Interacting with street peddlers

Peachypooh

On our Panama Canal cruise I experienced for the first time ever relentless street vendors that followed our group around. I was a bit unprepared as the cruises we took in the past (Bermuda, Alaska, itineraries with Key West and Grand Cayman) had none of it.

So it was with curiosity that I watched people interact to see what I needed to do. Some people made rude gestures and made the vendors really mad to the point they yelled at the tourists. Some people were very firm saying no and the vendors left them alone. And then there were people like me...no matter how many times I said no thank you they kept pestering me. I tried to get them to go away by actually buying some stuff but then the other vendors saw I was buying and it made it much worse.

Any tips on how to handle this? I know the vendors need to make a living but it was very unnerving. I am specifically thinking of Cartagena but I know it happens other places too. Thank you!

Thank you! Good advice. How about young kids begging? I know that all is not what it seems in those situations. Have heard bad stories that I won't go into here . But how do you say no? Or the disabled man that parked his wheelchair by the entrance to the bus with a sign that said "please help". Walk on by or give them money? Not used to this!!

The worst I have experienced were in Jamaica right after Dunns River Falls. They make you walk through a market of the most aggressive vendors I have yet to see. 1 after another relentless pretty much ran out of there. All you can do is say no and walk quickly.

You have to be firm. Not to be heartless but some, not all, of these folks are professionals. This is there job. Watched one guy in Ohio Rios in his wheelchair go around a corner and out of view of everybody, or so he thought, got out of the chair and put it in the back of a Range Rover and drove away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

Watch the ones over the road from the Hotel California in Todos Santos; they were very pushy.

I found a way in Cartagena; I was interested in some coins and bartered to an agreed price of 5USD. When I got out 5 of the American Golden Dollars to pay for them the vendor and all his mates took off, we weren't bothered for the rest of the time while there!!

We had a man in Costa Rica follow us, begging to "polish our shoes"...we were wearing flip flops! Finally gave him a dollar and he left us alone...very aggravating. But, some of those folks are destitute...so a buck or two won't break us...but might help them.

Now, we have "professional beggars" around our town...have watched them walk behind our business and take ROLLS of cash out of their pockets, sort it, and then go back to begging. They stand in the median strip at stop lights....should be a law against that!

I just say no thank you and walk away.

Many, many years ago, two friends and I went to Mexico and I was overwhelmed, but when two men came up to us and asked if we wanted them to show us around, one of my friends turned to them and said that would be great and you can buy us all dinner first and then show us the sights....they left so fast it was funny. Thankfully, I had a street smart friend with me.

I remember from my Spanish classes that the phrase "no, thank you" doesn't have an equivalent in Spanish and that in their mind you're essentially saying "no, yes" so it's confusing to them. I've always just used "no" and they will leave you alone. Well, that and actively ignoring them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Forums mobile app

You have a few options:

We didn't get much bother in Columbia but we have had in various other places (North Africa springs to mind)

1)usually say 'We have no coins or notes no money etc' that usually works pretty well. My mum once had all of our money in another part of her bag and opened her empty purse and went 'look no money'. Haha. Failing that 'no' works when said with force.

2)We have also turned to face them and firmly said 'no, we only buy from shops' which has worked well

3) We have also pointed them to unsuspecting other people (who they would have gone to anyway).

4)A great non verbal option is to have your party all head to the loo/to the back of a bar for a drink/take a long time in a restuarant. They get bored and find someone else.

5) Start speaking pretend in another language if you know any bits or make it up. Hubby and I can speak a fair bit of German so we do that. (It helps we look a bit German)

A firm no without engaging in anything they say or do works for us. Sorry, we have beggars on every street corner where we live so walking by isn't difficult for us. You can't give anyone anything or it attracts more. Also keep your arms close to your body. Have had people try to stuff a flower in my hand or put a bracelet on my wrist. A firm no and walking away without making eye contact gets that to stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you! Good advice. How about young kids begging? I know that all is not what it seems in those situations. Have heard bad stories that I won't go into here . But how do you say no? Or the disabled man that parked his wheelchair by the entrance to the bus with a sign that said "please help". Walk on by or give them money? Not used to this!!

Don't make eye contact.

Put a resting b***c face on and keep walking.

Worked for me in Cambodia and Brazil.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I've not cruised yet - heading to Alaska in July!!! However, thanks to Rick Steves I was ready for the scammers/sidewalk sales in Paris. I recommend finding out how to say no firmly in whatever language your destination uses. I took French in high school. My language skills plus my inadequate training (one of the teachers wasn't great) meant that I couldn't hold a conversation in French when visiting 15 years later. (thanks to linguistics classes, etc. - I could read maps, etc. in French). In preparation for the trip though, I got some French language tapes focused on travel, etc.

