Do you prefer the bigger or smaller ships?

We used to alternate between Jewel class ships and 'Away' ships. Then we went on the Escape and came home to book more cruises on her. We are now cruising four times a year so the ship is a destination for us.

Absolutely love the varied food venues to be found on the Escape and other larger ships. Also, we really enjoy the shows on the larger ship. Million Dollar Quartet is our favorite so far, but looking forward to Jersey Boys on the Bliss.

We will continue to cruise out of New Orleans once a year so will always enjoy a Dawn or Pearl sized ship....then back to the larger ships:cool:

Bigger. I go on vacation for fun, and most of the smaller ships are dead at night. Not that I'm a super late night printer myself. I'm a nurse, and I'm usually in bed by 9pm at home I also work 60+ hours a week, so vacation is my chance to decompress and hang out with my friends. I've been on great cruises on smaller NCL ships, but after Getaway, there was no going back for me. I can imagine cruising now without Howl at the Moon, the huge variety of bars, and the amazing thermal spas. And of the big ships, Getaway is still my favorite. It feels like home to me

IMO demographics play a huge role in the size of ship you prefer. The small ships offer everything that most people over fifty want, whereas the younger crowd prefers the things that are available on the larger ships, most of which the older people don't use . IMO the smaller the better.

Hmmm....since DH and I are 50 that may explain why we are middle of the road. He likes small, I like big, we both like mid-size;p.

We have done the Gem, Jade, Epic, Star and Sun.

The larger Epic was our least favorite ship. It always felt crowded.

We liked the Sun the best.

We have cruised on the Star, the Dawn, the Jade, and the Epic. We loved the Jade and will never book the Epic again. The Epic always felt crowded to us also.

We have booked future cruises on the Star in December '17 and the Jade in September '18.

We have no interest in the mega-sized ships, because we don't want to make reservations for the MDR or shows in the Stardust. Even though these ships are huge, the venues are not. Also the megas lack the promenade deck, and the pool area is tiny. As far as activities go, the Jewel class has plenty.

We have no interest in the mega-sized ships, because we don't want to make reservations for the MDR or shows in the Stardust. Even though these ships are huge, the venues are not. Also the megas lack the promenade deck, and the pool area is tiny. As far as activities go, the Jewel class has plenty.

Royal Caribbean is the only cruise line that currently has next generation "mega ships." Even NCL's large ships are simply not in the same "mega" class. There is a notable difference, as venues like the theater, pools, and dining rooms are truly proportionate to the size of the ship. Cruise lines like NCL and Carnival are simply making the ships "a little bigger" and putting a lot more people on them. Not necessarily a bad thing, they are still innovating a little with some very cool stuff, but not on the scale of true ground-up mega ship designs of which there is only one, Oasis-class.

Assuming that 90,000 tons is "small" these days, We sail both large and small ships. We prefer smaller because we have limited interest in the bells and whistles added to the new mega ships and they are too crowded. I find that on many mega ships, you lose that connection to the sea that you have on the smaller ships. We are very comfortable on ships like the Gem.

I started cruising back in the 80s when there was no such thing as mega ships. Fast forward and in the past year we've been on Getaway, Epic, and Escape. Loved all three but I can see where people have issues with crowds, especially in the pool area.

Doing a complete switch and have Dawn booked in December. The spouse is far more into ports/shore excursions than me so this is a trip for him. He's only been on the big ships so it will be interesting to see what he thinks of Dawn.

The Waterfront has taken what was a promenade deck on the smaller ships and improved on it. Nice seating areas and a couple of bars during the day. Outdoor dining in the evening. The Waterfront is one of our favorite things about the large ships.

Assuming that 90,000 tons is "small" these days, We sail both large and small ships. We prefer smaller because we have limited interest in the bells and whistles added to the new mega ships and they are too crowded. I find that on many mega ships, you lose that connection to the sea that you have on the smaller ships. We are very comfortable on ships like the Gem.

That lost connection with the sea is the biggest complaint of Oasis-class and why it's not for everyone. I'm actually really excited about my Escape trip as everything I've seen suggests they manage to bring the ocean closer to you on a larger ship. The waterfront looks right up my alley! The spa has a beautiful ocean view a well, etc. We may have to look into one of the smaller NCL classes as well - really enjoy exploring new ships and make an effort to try new ones as much as possible.

I have sailed on Dawn, Gem and Breakaway. I keep returning to the Dawn. Love that ship and crew. Only wish Dawn had an upper level viewing lounge to hang out in. I don't see how one can be bored on a "mid size" ship like Dawn. The old ocean liners from the past must have been real snooze fest! Titanic? Just a little ship with nothing to do but play chess and shuffle board.

For port intensive cruises, the smaller the ship the better. For more sea days, the larger the better.

Funny, we (DH and I) agree!

Going on Getaway for the 14 day TA in Oct, and we're booked on the Star for the port intensive back to back cruises next year June!

That said, we would not go on the Bliss for the Alaskan cruise - we'd rather go on the smaller Jewel class or even the Spirit (if she ever returns to Alaska), and also the Sun. Not the Star or Dawn as they lack the Observation lounge.

"Size" is always changing. Yesterday's "mega-ships" are small ships today.

Carnival Destiny was once the largest cruise ship and now (Sunshine) is "small".

It would be interesting to see a stat of "ship-within-a-ship" guests who have a preference vs. those who are with the general public who have a preference as far as larger vs smaller ships . If people have a way to "Getaway" from the "Epic" crowds and "Breakaway" from the chaos to "Escape" to an area that is pure "Bliss" where they can feel "Joy", the larger NCL ships might not seem so large.

On the Oasis Class, there is no way to get away from the crowds in a way that is like the Haven or MSC's Yacht Club. RCCL's Star/Royal/Genie/whatever isn't really a "ship-within-a-ship" and RCCL doesn't want it to be (unfortunately, IMO).

The Oasis Class is a great design that continues to improve (and grow) with each new ship. I believe that there will be 2 more after Symphony OTS. MSC's version (similar but smaller & called World Class) will be the only real challenge to the Oasis Class in size. For now, the Oasis is really a class by itself.

Edited by Two Wheels Only