Goodbye to Free Burgers and Mast Grill ???

chamima

Don, Maybe if you type slower they'll understand what you mean by it's not about the burger. BTW I got it. :D

Just because some have differing opinions doesn't mean they need "slower typing." I for one understood Don's post, but chose to offer another view.:rolleyes:

It was my understanding that they were at the buffet grill area, so you would be able to get a freshly cooked one, just at a different location. (Of course, I'm sure they'll have some ready to just pick up and go.)

On the Eclipse this past January in the buffet where they had the grilled the burgers (see my picture posted much earlier in this thread) and grilled the steaks in the evening... I tried that. I asked the crew member behind the counter for a medium rare steak please. He pointed his tongs at a pan sitting with several pre overcooked steaks and told me to take one of those.

Only after I asked him, Do you mean to tell me that you're refusing to cook me a fresh steak, did he begrudgingly cook me one.

On the Eclipse this past January in the buffet where they had the grilled the burgers (see my picture posted much earlier in this thread) and grilled the steaks in the evening... I tried that. I asked the crew member behind the counter for a medium rare steak please. He pointed his tongs at a pan sitting with several pre overcooked steaks and told me to take one of those.

Only after I asked him, Do you mean to tell me that you're refusing to cook me a fresh steak, did he begrudgingly cook me one.

And I bet that if you said "I'd like a freshly grilled one please," he'd also have done it.:p

It's very hard to get anything freshly cooked in the OVC, other than omelets in the morning at the omelet station, even the waffles are all pre-made sitting in a tin. If you ask them to make you a fresh one you would think it was the end of the world.

In my opinion, this is the kind of thing that makes long time Celebrity passengers upset. We use to be able to get things like this freshly made with no problems. Great service and great food. Now it seems like we are in inconvenience when we don't go and pay extra for the food that is already suppose to be included in our cruise fare.

It was my understanding that they were at the buffet grill area, so you would be able to get a freshly cooked one, just at a different location. (Of course, I'm sure they'll have some ready to just pick up and go.)

And what about when someone returns from an excursion at 3 or 4 o'clock?

Buffet is closed.

What about that?

We often will do a quick walk around a port, come back to the ship, put on bathing suits and go out to the pool.

So $10 for the "privilege" of eating (a veggie burger!) outside of proscribed meal times???:(

Maybe it's me, but I've had no problems getting waffles fresh, also as was said, omelets as well as eggs benedict, stir fry, pasta, steaks, burgers. I always ask with a smile and patiently wait while my food is cooked to order. In fact, I've found that even with the larger passenger load that the S-class ships are more efficient at doing it.

Buffet is closed.

What about that?

We often will do a quick walk around a port, come back to the ship, put on bathing suits and go out to the pool.

So $10 for the "privilege" of eating (a veggie burger!) outside of proscribed meal times???:(

No answer for that one!

Yeah the tray with different dressings I meant. Obviously on your cruise they had it, our last time in Alaska you needed to talk the particular dressing you would like to have, no tray anymore.

And you also have been dining in MDR? Or Blu...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

At the risk of being reminded by some that there are other cruise lines out there if I am not satisfied with Celebrity, I would say that a tray offering the daily choice of dressing is not much of a big deal in the overall scheme of things, but the fact that it was offered on one sailing and not on another is, while not actually a cut back, an example of how Celebrity is slipping with attention to detail.That used to be a hallmark of Celebrity. They also used to offer you freshly gound pepper as part of the table service. Now you get a salt & pepper shaker.

Buffet is closed.

What about that?

It is not completely closed. They still had pizza, pasta, salads, small sandwiches, and desserts available

At the risk of being reminded by some that there are other cruise lines out there if I am not satisfied with Celebrity, I would say that a tray offering the daily choice of dressing is not much of a big deal in the overall scheme of things, but the fact that it was offered on one sailing and not on another is, while not actually a cut back, an example of how Celebrity is slipping with attention to detail.That used to be a hallmark of Celebrity. They also used to offer you freshly gound pepper as part of the table service. Now you get a salt & pepper shaker.

Just returned form a 10 day cruise and were offered dressing choices on a try each time. Most restaurants stopped doing the pepper grinder offering. Waste of time and phony.

It's very hard to get anything freshly cooked in the OVC, other than omelets in the morning at the omelet station, even the waffles are all pre-made sitting in a tin. If you ask them to make you a fresh one you would think it was the end of the world.

In my opinion, this is the kind of thing that makes long time Celebrity passengers upset. We use to be able to get things like this freshly made with no problems. Great service and great food. Now it seems like we are in inconvenience when we don't go and pay extra for the food that is already suppose to be included in our cruise fare.

