Goodbye to Free Burgers and Mast Grill ???

chamima

I would expect to pay more for the Edge than what I am paying for my cruise this coming January. It is a new ship with some very interesting new things that are not on the other ships. For it to be only $500 more per person versus a cruise 8 years ago doesn't seem that too large of an increase based on there being 8 years between cruises and it being a brand new ship.

But that was when the brand new Solstice class had just come out, so I thought it was comparable. So, I don't see prices coming down with X.

But that was when the brand new Solstice class had just come out, so I thought it was comparable. So, I don't see prices coming down with X.
I wouldn't expect prices to come down, because costs of goods and services are always going up, but I feel Celebrity has done a good job over the years at keeping the prices down, especially if you look at the prices 20 or 30 years ago. Even though both ships were new, you are still looking at an 8 year span between the two cruises. I just purchased a new car last year and it was much more expensive then the one I purchase 3 years ago and even though it was a similar car, I would have never thought the price should be the same or similar. I'd love to pay less each year for my cruises, but I understand that Celebrity, just like every other company, has to make money to stay in business. If they ever price me out, I'll just spend those dollars else where.

. If they ever price me out, I'll just spend those dollars else where.

And that's what I and others are saying, the value for the price is no longer there. FOR US. The value may be there for you and that's great for you.

I'm prepared to pay more for a better experience, but Celebrity wants me to pay more for a lesser experience.

That's why Oceania got our January 2017 cruise.

Not saying I'll never sail Celebrity again, just that there is better value for me with other cruise lines

And that's what I and others are saying, the value for the price is no longer there. FOR US. The value may be there for you and that's great for you.

I'm prepared to pay more for a better experience, but Celebrity wants me to pay more for a lesser experience.

That's why Oceania got our January 2017 cruise.

Not saying I'll never sail Celebrity again, just that there is better value for me with other cruise lines

Thankfully there are a ton of cruise lines to pick from. Hopefully your Oceania experience is all that you expect it to be. But please understand, that even though some, like you, don't feel there is the value in Celebrity, there are those, like me, that still feels that the experience is a good value. Neither of us are wrong, just voicing differing opinions.

I wouldn't expect prices to come down, because costs of goods and services are always going up, but I feel Celebrity has done a good job over the years at keeping the prices down, especially if you look at the prices 20 or 30 years ago. Even though both ships were new, you are still looking at an 8 year span between the two cruises. I just purchased a new car last year and it was much more expensive then the one I purchase 3 years ago and even though it was a similar car, I would have never thought the price should be the same or similar. I'd love to pay less each year for my cruises, but I understand that Celebrity, just like every other company, has to make money to stay in business. If they ever price me out, I'll just spend those dollars else where.

I only mentioned the price increase because of your statement, "but we fail to remember what we paid years ago and that our cruises today are priced similarly as they were back then, even though overall prices have gone up on goods and services used by the cruise lines." I still believe that cruises are normally a reasonably priced vacation.

I only mentioned the price increase because of your statement, "but we fail to remember what we paid years ago and that our cruises today are priced similarly as they were back then, even though overall prices have gone up on goods and services used by the cruise lines." I still believe that cruises are normally a reasonably priced vacation.
Yes, and my first ever cruise on Celebrity was priced similarly to my upcoming January cruise and that was my point.

Some need to face the reality that Celebrity is truly not a luxury cruise line. It is a very good cruise line and there is no problem shopping around. This may offend some 'cheerleaders'.

Some need to face the reality that Celebrity is truly not a luxury cruise line. It is a very good cruise line and there is no problem shopping around. This may offend some 'cheerleaders'.
I've never read anyone saying Celebrity is a luxury cruise line; it isn't now nor has it ever been, even in the olden days. Now, Crystal is a luxury line. Let's face it, there are cheerleaders and there are jeerleaders and no one should be offended by someone else's opinion, because some like the cruising experience on Celebrity and some don't like it.

I've never read anyone saying Celebrity is a luxury cruise line; it isn't now nor has it ever been, even in the olden days. Now, Crystal is a luxury line. .

Celebrity use the term Modern Luxury. People who have never cruised with Celebrity and see that term used in the marketing and seeing the price differential between Celebrity and RCL on some cruises (Med this summer for example) could be forgiven for thinking it will be a luxury cruise line.

Celebrity use the term Modern Luxury. People who have never cruised with Celebrity and see that term used in the marketing and seeing the price differential between Celebrity and RCL on some cruises (Med this summer for example) could be forgiven for thinking it will be a luxury cruise line.

Remember when Celebrity's tag line was "let us exceed your expectations."

Perhaps their new slogan could be

WE WILL TREAT YOU LIKE A Piñata

Well, they'll be a lot smarter when they get home.:evilsmile:

Burgers and Franks are among the cheapest foods you can serve to mass market cruisers. It's a win win for large cruiselines to give them away for free as it costs them virtually nothing. They would not charge for these.....Perhaps offer an upgrade fee to a triple or something along the line but the burgers fries and franks I would never expect them to charge.

I don't eat these burgers and the smell on deck repels me. That said, when I was young and worked on a buffet at a restaurant down south....every salad we sold used Triple heavy Hellmans Mayo.....We peeled more potatoes then you can imagine and always baked fresh smelly breads....the key was to "fillem up with the heavy, before they got to the fried shrimp and Chicken and Pork items which atually cost $$".....Also, only a manager could fill up seafood or meat at the restaurant which meant people always had to wait more and of course ate more heavy foods......There is always a strategy!

Based on the Royal Caribbean Corp. discussion with stock brokers, increased profits come from the following:

a) higher cruise ticket prices

b) lower costs (the cutbacks everyone complains about)

c) Internet and beverage packages

d) Increased onboard spending**

e) Lower operating costs per/passenger on the newer ships from advanced propulsion technology and higher passenger capacity

** The cruise lines have found that when things are purchased in advance (example: shore excursions, Internet), passengers will tend to spend more $$$ on other things on board during the cruise.

What has MSC done to "reduce the value?" I've sailed MSC Divina four times, once in a regular balcony and three times in the Yacht Club and the experience in YC was fantastic and the price made it even better.

As said, prices have increased.

Same product + increase in prices = reduction in value.

Yes, and my first ever cruise on Celebrity was priced similarly to my upcoming January cruise and that was my point.

Unfortunately my first ever Celebrity cruise was about a quarter the price of the most recent sailing on a comparable cabin/itinerary basis. Inflation, there's been a lot!

And when you compare that with a significant downgrade of the inclusions and quality onboard in that time, that's a massive difference in experience, and the value is no longer there.

I would take a look at what was included and compare. You will see a difference.

I have taken the averages of what I have paid for cruises over the years and compared it to recent cruises. I have seen a price increase with a decrease of included amenities. Just take a look in your original booklet and compare...

Increased dividends = happy shareholders.

You consider 1.75% annualized dividend good? I'm a shareholder and am happier when the price appreciates substantially. Their dividend is less than the average dividend.

That's why as a shareholder I am happy, happy, happy with the cuts and price increases. As a cruiser, not so much.