Will Veranda-Only Cruisers Be Happy With Oceanview Alaska?

jasm8449

We always sail on S-Class ships (since they came out), in Veranda cabins....love the balcony, the floor to ceiling window. I have recently begun to require an accessible cabin on our last 2 TA cruises. I spoke with a number of passengers who were just crazy about multiple Alaska cruises (which we have never done).

There is what I consider a post-final payment good deal on an upcoming Solstice Alaska itinerary. The only accessible cabin available is an Oceanview on Deck 3. Even if there was a Veranda available, it would be $2000 CDN more for the cabin.

It's been so many years since we had an Oceanview (M-Class).

Expecting that the weather will be chilly for balcony use, does anyone have an opinion as to whether or not a window instead of the large glass balcony door negatively impact our enjoyment of this itinerary?

We love a balcony, always had one. However, on our Alaska cruise in mid July I never used it, except to step outside to see how cold it was, and to take a peek at the scenery. No sitting out there in the late evening. There are plenty of areas to get greater views than the balcony, I'm not sure I'd pay extra again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

To me the choice is easy. If the options are to cruise with an Oceanview or not cruise, I'll definitely choose Oceanview.

We've done Alaska with an Inside (our very first cruise), an Oceanview and a Balcony. Ultimately there is so much to see we've always spent our time on deck to ensure we take in all the sights.

Do it, you won't regret it.

If there is any place you should get a balcony it is Alaska...it is so beautiful and peaceful to step outside and view some of the scenery. We bundled up and sat outside a lot. There are so many opportunities to see wild life if you do this. I think you will be disappointed if you don't get a balcony here.

I think that the accessible cabins are among the first to be booked on an Alaskan cruise. Years ago we did a B2B Alaskan cruise on Carnival. On that cruise there were more passengers using scooters, wheelchairs, and walkers than those that weren't. There was no advantage for people in the line that needed assistance as it seemed as of everyone did. My thought was if this is Carnival how are the other lines?

As for a balcony I think it depends on the time of year if you will use it. We went early June and the balcony was ok when in port. It was very cool to cold when sailing.

We did use it when we sailed into Glacier Bay. The ship does a 180 and you do have the chance to see glaciers.

Anything close to a rail, window and etc in the pubic area that is protected from the elements are at a premium as passengers camp out and never leave. Having a large outiside window in your cabin may be an advantage as you can sit there and enjoy the view without being outside in the cold and being able to get room service.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

If you choose to go with the OV cabin just plan ahead and spend a lot of your time up in Cosmos or what ever they are currently calling that huge glassed in lounge way up top. We loved having our balcony in Alaska, spent a lot of time just sitting out there and watching but we also went upstairs sometimes for a different view. If OV is your only option and you really want to go, go with the knowledge that you will be up and out of the cabin a lot.

We always sail on S-Class ships (since they came out), in Veranda cabins....love the balcony, the floor to ceiling window. I have recently begun to require an accessible cabin on our last 2 TA cruises. I spoke with a number of passengers who were just crazy about multiple Alaska cruises (which we have never done).

There is what I consider a post-final payment good deal on an upcoming Solstice Alaska itinerary. The only accessible cabin available is an Oceanview on Deck 3. Even if there was a Veranda available, it would be $2000 CDN more for the cabin.

Expecting that the weather will be chilly for balcony use, does anyone have an opinion as to whether or not a window instead of the large glass balcony door negatively impact our enjoyment of this itinerary?

We have done both, the Ocean View and the Balcony cabins of almost all the S Class and the M Class on several cruises. On the Alaska cruise we were on the Millennium in August on an Ocean View cabin. We did not need an Accessible Cabin so I can't speak for that part of your question. But otherwise, we noticed only a bit of a difference in the Ocean View and the Balcony, especially on the Solstice. We found that the Ocean View windows on the Solstice to be bigger and better (rectangular) than those on the Millennium (round). There have been times when we have opted for an Ocean View cabin over the Balcony cabins because of the location - a midship Ocean View location to a forward Balcony and never regretted that. The weather can be chilly in June and July and you will probably find that you do not use the balcony much at all. And if the weather is not chilly, you can always go up to the top deck (Deck 15, I believe) and enjoy the scenes and the outside even better - the view is so much better from Deck 15 than from a balcony. Solstice is a beautiful ship and I am sure you will have a great time in your OceanView cabin on the Solstice!

