Complaint letter

alallison06

I don't understand. If all this happened, and it wasn't adequately addressed while ON BOARD the ship, why didn't you contact Carnival while ON BOARD? Do you have photo evidence? A call to the corporate office probably would have gotten the staff inline.

The OP states "... got snapped at, and even yelled at, by several members of customer service when we tried asking questions, asked to be moved and were blatantly ignored...". She made it clear in her post that they attempted to have the problem solved while ON BOARD.

She also stated in a later post that she had photo evidence and received a generic "we're sorry you are having plumbing issues" letter from maintenance that was dated in March, but their sailing was in April. This strongly suggests that this was a known problem and that this was a recycled letter.

Am I understanding this issue? The problem was a plumbing issue in the cabin above these people? The water and particles came flooding down behind the walls into their bathroom drain, and then up into the bathroom flooding both the bathroom and the cabin?

I don't understand how anyone starting with the cabin steward on up to GS could possibly ignore the situation. Something doesn't sound right to me. If that's what happened, I would have used the Vacation Guarantee. We had a minor problem with the safe in our cabin, and the repairman was at our cabin about 5-7 minutes after we mentioned it to the steward, and the safe issue was fixed.

I have had minor issues with things breaking in the room and always got someone to fix the issue quickly. I am surprised that you were treated the way you said you were. I know that if this happened to me that I might end up in the ships brig because I would end up getting stupid belligerent. However I have also been around enough to know if you want something to at least stay calm and ask nicely. Did you do that or demand from the start? Also why did you just take what they gave you? I would have asked nicely then escalated to demanding after I was basically ignored. I would have slept in another room on the ship its called the brig. Kind of reminds you of the united passenger that was drug out of the plane the other day. LOL

Am I understanding this issue? The problem was a plumbing issue in the cabin above these people? The water and particles came flooding down behind the walls into their bathroom drain, and then up into the bathroom flooding both the bathroom and the cabin?

I don't understand how anyone starting with the cabin steward on up to GS could possibly ignore the situation. Something doesn't sound right to me. If that's what happened, I would have used the Vacation Guarantee. We had a minor problem with the safe in our cabin, and the repairman was at our cabin about 5-7 minutes after we mentioned it to the steward, and the safe issue was fixed.

We boarded Magic last May and our bathroom floor had standing water. A drain was plugged. One call to GS and someone from maintenance was there to fix it within minutes.

Guarantee the flooded cabin started by some idiot flushing something down the toilet they shouldnt have even with big signs telling them not to. SMH

We boarded Magic last May and our bathroom floor had standing water. A drain was plugged. One call to GS and someone from maintenance was there to fix it within minutes.

Guarantee the flooded cabin started by some idiot flushing something down the toilet they shouldnt have even with big signs telling them not to. SMH

It reminds me of a youtube video telling people to bring their own T.P. from home, because the ship always has the cheap scratchy kind. :rolleyes: I guess she is unaware of marine toilet paper!?!

The OP states "... got snapped at, and even yelled at, by several members of customer service when we tried asking questions, asked to be moved and were blatantly ignored...".

Flood happens but I have never seen any guest service staff yelling or snapping at a passenger ever on a Carnival ship.

I'm kinda not understanding the whole issue either because if it is as bad as Op says, I would have done vacation guarantee or brought pillows and blanket to the hotel manager and asked him where I was sleeping for the night.

You can't stay in a room with wet carpet.

Flood happens but I have never seen any guest service staff yelling or snapping at a passenger ever on a Carnival ship.

I've never witnessed a bank heist either, but it happens (not that the yelling, etc. necessarily happened in this case, just recognizing that it is possible).

That does sound miserable. I understand accidents happen but I'm very surprised this wasn't addressed to your satisfaction while you were on board.

Congratulations on your wedding.

Agreed. I would have simply gone to customer services and had them sort it out. Your options would have been to move to another cabin (although generally there aren't any spare) or get off at the next port and go home and get your fares refunded and your next cruise comp'd.

At the very minimum.

Well if you have never seen customer service snap at someone, that must mean it has never happened. Wrong I have seen it quite a few times.

Well if you have never seen customer service snap at someone, that must mean it has never happened. Wrong I have seen it quite a few times.

Their only human, and humans have their limits when faced with an endless queue of people, many of whom seem insistent of finding something, anything, to complain about.

But I've personally only found them to be really helpful efficient.

(One of the unheralded benefits of FTTF is the nearly always empty FTTF/Suite/Diamond counter at customer services.)

Fortunately this has never happened to me. But if they hadn't found me a new cabin I would be sleeping in a lounge somewhere and asking for blankets sheets and pillows. No one should have to sleep in a cabin with wet floors, that is absolutely crazy. I would like to know what satisfaction the OP gets. I can't imagine that was very fun for them or anyone else who was affected.

Candi

As an update for those who asked - received an e-mail back from guest services. They are refunding $120 per person (odd number.. but i'll take it) and giving us a $100 onboard credit to be used on a future sail date.

For those who keep asking - yes, I tried to solve this problem on board, multiple times actually. Yes, I have photos (even a video) and kept the wrongly dated letter they gave. No, I did not receive any sort of compensation on board and therefore am not just fishing for more in hindsight.

I appreciate all those who helped.

Everyone that mentions asking for the hotel director or evoking the great vacation guarentee forgets that most first time cruisers (or relativley new cruisers) such as the OP as her profile seems like only two total cruisers do not know how to navigate the carnival waters.

