Purified water - 12 pack

Just noticed on Carnivals site for In-Stateroom beverages that they offer 12 pack of water for $4.50. It shows that it is a 16.9 oz bottle. Just want to confirm that it would be twelve 16.9 oz bottles for a total of $4.50? Sounds awfully cheap...that's why I want to make sure before I purchase it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Cheap?

It's double the price of what you can get it for shoreside. The catch is you are no longer permitted to carry on bottled water. Carnival's captive audience allows for this price gouging.

Cheap?

It's double the price of what you can get it for shoreside. The catch is you are no longer permitted to carry on bottled water. Carnival's captive audience allows for this price gouging.

Price gouging is charging $50 or more for purified tap water the way that NCL does.

OP, yes, we ordered the water and it is 12 16.9 ounce bottles of purified spring water and is very good. We always took several bottles ashore with us.

Just for grins I did some quick research, NCL has lowered their price and they charge $28 for 12 1 liter bottles of Aquafina. RCI charges $47 for 12 1 liter bottles of Evian. Princess charges $6.90 for 12 500ml (16.9 oz) bottles and do not specify the brand.

Does RCL, NCL, and Princess also have the rule "No bottles of your own, allowed on board?

Hush, don't tell Carnival what these other ships are charging for water. It's ridiculous :(

NCL doesn't allow bottles or cans. Not sure about the others. I'm sure Carnival is well aware of what the competition charges;).

We just pre-ordered the water as well since seeing the rules change of not being able to bring bottled water in your carry on (we last cruised right before that rules change was made). I think the longer time passes since the rules change, the higher the price of the water will get. It's "low" now to help buffer the grudge against the rule change, and as that gets father into the past I would bet the water price goes up. JMO

We just pre-ordered the water as well since seeing the rules change of not being able to bring bottled water in your carry on (we last cruised right before that rules change was made). I think the longer time passes since the rules change, the higher the price of the water will get. It's "low" now to help buffer the grudge against the rule change, and as that gets father into the past I would bet the water price goes up. JMO

Agreed. If I'm not mistaken, the 12 bottle package started at $2.99 (with a slightly higher price if purchased on board), and has already increased twice to $4.50. Now it is the same price on board, but you must order through room service and pay the 15% gratuity as well.

Even thought the price has gone up since they first started selling the 12 packs, it's far from gouging. Carnival could have easily said "No bottles of water can be brought on board, but we'll be happy to sell you it for $5 a bottle". That would be gouging. Yes, I can get a pack of 32 bottles at my local supermarket for $3, but for a cruise ship, resort, or theme park, Carnival's deal is still a very good one.

Cheap?

We just returned from a cruise on the Elation and preordered the water. Received 12 bottles (16.9 ozs each) of water. It was in the cabin waiting on us.

DH and I did not feel we'd been "gouged". The 12-pack were large bottles (16.9 oz) delivered right to the stateroom and waiting for us when we boarded. No need for us to tote them aboard ourselves. Felt we got our money's worth for that convenience.;)

We pre-ordered online and the price was a flat $4.50 - no 15% gratuity.

The tap water on board is FREE. To those that that claim they can't drink the tap water, it's the same water that's served in the MDR, and used to make ice, lemonade, tea, and coffee. I sometimes wonder how many people that refuse to pay extra to eat in one of the specialty restaurants don't think twice about spending $4.50 for 12 bottles of water? SMH

OP, forgive me as I am not trying to highjack your thread but I had a question that maybe someone can help with.

I know Carnival allows passengers to bring cans of non alcoholic beverages when embarking. But after reading the fine print on their website it also says "cartons" are permitted. Does anyone have firsthand experience with this? We would like to bring juice boxes for our 2-year old. TIA for any info.

Here's the fine print from website:

7d44a40e3a9aca8090c87dfdc677e98e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I have no problem with the water straight out of the tap. I prefer bottles for walking around the ship and taking on excursions. Yes, I know I can use my own container, but this way I don't have to keep track of it once it's empty.

Carnival started offering "cheap" bottled water prices when they banned passengers from bringing it onboard. While they have increased prices from what they originally charged when they banned carrying it onboard, it is still reasonable. You may find this Cruise Critic article worthwhile:

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6858

I have no problem with the water straight out of the tap. I prefer bottles for walking around the ship and taking on excursions. Yes, I know I can use my own container, but this way I don't have to keep track of it once it's empty.

Exactly.