We have sailed to Alaska many times ... going again tomorrow as a matter of fact ... on the Solstice and booked a cabin on deck 3 .... and put quite a bit of research into my decision.

There was a great deal that Celebrity offered on a guaranteed oceanview room and a pretty decent deal offered on a guaranteed balcony...but still above budget so I went for the OV cabin. After reading about the room that they assigned to me, I was happy with my choice.

I have always said, if there is any itinerary where a balcony is invaluable, it is Alaska. However, that was years ago and we have a new found appreciation for OV cabins. We love them! We sailed up to Alaska last August in an OV cabin and it was a great choice. Don't get me wrong, balconies are always lovely but I find very little wrong with a nice OV cabin.

Now, with all that being said, the OV cabins on deck 3 are all the way forward and there are complaints of being so noisy that passengers asked to be moved. For me, I am a light sleeper and it would absolutely ruin my cruise to be in a noisy room.

This is a comment from room 3107 on the Eclipse, which is back a bit but still representative of those forward rooms on deck3 on the S-class ships.

"Horrid. From what we were told by guest relations, cabin is above ships food waste processor. Mechanical sounds, loud splashes as they add water and grinding sounds at all hours, including middle of the night. Otherwise would have been a quiet cabin - no noise from other guests. Grinding in middle of night stopped when we asked what was causing the noise."

This is a comment about 3101 ... one of the accessible rooms on the Solstice:

"This is a "accessible" cabin. We did not request it, but was assigned as a GTY. Thought we would be moved out to accommodate guests who would need it (and we saw a few who should have had it). Cabin itself is very nice, but the issues with noise at night make it very undesirable. On the final night of the cruise I was awakened at 3. VERY NOISY at all hours of the night. Clanging metal, crew parties, maintenance work being done. Terrible cabin."

These comments alone would be enough to make me look elsewhere on the ship for a quiet cabin. Now, for some these rooms might be perfect. I had a friend that was deaf in one ear so said she could take one of these rooms without giving it a second thought.

So, OV ... no problem!! Noisy room, big problem.

Unfortunately, there are no accessible balcony cabins available for this cruise. Only Oceanview.

Our first Alaska cruise was in an oceanview accessible cabin (Celebrity). I was disappointed but the cruise was great. We spent alot of time up on the open decks seeing the sites. We're going to Alaska again this summer (also on Celebrity) and managed to get the last balcony accessible cabin.

Enjoy Alaska - anyway you see it, it's totally worth it.

Those who are touting a balcony, please note that the OP said it would cost them $2000 and the point is moot since there are none available.

It is like when we first starting sailing balcony cabins after they were available, people said "once you have a balcony you will NEVER go back." Have gone back to OV, occasionally, saved a boatload of money and rarely missed the balcony, especially on a port-intensive cruise.

Another factor, in Alaska, if you are in an OV cabin, or one of the enclosed places, you can clearly hear the commentary from the naturalist as it is happening. On a balcony, the announcements are frequently garbled or impossible to hear.

Thanks to all for your input. Cruiseraider - I actually just saw those reviews of the OV accessibles on 3. UGH! For us, no price is worth being stuck in cabins with that kind of noise. So I guess Alaska will have to wait.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We've had balcony cabins for every cruise except one, when we had an OV. On our sole Alaska cruise to date, we had a balcony, but if we take another one, it will be in an OV. We did go on the balcony a few times, but overall considered it a waste of money in hindsight.

We did our first OV cruise this February to Panama Canal. I and my spouse were really worried, having always been in a veranda cabin, but the price was so good we gave it a try. To both of our surprises we did not miss the balcony as much as we thought we would. Given the situation I would book the OV and enjoy the cruise. You might be surprised at how little you miss the balcony, we were.

