Can't believe the prices!!!!

I agree, OP.

April 2016 we sailed on the Escape, booked back in the fall 2015. Had an inside cabin at $719/pp with 3 and 4 sail free. Total cabin cost was $2200 CDN for four people.

of course from time t time prices are going to adjust, depending on supply and demand, but you are comparing apples and oranges: you got a great deal last year probably due to a promo: 3rd and 4th free plus port charges and taxes have sky rocketed this year. Changing cat is an option as well. We just did that for our next cruise. We decided we don't need a balcony, we can use the Great Outdoors for fresh air and reading. Of course for those who are already considering an inside there are not many options.

Edited by newmexicoNita

UK pricing has rocketed under the new premium all inclusive deal. We're booked on the Spirit in August 2018 with the free all inclusive drinks package. The price with the new promotion is well over £1,000 more for our family - and essentially the only extras it includes are the gratuities and bottles water. I'm glad I booked when I did. Other cruise lines are starting to look better value for next year. That said, US pricing for NCL now looks pretty attractive and you can still get deals including the drinks package, so we'll probably book through a US TA in the future. My prediction is they're testing the waters with the new UK pricing structures, and prices will adjust downwards in the next few months.

UK pricing has rocketed under the new premium all inclusive deal. We're booked on the Spirit in August 2018 with the free all inclusive drinks package............... My prediction is they're testing the waters with the new UK pricing structures, and prices will adjust downwards in the next few months.

I'd like to think you're correct but I fear not.

We recently cruised on Spirit with a package that had dining and beverage included, kept a note of the drinks we had and it worked out we never exceeded 5 beers/glasses of wine each per day, mostly 4 of each per day, so cost to pay would have been less than buying that UBP, which we don't normally do - neither do we normally have as many as 5 beers/wines!

Others have talked about the lower USD/GBP exchange rate as being responsible for a large part of the price increases - not really, an extra 20 cents in the pound puts 200 USD on a £1000 cruise, around £165 or pro rata on more expensive cruises, which doesn't account for the huge increases being seen under the new all inclusive program.

Here in the UK, NCL cruises are now often on a par price wise with the likes of Celebrity, Princess and RCL without being anywhere near the quality of those lines. NCL are much nearer to P&O on quality terms, but not on value for money as P&O are much cheaper.

Ultimately though, if we all continue to book and sail at the new price structure, it will be here to stay.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Forums mobile app

My opinion is that prices have increased across most lines. As someone mentioned in an earlier post, there was a big price hike when we decided to leave the EU and the pound tumbled against the dollar. I also agree that when NCL moved the uk market to premium all inclusive, they most definitely added a bit on!!!

We made a booking quite recently and used a US agent and paid in $$$, we are saving over £300pp against the U.K. Website and pricing. That's for identical booking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ncl has totally priced themselves out of the market for me. Last year we paid £750 for balcony with a drinks package. Same cruise next year £1190, only extra gratuities which are about £85. Will definitely be looking else where in the future.

I said this about a month or so ago. Our Caribbean 7 day cruises on the Epic have gone up $300pp more than what we paid in Jan. $849pp for an inside cabin plus taxes and port charges and gratuities is crazy! Glad we booked when we did.

All of the Caribbean cruises we are looking for next year have gone crazy in prices also. Hoping they will go down.

The prices have definitely gone up, especially during the school holiday weeks. We are only able to travel when school is out, therefore relegated to paying higher prices. Kids-free promos are usually only offered during the off-months. We usually go on two to three vacations per year. Have been doing more AI resorts, which we find are becoming a better return for our $ (even with the airfare factored in). We usually choose the mid-size AI resorts on a nice beach, kids club, etc. Rooms are bigger, less running around/planning ahead, much less crowds/lines, nice beach every day, etc. I still like the "bling" of cruises, but AI resorts seem to be winning out lately.

Oh Boo Hoo Hoo:eek:. I can not sail for the same price I have sailed at before. We have more contestants playing the "price monitoring game". Come on now cruisers:confused:, Haven't we talked about this "game" enough. Has anyone really given the correct answer to get what we want. Once again cruisers it is all about timing. Supply and demand also have something to do with prices. How about destinations and how many ships use basically the same itinerary. Are you able to use another cruise line with the simular itinerary but lower price? How about the value of the US dollar compared to other countries currencies. We all say we are "happy" when we book are cruise, but because of CC we complain when we see other cruisers getting great deals and want the same. The best deals out there always start with an inside guarantee with no packages. Lowest price you can purchase a cruise. Like we all say "we are just happy to be taking this cruise at the price we liked originally paid". If you pick your cabin, there is little wiggle room to negotiate. And for all of you that have to consider travel and lodging for your cruise do you also monitor there prices and call your TA to see if you can get a better deal? Once again people when the company already has your money they rarely negotiate down, but rather get more money out of you with a upgrade. Learn from this experience and used this knowledge to make a better deal on your next cruise:).

