Don't buy Invicta Watches - ripoff

It’s an over priced disposable watch.

The MRP are jacked way, way up there to make it seem like you’re getting a deal.

Really your just buying a disposable, low quality watch

If you have one that still works after 6 months then great.

I certainly wouldn’t spend money repairing one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your opinion or do you have facts to back up your comment?

Edited by davekathy

That’s what I was thinking while reading this thread. My Fitbit Blaze has become my new watch. Tells time steps, sleep pattern and I can read my text messages on it. It’s much cheaper than an Apple Watch but still syncs with my iPhone for time in any zone. Never need to buy batteries because it’s rechargeable. My status watches all need battery replacement.

A few of the Invicta watches are actually decent mechanical watches that use the Swiss Selitta movement. In most cases, they are decent watches worth the $200 to $300 they sell for. However, there are a number of them that, IMHO are very "gaudy" with fake diamonds & fake gold cases but there's an entire group of buyers for them so ... they capture that demographic with an affordable watch that those buyers "think" looks expensive.

I wear mechanical watches from one of the new-age horlogist out of London that employs similar Swiss movements but has also developed their own movements. Here are a few reviews of my C9 5-day dress watch.

http://wornandwound.com/introducing-christopher-ward-sh21-game-changer/

http://www.woundforlife.com/2014/07/04/first-impression-christopher-ward-calibre-sh21/

Like many of you on here, my wife uses a fit bit as her watch but she will wear the nice mechanical one I bought her for a few dress up occasions like on a cruise ship. Nothing too fancy. Just a bit nicer that a fit bit. Here is a review of her "dress" watch

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/christopher-ward-w60-coral-ladies-watch-review/

I buy a $10 Timex watch at Wal-Mart. Works great. The first thing to break on it is the band.

For about 2 years my sister-in-law was a Timex watch marketer who was responsible for stocking wal-mart and the like. Not bad quartz watches for the price. I have a few of them in a drawer around here somewhere but never wear them any more.

Edited by ndabunka

That’s what I was thinking while reading this thread. My Fitbit Blaze has become my new watch. Tells time steps, sleep pattern and I can read my text messages on it. It’s much cheaper than an Apple Watch but still syncs with my iPhone for time in any zone. Never need to buy batteries because it’s rechargeable. My status watches all need battery replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I understand your point but this could be problematic for some travelers. Since many cruisers put their cell phones on airplane mode, they will not update to local time, also if it does update to local time, perhaps your phone is displaying a different time than ship time.

My everyday watch is a Citizen Eco-Drive. Has built-in world time zones, Saphire Crystal so it dosent scratch, radio controlled so always accurate. But I do switch to my timex ironman with multiple timers on weekends when I tend to do a lot of serious BBQing ;p

dp

A few of the Invicta watches are actually decent mechanical watches that use the Swiss Selitta movement. In most cases, they are decent watches worth the $200 to $300 they sell for. However, there are a number of them that, IMHO are very "gaudy" with fake diamonds & fake gold cases but there's an entire group of buyers for them so ... they capture that demographic with an affordable watch that those buyers "think" looks expensive.

I wear mechanical watches from one of the new-age horlogist out of London that employs similar Swiss movements but has also developed their own movements. Here are a few reviews of my C9 5-day dress watch.

http://www.woundforlife.com/2014/07/04/first-impression-christopher-ward-calibre-sh21/

Like many of you on here, my wife uses a fit bit as her watch but she will wear the nice mechanical one I bought her for a few dress up occasions like on a cruise ship. Nothing too fancy. Just a bit nicer that a fit bit. Here is a review of her "dress" watch

For about 2 years my sister-in-law was a Timex watch marketer who was responsible for stocking wal-mart and the like. Not bad quartz watches for the price. I have a few of them in a drawer around here somewhere but never wear them any more.

I've been thinking of getting a CW. They're making some great looking watches.

GREAT deals on Invicta on a certain home shopping channel if your REALLY want one ;)
Better deals from watch shopping sites not affiliated with shopping channels.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

I believe it was in 2001 when I bought a Nicolet men's watch on board the SS Norway. I paid somewhere around $50.00 for it and that watch still keeps perfect time.

I chuckle over the many comments I've received over the years - from "what a beautiful watch" to "please leave it to me in your last Will" etc.

I guess I am a member of that certain group who enjoy and treasure my Invicta watches. I have 41 of them, the majority are swiss movement, and none are what would be considered "Gaudy" or with fake diamonds. Some are big but I appreciate that look. I have purchased most of them from one of the TV shopping channels and have found the prices to be comparable to Amazon. I also purchased a few on board and, since I know my prices, have done very well on my purchases. These watches wear like iron and just keep on ticking with no problems what so ever. Everyone has their own preferences, one of mine happens to be Invicta!!!

I look at the Invicta watches on all my cruises. They look cool but I've never bought one as my 35 year old watch still keeps perfect time. After reading this thread I will never buy one. Thanks for putting this reminder up.

I believe it was in 2001 when I bought a Nicolet men's watch on board the SS Norway. I paid somewhere around $50.00 for it and that watch still keeps perfect time.

I chuckle over the many comments I've received over the years - from "what a beautiful watch" to "please leave it to me in your last Will" etc.

Unless you stole it from someone or if it's some type of knock off an Armand Nicolet is the diametric opposite of a $50 watch. They are usually between $1,500 to $5,000 with a few used ones available on the used market around a $500 price point. Any possibility that your wife bought it for you and then tell you it was a $50 watch so that you wouldn't be overly concerned about the $'s she might have spent?

