Windjammer closes early?

babs135

Why would you be surprised???? It's been that way for years and you have sailed Royal before????.....:rolleyes:

Why are you always so rude? It doesn't matter WHY the OP is surprised about WJ closing early, she just didn't know, hence why she asked the question.

These boards are for people looking for information about cruises. They're not so they can be berated for asking a question, although that certainly seems to happen a lot. I'm surprised your :rolleyes: key isn't broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Or teenagers who like to eat all the time, or people from the west coast who aren't hungry at the main dinner time and are ready for a bigger meal a little later, or college students who regularly enjoy eating at all hours, or people who go to late shows/karaoke/movie at the pool/etc. and are hungry before heading back to the room, or people who had a late lunch while in port and weren't hungry at "normal" dinner times but are hungry at midnight, or people who work the midnight shift regularly and midnight is their normal dinner time...

Really I could go on and on, but of course since you don't want to eat that late obviously there are no valid reasons for people to think differently than you.

On most ships there is food available until 1:00 am (and room service ($) 24 hours a day)....just not a buffet. So the fact that people get hungry at various times still doesn't justify later hours for the buffet. We actually would like both WJ and MDR to open earlier for breakfast as we are very early risers at home....but we realize that is not realistic. They have to select times for all meals/food service that works for the majority of the pax desire/excursion timing, etc. and with the staff they have onboard.

the round objects in trays under the lights are NOT classified as real edible material. I don't care if it was the only thing open board, I'd buy a stale overpriced jar pf pringles in the shops first.

But this is what you said : "the WJ never serves anything vaguely resembling burgers at any point during the day. the room service burger is the best burger on the ship. the Cafe Promenade options are more than enough to satisfy most people late night." I was merely pointing out there WERE hamburgers available.

my rebuttal is simple: why do you feel the need to have unlimited options that YOU FAVOR available 24/7? for the price we are paying, that's just unreasonable. its a port day. people are in port. grab something on the way back if you want to eat and don't like the on board offerings at x time frame.

I don't think it's unreasonable to have lunch available at 1:45- obviously you do. I never said anything about what "I FAVOR"- I heard many people throughout the cruise complaining about there not being enough free food options available. We had to be back on board at 1:30 (if I remember correctly ) in San Juan- it was not, imho, unreasonable to expect something other than pizza to eat at that time. On Allure and Oasis I recall the Solarium Bistro to be open longer and there was also the Wipe Out Cafe.

Celebrity ships also have their buffet open in the evening after dinner hours. Pizza, pasta, sandwiches, ice cream and desserts are available in the evenings.

DH and I always like an evening snack. Cafe Promenade has always satisfied our snacking need. We do early dinner, so something light is nice. We may do room service one Time per cruise.

When I sailed Quantum from Bayonne, they had one WJ station open all night long. It was nice and something I'd been long wanting. However, our group was the only people we saw in there the whole week, other than a few crew members. While it was a very quiet sailing, it did seem like a waste of food and because so few people were taking advantage, the quality was worse than the usual sub-par quality from WJ.

The crew needs those hours of having to worry about 'full service' options to conduct training, get some downtime and generally prep for the next major meal. There is food available. Just because it is not the type, amount and service you prefer does not mean the cruise ships are scrimping or being lazy. I'd rather have to hunt for something thing to tide me over rather than pay for thousands of pounds of wasted food.

The two Carnival cruises I had offered a sushi cart early to mid afternoon. It was perfect. Filled the gap between lunch and dinner and did not result in huge personnel requirements. celebrity had a decent pool grill that offered grilled sandwiches and the best cooked to order fries I have ever had. Yes better than 5 guys or InnOut,.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Lots of interesting comments. We've sailed with a number of different lines and found Cunard and NCL still had hot and cold food available late in an evening (after 11 o'clock). Only a small section of the buffet is open but there always seemed to be plenty of people eating full meals. On Cunard you might often see crew members eating in the buffet.