Willingness to grill fresh varies from ship to ship. During lunch M class seems more flexible than S, but at dinner time grilled to order has been the norm on every ship we've recently been on. On Summit last September (believe you were also on that sailing as we outran Hermine) grill in the rear ONLY cooked to order in the evening. Friendly service and never crowded. For breakfast if waffles look old, just wait for a new batch. They seem to appear every few minutes.

Since they get their tips anyway, there is no incentive to do anymore than they have to. Some do in hopes of getting a little extra, some don't because there is no guarantee of an extra tip or they are happy with the money they make by doing the bare minimum.

Since they get their tips anyway, there is no incentive to do anymore than they have to. Some do in hopes of getting a little extra, some don't because there is no guarantee of an extra tip or they are happy with the money they make by doing the bare minimum.

The cooks receive tips? :confused:

The cooks receive tips? :confused:

How do you know it was a cook? I don't recall seeing any grill tops on that end of the line. The burgers I've seen, in the buffet, was right before the mexican food station and the desserts on the corner.

Last December, DW and I were on the Eclipse (14 day Caribbean) when we decided to stay aboard during a port day (we love being aboard when most others are gone). I decided to get a burger...which I wanted cooked the rarest allowable (which is still medium well). I went up to the grill where there was no line and ask for the rarest burger. The cook pulled one of the already cooked (and cold) burgers out of his large pan (filled with cooked and cold burgers) and tossed it on the grill. I politely told him I wanted a freshly cooked burger...as rare as allowed....and he simply refused. He explained that he had to use the cooked burgers before he could start cooking new burgers. We politely nodded and walked away!

I should add that since another post mentioned HAL...this does not happen on that line in their "Dive In" Grill. Burgers are made to order (they give you beeper so you do not have to wait around the grill) and you never get a previously grilled burger (left to cool in a pan). And there are no extra charges for that service.

Hank

Last December, DW and I were on the Eclipse (14 day Caribbean) when we decided to stay aboard during a port day (we love being aboard when most others are gone). I decided to get a burger...which I wanted cooked the rarest allowable (which is still medium well). I went up to the grill where there was no line and ask for the rarest burger. The cook pulled one of the already cooked (and cold) burgers out of his large pan (filled with cooked and cold burgers) and tossed it on the grill. I politely told him I wanted a freshly cooked burger...as rare as allowed....and he simply refused. He explained that he had to use the cooked burgers before he could start cooking new burgers. We politely nodded and walked away!

I should add that since another post mentioned HAL...this does not happen on that line in their "Dive In" Grill. Burgers are made to order (they give you beeper so you do not have to wait around the grill) and you never get a previously grilled burger (left to cool in a pan). And there are no extra charges for that service.

Hank

I like grilled to order burgers. Sounds like a customer oriented feature! The benefit is a fresh burger AND the sense of personal service/cooked just for you. Also like the idea of it included in your fare price.

I like grilled to order burgers. Sounds like a customer oriented feature! The benefit is a fresh burger AND the sense of personal service/cooked just for you. Also like the idea of it included in your fare price.

So the marketing people determined that they are better off NOT raising cruise fare $2 per person and better off keeping the price point lower and charging $10 per burger. As a customer, the burger is not going drive me to or away from Celebrity. I have thought all along that Celebrity pushes the envelope on a la carte cruising whether it's segmentation of drink packages, the most highly priced specialty restaurants, to the Aqua Class concept and more.

So the marketing people determined that they are better off NOT raising cruise fare $2 per person and better off keeping the price point lower and charging $10 per burger. As a customer, the burger is not going drive me to or away from Celebrity. I have thought all along that Celebrity pushes the envelope on a la carte cruising whether it's segmentation of drink packages, the most highly priced specialty restaurants, to the Aqua Class concept and more.
It was less then 5 years ago when I cruised on the Summit . I did not think that Celebrity pushed " the envelope on a la carte cruising " at that time . I certainly agree with you that they are doing so since then and this approach is picking up steam .:mad:

Willingness to grill fresh varies from ship to ship. During lunch M class seems more flexible than S, but at dinner time grilled to order has been the norm on every ship we've recently been on. On Summit last September (believe you were also on that sailing as we outran Hermine) grill in the rear ONLY cooked to order in the evening. Friendly service and never crowded. For breakfast if waffles look old, just wait for a new batch. They seem to appear every few minutes.

Yes we were on that cruise and I have video of the waves and wind from Hermine.

We only visit the OV for breakfast lunch. We have never gone up for dinner. Though I have heard good reviews of the food up there in the evening.

See here's the thing I shouldn't have to wait for them to make a fresh batch of waffles, when they first started making them they were made fresh to order but since cutbacks in crew and staff now the are mostly pre-made and left in the pan. Same thing with the burgers at the pool area.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Forums mobile app