Edited by ndabunka

I guess I am a member of that certain group who enjoy and treasure my Invicta watches. I have 41 of them, the majority are swiss movement, and none are what would be considered "Gaudy" or with fake diamonds. Some are big but I appreciate that look. I have purchased most of them from one of the TV shopping channels and have found the prices to be comparable to Amazon. I also purchased a few on board and, since I know my prices, have done very well on my purchases. These watches wear like iron and just keep on ticking with no problems what so ever. Everyone has their own preferences, one of mine happens to be Invicta!!!

Good to hear that you have found a few (LOL) worthy of making your collection. A number of them are nice looking watches. The ones that I was referencing as "odd balls" and/or bad designs are ones like this "divers" watch that has fake diamonds around the bezel that come across as fake "posser" attempting to portray an artificial sense of importance.

https://invictastores.com/invicta-pro-diver-quartz-watch-stainless-steel-case-with-gold-tone-stainless-steel-band-model-21397?gclid=CjwKCAjw9e3YBRBcEiwAzjCJuraPLMo1lzTzI14GQs2xIZ8UTD3BORlyDU_xdCHKf500ioWVj5-UIBoCdg4QAvD_BwE

Edited by ndabunka

Unless you stole it from someone or if it's some type of knock off an Armand Nicolet is the diametric opposite of a $50 watch. They are usually between $1,500 to $5,000 with a few used ones available on the used market around a $500 price point. Any possibility that your wife bought it for you and then tell you it was a $50 watch so that you wouldn't be overly concerned about the $'s she might have spent?

No....I bought it myself while aboard the SS Norway for about $50.00. Maybe it's a real Nicolet watch and maybe it's not but is sure catches peoples attention.

On our Mediterranean of a few years ago a customs or security officer at the port in Naples Italy suggested I take it off and keep it in my pocket to avoid being robbed. (serious)

I guess it's either a very a good reproduction of a Nicolet watch that costs me $ 50.00 or..... it's the real thing.

Edited by oldguysandgalls

No....I bought it myself while aboard the SS Norway for about $50.00. Maybe it's a real Nicolet watch and maybe it's not but is sure catches peoples attention.

On our Mediterranean of a few years ago a customs or security officer at the port in Naples Italy suggested I take it off and keep it in my pocket to avoid being robbed. (serious)

I guess it's either a very a good reproduction of a Nicolet watch that costs me $ 50.00 or..... it's the real thing.

I am not an expert but you could probably take pics of the rear of the case and verify it from there with some of the online forums if you ever decide to find out if it's the real thing or not. In any case, enjoy it!

Invicta is known for being unreliable. I bought a Citizen Eco-drive chronograph in St. Thomas five years ago, great investment. I also bought a Fossil chronograph on board Allure and it performed well until I let it drop to the floor and and broke a part, but it was an excellent watch.

• 2 months later...

I own several Invicta watches. Only purchased one on the ship. Price was much higher than the Invite store or Evine. Battery replacement is kind of pricey too, so I unwind the stem and pull it out until the watch stops until I want to wear it. My favorite watch is still my Citizen Eco Drive!

IMHO, if you spend a substantial amount of money for a watch (other than a smart watch), you are purchasing jewelry, not a timepiece. After all, you can get a watch that keeps perfect time for $20. It may not last much more than a year or two but, at that price, you can just toss it in the garbage and buy another when it stops working or when the crystal gets scratched. On the other hand, if the real purpose of the watch is decoration, not keeping time, there is no limit on how much you might spend. However, I am not sure that an Invicta is any more decorative than a less expensive Citizen watch. I suspect that most people who are buying a watch as jewelry want gold and there is no such thing as a gold Invicta.

IMHO, if you spend a substantial amount of money for a watch (other than a smart watch), you are purchasing jewelry, not a timepiece. After all, you can get a watch that keeps perfect time for $20. It may not last much more than a year or two but, at that price, you can just toss it in the garbage and buy another when it stops working or when the crystal gets scratched. On the other hand, if the real purpose of the watch is decoration, not keeping time, there is no limit on how much you might spend. However, I am not sure that an Invicta is any more decorative than a less expensive Citizen watch. I suspect that most people who are buying a watch as jewelry want gold and there is no such thing as a gold Invicta.

I don't know your definition of a smart watch but satellite watches can cost quite a bit and they are all about time keeping. They are not jewelry.

Armand Nicolet and Nicolet are two different watch companies entirely. You are correct that Armand Nicolet is an expensive (Swiss Made) watch. Nicolet watches are much less expensive (mostly Japan made). You can see both brands (new and used) on eBay

I brought a Citizen and Invicta , it has been 2.5 years now and no problems with the watches. I actually priced the watches and had a good deal. The local stores came close with a sale but with the tax I still got a good deal. Plus I have had several watch collectors compliment me on the watches. I'm very happy with my purchase and that is all that counts. If you are happy with your purchase then purchase on Board. I will probably look for another watch on the SOTS this winter.

I commented on this thread back in June last year, right before a cruise on Brilliance coming a month later. I had mentioned the "Hey Joe" cheap watches I used to find in Naples Italy during my Navy days.

Well, turned out, I bought an Invicta watch on Brilliance cruise from last year. Turns out, what a fine looking watch, I've never had it fail yet.

Sorry to the OP - this one is perfectly fine!

My favorite watch is still my Citizen Eco Drive!

We bought my husband a Eco Drive watch in St. Thomas that he loves but after 9 years the band broke and we can't get a replacement. Its rubber and is an odd shape and we even wrote to the company to find a new one and they couldn't help. What a bummer, he loves that watch and other than the band, it was great.