Anytime Dining for solo cruiser seating choice: sit by yourself or with others

steve4031

How is this handled at dinner? Can I ask to be seated with others some nights and by myself others?

I like the camaraderie of eating with others, but as a solo I dont want to be in an awkward group for the entire cruise or disturb the dining room manager with multiple changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Normally when you check in for YTD they ask how many people and if it's just one they almost always ask if you want to dine alone or with people. I highly recommend dining with strangers, you meet the most fascinating people...

[YOUTUBE]28qnMjHDAHs[/YOUTUBE]

Sitting by myself thru a 90 minute meal would be rather boring so would ask to share table

90 minutes is a long time for a meal!!

If you're by yourself, you can get your food, eat, and get out in 30-45 minutes or however long it takes you then get out and go on with your evening. That's one of the reasons my family doesn't sit with anyone else. An hour is long enough for a dinner.

90 minutes is a long time for a meal!!

If you're by yourself, you can get your food, eat, and get out in 30-45 minutes or however long it takes you then get out and go on with your evening. That's one of the reasons my family doesn't sit with anyone else. An hour is long enough for a dinner.

So true. If I want to see a show then I dine alone and get out within 45 minutes.

Just hit the buffet and be done with it. Food is Kane's n Walker " K- n -W "quality anyways. Better than sitting with strangers that don't speak english and gore themselves with food ,all the while talking to you with their mouth full :D

Soo sorry that you guys think eating alone is boring:rolleyes:

I don't cruise alone but I do travel solo to lots of places around the world and I enjoy myself whether eating out alone or with other folks.

The same should be true on board the ship.

I think you will probably meet other singles and so might plan to meet up with folks you like at dinner to be seated together.

If not you can ask to be seated with others when you walk up to the podium or just ask for your own table if you are not in the mood to chat with strangers.

It is all up to you! I know you will have a great time!

Just hit the buffet and be done with it. Food is Kane's n Walker " K- n -W "quality anyways. Better than sitting with strangers that don't speak english and gore themselves with food ,all the while talking to you with their mouth full :D

Okey dokey, so you think the food is better at the buffet? I am fine with the quality of the food in the MDR, if you don't like what you ordered they will always bring you something else, and you can get a steakhouse entrée for an extra $20, worth it to me!

Hopefully nobody will "gore" themselves with food while I'm sitting next to them :cool:

Okey dokey, so you think the food is better at the buffet? I am fine with the quality of the food in the MDR, if you don't like what you ordered they will always bring you something else, and you can get a steakhouse entrée for an extra $20, worth it to me!

Hopefully nobody will "gore" themselves with food while I'm sitting next to them :cool:

Food is all around about the same, MDR , buffet. Same as K n W spuds . Certainly I hope your experiences have been better than mine :') The steak house is above par for sure. Some of those pay items in the past were included.

They'll ask if you if you want to dine alone or with others. If alone, it'll be at a table reserved for two. I would change it up if that's what you want, and some nights dine alone, and others with a group of people. Enjoy your cruise!!!

My very first extended vacation, my very first cruise, my very first B2B and my first 3 months winter retreat was solo. Driving from Minnesota to Florida as well let me just say.

DO IT!!!!

I was hesitant to eat alone but will not eat in my car, (she is my baby), and I don't enjoy fast food while driving 8+ hours a day. So I into walk into any place with my head held high and act like you own the place. I was so confident, I enjoyed my meals and met some interesting people along the way.

By the time I got on the ship, I had no reservations at all by eating with new people.

Solo cruising is amazing. You can do what ever you want when ever you want, I am a night owl, best time on any cruise ship is 6-7 am when the ship is like a ghost town, all the staff address you as Good morning, Ms ..... They must all talk about the "special people on board" lol meaning I must have been good meal conversation among staff. After the 7th day everyone knew who I was.

I felt so warm and welcomed. I hope you will too. Good luck and hold your head high.

Edited by PattBenatar
double word

How is this handled at dinner? Can I ask to be seated with others some nights and by myself others?

I like the camaraderie of eating with others, but as a solo I dont want to be in an awkward group for the entire cruise or disturb the dining room manager with multiple changes.

It's all up to you.

I appreciate the input and plan to do anytime dining. I'm sure I'll meet interesting people. I am an experienced Amtrak traveler and enjoy the community seating in the dining car.

I appreciate the input and plan to do anytime dining. I'm sure I'll meet interesting people. I am an experienced Amtrak traveler and enjoy the community seating in the dining car.

I'll go with your plan. Always nice to have the flexibility to choose how to be seated at dinner.

I'm a road warrior and for the past 40 years have eaten so many meals alone that it seems very natural to me. I find it very relaxing and usually take something to read at the table. I'm sure if I ever get to the point where I cruise alone, I'll probably mix it up and do solo some nights and with a group on others.