We were given a balcony for our Alaska cruise, and we only used it once (an hour or so) the entire 10 days. We spent most of our waking hours out on the top deck, in the sunshine, enjoying the all-around views. The balcony was too cold, even in our winter jackets, and the views very limited. We would choose an OV next time even if the price was the same.

Thanks to all for your input. Cruiseraider - I actually just saw those reviews of the OV accessibles on 3. UGH! For us, no price is worth being stuck in cabins with that kind of noise. So I guess Alaska will have to wait.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am with you and more than glad to help!! I would rather be in an inside cabin that a cabin with non-stop noise ... any day, anytime!!! That's how much I hate having a noisy cabin. And ... $2000 more is just way too much to pay for a balcony in my book. My limit is $400! I am booked to go tomorrow and the balcony ended up being $650 more so even with that, I said no! We will enjoy the cruise just as much, I am sure of that ... maybe even more so knowing I saved some significant dollars of my travel budget!!

Don't let Alaska wait too long ... it is truly the most spectacular scenery of any itinerary in this hemisphere!!

We did an aft balcony and loved it. The balcony isn't cold due to no wind and you can see quite well. Loved it. If you plan to stay in your cabin, go for a balcony. However,, if you go with an OV, you can go up to the pool deck to view the glaciers, etc.

APLingras, we are heading out on the Millennium one week from today, northbound out of Vancouver. Are there any thoughts you could share from your cruise last August? What were your "must do's" or favorite ports? We're getting sooo excited!!!

APLingras, we are heading out on the Millennium one week from today, northbound out of Vancouver. Are there any thoughts you could share from your cruise last August? What were your "must do's" or favorite ports? We're getting sooo excited!!!

Our Alaska cruise was also Northbound from Vancouver ending up in Seward.

The best part of the cruise (our view) was a Celebrity Shore Excursion to Yukon Territory - a combination of bus and train ride - we took from Skagway. It is an all day excursion and really worth it.

Mendenhall Glacier Park (also Celebrity Shore Excursion from Juneau) was also very beautiful.

In Juneau right outside the cruise terminal is Mt. Roberts Tramway. It takes you up a steep 1800' hill on a aerial tramway (sort of a cable car) to a park/hiking area. The views from the tramway are fantastic!

If you like to buy T-shirts - In Juneau, right near the cruise terminal, Shirt Company has good Alaska T shirts for very reasonable prices!

There is not much to do in Icy Strait Point. We went on a Whale Watch out of there but saw only one whale - your luck may be different. But we saw many, many whales from the ship itself, especially as we sailed through the Inside Passage.

The cruise is FULL of scenic views. Take warm clothing (May June are chilly) so that you can go up to the upper open deck and enjoy the views and you may need the warm clothes if you go on shore excursions.

You will definitely have a fun time on the cruise - Enjoy!!

I was in your shoes last May. For years we have been cruising only with balconies and I swore I could not live without one. Then we had the option for a super inexpensive price to sail in an OV on back-to-back sailings to Alaska on Millie. We decided we loved Alaska too much not to do it. The first night I was freaking out a little bit - I was used to the larger sized cabins on S class or similar sized AQ or CC on M class. Without the balcony the cabin seemed even smaller. I worried that I couldn't take 15 nights in that cabin. Then I sat back and talked to self, calmed down, and had a cruise experience of a lifetime! We didn't spend much time in the cabin anyway - we often went up to the bar at the front of the ship (can't recall the specific name on Millie) and sat there and enjoyed the scenery. Evenings we spent in Rendezvous and/or the Martini Bar, took in some shows, and overall had a great time.

Would I rather have a balcony? Any day. Would I take an OV on a Caribbean cruise or a cruise with a lot of sea days? Nope. But for that particular experience the OV was no issue at all. Enjoy!!

We did OV to Alaska last September. 3114. Our cabin had an oversize window - it was part of the conference rooms that were converted to cabins a while back. Loved it. Huge window, less price. :)