Windjammer closes early?

babs135

What else would most people want after 9:00'pm?

Try MSC or NCL and see. Both buffets were pretty busy at 11pm and there were fresh salads and hot food being prepared. If you have an early dinner and go out after for drinks or dancing you may want more than a cookie

On the Oasis last week the WJ dinner hours ended at 8:45. The times I went there for dinner were always between 8:15 and 8:30 and I found it fairly busy in that time frame, especially the last night when lots of people were still coming in close to the nominal closing time. Personally, I would have preferred that it stayed open until 9 as most WJs used to.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

the WJ never serves anything vaguely resembling burgers at any point during the day. the room service burger is the best burger on the ship. the Cafe Promenade options are more than enough to satisfy most people late night.

You took a survey? Then RCI should save even more money and get rid of room service since MOST people are perfectly happy with what is available in the Cafe Promenade. And what is available in there has been on a steady decline over the past few years... in my opinion.

I think it would be great if the Windjammer were open later especially on port days. Many times after enjoying sail-a-way and then getting cleaned up and showering there isn't that much time left to catch dinner in there without feeling rushed.

That is the case on every ship in the fleet and has been as long as I can remember! There is usually at least one food venue that will be open until 1:00 am or so. If you need something after 1:00 am then room service is available (for a service fee).

Agree

On the Quantum inaugural out of Bayonne, the Windjammer was advertised as being open 24 hrs. I visited it after midnight a few times and apart from the access to coffee and the fountain drinks, the only other food was a few very dried-out-looking trays of pizza and one hot dish that contained meat (which I don't eat) so I didn't pay much attention to what "dish" it was. I can't remember if that was the case as well on the Anthem inaugural out of Bayonne. I never saw anyone else in there which is probably why it was stopped.

the WJ never serves anything vaguely resembling burgers at any point during the day. the room service burger is the best burger on the ship. the Cafe Promenade options are more than enough to satisfy most people late night.

This simply isn't true. Was on the Anthem last week and WJ did have burgers and all the fixings every day. It's true, if you wanted something to eat later at night (for whatever reason, what's with all the judging??) you were limited. WJ also closed at 3 and didn't reopen until 5? Promenade had very limited options, cafe 270 was ok in the afternoon, disappointed that the solarium bistro didn't open until 9:30-1:30 for "brunch". When you're busy on a port day it's nice to have more options.

WJ closing time is by far my biggest complaint about RCCL, and we vocalize it loudly every time we take a post cruise survey. Doubt it will ever change, and maybe at some point we'll try MSC or NCL; if they can provide as good a time as RCCL for comparable price and with a late buffet, we'll probably switch, but for now we're fine with RCCL. Just swing by WJ around 8:30 and grab a bunch of plates to take back to the room. Unfortunately it doesn't stay warm, but it's better than being stuck getting the same pizza or snacks every single night.

I get that not everybody likes to eat late, but I am a bit surprised at all the assumptions and judging. Different people have different preferences

This simply isn't true. Was on the Anthem last week and WJ did have burgers and all the fixings every day. It's true, if you wanted something to eat later at night (for whatever reason, what's with all the judging??) you were limited. WJ also closed at 3 and didn't reopen until 5? Promenade had very limited options, cafe 270 was ok in the afternoon, disappointed that the solarium bistro didn't open until 9:30-1:30 for "brunch". When you're busy on a port day it's nice to have more options.

Have you ever tried these so called 'burgers?' I was on Anthem a few weeks ago and the hamburgers at WJ were not fit for human consumption. I wouldn't even dare feed the meat to a dog, it was that bad!

Have you ever tried these so called 'burgers?' I was on Anthem a few weeks ago and the hamburgers at WJ were not fit for human consumption. I wouldn't even dare feed the meat to a dog, it was that bad!

I get the burgers at WJ every cruise, sometimes every day of the cruise. A few times they've been overcooked, but never inedible. Now the bacon, that becomes inedible. Usually the first day or two it's fine, but then they start to cook it until it's super crisp.

I get the burgers at WJ every cruise, sometimes every day of the cruise. A few times they've been overcooked, but never inedible. Now the bacon, that becomes inedible. Usually the first day or two it's fine, but then they start to cook it until it's super crisp.

