Muster Stations...Why Outside??

TravelLots

Hi everyone,

So, I just got back from the Carnival Dream where all muster stations were inside the theater or bar, etc. - FABULOUS. When I sailed the Carnival Valor in the Spring, we were outside on the hot, miserable deck:mad:! Who gets to choose if passengers are inside or outside for muster drills? :confused: Why can't we stay inside as a general ship-wide practice?

Other lines do, no idea why carnival doesn't. Have cruises Norwegian and celebrity and never had to do a mister drill standing outside. We did one on the carnival glory and it was miserable; everyone had to stand in a line silently while they went through instructions. If anyone sat down or talked they stopped to tell people to stand back up

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Depends on what the Powers That Be determine for each ship. Have been on several HAL ships where Muster is held outside. I like knowing how to get to the lifeboats. Carnival Fantasy Class has a split Muster- meet inside, then go to the lifeboats.

Powers That Be aren't Carnival, they're governmental.

All 3 Dream Class ships ,Dream ,Magic and Breeze are all done inside

and also on the Vista, Horizon and the new vista class ships too

all new ship builds will have the muster inside

As someone else has said, it has to do with outside deck space, near or beside the lifeboats. I believe it goes by ship design on Carnival, ie on Conquest class, and maybe some others on Carnival, the muster drill must take place near or beside the lifeboats/muster stations. On Fanstasy class and others, this is not possible for all passengers, so it takes place inside, and then maybe you have to trudge up to the lifeboat station to see where it is. Been a while since I was on a Fantasy class ship, but on Conquest class has always been outdoors and have been told that it is because there is enough deck space for all passengers on lifeboat deck on that class, but I have not experienced the newer ships, and have heard that it is held inside on the newer ships after conquest class..

Thank you everyone for answering so quickly. I almost hope the reason for an inside muster drill isn't that there is not enough deck space for all passengers on the outside life boat deck. Because if that's the case, what would happen in a real emergency? I was kind of hoping the decision to have an outside vs. inside drill was just arbitrary. :o

Muster is held at the location you are to meet if an actual emergency occurs. Meet at outdoor deck; muster at outdoor deck. Meet at an interior location; muster at that indoor location. They want you to see where you report in an emergency.

Thank you everyone for answering so quickly. I almost hope the reason for an inside muster drill isn't that there is not enough deck space for all passengers on the outside life boat deck. Because if that's the case, what would happen in a real emergency? I was kind of hoping the decision to have an outside vs. inside drill was just arbitrary. :o

Oh my gosh, I never thought of it this way. I hope that my interpretation is wrong, but that is what I have understood from years of reading on this board regarding this issue., hope that I am wrong. Now is a good time for a CC member Chengkp to chime in and explain further this issue. He always has the best and most authentic explanations for these questions.

All 3 Dream Class ships ,Dream ,Magic and Breeze are all done inside

Yes, both of our Breeze cruises were done in the theater, and we just got off the Magic on Sunday, and that was also done in the theater.

Can't remember what happened on the Pride years back, but I'm thinking it was outside.

Wish they were all inside!:')

Anyone know if the Splendor muster stations are inside or outside? Last muster I went to was outside and took ove 45 minutes... it was very hard for me to stand there that long... my back felt like it was going to break... I may ask if i can sit somewhere during the muster if it is outside...

Anyone know if the Splendor muster stations are inside or outside? Last muster I went to was outside and took ove 45 minutes... it was very hard for me to stand there that long... my back felt like it was going to break... I may ask if i can sit somewhere during the muster if it is outside...

the last time i was on the splendor a few years ago, it was outside. if you have any difficultly standing, when you check in at the muster station, tell the worker about your condition. they might put you down as special needs. special needs musters inside in a lounge like the library or theater

Last November the splendor was outside

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Many passengers were salty the last Fascination trip we went on from Jax. Nearly 45 minutes on deck, in the sun, no breeze, 95 degrees in July. Ugh. Last trip on the Magic, AC sipping cocktails. LOVED it.

At least they don't make us wear the disgusting and terribly hot life vests anymore.:eek: The muster on our first few cruises were all outside and had to wear those things and they had to hand count and check off paper lists as well. Technology has sure improved what used to be the "dreaded muster" but now the whole thing is done in under a 1/2 hour mostly in a/c.:cool:

I wouldn't worry about space. I think in a true emergency, you would enter the life boat upon arriving there, not all wait and get on together. So the space would not be important at that time. Let's hope we never have to know!

In a real emergency one would head to the muster station. From there crew would presumably take groups to boats in an orderly fashion. Four thousand people on a boat deck at the same time would likely lead to chaos. Never a good thing in an emergency.

In a real emergency one would head to the muster station. From there crew would presumably take groups to boats in an orderly fashion. Four thousand people on a boat deck at the same time would likely lead to chaos. Never a good thing in an emergency.

That makes sense. But then, that begs the question: Shouldn't all drills/stations start off inside the ship? I would think in a real emergency, it'd be easier to group people in the auditorium instead of on deck.

Edited by TravelLots

That makes sense. But then, that begs the question: Shouldn't all drills/stations start off inside the ship? I would think in a real emergency, it'd be easier to group people in the auditorium instead of on deck.

I suspect it is a matter of tradition that was finally overcome by the logistics of evacuating ~4,000 people to ~18 boats and a number of rafts.

I suspect it is a matter of tradition that was finally overcome by the logistics of evacuating ~4,000 people to ~18 boats and a number of rafts.

How many people do those boats hold? 18 seems like such a small number compared to the number of crew and passengers.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How many people do those boats hold? 18 seems like such a small number compared to the number of crew and passengers.

depending on the lifeboat, about 300-400 people per lifeboat..it can be very tight inside with that amount of people..they really can squeeze you in if needed.

Depends on the ship, its marked on the lifeboat and on boards at the outside stations. Fantasy class and Spirit class lifeboats hold 150pax. Plus there are life rafts- those white cylinder things on deck.