Getting VERY SICK on a Transatlantic Cruise

Alex NY

Because of my past life as a Paramedic I cannot let your post go without a comment. Where on earth did you get the idea that a helicopter ride decreases the survival rate. As was proven many years ago by the very sophisticated "Shock Trauma" system in the State of Maryland, what you say is just not true. I know first hand that helicopters save lives....many lives. The reality is that in most cases where a helicopter transfer/rescue is needed...the patient is usually in such a condition that they have little clue as to what is happening. And in cases where the patient is conscious and alert....most are grateful and have even begged for a fast helicopter transport. As to slower evacuations, even on land we would always opt for non air transport because of the cost and complications of making the arrangements, securing a decent and safe landing zone, etc. On sea, the ship's physician will do everything possible to avoid a helicopter transfer because there is an element of risk inherent in any sea transfer...be it to a chopper or to another vessel. Physicians only request a transport when, in their professional judgment, it is necessary for the life and safety of the passenger (or crew member). Your issue of "stress" is not the main consideration when it comes to proper triage. Its simply a matter of whether the ship can provide the necessary medical support until reaching the next port. If not, then finding an alternative means of getting the passenger off the ship becomes a major task which involves physicians, the Captain, land based facilities, the nearest Coast Guard (or military), etc. Your comment (about stress) simply demeans all these highly trained professionals who only have the best interests of the patient in their mind. Shame on you.

Bottom line is that there are certain medical conditions which cannot be properly treated (or even reasonably stabilized) on board a ship. There are many medical conditions where getting the patient to a facility that is equipped to handle the situation is truly a matter of life and death. Many years ago we were on a RCI Cruise (then called RCCL) where the Captain (Leif Otto Bang) made a decision to deviate to a nearby island to get an badly injured crew member off the ship. This involved stopping the ship off Puerto Plato on a nasty night, and transferring the crew member ashore in an open life boat (in pretty rough seas at night. This was accomplished successfully and resulted in saving the crew members leg (which was badly crushed). The following morning the Captain announced we would be several hours late getting to our next port...because of the deviation and delays. That same day the Captain had a basic question and answer session for passengers and a woman stood up and rated about being late to the next island and missing her tour. This was the only time, in over forty years of extensive cruising, that I saw a Captain lose his temper. Captain Bang (one of the nicest guys you could meet...and a great Captain) told that lady that he put the life and safety of his passengers and crew above other issues such as making a port on time. He further pointed out to the lady that if she were the one severely injured....she would not complain about a Captain trying to save her life (and leg). The lady further remarked that she thought it was outrageous that the Captain evacuated anyone to the DR! The Captain held his temper and explained that his crew member was taken directly to a chartered medical evac jet...and flown to Miami...and was doing well. All this was paid for by RCCL And finally, I will add that I have been on far more than 100 cruises (some of which were months long) all over the world. During all those cruises we have had only 3 helicopter evacuations (2 for passengers and 1 for crew). In each case the transfers were successful and we were later informed that the patients reached their medical destination. The most recent (off the coast of Pacific Mexico) involved not only a helicopter (assigned to the SEALs in San Diego) but also a KC130 aerial tanker (to refuel the helicopter). In that case the US Military moved heaven and earth to find a way to get that passenger to a land-based hospital (this story made the papers in San Diego) and we were told the efforts were successful.

Hank

Hank thank you so much for sharing your experience/perspective on this. This is very informative.

Keit

This entire topic scares the bejeezus out of me :(. DW and I are very active travelers on both cruises and land (we are out of our country up to 7 months a year) and are both seniors...which increases the risk of health related issues. Like many seasoned travelers we purchase our own travel medical policy (which covers up to $250,000 or medical and $500,000 of evacuation). Because of my background (in a prior life) in the emergency medical field I know, too well, how a medical emergency can quickly result in a situation where you lose nearly all control....even if you have a healthy advocate at your side. I am not sure there is any way to give the assurances sought by folks who are concerned with this issue. The bottom line is that when you are traveling you are likely increasing your risk of not being able to quickly get adequate medical care in an emergency or urgent situation.

On the other hand, as one who loves cruising and travel.....we have made a decision to take the risk. If my physician told me not to travel (for medical reasons) I am pretty sure we would follow that advice. But otherwise, we are willing to accept the risk. and by the way, even physicians can have a sense of humor. My family physician has urged us not to live in Mexico (we live in Puerto Vallarta for 10 weeks a year) because of all the health risks in this part of the world (montezuma's revenge, parasites, Dengue fever, etc)....but we know the truth is that he is just jealous :).

Hank

Where do you draw the line? Is three days from port too far? Two days? What if you are evacuated to a Jamaican hospital? A Haitian hospital?

Proximity to proper health care does not figure into my travel plans. You can be a long way from advanced medical care in any number of places in the USA. I sure do not want to spend my life living across the street from a major medical facility just in case.

