Goodbye to Free Burgers and Mast Grill ???

chamima

We have mixed feelings about this. Our experience with Mast burgers is that the majority of the time they are dry hockey pucks. Yes we could stand there for 5+ minutes while they make a "fresh" over cooked burger, but seriously it's only slightly better.

Are we talking about taking ground beef, albeit previously frozen, and hand forming a patty, cooking it to my desired temperature (medium not charred) and serving it with my choice of toppings? Count me in, I'll pay for that.

Are we talking about a mass pressed frozen patty slapped on a grill until it's over cooked... forget it.

Regardless of the quality, here's the problem we have. When we have a full day ashore we frequently arrive back onboard hungry. It's also frequently as the Oceanview is getting ready to close and there's almost nothing available or they just closed to prepare for dinner. The Mast has always been our go to stop, even if it's just for fries or half of a dry burger. Okay, sometimes it really hits the spot.

We are not okay with the ONLY late afternoon food option, when Oceanview is closed, being something we have to pay for. Not acceptable. Turn a Mast into a fee based option, but you better have something else that's free open.

One other thing. Someone else mentioned what's next, pay for Pizza? Can they please close the glass show, install outdoor pizza ovens, and make hand made Italian personal pizzas. Yes, we will gladly pay for that.

Been reading about burgers, soda cans, cut backs for the past few week. IMHO the majority of people who take cruises don't even know about this issue, will pay whatever the cruise line says and cannot be bother to read travel forum like this one.

Edited by dandee2
added a word

In discussing cutbacks, I just came across the physical ticket booklet for my honeymoon cruise on Princess in 1998. We had a mid category balcony on what I think was an 11 day cruise. It was 4000.00 each, so figure about 367 per day.

Fast forward to now - our last cruise in a suite was about 6000 for 16 days - roughly 375. So the price difference per day was small, so I think we can assume that a suite 1998 would have been more than now.

My point- cutbacks, yes, but the price has dropped accordingly.

Isn't that the beauty of cruising. If you don't want to pay extra for your food, it is included, but for those that have no issues dining in the specialty restaurants, they have that option.

It's not so beautiful though when the included food is barely average and limited in range, so that if you want something beyond just basic it's no longer an option but you have to shell out more.

I don't particularly like AI resorts; I've been to a couple and I found them not to be my cup of tea, as I was bored being at the same location day in and day out and I'm not a big sun person. I wouldn't stay at an AI land resort to save money, I'd rather go on a cruise, go on a road trip, go to Las Vegas, then being stuck at a resort, where it is the same thing every day. I have friends who love AI resorts (and obviously you do as well) and I have friends who hate cruising; it ends up being what one likes and how they want to spend their vacation dollars.

AI's are like cruises in a lot of ways. You have to choose the one's that match your personal travel style. Staying on site for the whole vacation is like staying on the ship for the whole cruise. Some folks will like it and some will be bored. If you are bored, then take some excursions.

Personally, I love most types of travel. AI's, cruises, road trips, pretty much anything but camping these days. Going to a new city or country or lake or mountains or desert is better than staying at home any day. I'll certainly cruise again, but it won't be on X unless they stop their 'death by a thousand cuts' policies.

The best part of the Mast Grill are the grilled onions and grilled mushrooms. Add a buttered roll, plenty of ketchup and mayo and it will disguise the taste of those hockey pucks.

As for the Lawn Club, if people are willing to pay $15 for a burger that is labeled "Gourmet", that sends a special message to the company. It appears to be a winning concept.

One solution for Celebrity to consider is to provide passengers both options. Top Deck Burger Bar for those who want a better burger for a fee. Also have some type of cart near the pool area with free standard burgers and hot dogs so people do not have to go into the Oceanview Cafe in wet swimwear. The standard option would be the same food as served inside but just carted out to the pool. I am sailing on Connie in 2 weeks so I am looking forward to seeing the Top Deck and will report back here.

AI's are like cruises in a lot of ways. You have to choose the one's that match your personal travel style. Staying on site for the whole vacation is like staying on the ship for the whole cruise. Some folks will like it and some will be bored. If you are bored, then take some excursions.

Personally, I love most types of travel. AI's, cruises, road trips, pretty much anything but camping these days. Going to a new city or country or lake or mountains or desert is better than staying at home any day. I'll certainly cruise again, but it won't be on X unless they stop their 'death by a thousand cuts' policies.

At least on a cruise, I can get off at ports and see new locations, people, etc.

I'm with you on camping. Had to camp a couple days in Uganda when trekking up to sit with the gorillas and sleeping in a tent and outdoor facilities are not for me, but I'll suffer through it for the right experience.