Booked for a group of 16 in Jan 2017 (with free at sea), Inside rooms deck 11 $1800 per couple. Balcony $2700 per couple. More folks are looking to join us, called, now pricing inside $2700. Balcony $4250. Glad we booked in January!!!

The £ has dropped massively against the $ in the last year, that will be the biggest reason the price has jumped.

You take £750 when it was $1.49/£1.00 and compare to £1105 at $1.29/£1.00 then that is responsible for over half the increase.

What you should do is tell us the comparative price on Celebrity, RCI and Carnival.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This is why we are doing a Mediterranean cruise in 2018.

I'd like to think you're correct but I fear not.

We recently cruised on Spirit with a package that had dining and beverage included, kept a note of the drinks we had and it worked out we never exceeded 5 beers/glasses of wine each per day, mostly 4 of each per day, so cost to pay would have been less than buying that UBP, which we don't normally do - neither do we normally have as many as 5 beers/wines!

Others have talked about the lower USD/GBP exchange rate as being responsible for a large part of the price increases - not really, an extra 20 cents in the pound puts 200 USD on a £1000 cruise, around £165 or pro rata on more expensive cruises, which doesn't account for the huge increases being seen under the new all inclusive program.

Here in the UK, NCL cruises are now often on a par price wise with the likes of Celebrity, Princess and RCL without being anywhere near the quality of those lines. NCL are much nearer to P&O on quality terms, but not on value for money as P&O are much cheaper.

Ultimately though, if we all continue to book and sail at the new price structure, it will be here to stay.

Alcohol is the big money maker on all sailings. No other on board item brings in more money for NCL or any other cruise line. Then add in the 18% gratutity charge. Under the new AI program, passengers are charged for an "estimated" number of drinks per passenger, per day whether or not you actually drink that many drinks. Definitely not worth the extra cost if you only averge one or two drinks per day. Worse yet for the non alcohol drinker! :(

Revenues must really be down from UK. Now it seems like NCL is trying to find a way to compete with the higher end cruise lines, but this isn't the answer. First it was the concept of the Haven, a separate luxury area with butlers, a private pool, restaurant, special priviledges, etc. within the ship. Due to the higher prices, the Haven cabins do not always sell out at the published prices. Next, NCL introduced bidding for an upgrade since just paying the difference in pricing to upgrade wasn't enough. The luxury lines are AI but there is no comparison when it comes to passenger/staff ratio, service, amenities, included tours, etc.

Not everyone can purchase a cruise 12 months or more prior to the sailing. While others are limited to certain travel times due to their jobs or school times. With the changing world events and the ever new travel advisories it is hard to predict what will happen next and where.

No, you are right that the flucuations in currency do not account for the higher pricing that you are seeing in the UK. NCL is not providing enough value to justify the higher AI pricing.

The only way it will go away is if NCL seems a big drop in bookings from the UK. Apparently, some have already found a way around it by booking with US travel agencies.

MARAPRINCE

Alcohol is the big money maker on all sailings. No other on board item brings in more money for NCL or any other cruise line. Then add in the 18% gratutity charge. Under the new AI program, passengers are charged for an "estimated" number of drinks per passenger, per day whether or not you actually drink that many drinks. Definitely not worth the extra cost if you only averge one or two drinks per day. Worse yet for the non alcohol drinker! :(

Revenues must really be down from UK. Now it seems like NCL is trying to find a way to compete with the higher end cruise lines, but this isn't the answer. First it was the concept of the Haven, a separate luxury area with butlers, a private pool, restaurant, special priviledges, etc. within the ship. Due to the higher prices, the Haven cabins do not always sell out at the published prices. Next, NCL introduced bidding for an upgrade since just paying the difference in pricing to upgrade wasn't enough. The luxury lines are AI but there is no comparison when it comes to passenger/staff ratio, service, amenities, included tours, etc.

Not everyone can purchase a cruise 12 months or more prior to the sailing. While others are limited to certain travel times due to their jobs or school times. With the changing world events and the ever new travel advisories it is hard to predict what will happen next and where.

No, you are right that the flucuations in currency do not account for the higher pricing that you are seeing in the UK. NCL is not providing enough value to justify the higher AI pricing.

The only way it will go away is if NCL seems a big drop in bookings from the UK. Apparently, some have already found a way around it by booking with US travel agencies.