I am not sure. It could be that when in Romania, dealing with the Romanians, they assume that their medical facilities are excellent. We only know that they are not. She also didn’t know until she was in the middle of it all.

What I know is when you are in the hands of professionals of any kind and can’t move, you go with the flow. I had no choice with my treatment. What I did know is it had to be done right then. In pre-op when they took my nail polish off, even in my partially unconscious state, I took pause. You see, they needed my polish off so they could see if my nails were turning blue!!!

I think that is when my heart really sunk. Pro-op was moving my gurney from room to room not really knowing why. I got so my body couldn’t move. My mind was sharp but I couldn’t get the words into my mouth. The other thing is, I really didn’t know how sick I was until months after returning home. The medical staff didn’t speak well enough English for much explanation. My sutures were removed here in California upon returning home after two weeks. The technician said she hadn’t seen sutures like that in 20 years.

Whenever I have had surgery in U.S., they always removed nail polish from fingers and toes pre- surgwery. Cusrtomary thing they do.

• Like 1

No,not now. I have had three surgeries in the past two years after returning home correcting issues from the Azores. The doctor and nurses in the Azores did an excellent job with the tools they had. It is just problematic when your abdominal in open to the air for 5 hours.

Pre-op for my three surgeries here did not include taking off nail polishes. I once asked if they wanted my nail polish removed and they asked why. They now put that clip on your index finger to see how much oxygen is in the blood.

I agree with your attitude Hank. We can't stop living because we are afraid something will happen.

We went on an expedition ship to Antarctica in 2015 and even though there were two doctors on board and we had full medical insurance, I doubt if help could have got to us quickly when we were south of the Antarctic Circle.

By the way, nothing prepared us for how awesome an experience we had.

I understanding from others on the Caribbean Princess that everyone was quite caring. After my surgery was successful, my husband sent a letter of gratitude to Princess Cruise Lines to forward on to the captain. We understand that it was read over the PA system to all on board. They all clapped.

There is a video on You Tube that the military took of the airlift. You can view it here:

Resgate de uma passageira do navio CARIBBEAN PRINCESS. Just go to You Tube and type this in.

Wow. Look at that. What a memory for you! It seemed really strange to not see any passengers on the decks or verandahs though. I'm glad to hear of your success story and the results of your husband's letter. <3

the Captain that we were turning back because we had a critically ill person. We were too far out for helicopter assistance and there were no military or other ships nearby that could offer the assistance we needed. .
Remember, too, that communication is easy these days. The ship doesn't have to make it all the way back to shore to help a critically ill patient: the ship only has to travel far enough that a helicopter can reach the ship. With the two of them traveling towards one another, they can evacuate the passenger faster.

I can't say this is a situation that worries me overmuch. Sure, things can happen, but they are very unlikely.

That is not particularly true. The morning of my airlift the ship did rush back to the Azores and we waited in the chapel, which was the public room on the top deck of the ship. About 30 crew members and the 6 medical staff including 2 doctors and me in the center of the chapel on a gurney waiting for perhaps hours for the helicopter. I lost track of time going in and out of consciousness. It was very overcast and drizzly. They had to send an airplane out to find our ship ahead of the helicopter. You can see the plane in some of the frames of the airlift on YouTube. I found out later that the weather was so bad they almost didn’t come out and get me. I have also heard since that there are other times when a helicopter has not picked up due to weather. While the helicopter is along side the ship both moving forward at the same speed, all cruisers were asked to remain in their staterooms as the medivac is very dangerous. One wrong move and there is a horrible crash.

In the medical center, they put a orange life vest on me. I thought at the time....are you kidding me....if I fall in the drink....just let me go!

We work probably one or two long-range rescues every month, and few of them are from cruise ships - but it does happen.

If it is life threatening, or causing undue suffering, the US military can coordinate a rescue anywhere. And trust me, I mean anywhere! :)

Maybe because cruise ships have medical personnel and facilities.

Do realize we were working with the Portuguese Military from an island. They really didn’t want to pick me up. They said they only had one helicopter so it better be important. My thanks to the captain of the Caribbean Princess and the Princess Port Agent for their insistence of its importance.

Do realize we were working with the Portuguese Military from an island. They really didn’t want to pick me up. They said they only had one helicopter so it better be important. My thanks to the captain of the Caribbean Princess and the Princess Port Agent for their insistence of its importance.

What a horrid expeience but blessings on those who did so much to help you. were you ever able to communCiate with Captain or sIhp';s medical staff , Potrugal's military to thank them?

Thank you for sharing about your expedience, with us.

Edited by sail7seas

After the surgery in the Azores, my husband wrote an email to Princess Cruise Lines which they forwarded to the captain thanking them. The Captain read the email over the PA system to the entire cruise ship. We understand many clapped and were rooting for my recovery.

Due to language barriers and the emergency, we never did contact the Portuguese Military. Perhaps we should have but with all that was going on and a few days of touch and go, it didn’t happen. I did email the hospital and Dr. Teressa to thank them for all they did. This email went to the online email porthole of the hospital. I never received a reply back so don’t know if they got it.

