Missed Final Payment---New at this--What Happens now???

Help--I/we missed the final payment day--then yesterday was Holiday.. Devoted travel agent is trying to help--but RCCL is not flexible.. they tell me I can re-book at today's prices. RCCl says trip is cancelled.

Trip::Vision of the Seas -Oct 01--10 Day to New England and Canada--one way--fly back.

Questions 1. What options do we have-and/ or suggestions for TA to try?:confused:

2. What % of $900 deposit did I lose??

Please help C C Crew---I will pay it forward.

[emoji17] Sorry that happened. I'm surprised to hear they actually cancelled your cruise. I feel like this issue of forgetting final payment comes up sometimes and I thought people reported that Royal hadn't done anything with their reservations and they were able to login and pay as normal.

I would be infuriated with the travel agent. Keeping track of details like this is her job, and she should have touched base with you before the final date arrived.

You should have gotten a couple emails and at least one phone call, at first to remind you final payment was approaching, and then contacting you to wonder why you haven't responded, and then to warn you that your cruise was going to be cancelled.

If this was truly your travel agents fault, (meaning they never contacted you, not that they did contact you but you waited til the last minute to respond and then forgot), then they should be responsible for covering whatever amount you're out in deposit money, plus whatever amount the cruise cost ended up being over your original booking.

I hope you still get to go on your vacation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Let's not blame the TA without knowing the circumstances. Most TAs send numerous emails/phone calls regarding final payments way before final payment is due.

OP has not responded to questions about what happened. Maybe his credit card didn't go through. Maybe it was a debit card and was not authorized for as much $ as was due. Maybe he didn't return the TAs calls/emails in time to make payment on the due date. There are a lot of possibilities involved.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Help--I/we missed the final payment day--then yesterday was Holiday.. Devoted travel agent is trying to help--but RCCL is not flexible.. they tell me I can re-book at today's prices. RCCl says trip is cancelled.

Trip::Vision of the Seas -Oct 01--10 Day to New England and Canada--one way--fly back.

Questions 1. What options do we have-and/ or suggestions for TA to try?:confused:

So your payment was due on July 3. (you booked before May 2016). Correct?

DID your travel agent request payment from you at any time in the past month? Most *require* you to pay them at least a week before true final payment date. Did your TA do that?

Royal Caribbean certainly has the right to cancel a cruise on which payment is not received by final payment date.

You forfeit your entire deposit.

My final payment is due July 18 for October cruise. I have received 2 emails from RCCL reminding me that payment is due, both last week. I have it on my calendar to pay this week. Mark it in red so I don't forget.

Like Merion Mon said I believe you lost your deposit.

My final payment is due July 18 for October cruise. I have received 2 emails from RCCL reminding me that payment is due, both last week. I have it on my calendar to pay this week. Mark it in red so I don't forget.

Like Merion Mom said I believe you lost your deposit.

Since tomtravel is using a travel agent, I don't believe that he would receive those emails from Royal Caribbean.

I have received several emails from my TA about payments. First one was the actual invoice. As final payment got close got several more. The booking information clearly states you don't pay when due you forfeit. About a year ago there was a post about the people went to the wrong departure city, missed the cruise and wanted a refund. Duh

As terrible as I feel for the OP, I don't feel this is the TA's fault at all.

Should the TA have provided reminders? Yes...a good TA would do that. Even my PCC at HAL gives me a call 1-2 weeks before final payment to double-check with me on the timing of my payment and verifies the card to be used.

But it's not the TA's RESPONSIBILITY to remember when final payment is due. It's your vacation, the consumer should take some responsibility for making sure it happens.

Now, that being said, I would hope that IF the TA dropped the ball in not making those reminders, he/she will work as hard as possible to get the cruise back at the original rate.

My in-laws went through this years ago with an RCL cruise....a partial Panama on Brilliance. They were so excited, and about two weeks before contacted their TA because they were still waiting for their flight information to FL for embarkation. Imagine their surprise when the TA said their cruise had been cancelled because they didn't make final payment. They thought the TA was just going to use the credit card they provided for their deposit a year earlier, the TA was waiting for them to call and authorize payment. Total miscommunication and misunderstanding.