MARAPRINCE

Gotta agree with the idea that all inclusive punishes nondrinkers like me, the reason I never take any all inclusive land tours, missing the chance to pay for other people's booze. Wonder if in the future it will also include tobacco products, with extra charges for Cuban cigars.

NCL's prices have really went up. I normally book suites but now looking at MSC cruises. Their yacht club looks amazing and is similar to the Haven at half the price. I used to take 1-2 NCL cruises every year. Ever since FDR took over, I have not sailed NCL because of the price increases and cut backs in the other areas.

Will I sail NCL again? Yes someday when the price is right. I still do mock bookings on NCL ships and still sticker shocked how expensive they are. The same penthouse suite booking from 2010 has DOUBLED in price today on the Sky. My Getaway cruise also doubled in price just 2 years ago. I keep telling myself NCL cant sell cruises at these prices and the prices will come down. But that has not happened (yet). :rolleyes:

NCL's prices have really went up. I normally book suites but now looking at MSC cruises. Their yacht club looks amazing and is similar to the Haven at half the price. I used to take 1-2 NCL cruises every year. Ever since FDR took over, I have not sailed NCL because of the price increases and cut backs in the other areas.

Will I sail NCL again? Yes someday when the price is right. I still do mock bookings on NCL ships and still sticker shocked how expensive they are. The same penthouse suite booking from 2010 has DOUBLED in price today on the Sky. My Getaway cruise also doubled in price just 2 years ago. I keep telling myself NCL cant sell cruises at these prices and the prices will come down. But that has not happened (yet). :rolleyes:

Check out Alaska. Prices are the same and even lower in some cases this season.:D. Good price drops if can can cruise on short notice. Even on NCL:p. Look at the Jewel out of Seattle next week, 7 days for less then $400 for an IX

Edited by jskinsd
to add on

I've booked the Bliss for April, 2019 and am quite happy with the price. I have a balcony with the UDP and SDP and Ins. The total came out to $3000.00 for a new ship. Royal's Symphony was also about $3000.00 with $200.00 OBC, and ins, but no packages. Carnival's Horizon is about $2800.00 with nothing except ins. By the way, I forgot to add that all prices include pre paid grats also. Going by these comparisons, NCL is a clear winner as to value. The yelling about high prices goes on in every forum , regardless of cruise line.

I've booked the Bliss for April, 2019 and am quite happy with the price. I have a balcony with the UDP and SDP and Ins. The total came out to $3000.00 for a new ship. Royal's Symphony was also about $3000.00 with $200.00 OBC, and ins, but no packages. Carnival's Horizon is about $2800.00 with nothing except ins. By the way, I forgot to add that all prices include pre paid grats also. Going by these comparisons, NCL is a clear winner as to value. The yelling about high prices goes on in every forum , regardless of cruise line.

With respect, the "yelling" as you call it is in the UK market as per the OP, myself and others for cruises mainly in and around Europe.

The North American market is a different animal due to so many competing cruise lines offering the the same or very similar itineraries hence keener pricing much of the time.

The £ has dropped massively against the $ in the last year, that will be the biggest reason the price has jumped.

You take £750 when it was $1.49/£1.00 and compare to £1105 at $1.29/£1.00 then that is responsible for over half the increase.

What you should do is tell us the comparative price on Celebrity, RCI and Carnival.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Not quite sure what you're saying here.

£750 @ 1.49 is approximately 1115 US.

1115 US divided by 1.29 is approximately £850.

Difference of around £100, which is much less than half the £355 difference from your £750 and £1105 figures.

With respect, the "yelling" as you call it is in the UK market as per the OP, myself and others for cruises mainly in and around Europe.

The North American market is a different animal due to so many competing cruise lines offering the the same or very similar itineraries hence keener pricing much of the time.

You are right on.:D. Because I am extremely afraid to fly. This limits me to cruising on the west coast. I will only drive. And if the cruise starts one place and ends up in another place, I will book a B2B:). This also allows me to wait until the closest time until sailing. My only additional costs are gas, parking and hotel. And these are easily attainable on late notice. I will usually use a Stay, Park and cruise package. I learned this on CC. That being said my next cruise on the Sun sails out of San Francisco to Vancouver. I am driving to San Francisco, parking my car for 16 days and one night hotel. In Vancouver I will rent a car, one night hotel and pick up my truck in San Franciso. Now I feel like a dummy that after having cruised Alaska many times I am doing it this way the first time with a rental car. Duh!:confused:. And after thinking that I know it all about good deals and limited costs, I find myself learning a lot more here on CC.:p