I understand the cost of wastage and it must be huge but it would equally be nice to have the option of food in the buffet if you want it.

the round objects in trays under the lights are NOT classified as real edible material. I don't care if it was the only thing open board, I'd buy a stale overpriced jar pf pringles in the shops first.

my rebuttal is simple: why do you feel the need to have unlimited options that YOU FAVOR available 24/7? for the price we are paying, that's just unreasonable. its a port day. people are in port. grab something on the way back if you want to eat and don't like the on board offerings at x time frame.

Maybe I missed it but who here has been pushing for unlimited options 24/7? The main thrust is we would like to see the Windjammer stay open a bit later. That doesn't seem so unreasonable. But I guess you have to exaggerate what people are looking for in order to make your points look more valid. Very much the same way you need to exaggerate the description of the Windjammer hamburgers.

You, however, seem to know what satisfies the majority of passengers. You know what the crew's other obligations to the ship are. That afternoon sushi cart on Carnival that suited you so well should suit everyone else too. Maybe you should just enjoy that stale overpriced jar of Pringles while accepting that there are people who are simply voicing what changes they would like to see and be happy that the working of the ships are already perfect for you.

What about someone who is diabetic and needs to eat throughout the day/night with at least a small snack to maintain their proper insulin level? Without something to balance the insulin they could crash and go into a diabetic coma/shock. Not talking about a full meal but a snack and some fruit.

On other lines when the ship is in port, buffet hours are normally extended so those returning from excursions can still have lunch instead of depending on snacks.

Does not seem unreasonable to have longer hours or some other option available once buffet closes down.

MARAPRINCE

What about someone who is diabetic and needs to eat throughout the day/night with at least a small snack to maintain their proper insulin level? Without something to balance the insulin they could crash and go into a diabetic coma/shock. Not talking about a full meal but a snack and some fruit.

On other lines when the ship is in port, buffet hours are normally extended so those returning from excursions can still have lunch instead of depending on snacks.

Does not seem unreasonable to have longer hours or some other option available once buffet closes down.

MARAPRINCE

Well if someone who needs this would stock up before the WJ is closed. You can't think RCCL would keep the whole WJ open for the few who needs this. It's called personal responsibility. If you need it , figure out a way to be prepared.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Well if someone who needs this would stock up before the WJ is closed. You can't think RCCL would keep the whole WJ open for the few who needs this. It's called personal responsibility. If you need it , figure out a way to be prepared.

Stock up and keep where? How do you "stock up" for lunch when lunch closes before 2pm on a port day?

On the MSC, Carnival, Holland America, Princess, NCL, Cunard ships that have buffet open late it is usually for a couple of hours at night and a section or two; not the entire buffet. More like 20% of it, but they tend to get busy.

I've said for years RCI could or should do this and many feel the same way. What I absolutely do not understand is the vehemently nasty responses putting people down. Is this necessary or, in a sick way, fun for people?!? Just say you wouldn't make use of it, or even better, bypass the thread. I wish the WJ would reopen from 10 - Midnight; a small section of it with fresh prepared foods. It's a cruise, it is to indulge. Look at how much people drink, gamble, sit in the sun, etc., It is a hedonistic pleasure and so is eating. On the big ships you have Cafe Promenade where quality has decreased for years. Go on Princess and sample their International Cafe and CP on Royal is a bad cutrate joke. On RCI's small ships you might find a pizza and hot dog station. It's not a big ask for a corner of the buffet to be open...or at least not close at 845pm; that's a bit early. And remember, RCI is one of the few cruise lines without a pool side grill open during the day, so to close early at lunch time is kind of a shame. They used to have a mid-afternoon setup from like 3 to 5, but that only happens on select ships now.

Here is an idea; I don't drink much alcohol. They should eliminate unlimited packages and raise price of drinks. Why should my cruise fare offset discounts on drinks? People order drinks they may not like and discard them because it's on a package. This wastage gets paid for by the rest of us. Let those people who much drink unlimited alcohol take some personal responsibility to pay for it fully...

See what a stupid argument that is?