They were offered the chance to get on the cruise but again, at prevailing rates. They passed, and just re-booked for the following year at the same time. They accepted that it was partly their fault for not following up.

Should the TA have provided reminders? Yes...a good TA would do that. Even my PCC at HAL gives me a call 1-2 weeks before final payment to double-check with me on the timing of my payment and verifies the card to be used.

But it's not the TA's RESPONSIBILITY to remember when final payment is due. It's your vacation, the consumer should take some responsibility for making sure it happens.

Now, that being said, I would hope that IF the TA dropped the ball in not making those reminders, he/she will work as hard as possible to get the cruise back at the original rate.

My in-laws went through this years ago with an RCL cruise....a partial Panama on Brilliance. They were so excited, and about two weeks before contacted their TA because they were still waiting for their flight information to FL for embarkation. Imagine their surprise when the TA said their cruise had been cancelled because they didn't make final payment. They thought the TA was just going to use the credit card they provided for their deposit a year earlier, the TA was waiting for them to call and authorize payment. Total miscommunication and misunderstanding.

They were offered the chance to get on the cruise but again, at prevailing rates. They passed, and just re-booked for the following year at the same time. They accepted that it was partly their fault for not following up.

Your TA has total control of your booking, they are responsible for all aspects of that booking, including making the final payment.

As a former TA, IT SURE IS!!!

The TA's phone won't call out? No Way!

Edited by cruisinfanatic

Go in your online reservation and see if your cruise is still there

That's indeed a shame. Some posters have mentioned their TA requires full payment 2 weeks before RCI's final payment date. Sounds like a smart idea, as it gives a little cushion time to avoid things like that.... I am assuming.

Me, I book direct online. Once I get my confirmation, I immediately note that final payment date in my phone appointments, and note it on the old fashioned paper calendar as well...including payoff amount.

Hope it works out for the OP.

So please explain what the responsibilities of the person who is acting as your agent, and as I understand it technically owns the reservation, are beside collecting their commission.

I think sometimes too many people rely on TA to do things they can do themselves. Putting your faith in another company to act on your behalf.

I book everything myself. It just makes life easier to be in control.

Same here.

It seems to me that RCI should give at least a day or 2 grace period. I'm not saying they have to....I just think they should.

I also blame the TA if they didn't get proactive with getting that payment from the OP.

But none of this blame matters. The OP is screwed and I'm sorry to hear it. That really sucks. :(

We always book directly with RCI and I don't ever recall having gotten any reminders about final payment. However, we have never forgotten.

Same for us. We usually pay in full 2-3 weeks before sailing date. Wonder if RCCL would send an email if we waited longer.

It seems to me that RCI should give at least a day or 2 grace period. I'm not saying they have to....I just think they should.

I am surprised about this too. In December I had put a deposit on several cruises because I was juggling schedules. In Feb one of the cruise lines called and emailed me because they were looking for final payment and this was 2 weeks after final payment was due. I had forgotten to cancel this particular booking, obviously it was too late to get my deposit back, but it was interesting to see that even though it was after final payment was due they were still holding the room. Later on, I found payment reminder emails in my spam folder, so they were trying to remind me, but the emails were filtered.

Same for us. We usually pay in full 2-3 weeks before sailing date. Wonder if RCCL would send an email if we waited longer.

As I posted earlier I just received 2 email reminders that my final payment is due July 18. Make certain they have your correct email address.

Since when? I thought any cancelled cruise by the cruiseline gets your deposit back.

Technically, by not making your final payment, YOU have cancelled your cruise according to the terms of the confirmation you receive when booked.

This whole conversation just reinforces in me that I am making the right choice in not using a TA, and never will. It also boggles my mind that someone could forget when their final payment date is. When I'm that close to my cruise, I know EXACTLY what date I will be 90 days out from my sail date. Heck, I can tell you right now that I'm 282 days from my next sail date, and I didn't even have to look that up. ;p