So Thank you all for all your positive and negative experiences. All of your complaints and wisdom and just your wonderful thoughts.;p

Edited by jskinsd
misspelled

Oh Boo Hoo Hoo:eek:. I can not sail for the same price I have sailed at before. We have more contestants playing the "price monitoring game". Come on now cruisers:confused:, Haven't we talked about this "game" enough. Has anyone really given the correct answer to get what we want. Once again cruisers it is all about timing. Supply and demand also have something to do with prices. How about destinations and how many ships use basically the same itinerary. Are you able to use another cruise line with the simular itinerary but lower price? How about the value of the US dollar compared to other countries currencies. We all say we are "happy" when we book are cruise, but because of CC we complain when we see other cruisers getting great deals and want the same. The best deals out there always start with an inside guarantee with no packages. Lowest price you can purchase a cruise. Like we all say "we are just happy to be taking this cruise at the price we liked originally paid". If you pick your cabin, there is little wiggle room to negotiate. And for all of you that have to consider travel and lodging for your cruise do you also monitor there prices and call your TA to see if you can get a better deal? Once again people when the company already has your money they rarely negotiate down, but rather get more money out of you with a upgrade. Learn from this experience and used this knowledge to make a better deal on your next cruise:).

I think pricing falls in line with gratuities and sneaking booze on as the 3 most talked about talked about topics when someone wants to just gripe!!!:eek:

Your price has gone up since 2010; wow: so has meat prices, produce, homes, etc. How shocking!!!!:o

As for FDR, yes, at the beginning of the take over things did change and not all for the good, but since then I have seen an improvement in food, love the AI plan and still have not much to complain about.

You can sail MSC if that makes you happy, I have sailed them once and they are pretty much a carbon copy of Costa: other than very pretty ships no thank you!!!!

You are right on.:D. Because I am extremely afraid to fly. This limits me to cruising on the west coast. I will only drive. And if the cruise starts one place and ends up in another place, I will book a B2B. <snip> That being said my next cruise on the Sun sails out of San Francisco to Vancouver. I am driving to San Francisco, parking my car for 16 days and one night hotel. In Vancouver I will rent a car, one night hotel and pick up my truck in San Francisco. <snip> ;p

I am sure you will double-check with the car rental company about driving into the US with a Canadian car. You could always take Amtrak to Seattle and then rent there.

https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Vancouver

Your price has gone up since 2010; wow: so has meat prices, produce, homes, etc. How shocking!!!!:o

As for FDR, yes, at the beginning of the take over things did change and not all for the good, but since then I have seen an improvement in food, love the AI plan and still have not much to complain about.

You can sail MSC if that makes you happy, I have sailed them once and they are pretty much a carbon copy of Costa: other than very pretty ships no thank you!!!!

Oh please. I know you fester anytime anyone says something that is not 100% positive about NCL. Of course everything has went up. But my airfares, food, and other vacations have not doubled over the past few years. I have no problems with mild price increases. What I have a problem is the giant cut backs all over the ships from entertainment to food, etc at the same time prices have went way up. I am not the other one. I have found many others over on the MSC board that were once very loyal NCL cruisers.

I get it. If NCL hit you over the head with a frying pan on your next embarkation, you would say how wonderful the experience was and would flame anyone that thought otherwise. ;p

I don't think hot dogs as an entre at restaurants is an improvement IMHO.

Edited by david_sobe

In the Fall of 2015 ( just 11/2 years ago) the promo included the 7 day meal plan, and UBP. Also, my Haven spa suite was 2500k less than it is today. You did not have to pay taxes or gratuities on the meal or beverage plan promo, even if you weren't in the Haven. These are significant increases....

I went to book the Epic for a Western Mediterranean Cruise for fall of 2018 and the Haven Spa suite was $3899 per person. The list price for that suite was never more than $2499 just a year or so ago. Prior to final payment it would drop even more...

Edited by roddy good boy

I am sure you will double-check with the car rental company about driving into the US with a Canadian car. You could always take Amtrak to Seattle and then rent there.

https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Vancouver

Why would they let me rent then:confused:. It is my understanding that many cruisers have done one way rentals between Seattle and Vancouver. I now maybe wrong but I am thinking that both Canadian and USA rentals are at in both cities. I am thinking Alamo will give me a USA car since I am driving to SF. But thank you for your commit. Never thought of it that way:).

You are right Harz99, more often than not, we in the North American market, don't take into account the different pricing, different packages and the current exchange rates when responding in this forum to UK and European passengers. One example is the UK all inclusive package that is now offered. I guess, there are so many complaint posts that the message gets overlooked.