Complaint letter

alallison06

Hi!

Does anyone have any suggestions on where to send a complaint letter to Carnival? I sent an e-mail to the general customer service e-mail and received one of those "we will respond within 7 days" responses, but that time has passed and still no word.

Long story short - my husband and I just spent our honeymoon in a wet, foul smelling room because the room flooded from a plumbing issue above us. Water, along with black/brown particles, came up through the drains. Horrible foul smell. Several inches of water that flooded not only the bathroom, but also our cabin that kept the carpet wet the entire trip. Ruined our suitcases that were under the bed, got snapped at, and even yelled at, by several members of customer service when we tried asking questions, asked to be moved and were blatantly ignored...

I am so sorry to hear about your experience!

I personally would try to reach out to John Heald, he does a lot of the PR stuff for Carnival and often addresses guests complaints/issues/concerns or gets them to the people they need to talk to.

His facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/JohnHeald/

From his facebook page as well:

(305) 599-2600

John is a wonderful guy. We met him on the Vista last year and he really does his best to try and make every customer happy.

Sorry about what happened on your cruise. That certainly would put a damper on a cruise for anyone.

I am not sure about where to send a letter, other than what you have done. On my last cruise, there were a couple of issues for me, and I did the same . It did take a bit over 7 days, but I got a response, and then a satisfactory resolution to my problem. So I am not sure how much longer than 7 days has elapsed from the time of your letter, but if you dont receive a response. I would send a second one.

Perhaps some one will also provide a different email/complaint process. Hope you get some action.

More than likely if Carnival responds it will be using the word Sorry several times over. Then it will be trashed with the rest of their customers complaints. If you complain to John H you might get a basket of fruit or a plastic ship on a stick on your next cruise.

That was a bad cruise , you deserve better.

I am also surprised this wasn't addressed onboard. I would have very quickly elevated this issue to the Hotel Director. Even if they didn't have another cabin to move you to I'm surprised they didn't offer some form of credit.

More than likely if Carnival responds it will be using the word Sorry several times over. Then it will be trashed with the rest of their customers complaints. If you complain to John H you might get a basket of fruit or a plastic ship on a stick on your next cruise.

That was a bad cruise , you deserve better.

Please ignore BoDidly as most of us do here. John is a sweet guy and will get your comments to the people who can help you. I suggest you do contact him .

Sadly, it's this kind of experience that keeps alive the phrase: "you get what you pay for."

One thing you might try is to e-mail syndicated travel writer/ombudsman Christopher Elliott who can provide you with the direct contact info for the top officers of most travel related companies including cruise lines.

Sending a well written e-mail, citing specific problems and desired solutions, to a CEO often gets tangible action.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Please ignore BoDidly as most of us do here. John is a sweet guy and will get your comments to the people who can help you. I suggest you do contact him .

52 post in 2016 :) Don't ignore much do you ?

Trust me , i hope i am wrong , but the record speaks for itself .

Edited by BoDidly

I'lll try reaching out to John Heald.

I agree bury me at sea. We completely understand that things happen that are out of anyone's control, but there was no reason to be treated the way we were by the staff. We chose Carnival because i've had great experiences with them in the past. I asked about being moved to another room, any room! We had a balcony but explained that we would be perfectly happy in an inside cabin - anything that wasn't smelly and wet. They didn't even check (nor did they say anything about being completely full). Just looked at me then yelled "next person please".

I am also surprised this wasn't addressed onboard. I would have very quickly elevated this issue to the Hotel Director. Even if they didn't have another cabin to move you to I'm surprised they didn't offer some form of credit.

The thing is most new cruisers don't even know to direct their complaints to the hotel director.

Sadly, it's this kind of experience that keeps alive the phrase: "you get what you pay for."

One thing you might try is to e-mail syndicated travel writer/ombudsman Christopher Elliott who can provide you with the direct contact info for the top officers of most travel related companies including cruise lines.

Sending a well written e-mail, citing specific problems and desired solutions, to a CEO often gets tangible action.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I hope that I always do get what I pay for, it's what I expect in every transaction. It's is something the OP didn't get.

The thing is most new cruisers don't even know to direct their complaints to the hotel director.

That's the reason that I mentioned it so any new cruiser following the thread knows what to do if something happens to them.:)

Wow, I am so sorry to hear this. I emailed Carnival customer service in the past for a issue that really was frustrating being a first time cruiser, actually I hadn't even cruised yet. They were so helpful and actually refunded my friend and I $200 towards our airline tickets since we ended up taking a cruise out of Florida instead of Galveston. I believe it took awhile for them to actually respond to me. But they took very good care of us in the long run. Did you try calling them as well? Did you get pictures? If so, I definitely would include those in the email. Good luck!!

Short and to the point (unemotional) - your letter should be about two very short paragraphs including a reasonable request for compensation. Describe exactly what value you lost; the enjoyment of your cabin; cost of items ruined by water; you did receive the rest of your vacation. Cruise lines hate refunds. I suggest you ask for a specific discount on a future cruise as a good will gesture.

I'm sorry for your ruined honeymoon. I agree with reaching out to John Heald or to Mary/Mischelle/Shane on Carnival's official page on the site that must not be mentioned. I don't know what, if any, compensation will be offered, but I wouldn't let it go without making sure someone hears about it. Plumbing issues can happen on any ship, but there is no excuse for rudeness from the staff.

Your issue was not a new issue, and most likely was know. What happens, is they just don't bother taking care of issues, and once you leave, the next person gets the same issue, and it keeps on going. Carnival generally just does not care. The saying goes you get what you pay for, is painfully true for so many that expects a great vacation while paying the cheapest prices. Unless the famous John Herald has the authority to refund you entire cruise, which Carnival should, you will most likely get a big I'm sorry, have future discount, and hopefully you won't get one of the staterooms again, that we have failed to fix.

Your issue was not a new issue, and most likely was know. What happens, is they just don't bother taking care of issues, and once you leave, the next person gets the same issue, and it keeps on going. Carnival generally just does not care. The saying goes you get what you pay for, is painfully true for so many that expects a great vacation while paying the cheapest prices. Unless the famous John Herald has the authority to refund you entire cruise, which Carnival should, you will most likely get a big I'm sorry, have future discount, and hopefully you won't get one of the staterooms again, that we have failed to fix.

It's funny that you say this - because we did receive a letter on the last day, one of those generic we're sorry for the plumbing issue in your room #. It was dated for late march (we cruised in April...)

It's funny that you say this - because we did receive a letter on the last day, one of those generic we're sorry for the plumbing issue in your room #. It was dated for late march (we cruised in April...)

Did you keep this letter? I know you mentioned that you also had photos. I agree with the other responder to make your letter non-emotional. Be very succinct, perhaps even state your damages in bullet points, and the approximate cost for each (for instance, time spent in cabin, guest services line, on phone v. total cost of cruise); add in names of any employees you came across, time periods you went to guest services, number of complaints you made, etc.

Treat this as if you were trying to make a case in court. To supplement this 2 paragraph letter I would also add any documents you have as exhibits (for instance, "We received a generic letter dated March _, 2017, apologizing for plumbing issues, note our cruise occurred the week of April __, 2017 (attached hereto as Exhibit A)" ; "Our luggage was soaked with sewer and plumbing water (photos attached as Exhibit B)".

I really hope they give you a refund or a credit towards another cruise. This is unacceptable!