Don't buy Invicta Watches - ripoff

I bought a Invicta Sub Mariner look alike at Sam's club 5 years ago, and it is tooo close to the real thing, well from a distance LOL. Anyway the price was $106, on board it was, SAME WATCH, $140 or so and on Amazon, $96. Anyway after 6 years of constant wear, shower, swim, sports, gardening, to name a few, it is still going strong. It keeps as good as time as my ladies Rolex

I gess I am lucky.

Those $10 watches have worked out great for cruising. I keep it in my backpack so it's always available when traveling. This latest one which has lasted about 5 years now is huge and has been through some rigorous vacation wars. :D

DH bought one of the $10 watches years ago to wear while he does yard work and it lasted forever - I think he finally had to buy a battery after about 6 years.

If you are shopping on a RCI ship and are tempted at the Invicta watches always on sale at 70 percent or so off, don't bother. They aren't worth that.

First, what you pay is probably still more than what you would pay on Amazon for the Rolex wanna-be's. Secondly they are crap.

Bought mine two years ago on Enchantment. I was up a couple hundred on blackjack so treated myself. Only saving grace of this story is the feeling I really didn't pay anything since it was BJ winnings.

Six months later watch starts running very fast, gaining several hours each day. It took most of the rest of the year to actual get Invicta to respond to emails and phone calls to get the watch in for warranty. Finally connected and sent the watch in. Got an email that the warranty would be honored for the $29 service charge and I would get a new mechanism.

Nearly six months later I got the watch back. Then two weeks ago it started running slow - losing maybe 5 minutes a week. OK I'll reset it once a week.

Than tonight the second hand falls off. :mad:

Back to cheap watches from Walmart.

Why would you over pay and why buy any watch on a ship??????

I was in Costco today and noticed a Invicta table set up with their watches. Had a sign $79. Did not go over and look so I do not know what models were available or if any were at a higher price than the printed sign.

is 'anything' on a ship a deal..ever? i stick to the gift shop where i know a 20 dollar cush ball with the logo will have the letters falling off before i leave the ship.at least you know what you are getting there

i dont get the allure of 'any' sale shopping on a ship. it's a captive audience. how could it possibly be a deal.

You have to recognize what "shopping" (for anything) on a ship really is....it's just another form of entertainment, for passenger's...;)

Just like vehicles, some watches that come off the line can be lemons. As I understand it, if an Invicta fails it's best to cut and run than attempt to get it serviced.

Fortunately for me, my two Invicta watches are running well and I get more compliments with my white dial Speedway with nato strap than I do with my Omega Seamaster. PO.

I do cringe when I see people paying the "full" price for a ship specific, commemorative Invicta at the shops on board. :eek:

I am Invicta Collector and I own 20 of them which I have never had a problem with any of them. I won't get into defending how good they are or how bad people think they are as if that is what you think so be it. I love the styles and designs and I really don't care about the inner workings of watches as long as they are keeping time. I love watches like women like shoes and handbags but I won't pay thousands of dollars for one watch of any brand. I bought my first Invicta on a cruise and purchased one other one on a cruise years ago and the rest I have purchase through the Evine Channel's web site and also at the Invicta store in Time Square in New York City. Granted these watches may not be in the Tag or Citizens or Rolex league, they are not the cheapest made watches neither. I do not buy them on the cruises anymore because I can get a better deal on Evine. :cool:

Here's a newsflash (most already know this)...pretty much every watch you buy on board a ship can be had cheaper of the internet. I purchased a Citizen SatelliteWave for $675 on board and could have gotten it for about $150 less once home. Funny thing is this happens every few years, I get caught up in the watch and forget to use my brain.

is 'anything' on a ship a deal..ever? i stick to the gift shop where i know a 20 dollar cush ball with the logo will have the letters falling off before i leave the ship.at least you know what you are getting there

i dont get the allure of 'any' sale shopping on a ship. it's a captive audience. how could it possibly be a deal.

Yes, they are.

A few years ago, I bought a Hamilton watch on board- and thanks to fears from this message board, I had to check and make sure I got a good deal. Turns out that I did.

It's SO VERY easy to check sales prices for stuff- you know if it's a good price or not for far less than the cost of most items.

But even if it's not- would I rather spend $50 more on a $900 watch getting it on board (ignoring the sales tax you pay off hte ship)? Heck, yea. It's way better than some other momento that really is nothing that most others get. And it will always remind me of that trip. An Amazon purchase is meaningless. As has been posted- nobody *needs* a watch. So if you want one, having a good story behind it is pretty cool. Geez- how many thousands of dollars did you spend on the trip? You don't take any of that home with you.

While I would never buy one on a cruise (less expensive elsewhere) I have several Invicta watches and have never had an issue with one of them. I have one on now as a matter of fact and it is about 9 years old.

