Selling Crafts Onboard?

LewesBeach

There was a discussion here on CC a couple of years ago where a member/members of a CC roll call group got called out and warned by ships officers for either selling tours or something?

Staff saw/heard the transaction and money changing hands.

Can't recall exactly. I am sure someone remembers this.

They are very strict onboard and can get you booted and or banned.

Grand Princess cruise around South America, January to March 2011. We were on the cruise and were at the CC meeting. I was glad that I hadn't organised any tours.:) Organisers were told by the Captain very firmly that they could be disembarked from the ship for running a business in competition with Princess.

Grand Princess cruise around South America, January to March 2011. We were on the cruise and were at the CC meeting. I was glad that I hadn't organised any tours.:) Organisers were told by the Captain very firmly that they could be disembarked from the ship for running a business in competition with Princess.

Thanks. That's the one. :)

Pretty sure this would the outcome for selling anything onboard by a passenger.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Thanks. That's the one. :)

Pretty sure this would the outcome for selling anything onboard by a passenger.

I remember a cruise when it was announced that the craft group would be selling items they had made, with all the proceeds going to charity. A table was set up in the atrium for an couple of hours for the sale. I think it was a good idea.

On most ships, you would see this in the crew areas a couple of times a week, as the crew sell/barter goods purchased ashore to those who couldn't get ashore, and services like barbers, hair stylists, seamstresses, etc.

I can see this ... the cruiselines are not realy in business to garner revenue from the crew. We once had a pair of nice leather sandals (nearly brand new) and asked if our room steward could use them. Although they were not his size, he stated he could trade them for something of value to him. We just couldn't fit them into our luggage ... he was more than happy to take them off our hands for us. I was a little surprised actually ... but as you stated, they will barter with items that were bought or given to them.

On a cruise we were on a few years ago a couple of women were sitting outside the Explorers Lounge for the first couple of days making those scarves that are crocheted round that were the rage then. They had a whole bunch draped over the backs of the chairs. They were selling them. It didn't take too long for them to be told to put their wares away as they were taking away revenue from the shops. I have to say, it made the hallway less elegant and kind of messy looking.

On most ships, you would see this in the crew areas a couple of times a week, as the crew sell/barter goods purchased ashore to those who couldn't get ashore, and services like barbers, hair stylists, seamstresses, etc.

And I would bet you would see much of the 'gifts' that some cruisers think they must give to their stewards. EM

From Princess' ticket contract:

11. RESPONSIBILITY TO COMPLY WITH LAW AND REGULATIONS, RULES OF SHIP; NO SOLICITATION.

You shall be responsible for complying with the requirements of all immigration, port, health, customs, and police authorities, and all other laws and regulations of each country or state from or to which You will travel, as well as this Passage Contract. You must at all times obey all the rules, regulations and orders of the ship, Carrier and the Captain. You shall not solicit other Guests for commercial purposes or advertise goods or services without Carrier's prior written permission. You may be disembarked without liability for refund, payment, compensation or credit of any kind if You or any Guest for whom You are responsible violate any of these requirements, and You agree to assume and/or reimburse Carrier for any expenses or fines that may be incurred as a result of such noncompliance.

Thanks for sharing. Good to know. In case I decide to sell some of my great ideas. :D

The Captain of the Rowboat,

Tony

I once saw a couple of ladies either knitting or crocheting scarves. They were sitting in chairs in the hallway across from the Explorers Lounge and had finished scarves draped across a chair. They must have been told of the policy as I did not see them again.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I saw them too. They were busy making those scarves on the front table at Crooners. When you walk up the stairs to deck 6 you could not miss them lol. They were selling it for $30,$35? I didn't buy. On the other cruise I saw one man crocheting hats sitting on a lounge chair on Lido deck. He was really talented making a hat in very short time. Lol.

On a HAL cruise someone actually had the guts to ask the Shop Manager if they could sell a book they wrote. Later in the week we saw her at a table in the shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OP here. Thanks for posting the official policy. On cruises with multiple (4-8) sea days, many people want to have something familiar and relaxing to pass time. Crafting is no different than other hobbies people engage in on sea days - like playing cards/mahjong, reading, or gambling. As I said, I would never consider selling anything on board and do think its very tacky. Now that I have the official policy, I can say no to sales without being rude. Thanks again for all your input!

Berni

OP here. Thanks for posting the official policy. On cruises with multiple (4-8) sea days, many people want to have something familiar and relaxing to pass time. Crafting is no different than other hobbies people engage in on sea days - like playing cards/mahjong, reading, or gambling. As I said, I would never consider selling anything on board and do think its very tacky. Now that I have the official policy, I can say no to sales without being rude. Thanks again for all your input!

Berni

Every cruise we've been on has had a meeting for crafters on every sea day. On our Hawaiian cruise on the Star in March it was in Skywalkers. In that setting if someone is making an item that another member if that group wants to buy, that wouldn't bother me. It would be a one on one private exchange.

Also, what goes on in crews' quarters is none of my concern.

However, setting up a booth or draping things over chairs is very tacky, and I'm glad that Princess has a firm policy on it.

I've never seen or experienced this on any ship I've been on. No disrespect to anyone, but I think that passengers selling crafts onboard is just a tad tacky. Can't imagine why anyone would want to be involved in this. Just my opinion, please don't flame me.

Totally agree...what happened to simple generosity. But as someone else mentioned if it is a one to one deal, then it's really done of my business. And some are generous but others insist on giving something.

Unfortunately this reminds me of people selling their freebee coffee cards which I find, really, really tacky. Thank goodness I haven't seen it for a while on the roll calls, but I still think it happens on-line.

What happened to just giving something to some one....just sayin'

BTW on one river cruise a Christmas market .. a group of "miniature" craters, sold products to each other..we went from cabin to cabin to see miniature displays, it fact many were on the cruise to buy more miniatures at each port. But this was arranged prior through the cruise line, however those of us not involved knew nothing until we boarded. It was very interesting to see.

Edited by land lover

Unfortunately this reminds me of people selling their freebee coffee cards which I find, really, really tacky. Thank goodness I haven't seen it for a while on the roll calls, but I still think it happens on-line.

That's totally different since they were issued by Princess and since they weren't used the owners have every right to do anything they want with them.

If they were printing them in mass at home & then selling them that would be totally different.

Oh btw- they're not freebees.

That's totally different since they were issued by Princess and since they weren't used the owners have every right to do anything they want with them.

If they were printing them in mass at home & then selling them that would be totally different.

Oh btw- they're not freebees.

Give it a rest......