Yes,it is indeed a happy ending. I felt so bad for the ship board doctor when he had to tell me that I may not make it. That moment was very surreal. My life has changed however. I had to retire from work and have had three surgeries here at home from all the damage done by waiting. Through my life, I undoubtedly will have more surgeries due to herniations and intestinal obstructions. Of all the days of my life this had to happen on a cruise ship is like hitting the lottery. Many doctors said that the only reason I made it is because I am so strong. You see, I have always worked out at a gym and do weight training. Little did I know that this could save my life. Everyday I feel the results of the outcome of this emergency. If my appendix ruptured at home and I received immediate medical assistance my life would be a whole lot easier today. Yes, I am still alive. This is why I would never be so far from port in the middle of the ocean again. My doctor suggests that I never go on a cruise again as my intestines could obstruct at any time due to internal scar tissue known as adhesions.

I find that the cruisers posting here are indeed deluding themselves as to what can happen at sea.

• 4 years later...
On 3/1/2018 at 4:58 PM, Judith Janofsky said:

In May of 2015 I was on the Caribbean Princess with a crossing from Ft. Lauderdale to British Isles. I had pain in lower right abdominal area which I thought was gas. We were touring Ponte Delgada in the Azores with appendicitis and didn’t know. We left port on our way to the British Isles at 4:00 and thought I better go to the medical center prior to dinner to do something for my gas. They took a blood test and my white blood count was way off. I did have appendicitis. They gave me IV antibiotics and they would morning and evening until we arrived in the British Isles.

2:00 in the morning my appendix ruptured. The doctors contacted the captain. The ship was turned around and sped back to the Azores. In the morning we was airlifted by Portuguese Miitary helicopter to Ponte Delgada. This was an hour trip. I am not sure but it was 8 hours about from when my appendix ruptured and I went in for 5 hours of surgery and 2 weeks in the hospital. I got peritonitis and sepsis but thanks for the quick operation of the medical staff and captain, I owe my life to them. The Princess agent in the Azores was quite helpful and met us at the hospital and took my husband to a hotel. Trip insurance paid for everything. The Portuguese Military did not charge for the airlift.

I will never be on a transoceanic trip again. Of all the days of my life my appendix had to rupture then!!

We were actually on this cruise,! I still remember being woken up in the middle of the night and having to leave our cabin. Quite surreal but happy that it all ended well. The captain did let us know… if I remember correctly… that things were going to be ok which we were grateful to know and appreciated.

• Like 1

Interesting that this thread has been resurrected after so many years (and some very stupid comments).  In winter 2008 on Noordam - about 12 hours out of San Juan returning to New York I woke up at about 2:00 AM and noticed that moon was on the other side of the ship than it had been when I went to sleep an hour earlier. We had clearly turned around - we were heading back towards San Juan to get within Coast Guard helicopter range from San Juan. Fortunately it was a calm night - and the critically ill passenger was successfully evacuated.  We were later advised that he had gotten necessary treatment and was recovering.   I have been on two other cruises where medical evacuations have taken place - once by rendezvousing with a Canadian coast guard cutter at sea and once when Westerdam returned to San Diego a few hours after sailing for Hawaii to drop off a passenger needing medical care not possible on board.

When you consider the couple (or more) thousands on long cruises - many of whom are elderly, it should not be surprising that such evacuations are not all that rare.

• Like 2

In 2018, we had TWO medical evacuations on days two and three of our transatlantic. After the second drop off, the captain got on the speaker to tell us that no one else was allowed to get sick because the ship was now on route across the Atlantic with no places to stop for medical help. The passengers all cooperated...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/2/2018 at 12:11 PM, Hlitner said:

Reading your post makes me ask a question. Was there a reason why your friend could not be medically evacuated to a Western European country where she could have received first class treatment (and replacement) of her hip? Most of the time a fractured hip can be stabilized enough...so that surgery can be delayed. From Romania to many excellent European facilities would be no more than 2 hours flying time. This is the reason that many travelers make sure to have decent medical emergency evacuation insurance.

Hank

What a disingenuous comment.  Have you been to Romania and experienced their medical system/care?  Doubtful.  I served in both he former Yugoslavia and Ceaucescu's Romania.  Both had western trained doctors and German medical equipment.  However, like in the US not everyone has access to best doctors and facilities.  My spouse spent a week in a Yugoslav military hospital for a kidney stone.  Great doctor and latest German equipment.

14 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

What a disingenuous comment.  Have you been to Romania and experienced their medical system/care?  Doubtful.  I served in both he former Yugoslavia and Ceaucescu's Romania.  Both had western trained doctors and German medical equipment.  However, like in the US not everyone has access to best doctors and facilities.  My spouse spent a week in a Yugoslav military hospital for a kidney stone.  Great doctor and latest German equipment.

Nothing like waiting four years before commenting !