BEWARE HAL Photographers

9stilton

I usually avoid ships photographers like the plague however traveling with the family and grandchildren I was "encouraged" to purchase a couple of shots! Before having photographs taken I asked for the price of digital images (as opposed to prints) & was told that they would be $39.95 each.

We duly had a sitting & when I came to buy I was then told that the digital image of the 4 grandchildren would be $39.95 as per the discussion we had, however the family group of 10 would be an extra $50 more ie:- $89.95. Their so called logic behind this cost for the digital image is that groups are charged at $5 extra per person / child!! HAL photographers could not explain what constitutes a group (4 didn't but 10 did) & neither could they explain why they were charging for ALL people that were photographed when 4 clearly carried no premium at all!!

Needless to say I felt very aggrieved at the situation as HAL do not advertise that digital images of groups would be a higher cost and they certainly appeared to pluck costs out of the air with no logic. Needless to all of the questions were channeled through the Westerdam manager, Vaughan who would not even discuss the matter with me.

JUST BEWARE OF THE SITUATION SHOULD YOU WANT A GROUP PHOTOGRAPH & BE PREPARED TO BE FLEECED!!! SUCH A PITY THAT A GRASPING APPROACH IS TAKEN THAT SIMPLY NULLIFIES ALL THE OTHER GOOD POINTS HAL HAVE TO OFFER.

Yes, we encountered that too and we're disgusted with them. Ended up getting just one photo of our group that was in one of the ports as we disembarked...irony was it was better than any of the formal portraits!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I usually avoid ships photographers like the plague however traveling with the family and grandchildren I was "encouraged" to purchase a couple of shots! Before having photographs taken I asked for the price of digital images (as opposed to prints) & was told that they would be $39.95 each.

We duly had a sitting & when I came to buy I was then told that the digital image of the 4 grandchildren would be $39.95 as per the discussion we had, however the family group of 10 would be an extra $50 more ie:- $89.95. Their so called logic behind this cost for the digital image is that groups are charged at $5 extra per person / child!! HAL photographers could not explain what constitutes a group (4 didn't but 10 did) & neither could they explain why they were charging for ALL people that were photographed when 4 clearly carried no premium at all!!

Needless to say I felt very aggrieved at the situation as HAL do not advertise that digital images of groups would be a higher cost and they certainly appeared to pluck costs out of the air with no logic. Needless to all of the questions were channeled through the Westerdam manager, Vaughan who would not even discuss the matter with me.

JUST BEWARE OF THE SITUATION SHOULD YOU WANT A GROUP PHOTOGRAPH & BE PREPARED TO BE FLEECED!!! SUCH A PITY THAT A GRASPING APPROACH IS TAKEN THAT SIMPLY NULLIFIES ALL THE OTHER GOOD POINTS HAL HAVE TO OFFER.

I do agree that the price charged and the way it was presented to you was outrageous. However you are angry at the wrong entity. Just like the shops, art auctions and the hairdressing/nails, it is my understanding that the photography business aboard ship is not run by HAL. They are all private businesses that rent space on the ship.

I've heard so many stories about the photo company that HAL uses that I steer clear of their photographers. And this is another example of their bait and switch. The only explanation I can think of for the group pricing is that they're charging by the pixel!!!!

Apart from the fact that this is not HAL's doing, I am surprised that someone should think that the price for four people would be the same as for ten. That is 2-1/2 times the usual family number, and presumably requires more positioning and possibly more takes. IMHO, OP's indignation is misplaced.

Apart from the fact that this is not HAL's doing, I am surprised that someone should think that the price for four people would be the same as for ten. That is 2-1/2 times the usual family number, and presumably requires more positioning and possibly more takes. IMHO, OP's indignation is misplaced.

OP thought that because that's what she was told. It was classic bait and switch. OP was taken advantage of by a less than honest employee-whom ever that employee works for. It's always a good idea to stay away from ships photographers.

Yes, we encountered that too and we're disgusted with them. Ended up getting just one photo of our group that was in one of the ports as we disembarked...irony was it was better than any of the formal portraits!

Precisely the reason I offer to take pictures for rollcall members and others on board or on excursions. I've been blessed with a really nice camera and either transfer their pictures from my card to their card/device or I email them or use my FTP so they get them. For no charge.

Avoiding the ship's photographers is always a good idea. What annoys me more than anything else is they way they hold up the embarkation process and they often delay the getting off the ship at ports process as well. Pricing? We don't ever even LOOK at the photos so we are not tempted in any way.