The crispier the bacon, the better it tastes!

Time it right in WindJammer at Breakfast/Lunch change over while serving both you can get fresh burger with bacon....

Edited by ONECRUISER

WindJammer is actually open longer hrs now then yrs ago. At one time was only open 2 hrs for lunch & 3 for dinner, but had afternoon tea time & finger sandwichs at 3pm. that was 1980's. Then 1990's Vision class came out and you had all nite pizza, hot dogs & fries in the Solarium. But both era's had midnite buffets every nite. So much food wastage back then. 2000's ended that when they'd bring around plates of snacks around the ship to you. But now it's usually one place get snacks late or pay for room service which is actually best it's been in yrs though they don't bring Main Dining room meals to you like back then. My kids, young adults now have seen it all and would agree with most you that they wish more choices late nite and/or extended WJ hrs. I'm in my 50's usually travel alone, if not I'm watching Grand Kids while my kids go out at nite. So I eat dinner when doors open to WindJammer at 5:30, always first in, catch the early show in bed at 11, up at 6am. So WJ hrs doesn't effect me as much...

Try MSC or NCL and see. Both buffets were pretty busy at 11pm and there were fresh salads and hot food being prepared. If you have an early dinner and go out after for drinks or dancing you may want more than a cookie

I haven't sailed on either of those lines, but I have gone to the buffet on Princess in the late hours, and there were plenty of people there. And food. ;)

Now closes 845pm on some ships. Cost cutting

I was amazed on Jewel in 2014 when we pulled into Barbados at 8am, I thought I'd get breakfast before heading a shore. It didn't open till after we got in port!

Mostly the only ones wanting to pig out at the WJ at midnight are the ones who have been slamming their Deluxe Beverage Package all day long.

Or teenagers who like to eat all the time, or people from the west coast who aren't hungry at the main dinner time and are ready for a bigger meal a little later, or college students who regularly enjoy eating at all hours, or people who go to late shows/karaoke/movie at the pool/etc. and are hungry before heading back to the room, or people who had a late lunch while in port and weren't hungry at "normal" dinner times but are hungry at midnight, or people who work the midnight shift regularly and midnight is their normal dinner time...

Really I could go on and on, but of course since you don't want to eat that late obviously there are no valid reasons for people to think differently than you.

Or teenagers who like to eat all the time, or people from the west coast who aren't hungry at the main dinner time and are ready for a bigger meal a little later, or college students who regularly enjoy eating at all hours, or people who go to late shows/karaoke/movie at the pool/etc. and are hungry before heading back to the room, or people who had a late lunch while in port and weren't hungry at "normal" dinner times but are hungry at midnight, or people who work the midnight shift regularly and midnight is their normal dinner time...

Really I could go on and on, but of course since you don't want to eat that late obviously there are no valid reasons for people to think differently than you.

You seem agitated. Haven't had your fourth drink yet today?

On the Quantum inaugural out of Bayonne, the Windjammer was advertised as being open 24 hrs. I visited it after midnight a few times and apart from the access to coffee and the fountain drinks, the only other food was a few very dried-out-looking trays of pizza and one hot dish that contained meat (which I don't eat) so I didn't pay much attention to what "dish" it was. I can't remember if that was the case as well on the Anthem inaugural out of Bayonne. I never saw anyone else in there which is probably why it was stopped.

Maybe THAT is why you never saw anyone else in there.

I have had burgers in various Windjammers plenty of times and they taste plenty fine.

the round objects in trays under the lights are NOT classified as real edible material. I don't care if it was the only thing open board, I'd buy a stale overpriced jar pf pringles in the shops first.

my rebuttal is simple: why do you feel the need to have unlimited options that YOU FAVOR available 24/7? for the price we are paying, that's just unreasonable. its a port day. people are in port. grab something on the way back if you want to eat and don't like the on board offerings at x time frame.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I don't want a hotdog or burger that's been sitting around in a warmer for a couple hours.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The 24 hour pizza on Anthem is not bad. Love to send my wife and watch on the CCTV. One time was funny to see a guy trying to chat her up. We're night owls so glad Not to find the WJ open late,lol. 59 days out to 1st NCL cruise. Heard all the stories about the midnight food, OH BOY......

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app