Edited by LMaxwell

Stock up and keep where? How do you "stock up" for lunch when lunch closes before 2pm on a port day?

On the MSC, Carnival, Holland America, Princess, NCL, Cunard ships that have buffet open late it is usually for a couple of hours at night and a section or two; not the entire buffet. More like 20% of it, but they tend to get busy.

I've said for years RCI could or should do this and many feel the same way. What I absolutely do not understand is the vehemently nasty responses putting people down. Is this necessary or, in a sick way, fun for people?!? Just say you wouldn't make use of it, or even better, bypass the thread. I wish the WJ would reopen from 10 - Midnight; a small section of it with fresh prepared foods. It's a cruise, it is to indulge. Look at how much people drink, gamble, sit in the sun, etc., It is a hedonistic pleasure and so is eating. On the big ships you have Cafe Promenade where quality has decreased for years. Go on Princess and sample their International Cafe and CP on Royal is a bad cutrate joke. On RCI's small ships you might find a pizza and hot dog station. It's not a big ask for a corner of the buffet to be open...or at least not close at 845pm; that's a bit early. And remember, RCI is one of the few cruise lines without a pool side grill open during the day, so to close early at lunch time is kind of a shame. They used to have a mid-afternoon setup from like 3 to 5, but that only happens on select ships now.

Here is an idea; I don't drink much alcohol. They should eliminate unlimited packages and raise price of drinks. Why should my cruise fare offset discounts on drinks? People order drinks they may not like and discard them because it's on a package. This wastage gets paid for by the rest of us. Let those people who much drink unlimited alcohol take some personal responsibility to pay for it fully...

See what a stupid argument that is?

It's called a refrigerator. Anthem has them in every room. Don't understand why the fuss of the WJ closing at 9pm. If it's so bad just try out another cruisline. Remember going to the midnight special on Splendor with hardly anyone using. Could be I never had dinner at the WJ. Figured the MDR much better place to have dinner. Rather get great service in MDR, than fight for that last chicken wing......

It's called a refrigerator. Anthem has them in every room. Don't understand why the fuss of the WJ closing at 9pm. If it's so bad just try out another cruisline. Remember going to the midnight special on Splendor with hardly anyone using. Could be I never had dinner at the WJ. Figured the MDR much better place to have dinner. Rather get great service in MDR, than fight for that last chicken wing......

If a change at the WJ doesn't impact you, why are you so loudly complaining about those asking for more options? You've got to realize your tone comes off as putting down everyone asking for increased hours in the WJ. It's really not necessary. Be civil.

If a change at the WJ doesn't impact you, why are you so loudly complaining about those asking for more options? You've got to realize your tone comes off as putting down everyone asking for increased hours in the WJ. It's really not necessary. Be civil.

When the tone went from inconvenience to health is when the discussion went off the rails. As knowing many type 1 diabetic suffers. They know how to be prepared. I have type 2 and one of the reasons to avoid the WJ is able to sit and enjoy my meals and not over indulge. Going on a NCL cruise and 1st thing I was told is food is available 27/7. Oh boy........

When the tone went from inconvenience to health is when the discussion went off the rails. As knowing many type 1 diabetic suffers. They know how to be prepared. I have type 2 and one of the reasons to avoid the WJ is able to sit and enjoy my meals and not over indulge. Going on a NCL cruise and 1st thing I was told is food is available 27/7. Oh boy........

If you're up around 11PM one night, go check out the buffet and you'll see what I mean. Just a section of it open, but fresh made food. You don't have to eat it if you don't want, but it will give a clear indication of what people here are asking for. You may actually find it to be pretty nice and a reasonable ask. For me it has nothing to do with health issues, I just like a late night snack and the buffet is convenient for that in way that doesn't exist on RCI. It's not a reason to switch cruise lines, but it's a perfectly reasonable position to ask the company to match what competitors do and is enjoyable for those who choose that option.

