Walking around the ships with plates of food

It's a phenomenon that really fascinates me for some reason. Last cruise on the Allure about a month ago, I can't tell you how many times I was in a packed elevator with someone carrying plates full of food. Don't these people worry about germs lol? I am not a germaphobe, but the thought of people in close quarters breathing/sneezing/coughing all over a plate of food is disgusting. I can see if you are bringing it down for someone who isn't feeling well or has mobility issues....but the walking plates seemed like they were EVERYWHERE lol. Are people worried they may run out of dining options or that the ship might run out of food?

I'm writing this more just as an observation...I don't expect many of you to actually admit to doing this. I am alone in this observation?

Some people like to eat on their balcony without using room service.

Precisely. Given the percentage of cabins with balconies, I'm surprised anyone eats on the tables at the buffet.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

Last time I was in the Windjammer, or even the MDR, there were people breathing, coughing, and sneezing.

It's a buffet. By it's nature, there's a risk to getting something on the food.

Not sure what there is to worry about.

(Yes, we carry food to our cabin)

We've never carried a plate of food around a ship, but I guess I get it if you want to eat in the room.

The ones that baffle me are the people who take it to the pool and sit there in the sun balancing it on their knees...........just doesn't look fun, comfortable or pleasant.

I wrote that post somewhat tongue in cheek, but I think I'd rather walk down 10 flights of stairs than stand in a large closet-sized elevator with my scrambled eggs under 20 peoples' noses for several minutes!

Last time I was in the Windjammer, or even the MDR, there were people breathing, coughing, and sneezing.

It's a buffet. By it's nature, there's a risk to getting something on the food.

Not sure what there is to worry about.

(Yes, we carry food to our cabin)

One other thought occurred to me. I'm pretty sure whenever I've done this in the past I've covered my plate with an extra napkin.

This message may have been entered using voice recognition. Please excuse any typos.

One other thought occurred to me. I'm pretty sure whenever I've done this in the past I've covered my plate with an extra napkin.

Yup.

Or a second plate/bowl depending on what you are carrying.

I've done it many times, usually I'll throw a napkin over the food. But even if I didn't, I wouldn't be overly concerned about it being somehow contaminated before I got back to my cabin.

Let's face it, if I was that concerned about germs I wouldn't be on a cruise ship, aka the world's largest petri dish :cool:

If my waiter carries my food to me in a crowded restaurant, he walks closely past quite a few people at other tables, in the kitchen, walking around the restaurant, etc. I guess we have to take our chances

I don't have to bring food back to my cabin because RC provides more than pizza for me late at night but when I cruise on Carnival that only has pizza, I will bring back some type of food for a snack late at night...usually cheeses or veggies or even a dessert but I always bring baggies with me and I always place my plate into a large zipper baggie so there be no germs and its cleaner to store in the refrigerator.

The ones that baffle me are the people who take it to the pool and sit there in the sun balancing it on their knees...........just doesn't look fun, comfortable or pleasant.

Some'd end up dropping their food on the pool deck, leaving dirty dishes everywhere or touching the chairs with their sticky and greasy fingers. Disgusting.

Yup.

Or a second plate/bowl depending on what you are carrying.

That's what I do. Sometimes they let me into the Windjammer when there are no tables available, so I am walking around with a plate of food and nowhere to sit. Sometimes I just want to take some food to go for a snack later when the Windjammer is not open. Sometimes I just want to eat in my room. I wish that they would provide plate covers but I suppose they don't want to encourage that.

Edit to note that when I take food out of MDR or a specialty restaurant they give me covers. It's the Windjammer that doesn't seem to.

Edited by Pratique

I have tried to carry sausages from the Dog House to the suite sun deck. But somehow they never make it all the way there.

How peculiar, I've had similar experiences when trying to travel with anything from the Dog House.

I have never attempted to wander with a plate of food from the buffet but will grab some pizza or a sandwich as a snack for the room. Germs are everywhere anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

What's so hard about grabbing a few items on a plate, grabbing another plate to cover it and then walking down to your room. We mainly do this early in the morning to have a little nosh with our coffee... since of course, I will go get the coffee, while hubby goes and gets some snacks.... Come back, sit on our balcony and start the day off the right way on a cruise... RELAXING.

Like another post mentioned, if I was worried about getting germs, I wouldn't be on a cruise to begin with!!

It's a phenomenon that really fascinates me for some reason. Last cruise on the Allure about a month ago, I can't tell you how many times I was in a packed elevator with someone carrying plates full of food. Don't these people worry about germs lol? I am not a germaphobe, but the thought of people in close quarters breathing/sneezing/coughing all over a plate of food is disgusting. I can see if you are bringing it down for someone who isn't feeling well or has mobility issues....but the walking plates seemed like they were EVERYWHERE lol. Are people worried they may run out of dining options or that the ship might run out of food?

I'm writing this more just as an observation...I don't expect many of you to actually admit to doing this. I am alone in this observation?

I get food every morning every cruise. That's why I bring a cooler with wheels

You will see this happening more and more often with the new $7.95 room service charge.....

I get food every morning every cruise. That's why I bring a cooler with wheels

Good idea I have a soft sided cooler that I will bring. You will be seeing more of this since they now charge for room service.

I do this every morning and afternoon. We usually stay one or two decks below the WJ, so I grab food for my boyfriend and I, cover it with a napkin and walk it down to the room to eat breakfast on the balcony. In the afternoon, we go up to the WJ to make our own cheese plate, grab some wine on the way out and have an afternoon snack on the balcony. I will say I am not a food/pool kind of person. It always ends in a mess for me due to wind/balancing issues/etc.

I take food down from the Windjammer every so often, no problem. This is a weird thing to be "fascinated" by.

The thing that weirds me out is when I see people with plates from the windjammer sitting and eating ON THE FLOOR. That's ... something. I noticed it quite a few times on my last two Allure cruises. Mostly teens, but still, gross.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk