How do you get a better deal than thru the Cruise line?

Hflors

We have booked many Celebrity cruises. We watch their Tuesday specials though lately they have not been as good as in the past.

We always book through an on line TA and she routinely gives us OBC's. The OBC on Celebrity cruises in the past has been the same as we get when booking other cruise lines. But...we have not been on a Celebrity ship for two plus years. It has been Princess and RCI. No particular reason other than the right offer has not come along.

not a matter of IF but of when

So you say, but about 3 or 4 years ago Carnival embarked on a policy to bypass/eliminate TA's. It worked so well that their bookings dropped below acceptable levels.

The affected TAs were pointing clients to other Lines that did not adopt the Carnival model.

Amazingly, Carnival has since changed the policy, likely back to what it was before the beancounters had their way.

Interestingly, it was only Carnival that tried this...it did not find its way to Princess, HAL, etc.

As a consumer I understand the TA business model and agree with it. If the cruise lines move to eliminate it, I will expect their prices to drop 10-15%.:cool:

I only book directly through my PCC at Holland America. Its much easier for me to contact them directly and get all my questions answered, rather than wait 2-3 days for a TA. Also, once I discover a reduction in cabin fare (and I check), it's easier to just call myself and get on obc or refund. I hate dealing through a middleman, and the obc my TA offers hasn't been enough to justify the inconvenience. And no one knows the ships better than the holland America PCCs.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I agree with everything you've said. That's why I wait until a couple of days before final payment to transfer the booking. I don't normally feel philanthropic enough regarding HAL to ignore that 9-10% of the fare in refundable OBC from the TA.

Maybe my TA was just cheap. May I ask your average OBC, and the length of the cruise to which it would apply?

TA commissions are fare driven, not by number of days. Since all the work is done before the booking transfer, I just use the travel dept of the big box that rhymes with roscoe. They always give around 9-10% of the fare before taxes and fees in OBC, no matter the length of cruise. Starting Sept 1, their Executive members will get 2% back at year end on all travel just like on all other purchases. Throw in their no-fee visa card that pays another 3% on all travel and it starts to add up.

Yet doesn't the booking transfer have to happen within a few weeks of booking the cruise? I won't book air usually for several months, as well as pre and post hotel stays. I like to do all this directly with cruise line myself. What degree of service do you get from big box? What about price questions and excursion questions? What if you want to change a dining time? I hate calling the cruise line and being told they won't help me, please call travel agent, and then having to wait three days for an answer. Does that happen to you?

Also, I noticed online for one cruise I booked that a significantly better located cabin was suddenly available. I called directly and changed it within ten minutes. Can you do that with Big Box? If their service is good, I will use them!

Yet doesn't the booking transfer have to happen within a few weeks of booking the cruise? I won't book air usually for several months, as well as pre and post hotel stays. I like to do all this directly with cruise line myself. What degree of service do you get from big box? What about price questions and excursion questions? What if you want to change a dining time? I hate calling the cruise line and being told they won't help me, please call travel agent, and then having to wait three days for an answer. Does that happen to you?

Also, I noticed online for one cruise I booked that a significantly better located cabin was suddenly available. I called directly and changed it within ten minutes. Can you do that with Big Box? If their service is good, I will use them!

Unlike Celebrity, which allows transfers for a very limited time after booking (30 days?), HAL allows transfers until final payment is made, which on shorter cruises is due 75 days out, sooner on longer cruises, but I don't remember the number of days. I already have specialty dining and excursions reserved by then and my questions answered by my HAL PCC. I book my own airfare for most travel. I call HAL for air or hotels only if it involved overseas business/first class tickets as they sometimes have seats under contract that are sometimes cheaper, and if rooms are included as they for suite customers on some sailings. Google flights is my friend, and I book any rooms shortly after the cruise. Unless the trip is pretty exotic, I have little need for TA services, so I'm more interested in the payout. That being said, Roscoe is famous for customer service, though I've only called a couple of times and whatever was answered. I use Insure My Trip for travel insurance.

Even though it's $450 you get $300 travel credit every year plus the other perks so if you travel it's more of a value than the Preferred card and you get the Trip Medical benefits. One nice cruise and you pay for it by not having to buy other travel insurance? Everyone has their own needs [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're right; everyone has their own needs. We need a medical plan that covers preexisting conditions as well as a $500,000 medical evacuation benefit. GeoBlue Trekker Choice does that. Chase Sapphire Reserve's benefits are much more limited.:)

Some lines have the short term option to transfer...I think DCL does that. Holland at this time do not.

Excursion questions can be addressed to the excursion off at HAL. You book those and specialty dining directly with HAL. If you want to change your dining time, yes, call Costco. If you want to apply a promotion, correct, you can not call the cruise line directly.

They don't call you back 3 days later, they handle all on phone at the time, conferencing in with HAL if needed. You might have to wait on hold a bit to get through to the agents on the top free line though.

Page after page of responses, all kinds of strategies, etc etc etc. To be honest, we just do not understand a lot of these posts...because it is very easy to get a better deal then you get by booking direct with HAL (or other cruise lines). There is no trick, you do not need a complex transfer strategy, etc. We have posted on CC (for many years) that its simply a matter of shopping around among reputable high volume cruise agencies....BEFORE YOU BOOK! Once you book, even if you plan on later transferring (a method which makes little sense since it just adds more steps) you have lost some of your leverage with a decent cruise agency. Sure, they want you to transfer to them (and will offer some extra OBCs or amenities) but the want new bookings even more...and will often give more!

We have cruised a few times on HAL (will be 5 Star within the next 3 weeks) and have a PCC. We do not use our PCC...because our PCC cannot come close to matching the deals we get by booking with any of several cruise agencies. When our PCC suggested we book with her..and then transfer the booking...my response was.. "Why? If you want my booking, then give me as good a deal." And, of course the PCC cannot do that for reasons that are a bit mysterious (the cruise lines do not want to compete with the Cruise Agencies upon who they depend).

So my suggestion remains the same. When you find a cruise you want to book and are truly going to do a booking (why waste anyone's time if you are not for real), then shop around among several major cruise agencies for the best deal. You can look for these deals online...and then give the best deal agencies a quick call to see if they can further enhance the offer. The check with HAL's site (of even call your PCC) and see if they can match (or even come close) to your best deal.

For those of us who book longer (and more expensive HAL cruises) I will stress that this is not about a couple of hundred dollars....but can be about thousands of dollars (on a single booking). When fellow cruisers tell us they love their PCC or their long term travel agent, my response is usually something like "do you love the enough to give them a big gift worth hundreds or thousands of dollars?" enough said.

Hank

Page after page of responses, all kinds of strategies, etc etc etc. To be honest, we just do not understand a lot of these posts...because it is very easy to get a better deal then you get by booking direct with HAL (or other cruise lines). There is no trick, you do not need a complex transfer strategy, etc. We have posted on CC (for many years) that its simply a matter of shopping around among reputable high volume cruise agencies....BEFORE YOU BOOK! Once you book, even if you plan on later transferring (a method which makes little sense since it just adds more steps) you have lost some of your leverage with a decent cruise agency. Sure, they want you to transfer to them (and will offer some extra OBCs or amenities) but the want new bookings even more...and will often give more!

We have cruised a few times on HAL (will be 5 Star within the next 3 weeks) and have a PCC. We do not use our PCC...because our PCC cannot come close to matching the deals we get by booking with any of several cruise agencies. When our PCC suggested we book with her..and then transfer the booking...my response was.. "Why? If you want my booking, then give me as good a deal." And, of course the PCC cannot do that for reasons that are a bit mysterious (the cruise lines do not want to compete with the Cruise Agencies upon who they depend).

So my suggestion remains the same. When you find a cruise you want to book and are truly going to do a booking (why waste anyone's time if you are not for real), then shop around among several major cruise agencies for the best deal. You can look for these deals online...and then give the best deal agencies a quick call to see if they can further enhance the offer. The check with HAL's site (of even call your PCC) and see if they can match (or even come close) to your best deal.

For those of us who book longer (and more expensive HAL cruises) I will stress that this is not about a couple of hundred dollars....but can be about thousands of dollars (on a single booking). When fellow cruisers tell us they love their PCC or their long term travel agent, my response is usually something like "do you love the enough to give them a big gift worth hundreds or thousands of dollars?" enough said.

Hank

As usual, you make some good points.

I've one cruise booked with a HAL PCC, This was the first time I've done that. Prior to booking, I made it known that I would be transferring to a TA later. I think the PCC would prefer a booking that is transferred rather than totally missing out on the booking.

I have two regular TA that I use. I will "shop" this reservation to the both of them and they will know that. We'll see how that works out but I expect that will provide sufficient leverage. If I don't get the usual deal from them then I'll know to book with them in the first place.

I don't know if shopping the internet is worthwhile. It's my understanding that HAL and Princess prohibit advertising lower rates than those on the cruise line websites so I don't see what internet shopping accomplishes. You have to know which TA discount and you have to ask them (email or phone) for a quote to get the discounted prices. (BTW, for those looking for TA that discount, look for a TA that tells you to contact them for a quote. Now, I know most think that is just a come on to get you on the phone, but it can lead to very big savings.)

A point to remember is that the discount is usually a percentage of the fare offered by Princess. If you're booking inexpensive cruises, you may not be saving enough to be worth the effort. Part of it also involves how comfortable you are with booking a cruise.

I booked with a big internet cruise website, HAL was having a 2 gratuities included. My ta included it also, a $200 oBc credit no deposit due until 8/1. $24.99 booking fee but well worth it. Oh yes, 3rd person in room only had to pay taxes

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As usual, you make some good points.

I've one cruise booked with a HAL PCC, This was the first time I've done that. Prior to booking, I made it known that I would be transferring to a TA later. I think the PCC would prefer a booking that is transferred rather than totally missing out on the booking.

I have two regular TA that I use. I will "shop" this reservation to the both of them and they will know that. We'll see how that works out but I expect that will provide sufficient leverage. If I don't get the usual deal from them then I'll know to book with them in the first place.

I don't know if shopping the internet is worthwhile. It's my understanding that HAL and Princess prohibit advertising lower rates than those on the cruise line websites so I don't see what internet shopping accomplishes. You have to know which TA discount and you have to ask them (email or phone) for a quote to get the discounted prices. (BTW, for those looking for TA that discount, look for a TA that tells you to contact them for a quote. Now, I know most think that is just a come on to get you on the phone, but it can lead to very big savings.)

A point to remember is that the discount is usually a percentage of the fare offered by Princess. If you're booking inexpensive cruises, you may not be saving enough to be worth the effort. Part of it also involves how comfortable you are with booking a cruise.

You are correct that most cruise lines (including HAL) tie the hands of agencies when it comes to "advertising" lower prices. That is why it really pays (in many ways) to register your e-mail with multiple reputable agencies. Rates that are not "advertised" are available to those who are registered since they are technically private rates. But it is not just about the cruise price. In some cases, on board credits can be in the hundreds and even over a thousand dollars. Our favorite cruise agency actually has several different offers when it comes to HAL. They do offer a rate (close to what is offered by HAL) with a generous OBC. But, if you as for a private rate you will get a much lower price (without a lot of OBC).

But here is my point. One has nothing to lose in shopping around. At worst, you might waste an hour or two looking...and then you can still book with your PCC. Suffice it to say that in our many HAL bookings we have never booked direct with HAL (or our PCC) for the simple reason that we save real money booking elsewhere. And when we book through our various cruise agencies, the payments are still processed by HAL, the booking appears on our HAL account within seconds, etc. The only difference is that if we have a problem we are supposed to work through our agency...which is often a good thing since they have more clout the me...trying to deal with HAL.

And since you mentioned Princess...this line is where we have gotten some of our most spectacular deals. How about a 10 day cruise, in the highest category balcony cabin, on their newest ship (Regal Princess) for $1200 which was the total price (for 2) including all taxes and fees. And then we were able to get $400 of OBC! So we thought a balcony for $45 per passenger day was a pretty good deal (not available on the Princess web site). Last summer we got a great deal on a 24 Zuiderdam cruise....again by shopping around. The deals are there for those who look

Hank

This is my second try at posting this. I haven't cruised since 2009. I booked a cruise with what I thought was a reputable online agency. Their quote was virtually identical to HAL's albeit in a different format. I received $100 in OBC, $50 pp. after reading all five pages of this thread I guess I got a lousy deal. I don't even like to think about what it will be in$CDN. Should I go back to the TA and question the OBC or just accept my own stupidity? I'd appreciate your advice. Thanks.

Sorry-I forgot that the price was $8900 U.S. plus $700 for insurance. They knew it was non-refundable but only said the deposit was until I tried to make a change. Okay, done now.

Edited by Sheila2

This is my second try at posting this. I haven't cruised since 2009. I booked a cruise with what I thought was a reputable online agency. Their quote was virtually identical to HAL's albeit in a different format. I received $100 in OBC, $50 pp. after reading all five pages of this thread I guess I got a lousy deal. I don't even like to think about what it will be in$CDN. Should I go back to the TA and question the OBC or just accept my own stupidity? I'd appreciate your advice. Thanks.

Sorry-I forgot that the price was $8900 U.S. plus $700 for insurance. They knew it was non-refundable but only said the deposit was until I tried to make a change. Okay, done now.

