Weird question

Does anyone know why the term aft and fwd are used instead for bow and stern??? I know I'm a weirdo for asking but it's buggin the little baby jebus outta me

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Iirc bow and stern are actual locations on the ship. Aft and fore are interior designations for directions within the ship.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Iirc bow and stern are actual locations on the ship. Aft and fore are interior designations for directions within the ship.

Without hopefully getting slammed for using grammatical definitions as I've done in the past, bow and stern are nouns naming sections of the ship as you note. Forward (fore) and aft are adjectives or adverbs modifying or describing an action (moving aft) or a noun (aft cabin).

Without hopefully getting slammed for using grammatical definitions as I've done in the past, bow and stern are nouns naming sections of the ship as you note. Forward (fore) and aft are adjectives or adverbs modifying or describing an action (moving aft) or a noun (aft cabin).

Makes perfect sense to me!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Exactly, so walking fore is toward the bow, and walking aft is towards the stern. :)

Exactly, so walking fore is toward the bow, and walking aft is towards the stern. :)

Actually walking forward is toward the bow, fore is used as in "walking fore and aft" (adjective, denoting backward and forward movement) or "moored fore and aft" (adverb, denoting bow and stern).:)

All ships are boats but not all boats are ships. So cringe all you want but by definition, a ship is still a boat.

Don't believe me? Go to dictionary.co and type in the word boat. See #4.

I was speaking in nautical terms. Generally a boat is 29 ft or less. A yacht is 29 ft or more, and a ship is considered anything over 100 ft. Bottom line..... when a ship is sinking, you look for a boat.

I was speaking in nautical terms. Generally a boat is 29 ft or less. A yacht is 29 ft or more, and a ship is considered anything over 100 ft. Bottom line..... when a ship is sinking, you look for a boat.

Never heard it defined this way before, more of a yachty thing, I guess. After all, most ocean-going "tugboats" are over 100 ft, many harbor tugs are as well, and nearly all of the thousands of offshore supply boats are more than 100 ft.

I think Paul knows nautical terms, after all, he is part of the "Knee-Deep Navy" (USCG)(Sorry, Paul, couldn't help myself).

I learned that a boat can be placed on a ship, while a ship cannot be placed on a boat.

24 years in a sea-going service that regulates the maritime domain, and I have never heard that. Interesting interpretation, but in no way true. Not even in nautical terms.

Never heard it defined this way before, more of a yachty thing, I guess. After all, most ocean-going "tugboats" are over 100 ft, many harbor tugs are as well, and nearly all of the thousands of offshore supply boats are more than 100 ft.

I think Paul knows nautical terms, after all, he is part of the "Knee-Deep Navy" (USCG)(Sorry, Paul, couldn't help myself).

I learned that a boat can be placed on a ship, while a ship cannot be placed on a boat.

Ha! Just wait until that rust bucket comes back up the river! Just kidding. ;) Or am I?

Okay I have to relate a funny story in reference to forward and aft. My daughter started working as a cruise staff member on the Glory last November. She's wonderful at interacting with people and has energy to spare - but, on her second week onboard she was assigned to read the Funtimes for the Audible Times on the cabin TV.

I happened to be onboard that week and got to hear her say things like "Epic Rock will be in the Amber Palace at 8:00 on Promenade Deck Forward" followed by: "Karaoke will be in the Ebony Cabaret at 9:00 on Promenade Afterward." She said this over and over without anyone correcting her. I'm not sure how many passengers caught on, but she was teased mercilessly by the other cruse staff members for weeks. It was hilarious - she said well it just says Fwd and Aft so I thought if Fwd stands for Forward, Aft must stand for Afterward. Hey, she's a great person, but not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Okay I have to relate a funny story in reference to forward and aft. My daughter started working as a cruise staff member on the Glory last November. She's wonderful at interacting with people and has energy to spare - but, on her second week onboard she was assigned to read the Funtimes for the Audible Times on the cabin TV.

I happened to be onboard that week and got to hear her say things like "Epic Rock will be in the Amber Palace at 8:00 on Promenade Deck Forward" followed by: "Karaoke will be in the Ebony Cabaret at 9:00 on Promenade Afterward." She said this over and over without anyone correcting her. I'm not sure how many passengers caught on, but she was teased mercilessly by the other cruse staff members for weeks. It was hilarious - she said well it just says Fwd and Aft so I thought if Fwd stands for Forward, Aft must stand for Afterward. Hey, she's a great person, but not the sharpest tool in the shed.

That's funny. I have one of those also. This is off topic, sorry. She called me all upset she was going to be late for a college class because there was a long line of cars headed by police on motorcycles. All the cars had their headlights on and were going sort of slow. "Why are they having a car parade?" And another, at age 28 she asked me "Ok mom, where's the mop and how do you use it?"

port or starboard is another term you willl hear too ...port is always left

When facing the front of the boa-- err, the bow of the ship. :)

'Course, REALLY old mariners* would refer to it as "larboard," not "port." Can't imagine why it was changed....maybe because it sounds too much like "starboard"? ;p

--

* as in, like, a few centuries old.....

That's funny. I have one of those also. This is off topic, sorry. She called me all upset she was going to be late for a college class because there was a long line of cars headed by police on motorcycles. All the cars had their headlights on and were going sort of slow. "Why are they having a car parade?" And another, at age 28 she asked me "Ok mom, where's the mop and how do you use it?"

The "car parade" is so funny. I'm not sure how these girls survive on a daily basis. What I thought was such a riot is that in Jordan's case the AV guy recorded the whole thing and never corrected her. I'm sure he was biting his lip to keep from laughing. It was so funny - and thankfully she's able to laugh at herself.

"when facing forward" That's another head scratcher. The left side of the ship doesn't change because one turns around and faces another direction. It's still the left side of the ship. If I stand on my head, the right side of my body doesn't become my left side.

Although, I do understand why they say that. Everyone can't be expected to be novices on this stuff.

Does anyone know why the term aft and fwd are used instead for bow and stern??? I know I'm a weirdo for asking but it's buggin the little baby jebus outta me

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Aft and Forward are directional and in relation to present location.

The bow and stern are physical parts of the ship.