Daddy, what's a watch? Why do you need one when I have time (perfectly calibrated in every time zone in the world) on this phone I carry everywhere?

I love a watch, been wearing one on my left arm for 40 years. Men get very few places to wear jewelry and a watch let's you express yourself and show your unique style.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I go through watches - a lot. Next watch I buy will not be a Fossil. The fossil one I paid $75 for and have to change the battery out every six months. Here's the kicker. I bought a $10 watch from Walmart six years ago and I still use it; never changed the battery out. So indeed, name brand does not mean a hill of beans when it comes to quality. But I'll never get a Rolex or a Breitling. Why spend that much on a watch?

Just like vehicles, some watches that come off the line can be lemons. As I understand it, if an Invicta fails it's best to cut and run than attempt to get it serviced.

Fortunately for me, my two Invicta watches are running well and I get more compliments with my white dial Speedway with nato strap than I do with my Omega Seamaster. PO.

I do cringe when I see people paying the "full" price for a ship specific, commemorative Invicta at the shops on board. :eek:

Love that Planet Ocean!

You won't hear me complimenting an Invicta over an Omega 😉

I love a watch, been wearing one on my left arm for 40 years. Men get very few places to wear jewelry and a watch let's you express yourself and show your unique style.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree....I don't wear any jewelry, not even a ring, so a nice watch is as close as I get.

And if I happen to go out without a watch on my wrist, I feel "naked". :D

Yes, they are.

A few years ago, I bought a Hamilton watch on board- and thanks to fears from this message board, I had to check and make sure I got a good deal. Turns out that I did.

It's SO VERY easy to check sales prices for stuff- you know if it's a good price or not for far less than the cost of most items.

But even if it's not- would I rather spend $50 more on a $900 watch getting it on board (ignoring the sales tax you pay off hte ship)? Heck, yea. It's way better than some other momento that really is nothing that most others get. And it will always remind me of that trip. An Amazon purchase is meaningless. As has been posted- nobody *needs* a watch. So if you want one, having a good story behind it is pretty cool. Geez- how many thousands of dollars did you spend on the trip? You don't take any of that home with you.

I admired the Citizen Eco Drive Caliber 2100 chrono for years, and the best I saw it discounted, was 35% in stores, plus tax. I bought it on a ship for 40% off, and no tax... :)

I go through watches - a lot. Next watch I buy will not be a Fossil. The fossil one I paid $75 for and have to change the battery out every six months. Here's the kicker. I bought a $10 watch from Walmart six years ago and I still use it; never changed the battery out. So indeed, name brand does not mean a hill of beans when it comes to quality. But I'll never get a Rolex or a Breitling. Why spend that much on a watch?

Fossil and a lot of similar "designer" name brand watches, are not in the same league as fine quality Swiss mechanical watches, such as Rolex or Breitling you cited.

As to why buy them? Good question... a cheap Casio quartz will keep much better time, but you have to be a watch enthusiast to answer that question...

Just as a cheap Hyundai will get you from A to B just as well as an expensive Mercedes-Benz... so why spend more?

:)

• 8 months later...

Yes you get great deals on the luxury watches no taxes which is a big savings and they do bargain saved 600 dollars on a tag heaur if you find it cheaper any where else they will match it within 30 days. When i got home checked around even on Amazon it was not cheaper. So if your looking for a luxury watch you definitely save money. Invicta is not in that category i think most people know that.

My husband bought an Invicta on a ship 2 years ago and just had to send it in for repair this month with a $28 service fee. It was running fast. After reading this post, I guess he won the lottery with a 2 yr reprieve!:)

I have a few Invictas in my watch collection (I have ~10), but I'll never pay more than $70-$80 for one. They're typically just "something different.

I do buy a watch as my souvenir every cruise, but Ill do research pre-cruise on what I want, and what I'm willing to pay, which is never more than $400 or so. Have never bought one on boat the ship...prices are just ridiculous. My favorite watch so far, is a Citizen eco-drive I got last year in St. Kitts. Paid $150 less than the ship was asking for the exact same watch.

Watches are fun. Invictas are fine, so long as you realize they are costume pieces and not worth a lot of cash....even if they do offer you a 3 slot dive case.

I have bought several Invictas, they look really nice but back then i had no idea the community reaction to them.

Basically they are the laughing stock of watches, like timeshares.

I have authentic watches, Breitling Aerospace and a Superocean, great watches. For traveling titanium is the way to go.

Then i have several high end replicas of Rolex, and i mean they are VERY accurate. Not cheap Aliaexpress watches.

Problem is i feel weird wearing a replica, especially one that would retail for over $40,000. Like the platinum looking Day Date, the two tone Submariner or the custom black coated DeepSea.

Anytime i wear long sleeves i wear a watch, otherwise i just use my phone. I hate snobs and snob judgement.

A person could just get a Rolex watch looking tattoo and let that just be it.