Something isn't right. Did you book a suite? For how many? Does it include grats. $700 is steep for insurance my ta asked for $99 I booked it thru insure my trip for $145 for 3. Canadian exchange rate is not that out of wack is it? Some folks have a us bank and cc.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I inquired earlier but did not see an answer. Does the HAL PCC lose anything money when you transfer a booking away from HAL when booked by PCC? Please advise if you know the answer to this. Thanks
A booking through a PCC counts towards their bonus once the cruise sails regardless of whether the booking is transferred. They do make more if it stays in house. I'm going to paraphrase what my PCC told me years ago: We are salaried employees paid to book cruises, but also to answer questions. We get credit for originating a booking, more if it stays in house. He likened it to a real estate agent who lists a property for sale. They get paid something regardless of who sells the property, more if they sell it as well as listing it. He went on to say that he'd be transferring a booking too, if it meant picking up several hundred dollars in OBC or discount.

One thing to remember, once your booking is transferred to a TA, they become your administrative contact for that cruise. That's why I have my HAL ducks in a row prior to final payment date, which is also the latest one can transfer their booking.

First of all, you have the option to book in Canadian or US $. Not all on line agencies do it, but there are TA's out there that do. Just an FYI.

Now, your problem is that the fare is nonrefundable.

So you can't cancel it . Did the TA send you a confirmation? In the confirmation does it say that the cruise fare is non refundable? If it doesn't and they did not disclose then you have cause to go to the top at the agency and demand the cruise be cancelled. Or try going to HAL and reporting the agency. HAL may be able to help.

If you are stuck with the non refundable, I would check to see if this booking can be transferred. I suspect it can. I'd have it transferred back to HAL (and if the agency does not co-operate call. HAL). Then go looking for a TA who will offer some decent OBC. If this is HAL's insurance you have (and assuming you don't want it) you can probably cancel it if you are not inside final payment.

On the bright side, the Canadian dollar has moved up quite a bit in the last few days against the U.S. So maybe the foreign exchange Gods will be on your side when your payment is due (or you could pay early ;) )

What bothers me the most about you situation is not the OBC - not all TA's give OBC/discounts - but the fact that your nonrefundable terms were not disclosed to you.

If this is HAL's insurance you have (and assuming you don't want it) you can probably cancel it if you are not inside final payment.

If this is HAL's CPP, it is fully refundable if cancelled within 10 days. However, thereafter, the "Cancel for Any Reason" section is not refundable.

In response to someone's opinion that $700 is too much for insurance, if the $700 is for HAL'S CPP, it seems to be the appropriate amount for the fare. Also, the CPP is not insurance. It is a cancellation policy, so the poster is comparing apples to oranges. I have found HAL's CPP premium to be cheaper than cancel for any reason policies offered by various insurance agencies - by several thousand dollars in the case of a long cruise.

In response to someone's opinion that $700 is too much for insurance, if the $700 is for HAL'S CPP, it seems to be the appropriate amount for the fare. Also, the CPP is not insurance. It is a cancellation policy, so the poster is comparing apples to oranges. I have found HAL's CPP premium to be cheaper than cancel for any reason policies offered by various insurance agencies - by several thousand dollars in the case of a long cruise.

Agree the insurance cost seems in line. From insuremytrip:

In general, you should expect a plan will cost anywhere from 4%-10% of your total pre-paid, nonrefundable trip cost. For example, if you purchased a trip with a total cost of $5,000, travel insurance policies available to you will likely range in price from $250-$500, depending on variables.

Hi hi everyone,

First I'll answer some questions. Yes Pam, I did book a suite. No the price does not include gratuities. It is not HAL's insurance but a policy through the agency. I had some serious concerns when I read it but they were dismissed with a " Don't worry about it". The link to the insurance that was in my contract has disappeared so I can't check again. One was that the policy clearly stated that all travellers must be U.S. Citizens. To this I was told that the only province excluded was Quebec. Another was that pre-existing conditions would be covered providing certain conditions were met. When I questioned that the answer was that condition was that you pay for the insurance on your final payment date. The$700 is for 2 women in their 60's,cancellation and medical. Not cancellation for any reason but pretty good. Sorry to be so long-winded but it seemed some clarification was required.

Anyway, I called my "big box" travel agency and was told that based on the fare I paid the OBC would be $735.vs$100 both in U.S.$. I need to transfer my booking to HAL ,get it changed to $Cdn. And then transfer it to the other agency.

Yes my confirmation does state that I have booked a non -refundable rate. It's down between transfers and Diections and Parking.

I admit that this was an impulse buy. My daughter died in February and I didn't do my homework. Whatever happens I am grateful for all the help I have received here and will certainly be better prepared the next time. Thank you all for your help. I've learned a lot.

Sheila

. .

I spent yesterday on the phone to no avail. HAL can't change the currency without cancelling and rebooking.

My fare is not nonrefundable but I would lose my deposit and wipe out any benefit.

Thanks again for your help.

Sheila