Goodbye to Free Burgers and Mast Grill ???

chamima

Dave, I understand. McD and BK have large followings. But isn't judging the Celebrity burger against a fast rood restaurant a pretty low bar? rofl

At least the $10 "gourmet" burger will be cheaper at the pool than the $12 Gastrobar burger.

Not the point, the mast grill was free and very accessible in an area that had already been dumbed down.

Putting Deposit Down on Exotic 7 Day Caribbean Cruise: $400

Pre Booking Fabulous Shore Excursions in Caribbean: $500

Enjoying an Incredible 7 Day Caribbean Cruise: $2,000

Reading 37 pages of posts on the Cruise Critic

about Hamburgers on Celebrity: PRICELESS !

(no explanation required)

I'm Redneck Bob and "I see it like I tell it, I mean tell it like I see it"

I really dislike, if even all fastfood items are upon charge now! [emoji35]

Saving costs and charging more and more products is no premium anymore. I already disliked it with the Sushi, but even charging Burger and fast food items is simply pathetic...

Princess has done it the better way: rolling outa new burger grill with new cost-free items, and offering two items upon charge. That's okay.

And they're doing it the same way with speciality eateries: free breakfast and lunch as buffet style, and charging for dinner.

Celebrity is no premium anymore, with reducing all those free premium items.

They're developing as Costa Cruises for "rich"...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Putting Deposit Down on Exotic 7 Day Caribbean Cruise: $400

Pre Booking Fabulous Shore Excursions in Caribbean: $500

Enjoying an Incredible 7 Day Caribbean Cruise: $2,000

Reading 37 pages of posts on the Cruise Critic

about Hamburgers on Celebrity: PRICELESS !

I'm Redneck Bob and "I see it like I tell it, I mean tell it like I see it"

You must of read some pages twice as there are only 33 pages as of now, but come back, there is more to come! :)

You must of read some pages twice as there are only 33 pages as of now, but come back, there is more to come! :)

There are actually two threads ongoing about the new, improved and expensive burgers; currently 4 pages long plus 33 pages on this thread equals 37.

I really dislike, if even all fastfood items are upon charge now! [emoji35]

Saving costs and charging more and more products is no premium anymore. I already disliked it with the Sushi, but even charging Burger and fast food items is simply pathetic...

Princess has done it the better way: rolling outa new burger grill with new cost-free items, and offering two items upon charge. That's okay.

And they're doing it the same way with speciality eateries: free breakfast and lunch as buffet style, and charging for dinner.

Yup . It's replacing fastfood with extra fee fast food that's insulting .

Maybe it seems like there are more then 33 pages . Maybe a lot more .

Max, I am with you on the burgers (and maybe the Sushi). I also do not think it is the right way to go.

However, stop your anti-Celebrity and pro-Princess crusade. You keep mentioning all over Celebrity is no premium any more... When have you been on a Celebrity ship last? How many times was it?

I think it´s for the experienced and recent Celebrity cruisers to decide if they think it´s premium or not but not for one who´s been on a Celebrity ship one or two times years back.

Hello Oliver,

Well, nice to see you agree with my point of view regarding the charge for burgers and sushi items. :)

The reason why I am comparing between X and Princess is: X is always communicated as THE premium line and I am seeing such changes, and comparing that with my last Princess experience I know which one I would prefer.

I do not mention X is less premium because I like to bash them, but because I am a little disappointed with the current changes... :(

I am keen to know how HAL compares to those other two lines. I'll find out in summer, on Koningsdam. But according to my current sources and channels, I should be satisfied with them, since there's less extra charge or cost cutting.

Max, I am with you on the burgers (and maybe the Sushi). I also do not think it is the right way to go.

However, stop your anti-Celebrity and pro-Princess crusade. You keep mentioning all over Celebrity is no premium any more... When have you been on a Celebrity ship last? How many times was it?

I think it´s for the experienced and recent Celebrity cruisers to decide if they think it´s premium or not but not for one who´s been on a Celebrity ship one or two times years back.

Really ? . Are you saying that only those who have cruised X multiple times in the last very few years have the right to comment ? Although their experience is valuable , it is from a very small group . A small group whose experience is far different then the vast population of less experienced cruisers . Even more so when the vast majority of their recent cruises have been on 1 or 2 cruise lines .Also this mega-cruise group may normally cruise in specific (upper level) cabin category . How will their advice help a family of 4 in an OV ?

It's like asking the 1%ers for financial advice . Yes they can offer tips but from a very specific vantage point .

Edited by richstowe

Really ? . Are you saying that only those who have cruised X multiple times in the last very few years have the right to comment ? ...

Nope, not saying that at all ;):rolleyes:

I guess Max, the one addressed, knows exactly what I am saying.

In a nutshell for you... having cruised with a cruise line many many years back once (or two times) certainly allows him to have an opinion... (which btw that time made him the greatest Celebrity disciple ever if I remember correctly).

However, it hardly qualifies him to go on a bashing crusade all over social media on recent topics (food, service etc.) based on hearsay and no experience... that is what I am saying.

And, while of course everybody has a right to comment and to his own opinion, I also think that the opinions on recent topics (good or bad) of "those who have cruised X multiple times in the last very few years" (as you put it) are probably more reliable and fact based than of those just reading on CC or elsewhere about it- regardless if suite or OV family of 4.

