Families of 5

It's so hard to cruise with 5 . My 3 kids are all under six years old. No regular rooms accommodate 5 unless u get a suite which I can't afford. I can get 2 connecting rooms but that gets expensive too. Any other possibilities?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It's so hard to cruise with 5 . My 3 kids are all under six years old. No regular rooms accommodate 5 unless u get a suite which I can't afford. I can get 2 connecting rooms but that gets expensive too. Any other possibilities?

There are family staterooms that accommodate 5. You need to call RC to book them as they do not show on line. There are not many, but they are available. They are not suites.

There are some staterooms that can accommodate 5, but you have to call Royal directly, you can't book them online. We did it on Oasis and it had a King Bed, a couch that turned into a double bed, and a pullman that came out of the ceiling. It was a bit cramped, but way less expensive, and worth it, than booking a suite or connecting rooms.

I don't know it this option exists on all ships, but it definitely exists on Oasis. Here is the number from their website when you attempt to put 2 adults and 3 kids in one room:

Need more than 4 guests? Please call us at (866) 562-7625

Like everyone has said you have three options... a suite, a family stateroom (if available, you'll have to call) or two connecting rooms. With young children I think the family stateroom is a great option if the suite is out of budget. For older children (we have 1 teen, 1 preteen and 1 older elementary age) two staterooms is the way to go. 2 bathrooms with a teen daughter is a must have for us. ;)

There are some staterooms that can accommodate 5, but you have to call Royal directly, you can't book them online. We did it on Oasis and it had a King Bed, a couch that turned into a double bed, and a pullman that came out of the ceiling. It was a bit cramped, but way less expensive, and worth it, than booking a suite or connecting rooms.

I don't know it this option exists on all ships, but it definitely exists on Oasis. Here is the number from their website when you attempt to put 2 adults and 3 kids in one room:

Need more than 4 guests? Please call us at

(866) 562-7625

This option is available on Oasis and Allure. These are reugular balcony cabins (not family cabins or suites) that are designed to sleep 5. As you mentioned there is a sofa bed and a Pullman. Very easy to see which cabins they are on the deckplans but you must call to book them.

We stayed in one of these on Allure last January (Boardwalk balcony 12709). We only had 3 in the cabin though so it was not nearly as crowded as it would have been if there was 5.

The symbol in the deckplans is a solid diamond.

This option is available on Oasis and Allure. These are reugular balcony cabins (not family cabins or suites) that are designed to sleep 5. As you mentioned there is a sofa bed and a Pullman. Very easy to see which cabins they are on the deckplans but you must call to book them.

We stayed in one of these on Allure last January (Boardwalk balcony 12709). We only had 3 in the cabin though so it was not nearly as crowded as it would have been if there was 5.

The symbol in the deckplans is a solid diamond.

We have an Ultra Spacious Oceanview booked on Radiance, it sleeps 6 and is not a suite. It has the king (or two twins) a double sofa bed and the pullman beds in a little curtained alcove. We will only have 4 in that cabin, but it looks to be enough room to sleep 5 or 6 semi comfortably, especially if the kids were young.

I have 3 kids. When they were younger, 9, 6, 2, wife and I took Grandma and Grandpa with us. They had a room with one my kids assigned, we had other 2 assigned in my room. But we actually all 5, me, wife + 3 kids slept in our room. Plus was nice have extra adults so me and wife could venture out as times...

When we sailed Carnival, there were a couple of families of 5 who told us that the ONLY reason they sailed Carnival was because Carnival has cabins for 5 people and at the time none of the other cruise lines could accommodate them. They couldn't wait until their kids were old enough to be in a cabin alone so they could cruise other lines. Guess it is a common problem for families.

Which ships are you considering and are you looking for a 3-5 day cruise or a 7 day or longer cruise? We did an extended family cruise on a 4 night Enchantment of the Seas cruise and my daughter and her 4 kids (ages 10-16) stayed in outside Family Stateroom # 8012. Originally, she had booked two adjacent inside cabins but then called Royal Caribbean and was able to switch to this family stateroom for a reasonable increase in price. The room was huge and had a sofa and two chairs; a double bed with a privacy curtain; a bunk room with two lower twins and two pullman beds above; two bathrooms (one with a shower and one with a bathtub) and lots of closet and storage space. Here's a link to a you tube video of the cabin so you can check out how large it is:

RC Freedom of the seas has Oceanview rooms for up to 6 at the very front of the ship, decks 7-8-9 (I'm not sure of the decks) right under the bridge. They have unusual configurations and some have 2 bedroom areas.

You must call Royal to book these.

My daughter and her husband have 3 children ages 10, 5, and 6. They always get a family suite. When you book a cruise where kids sail free it is really reasonable. Much cheaper than 2 adjoining cabin and far more room. One of the family suites had lots more storage and room than our junior suite. There are a few 2 bedroom suites that have really worked well for her. The key is to book when they run "Kids sail free" sales.

Maybe you shouldn't have had so many kids? Just kidding, I have 3 and we ran into that all the time with hotels even. We'd be happy to allow 2 in a bed and another in a roll away but they wouldn't allow it. Have a great trip no matter how you work it out.

When we sailed Carnival, there were a couple of families of 5 who told us that the ONLY reason they sailed Carnival was because Carnival has cabins for 5 people and at the time none of the other cruise lines could accommodate them. They couldn't wait until their kids were old enough to be in a cabin alone so they could cruise other lines. Guess it is a common problem for families.

Interesting story about your friends. Royal Caribbean allows kids to be in their own room as long as it is directly across the hall or adjacent. It is not required to be connecting.

We once stayed in an outside view family stateroom on the Enchantment that could sleep 8. It was right next to the bridge. I told my kids that if they didn't behave, I was having the captain come out and tell them that he would turn the ship around! Honestly this room was huge, really long. My boys could play with their matchbox cars across the floor.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

On Voyager and Freedom class ships, there are a few balcony cabins that connect to an inside cabin...they are the last side cabins in the aft section of the ship. That could be cost effective....kids get the inside, and parents get the balcony. You probably have to book well in advance to grab that configuration.

We once stayed in an outside view family stateroom on the Enchantment that could sleep 8. It was right next to the bridge. I told my kids that if they didn't behave, I was having the captain come out and tell them that he would turn the ship around! Honestly this room was huge, really long. My boys could play with their matchbox cars across the floor.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

I believe that this is family stateroom 8012 that I mentioned in post 15