

Not too long ago, ABC did a special on Hotel room thefts. (still applies to ship cabins though).....They showed a demonstration on how EASY it is. A thief would stalk the hallways for housekeeping carts, see a door open with the housekeeper cleaning inside. He would very casually walk in the room and say to the housekeeper: " Oh, I'm sorry. Didn't mean to interrupt....I forgot my laptop. I'll get out of your way in a minute." He proceeded to swipe a laptop/phone/valuables...etc. He did this over and over again at different hotels in NYC. He wore a secret camera to record everything and not ONCE did any of the housekeepers say anything. Pretty scary stuff.

Difference between a hotel and a cruise ship is that there is some kind of relationship between the cabin steward and the guests on the ship as it's the same person every day with the potential for multiple contact points during the day. In a hotel while there might be some continuity, odds are it will be a different person each day and you having any contact with them is usually pretty slim odds. That is to say your cabin steward will likely know you and unless the person sounds exactly like you they will know it (example here, say this guy was on a cruise ship...unless the guy had been stalking me (in which case they'd have to find a female accomplice), the second he said something to the cabin steward, he'd be busted as I am female traveling alone).

We don't always lock everything up. Computer in bag in closet or under bed. iPad if it fits goes in the safe. However if we are charging something we have left it plugged in but in the top drawer so it's not so obvious. We agree it's not the room steward we worry about...they could lose their job. But we have also seen rooms left open with no one in sight which might be too tempting. We always lock money, passports and jewelry of value in the safe. Better safe then sorry.

I thought I lost a watch once, mentioned it to the steward and he seemed really concerned. I asked him to keep a look out for it as he cleaned the room. I assured him I thought it just misplaced. He told me later that day that he looked for it but didn't find out. I found it under the lip of the safe the next day and told him right away. I never wanted him to think I was jumping to conclusions.

Because the cord going into the drawer isn't obvious??

At a job I had where we had a locker room to change, we always laughed and shook our heads at the people who would put their boots or shoes next to the outlets and drop their charging phones in there. Like it wasn't obvious at all.

Just saying... :'):'):')

I don't think that really applies. most hotel stays are for a day or two and the housekeeper never knows the people. From day one every cabin steward I have had recognizes me and calls me by name. If someone went in my cabin and they were around they would know it. I leave things out all the time and have never had an issue. I put things out of the way so the steward doesn't have to move items to clean just for safety.

I could be wrong but I can't remember reading of anyone that has had a laptop stolen out of their cabin. That's out of thousands of cruises. I have seen posts about people having items taken from their stuff at the beach or possibly by the pool but I'm not even sure of that last part.

In all our cruises, we have never had anything stolen. If I am not using my IPad then it goes in the safe.. I will have my camera out and in its bag the morning of a port day and we go to the WJ for breakfast and it has never been bothered. Our money is in the safe also with our PP.

We lock ours up in the safe. Not concerned about the cabin steward, more concerned about someone else walking in and grabbing something that is out in the open while the cabin steward has the cabin door open.

absolutely do this very time for those very reasons :D

We lock ours up in the safe. Not concerned about the cabin steward, more concerned about someone else walking in and grabbing something that is out in the open while the cabin steward has the cabin door open.

We do this as well and for the same reason. We never worry about the steward but, sadly other passengers. We have traveled down the hallways before and seen doors open with no steward. If the steward steps out even for a minute anyone has access to your cabin. It does not take long to swipe a tablet or laptop laying out.

Edited by Cinders411
spelling error

The only thing I put in the safe is my phone and its cord, since I have no use for it while cruising. My Ipad stays with me all the time because that's where my reading material is located. We no longer travel with cameras and such, so no worries there. In 100+ cruises never has anything been taken from any of our cabins; all the major cruise lines and lots of those no longer operating.

I don't bother to put laptop away, and it's password protected (20+ cruises). IPhone, wallet, cash and passport are always in safe.

Kindle or IPad is always with me. I still carry a a shoulder bag/purse even onboard, although I've tried to give it up -- too many habits, like having kleenex, water bottle, small camera, pen/paper, Aleve etc. handy all the time. I'm probably that old lady who could dig into my purse for an emergency screw driver and fuse if a tender breaks down, but I wouldn't want to carry a laptop around too!).

On sea days I do not lock anything up. On shore days I do put the laptop and ipad in the safe. If the safe is too small I would lock in suitcase under the bed. I do not worry about the cabin steward. But, I know on shore days there can be a lot of other activity on the ship and visits from crew members that are not the cabin stewards to do maintenance and such. Who knows how long the door might be propped open by some random crew member fixing something.

I am not under the illusion that a suitcase under the bed is secure, but it prevents the casual walk by from seeing something and grabbing.

I do not lock up other electronic items like chargers, cables or mouse/keypad that I use with my laptop.

Wow great responses. I guess most people do what I do like I said and leave it out. I never really thought about. You can't get into my laptop or my kindle with out the code so what are you going to do with it anyway if you take it.

I don't bother to put laptop away, and it's password protected (20+ cruises). IPhone, wallet, cash and passport are always in safe.

Wow great responses. I guess most people do what I do like I said and leave it out. I never really thought about. You can't get into my laptop or my kindle with out the code so what are you going to do with it anyway if you take it.

I think some people on here are not aware that a lot can be done with a computer, even if it's password-protected. It's a fairly simple process to wipe the hard drive then install an operating system. Just like a new computer. And for a serious hacker, they can still get to your data even if you have it password-protected. Don't think that because a computer requires a password for you to log on that it's of no use to anyone else!