If you're up around 11PM one night, go check out the buffet and you'll see what I mean. Just a section of it open, but fresh made food. You don't have to eat it if you don't want, but it will give a clear indication of what people here are asking for. You may actually find it to be pretty nice and a reasonable ask. For me it has nothing to do with health issues, I just like a late night snack and the buffet is convenient for that in way that doesn't exist on RCI. It's not a reason to switch cruise lines, but it's a perfectly reasonable position to ask the company to match what competitors do and is enjoyable for those who choose that option.

Will check it out. Lol, usually up till 1230,1am. Loved the piano bar on Anthem. Was one of the last venues open. Had a great player who was good at engaging the croud.

Celebrity ships also have their buffet open in the evening after dinner hours. Pizza, pasta, sandwiches, ice cream and desserts are available in the evenings.

DH and I always like an evening snack. Cafe Promenade has always satisfied our snacking need. We do early dinner, so something light is nice. We may do room service one Time per cruise.

HOMEMADE ice cream

Cinnamon.

I can taste it now. ;p

Here's a scenario. You haven't felt well all day, perhaps seasick, bad headache or just 'generally off'. You've had nothing to eat and been stuck in the cabin all day. At 9.05 pm you begin to feel better, you're hungry and you want to get out of the cabin.- the Windjammer is closed :eek:

I assume there are fee paying restaurants still open (long time since I've sailed RCI so don't know set up) but although you are hungry you only want a snack type meal, nothing too much, too rich or too heavy - what do you do?

Here's a scenario. You haven't felt well all day, perhaps seasick, bad headache or just 'generally off'. You've had nothing to eat and been stuck in the cabin all day. At 9.05 pm you begin to feel better, you're hungry and you want to get out of the cabin.- the Windjammer is closed :eek:

I assume there are fee paying restaurants still open (long time since I've sailed RCI so don't know set up) but although you are hungry you only want a snack type meal, nothing too much, too rich or too heavy - what do you do?

Depends on the ship. Cafe Promenade, Park Cafe (those on non-Oasis class ships), and Sorrento's are usually open at 9:05pm.

There is also room service on all ships for an $8 fee per order.

MDR is open till 10 on Anthem. Plus 24 hour pizza,snacks and coffee. You won't go hungry.

MDR is open till 10 on Anthem. Plus 24 hour pizza,snacks and coffee. You won't go hungry.

And you can get take out from the MDR. Once, we were doing something that made us miss our dinner, and by the time we could eat- it was pretty past whey they would have wanted to seat us. So we asked for some stuff on a plate, and they were happy to give it to us to take back to our cabin.

The one thing I constantly wonder- why is it that people want the ships to waste so much food? I very much remember the large amount of uneaten food from the midnight buffet. And I suspect that a large majority of the freshly prepared food between 10-whenever will just go to waste- all of it has a finite shelf time, and to keep some kind of hot, fresh, food- they will constantly be rotating new stuff in to replace the old, partially eaten stuff.

Some seem to have some kind of fascination with making people waste food, just for their entertainment. I just don't get that.

I get that there are other reasons someone needs some kind of food after 10pm. The chronic will know exactly what do to, as they've lived with it. The new sick ones- that's a tough call. But it's not as if you have zero options- just that you have to pay for a late night delivery- which has been true for many, many years.

And if there's a Cafe Promenade- there's always food there. If you want a hamburger at 1am, there are few options at home, too.

Put me in the camp of those that think the buffet should be open for longer hours. There have been plenty of times when I have wanted a little snack later in the day and perhaps the options other than the Windjammer will be sufficient, but I like buffets and am sorry to hear that Royal Caribbean limits the time theirs are open.

As to those posts that blame the passengers for wanting something on the cruise that the posters think is not necessary, different people enjoy different things; that you do not care about the same thing does not make them wrong or unreasonable and I will echo that the buffets on ships I have been on do considerable business late at night. In terms of unreasonable expectations considering the (relatively) low fares on RCCL, a lot of cruise lines with comparable fares manage to offer longer hours for buffets.

I don't miss the end of the elaborate Midnight Buffets or even 24/7 buffets, but closing at 9:00 or 9:30 is too early in my opinion.