That said - I think their offer is relatively poor if the situation was as bad as you claim. I would reach out to either Heald or email Christine Duffy. If you have the photos you are referring too attach the photos to your email. Only once did I have to take this step regarding my bachelor party and we ended up getting an excursion for 18 people free and private. Carnival is great you just need to know what levers to pull and when to pull them.

As an update for those who asked - received an e-mail back from guest services. They are refunding $120 per person (odd number.. but i'll take it) and giving us a $100 onboard credit to be used on a future sail date.

For those who keep asking - yes, I tried to solve this problem on board, multiple times actually. Yes, I have photos (even a video) and kept the wrongly dated letter they gave. No, I did not receive any sort of compensation on board and therefore am not just fishing for more in hindsight.

I appreciate all those who helped.

Op I do feel this is rather weak from Carnival from what you described . But it's something and only you can decide if it's satisfactory. I can tell you this from my experiences with Carnival ,at least you got something for your troubles. Take it and book another one ,it has got to be better than the last one :)

Everyone that mentions asking for the hotel director or evoking the great vacation guarentee forgets that most first time cruisers (or relativley new cruisers) such as the OP as her profile seems like only two total cruisers do not know how to navigate the carnival waters.

That said - I think their offer is relatively poor if the situation was as bad as you claim. I would reach out to either Heald or email Christine Duffy. If you have the photos you are referring too attach the photos to your email. Only once did I have to take this step regarding my bachelor party and we ended up getting an excursion for 18 people free and private. Carnival is great you just need to know what levers to pull and when to pull them.

Most people who are mentioning the HD and vacation guarantee are doing so not so much to help the OP but to help those newbies that may be following the thread.

OP, I am glad that you at least got something, thanks for the update.

I am surprised that they did not send in someone to sanitize the room and dry out the carpet while you were out of the room. Those blowers dry out the rug in no time. Also the compensation you received barely covers the luggage. I would still contact John h and explain. After all, you only get one honeymoon, well hopefully.

I am surprised that they did not send in someone to sanitize the room and dry out the carpet while you were out of the room. Those blowers dry out the rug in no time. Also the compensation you received barely covers the luggage. I would still contact John h and explain. After all, you only get one honeymoon, well hopefully.

They actually did sent someone to fix the issue and mop up the water (which they did, but the bathroom floor was still gross so we had to request for it to be cleaned again - no big deal). They had a fan constantly running to dry the main hall outside of the door where the carpet was wet. They also had a fan in the room - but there was a major issue with miscommunication among the staff (my best guess atleast). The fan sat there, not running, the vast majority of the time, which is why the carpet remained wet for the duration of the trip.

We actually would turn the fan on when getting to the room (we would always find it off!), go to dinner, then come back to find turndown service and the fan turned off and unplugged yet again. Our best guess was the the room steward was doing it? Honestly - i'm not sure. Anytime we called to ask (or went down to guest services) to make sure we could turn it back on, or what was going on, we would be harshly told to "not touch the equipment" and to "leave the fans on so they can do their job". Couldn't agree more - they seemed to think we were the ones turning it off (which we never did) and became frustrated with us rather than trying to work with us to find a solution.

There's a lot more to this that I didn't include - point wasn't to vent. Stuff happens, I get that... but how it was handled was not okay in my book.

Edit -> We're actually looking at booking another cruise for my spring break same time next year (i'm a teacher)... almost a honeymoon "redo" if you will! Honestly, I'm not sure we'll do Carnival again though after this.

They actually did sent someone to fix the issue and mop up the water (which they did, but the bathroom floor was still gross so we had to request for it to be cleaned again - no big deal). They had a fan constantly running to dry the main hall outside of the door where the carpet was wet. They also had a fan in the room - but there was a major issue with miscommunication among the staff (my best guess atleast). The fan sat there, not running, the vast majority of the time, which is why the carpet remained wet for the duration of the trip.

We actually would turn the fan on when getting to the room (we would always find it off!), go to dinner, then come back to find turndown service and the fan turned off and unplugged yet again. Our best guess was the the room steward was doing it? Honestly - i'm not sure. Anytime we called to ask (or went down to guest services) to make sure we could turn it back on, or what was going on, we would be harshly told to "not touch the equipment" and to "leave the fans on so they can do their job". Couldn't agree more - they seemed to think we were the ones turning it off (which we never did) and became frustrated with us rather than trying to work with us to find a solution.

There's a lot more to this that I didn't include - point wasn't to vent. Stuff happens, I get that... but how it was handled was not okay in my book.

Edit -> We're actually looking at booking another cruise for my spring break same time next year (i'm a teacher)... almost a honeymoon "redo" if you will! Honestly, I'm not sure we'll do Carnival again though after this.

Can you explain the "lot more"?

Why didn't you just ask you room steward about the fan? Surely you knew the fan had to be on to dry the carpet. I know you're young, but what was going on with the fan not being left on. I feel sorry for your situation, but I feel like we are not getting the full story.

Can you explain the "lot more"?

Why didn't you just ask you room steward about the fan? Surely you knew the fan had to be on to dry the carpet. I know you're young, but what was going on with the fan not being left on. I feel sorry for your situation, but I feel like we are not getting the full story.

Yes, we knew the fan needed to be on to dry the carpet... we turned it back on multiple times on multiple days. We were not the ones turning it off as I explained.

Again, not sure who turned it off. We didn't see the room steward for most of the trip. We specifically asked about it being left on and was just told "okay" by him. We never saw him when he attended to the room throughout the day.

Didn't give every detail - the point of this post wasn't to vent or complain on a thread. Just needed to know who to contact. I sent a concise, detailed list of the events and photos to Carnival in the e-mail based on feedback I got here.

• 8 months later...