If you are active on your roll call, become friendly with others who carry cameras and ask someone to take photos of your family. Then of course offer to do the same for them. We do this all the time and it works great! We do the same thing on small group tours and it really helps friendships form.

On our last couple of cruises, we saw very few people having their pictures -- either as a couple or a group.

And we walked by the gallery several times and people were mainly looking at pictures and we listened as some people complained about the prices.

It is a racket.

Perfect example of an oxymoron :cool:

I like your reference "the usual family number"; anyway I think the time spent to pose 10 vs. 4 is relatively insignificant and the photo company could make up any time usage based on the likelihood of selling more prints; the add on cost is largely unjustified but if they can get away with it they will.

On the Zuiderdam this past March, the printing equipment for photography broke down on day 2 of a 10 night cruise. They had only embarkation and Half Moon Cay/first formal night pictures printed for the entire trip.

The only way to buy photos was to spend time with a photographer going through the digital images on a laptop and then ordering, or you could purchase all your images digitally for one price (forgive me, I don't remember what it was...except that it was expensive)...no discounts, so you'd still have to print them yourselves once you got home.

Once people knew pictures weren't even being printed, the photographers were pretty scarce the rest of the trip. They offered no discounts at all for buying off nothing more than a digital screen shot, so no real incentive at all. Most people didn't want to buy what they couldn't actually see and take home.

Ship photography is a nuisance and HAL allows very hazardous set ups in public hallways. I've tripped and fallen on their cords and I saw a man hit his head hard on a photography light that was hung over a doorway threshold.

Good suggestion to ask another passenger to photograph the family.

On our last couple of cruises, we saw very few people having their pictures -- either as a couple or a group.

And we walked by the gallery several times and people were mainly looking at pictures and we listened as some people complained about the prices.

It is a racket.

Respectfully, It's not a racket if you choose not to share your wallet with them.

Might as well call the Bingo a racket and every other add on that is offered.

If you don't like it or don't see the value then don't buy.

Jim

After our first cruise, we've never had another photo taken. We run through the embarkation area and put our hands in front of our faces whenever we see a camera. While cost is a factor, we feel that the printing--and subsequent destruction--of so many photos is environmentally irresponsible. By the end of a 7 day cruise, so many photos remain! They must throw away tons of paper--and go through oceans of developing chemicals. We just don't want to be part of that.

We've said that if they would offer us a memory stick filled with all images, or the option to choose the images printed before printing, we'd probably buy, but with the current scenario, we cruise in cognito..............

So, I spent quite a few years in the photo printing industry. The "cost" of an 8x10 sheet is relatively inexpensive , even on the machines they run in the backroom of the ships. What you are paying for is the photographer's skill in composing the photo and getting the lighting right. Is it overpriced? You bet. But enough people pay the price to keep them in business. I've purchased a few shots when we were next to a glacier with very difficult lighting. The pictures looked great and turned out much better than the ones I took, so I paid the money. That's why I let them take the pictures around the ship - you never know when they will catch that one perfect "Kodak moment".

I don't buy photos on board cruises, but I find the photographers on HAL ships to be among the least aggressive of cruise line photographers. The few times that I see a HAL photographer, just a look and a shake of my head is enough to send them on their way.

If you want an over-abundance of photographers, you should take a Carnival cruise. You can't throw a dead cat on board a Carnival ship without hitting a photographer.

The company that runs the Imaging/Photo Dept. on HAL and other cruise lines is Ocean Images (UK) Ltd. They are located at:

Unit 7 Home Farm Business Centre

Lockerley, Romsey,

Hampshire, England

SO51 0JT

Great Britain

Their e-mail address is: Info@ocean-images.com

Thanks for giving this information

Sorry, but I don't agree with what you said at all. Holland America is ultimately responsible for vendors on the ship.

I really dislike the pushy and outrageously expensive photographers on Holland America ships. They bother me during embarkation (we always say "no" and walk past them), on deck while cruising by a major sight (like a glacier), in the main dining room plus anywhere near the atrium on formal/gala night.

igraf

I do agree that the price charged and the way it was presented to you was outrageous. However you are angry at the wrong entity. Just like the shops, art auctions and the hairdressing/nails, it is my understanding that the photography business aboard ship is not run by HAL. They are all private businesses that rent space on the ship.