Edited by Miaminice

Hello Oliver,

Well, nice to see you agree with my point of view regarding the charge for burgers and sushi items. :)

The reason why I am comparing between X and Princess is: X is always communicated as THE premium line and I am seeing such changes, and comparing that with my last Princess experience I know which one I would prefer.

I do not mention X is less premium because I like to bash them, but because I am a little disappointed with the current changes... :(

I am keen to know how HAL compares to those other two lines. I'll find out in summer, on Koningsdam. But according to my current sources and channels, I should be satisfied with them, since there's less extra charge or cost cutting.

I'm sure you will enjoy the Dive-In burger bar . Even better then the burgers , there should be an excellent taco/salad bar in front .

The two brands have their differences but one thing for sure ,you will find less nickle and diming on HAL. ( I hope some will permit me to say so :p)

Change is what it is. Deciding if the change it better or worse is very individual. I occasionally enjoy an freshly grilled greasy hamburger or hot dog and fries at the pool as a guilty pleasure. I will not be paying extra for mundane fare which IMHO should be included with the cruise fare. To me, no matter how you dress them up, they are not worth extra cost. Put lipstick on a pig and it's still a pig. I can get them at any number of fast food places at home, and better ones from my grill on the patio at my home. My choice, and I'm not telling others to follow suit.

I know what Oliver is saying, yes.

As well it is right that I really liked Celebrity when we stared to sail on them in 2013, and I've been in them in 2014/15 as well.

I go further: the M-Class itself is a really great hardware, IMHO!

Maybe I started to love X because or two cruises before have been on Costa [emoji28]

So not many many years back, but roughly two years ago I've been sailing with X, which is still recent, imho.

And that imho qualifies me to judge the current way X is going.

We've also experienced some cut backs in 2015, compared to the cruises before.

And while quality of food and service members differ from ship to ship, there's changes going over fleetwide sooner or later, such as dropping down Sushi for free, no brunch anymore (and even no tea-time) or staring to charge for fast food. And those things you can read without having sailed the particular line just a month ago... [emoji6]

And the more the cost cuttings are going on, the less attractive the line is for me, since there's enough competitors doing it way better!

Sarcasm: when does X charge you for the Lawn Club, the more silent sun decks, or the Oceanview terrace? :D

I'm sure you will enjoy the Dive-In burger bar . Even better then the burgers , there should be an excellent taco/salad bar in front .

The two brands have their differences but one thing for sure ,you will find less nickle and diming on HAL. ( I hope some will permit me to say so :p)

I hope I will like. Of course burgers are not my main purpose for a cruise, but why not trying out one? And tacos? That sounds nice.

I am really thrilled to see what Koningsdam and HAL have to offer. :)

Getting back to the original question...I heard back from my friend who is on the Constellation now and he said

"New info from friends who dined at Mast Grill today: Apparently, no more free burgers there. (Small, well done free burgers, cheeseburgers and hot dogs are available at a grill station in the Oceanview buffet.)

At Mast Grill, 4oz burgers are $5, 8oz are $10. However, with no one ahead of them and 9 people behind the counter, it took 10 minutes to get their burgers. Staff didn't know what they were doing"

Again, makes glad that burgers and hot dogs have been off my diet for 3 years now.....

Getting back to the original question...I heard back from my friend who is on the Constellation now and he said

"New info from friends who dined at Mast Grill today: Apparently, no more free burgers there. (Small, well done free burgers, cheeseburgers and hot dogs are available at a grill station in the Oceanview buffet.)

At Mast Grill, 4oz burgers are $5, 8oz are $10. However, with no one ahead of them and 9 people behind the counter, it took 10 minutes to get their burgers. Staff didn't know what they were doing"

Again, makes glad that burgers and hot dogs have been off my diet for 3 years now.....

To be fair, 9 people can't cook a burger any faster than 1, and 10 minutes is about what it would take to grill a fresh one on my backyard grill. For $10 they'd better be super fresh.

Curious why they now have staff of 9 when previously only needed two. Sounds like another X success story like BO5 and SO5 where staff outnumber customers.

In addition to it's excellent Dive In on the Lido deck, one deck up by a short staircase you'll find the New York Deli & Pizza. The latter serves a wide selection of delicious made-to-order deli sandwiches in addition to very tasty pizza and quickly became our go-to location for lunch. Great food and service, all free. I'm sure you'll be very satisfied dining aboard the K'dam.

So sad to see all these changes in charging for food etc . . .we have a cruise scheduled for November 2018 . . can't wait to find out what else they are going to cut out. But the other side of the coin is that between booking this next cruise on bard of our last cruise, and using cruise.com and one other thing I can't remember . . . we have about $650 OBC , free classic drink package and pre paid gratuities . . . I guess they have to pay for the promo's by charging for the burgers. Just a thought.

Seriously? A bit extreme don't you think?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Well one should take such comments with a certain grain of salt - but however, I do not find it to be extreme, since the charges for fast food (!) are not the only cost-cutting factors Celebrity is implementing, look at Sushi, too.

And with all those saving and cost-cutting meausrements this cruise line is abolishing itself, that's very sad to see, because the ships themselves (at least I can speak for M-Class) are really appealing and comfortable, IMHO.

But cutting the signature brunch, sushi, removing the dressing service in MDR for salads, rising prices and charging more and more causes a change from premium to standard.

Sorry, even the middle class parent company Royal Caribbean offers more value for money...