One of the scams at the time was someone approaching you and quickly "weaving" a bracelet on your wrist, then demanding payment. A guy tried this on me near the Sacre Coeur. I may have channeled some French speaking ancestor, because the family that was with me said that I just went on full on bitch mode with the guy - in French!

I guess (I was so mad, I don't remember) that when he started to back up, I kept stepping forward. Now, I don't recommend this exact technique - I was lucky the guy got scared by my womanly assertive aggressiveness. However, I DO recommend researching your specific destination and the language used there. If it is European, check out Rick Steves' message board aka Graffiti Wall. Check out Trip Advisor if another destination. Ask questions about beggars in that community. In my own, home community, if asked for change I look the person in the eye and say I'm sorry, I don't have change or any cash (If coming out of a store with items, I include "I used my credit card"), but I do donate to the local shelter/food bank where they can go (and I do). Sometimes the "I don't have any cash on me" is enough, especially if included with the local language variation of a firm "NO!"

On our Panama Canal cruise last year, we also found Cartagena to be the worst in terms of street vendors harassing us. In fact we went on an NCL walking tour excursion which turned out to be a huge mistake.

Our guide only took us to places where his friends worked/street-danced/peddled etc. and we were exhausted from fending them off for hours. Didn't get to enjoy any of the sites/history as we were constantly surrounded. Upon our return to the ship we complained at the ShoreEx desk and were refunded.

Tracy

On our Panama Canal cruise last year, we also found Cartagena to be the worst in terms of street vendors harassing us. In fact we went on an NCL walking tour excursion which turned out to be a huge mistake.

Tracy

We were on a Princess cruise and went on a walking tour excursion and loved it because they gave us a couple hours of free time afterwards. We are amateur photographers and enjoyed walking the area at our own pace. We hit a few shops and just ignored the street vendors. They certainly were trying hard to get us to buy.

Our guide told us that in the old days, visitors had to deal with pirates but now days it's street vendors. They advised us to ignore them but a couple people in the group were interested in something they had to sell. Our son would have loved bartering.

I should mention that a concern is pick pockets so I keep my wallet buried in my backpack and carry some small bills on a money clip in my pocket. That way, I won't be flashing a lot of money if I want to buy some trinket along the way. My ship card, an ID, and a credit card are in a small plastic pouch attached to a lanyard and tucked into my shirt. If all else fails, we can still get back on the ship.

Edited by PorkChopKid

You have to be firm. Not to be heartless but some, not all, of these folks are professionals. This is there job. Watched one guy in Ohio Rios in his wheelchair go around a corner and out of view of everybody, or so he thought, got out of the chair and put it in the back of a Range Rover and drove away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Forums mobile app

You are correct, in many places in the third world, beggars may be organized by local crime organizations.

There was an article in the Wall Street Journal several years ago about the beggars in Mexico City and how they only get a small fraction of what they bring in begging. Also, the crime bosses have a bus that drops them off and picks them up every day.

Also, I read an article that in India some people were intentionally crippling themselves to get more begging for tourists. That one amazed me. When we visited India, there were many beggars who were very aggressive, but no cripples.

The Middle East and North Africa had the most aggressive sales persons and beggars. After you got on the tour bus, they tried to come on the bus or would stand by the window (windows open) and try to sell through the window. If you gave any money or bought something, that would just attract more. It can be very aggravating.

Just say no politely and move on.

Living in Las Vegas, we get our share of beggars.

The little kids are the worst. We had them in Greece.

Stay strong and move swiftly.

Enjoy. :cool:

The worst ones in Las Vegas are in the Caesar's Forum shops, Crystals shops, and the mall at Bellagio. The perfume peddlers at the high end malls are worse than anyone I've run into while on trips to the Caribbean or elsewhere.

My wife and I travel in many Asian countries and have learned over the years that speaking in their native tongue will usually work. Before you go learn a couple of words like, no thank you, no cash, already have, in the countries language and that will work. Just google the words and you will find correct pronunciations.

I find giving a blank stare and shaking your head no is effective. Look like you're slightly confused or high or something. Don't engage and don't act sympathetic or sorry. It's simply not safe to bust out your wallet, it could be grabbed from your hands so fast you won't react in time. It's of course sad that people are reduced to begging, whether they're genuinely destitute or part of an organized scam. It's not a pleasant way to make a living. However you must always protect yourself at all costs. Besides someone grabbing your wallet, the conversation with the beggar could easily be a distraction while another person is trying to pickpocket you and get to your valuables. Better safe than sorry. The worst situation I found myself in was in Panama, touring the old historic city. There was a lady standing around in traditional garb with a bunch of fruit on her head and I decided to take a picture. Little did I know that if you do take a picture the expect money from you. How was I supposed to know that? Our stupid tour guide might have mentioned that. The lady got aggressive with me and started to come after me. I just walked away. I don't generally take much money with me when ashore on cruise excursions just to be safe. So fruit lady wasn't going to get anything regardless.