May I suggest Crystal as a replacement for Celebrity. I also cruise with them and the service, inclusions, etc. are fantastic.

At least on a cruise, I can get off at ports and see new locations, people, etc.

I'm with you on camping. Had to camp a couple days in Uganda when trekking up to sit with the gorillas and sleeping in a tent and outdoor facilities are not for me, but I'll suffer through it for the right experience.

May I suggest Crystal as a replacement for Celebrity. I also cruise with them and the service, inclusions, etc. are fantastic.

Crystal will cost you a considerable amount more than X.

You could get quite a few $10 or $15 burgers with the difference in the fares between them.

My next cruise will likely be on Windstar. Small ships. Amazing food. Excellent staff. Nice cabins. No kids. Interesting port talks that aren't just 'who paid us to get you to shop there'. Longer time in some ports. Water toys off the back of the ship. No yard sales. Starts around $1200 USD per week for ocean view.

My next cruise will likely be on Windstar. Small ships. Amazing food. Excellent staff. Nice cabins. No kids. Interesting port talks that aren't just 'who paid us to get you to shop there'. Longer time in some ports. Water toys off the back of the ship. No yard sales. Starts around $1200 USD per week for ocean view.
I'll have to look into them. Thanks.

This is the reason I've switched to Oceania, great food and service throughout the entire ship and no charge!

Their Kobe Beef hamburgers with truffle hand-cut fries are to die for. You just walk up to the server, give him your order, he gives you a number, you sit down, someone comes over and asks you what you would like to drink and the food is served to you....this is in their pool area called Waves Grill.

My February cruise with X will cost more than the last one we took with Windstar. Mind you, small ship is not for everybody, its lacks activities and venues and the last time we were aboard, did not have "Gourmet" burger. :D

My February cruise with X will cost more than the last one we took with Windstar. Mind you, small ship is not for everybody, its lacks activities and venues and the last time we were aboard, did not have "Gourmet" burger. :D

For sure anyone thinking of a much smaller ship should do plenty of homework to make sure they know what they are booking. I plan to do that. We have friends that are booking a European river cruise and understand the differences, but want to try the river experience.

We think we might enjoy that too, but not in the next few years.

NOT paying extra...

Looks like we'll leave 1 of us to save the pool loungers..while the other trudges to the buffet to bring back the free burgers, dogs, chicken and quick lunch fixins..all without trays in the buffet..

Not very convenient...predict alot of food mess and spillage along the way

More Modern Luxury!

In all our X cruise, 27, I don't remember burgers being served anywhere in the buffet itself. You had to go,to the mast grill for a burger or hot dog. Unless they start offering burgers at the buffet you'll have to pay to get one.

I have been a loyal X customer. We are less than a hundred points towards elite plus. However, after the Bistro went to a charge venue, then the lawn club, now the mast grill, my loyalties will be with either X or HAL, whoever has the lower fares. RCCL ships are way too big, sailed Carnival before I knew better, NCL and the other "letter" lines: MCO, etc never have been and never will be on my radar and I can't afford Crystal.

This is enough to prevent me from going to the buffet for a burger. This picture was taken in the Equinox buffet this past December. YUM!

IMG_1825_zpsjaiqp1wk.jpg

You want cheese with that?

In all our X cruise, 27, I don't remember burgers being served anywhere in the buffet itself. You had to go,to the mast grill for a burger or hot dog. Unless they start offering burgers at the buffet you'll have to pay to get one.

Definitely have seen burgers in Oceanview, as has this poster on this thread. And that is just what they looked like.

I have seen hamburgers like this at the pool area grills too. It would have been nice for Celebrity to have upgraded the 'included' burger vs creating a fee based one and then move the included burger to an inconvenient location like the buffet area inside away from where people want to enjoy them while at the pool area.

They still could create a better burger that is included and then for those whose want to spend $$$ have a burger with even more expensive meat, i.e. Kobe or whatever. Kinda like hamburger that is 93/7 vs 80/20 (meat/fat content percentages).

Hope Celebrity does the right thing! They can make a positive change! They can offer both a better free burger than they currently offer and still offer a high priced gourmet burger. They can also cook both to order if needed. Nothing stops them other than a incessant and endless drive for profit over better product/service to their customers.

That would seem to be a novel idea to improve a current product/service vs as it seems lately to improve and charge $$$ or delete/discontinue the product/service. I do think Celebrity does need to review their offerings and periodically adjust, so I am not against that. I don't believe that is what they are doing though. They are looking for how to make more money.