Officers in their handsome dress whites on Gala Nights.

sail7seas

Rarely did we see any officer at any time on our last 21 day cruise let alone on Gala nights.

DITTO THAT ! Only officer's I have seen on 4 HAL Cruises in last 15 months is an Officer apparently with wife or significant other on GALA nights dining alone on several occasions.

I do go back far enough to remember when each Senior Officer would host a large table by invitation. i.e. any MD's on board would be invited to the ship's doctor's table.

Sail - as your post was mostly not there I am not sure what you meant to write about - but - if it had anything to do with how wonderful it used to be when guests and crew dressed for formal nights - I am with you. I remember nights when women wore designer gowns and men wore Tux and shiny shoes. The ships officers were all stunning in their uniforms.

It is easier today - but I do miss that time gone by.

DITTO THAT ! Only officer's I have seen on 4 HAL Cruises in last 15 months is an Officer apparently with wife or significant other on GALA nights dining alone on several occasions.

I do go back far enough to remember when each Senior Officer would host a large table by invitation. i.e. any MD's on board would be invited to the ship's doctor's table.

Sail - as your post was mostly not there I am not sure what you meant to write about - but - if it had anything to do with how wonderful it used to be when guests and crew dressed for formal nights - I am with you. I remember nights when women wore designer gowns and men wore Tux and shiny shoes. The ships officers were all stunning in their uniforms.

It is easier today - but I do miss that time gone by.

We also go way back when you stood in line on the first formal night to meet the captain and get a picture taken with him as you entered the show room.

And we were all dressed up -- DH had a tuxedo and white dinner jacket and I wore gowns.

AH -- those were the days.

We also go way back when you stood in line on the first formal night to meet the captain and get a picture taken with him as you entered the show room.

And we were all dressed up -- DH had a tuxedo and white dinner jacket and I wore gowns.

AH -- those were the days.

Do you recall the days where there was a hostess present at the entrance of the Receiving Line who asked your name? Then, she presented you to the ship's Master stating your name.

Do you recall the days where there was a hostess present at the entrance of the Receiving Line who asked your name? Then, she presented you to the ship's Master stating your name.

Yes indeed. A very traditional receiving line.

Getting ready for our first HAL cruise in June. We have cruised 8 times with Disney. There is always a Captain's Gala formal night where you may meet the captain and have a photo with him.He will also set aside time for autographs in the gift shop. On the longer cruises there is also an officer's ball when you may dance with officers, male and female, in their dress whites.On all cruises the officers are ever present on every deck. They are very friendly and interactive. We are often on a first name basis with several of them by the end of the cruise. Am I to understand it will be different on HAL?

tutumomickey,

On long cruises, an Officers Ball, Black/White Ball, Gold/White Ball, Officers or Senior Staff being seated at your MDR large table on Gala Evenings: such ought to still occur.

On short cruises: if such events take place, one should attend, be appreciative, and fully note that appreciation on the end-of-cruise survey.

Getting ready for our first HAL cruise in June. We have cruised 8 times with Disney. There is always a Captain's Gala formal night where you may meet the captain and have a photo with him.He will also set aside time for autographs in the gift shop. On the longer cruises there is also an officer's ball when you may dance with officers, male and female, in their dress whites.On all cruises the officers are ever present on every deck. They are very friendly and interactive. We are often on a first name basis with several of them by the end of the cruise. Am I to understand it will be different on HAL?

We have done a few transatlantic crossings on DCL and totally get what you are saying. In one port in June (Noordam) we are in port with the Wonder. Is it bad I am trying to figure out who the CD is then? My elementary age girls would love to give Natalie a hug!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On our Eurodam Med/ Italy and Trans Atlantic cruise last October we signed up for a night in the Tamarind with Eurodam Officers.

Each course the officers would switch tables so we enjoyed time with the Captain, Hotel Director, Chief Engineer, Purser and Food Manager.

It was a lovely and memorable evening. First time we have been offered that on a Signature ship.

On our Eurodam Med/ Italy and Trans Atlantic cruise last October we signed up for a night in the Tamarind with Eurodam Officers.

Each course the officers would switch tables so we enjoyed time with the Captain, Hotel Director, Chief Engineer, Purser and Food Manager.

It was a lovely and memorable evening. First time we have been offered that on a Signature ship.

Was there a fee charged to participate?

Was there a fee charged to participate?

Yes, it was like the Chefs or Somaliers Dinner in Pinnacle with wine pairings. Can't remember exact cost but was worth it in our circumstance.

Hope all is well with our New Zealand friends.

B.

We were on the Eurodam one year before your cruise -- nothing like that.

We would have loved having a dinner like that.

Yes, it was like the Chefs or Somaliers Dinner in Pinnacle with wine pairings. Can't remember exact cost but was worth it in our circumstance.

Hope all is well with our New Zealand friends.

B.

Thanks for your reply, it would have been an interesting evening.

All is well here. Hope everything is good with you both.

On our last 2 HAL cruises we were seated at 8-tops with 7 people assigned to be seated there. (Late fixed dining)

Both times, on the 2nd formal night, we had a 2nd officer host our table (ie unlimited wine served :D:wine-glass::D )

Each time they wore dark blue uniforms rather than dress whites. I don't think I can even remember seeing an officer in dress whites except for one time on a Christmas cruise at Christmas day dinner.

They still do this on every Cunard voyage - receiving line, name, Captain, picture, tuxes, - all of it.

But alas they don't go to Alaska. Still - I am very excited to look forward to our 1st HAL voyage and appreciate everything this line has to offer!

On our last 2 HAL cruises we were seated at 8-tops with 7 people assigned to be seated there. (Late fixed dining)

Both times, on the 2nd formal night, we had a 2nd officer host our table (ie unlimited wine served :D:wine-glass::D )

Each time they wore dark blue uniforms rather than dress whites. I don't think I can even remember seeing an officer in dress whites except for one time on a Christmas cruise at Christmas day dinner.

I think dress whites were eliminated within the last few years - I believe copper John mentioned it after one of his working cruises.

I think dress whites were eliminated within the last few years - I believe copper John mentioned it after one of his working cruises.

They were replaced with a new dress uniform. "Eliminated" makes it sound like there are no longer dress uniforms. (Or that they're nekkid. ;) )