Windjammer closes early?

babs135

DD has just returned from a cruise on the Anthem. She had a great time but was surprised to find that the Windjammer closed at 9 pm. Seems a bit odd to me. I understand there were a couple of other eateries open but why not the general buffet, even if it's only a limited menu?

I would love WJ to be open later than 9pm as well....for me and DH it wouldn't be to have a big late night meal but for a later in the evening snack....yes other venues are open around the ship, but none of them have fruit salad avialable (just a suggestion) and that would be nice.

Have you ever tried these so called 'burgers?' I was on Anthem a few weeks ago and the hamburgers at WJ were not fit for human consumption. I wouldn't even dare feed the meat to a dog, it was that bad!

Was just on Grandeur, burgers were OK, not great, but not bad.

Better than most burgers outside the US.

Here is an idea; I don't drink much alcohol. They should eliminate unlimited packages and raise price of drinks. Why should my cruise fare offset discounts on drinks? People order drinks they may not like and discard them because it's on a package. This wastage gets paid for by the rest of us. Let those people who much drink unlimited alcohol take some personal responsibility to pay for it fully..

You have it backwards. The people drinking are LOWERING your cruise fare. Even with the packages.

And the package pricing takes into account the wastage. Alcohol is a MAJOR profit center for cruise ships.

I agree a full buffet makes no sense.

But how about sandwiches to order. Maybe a bar with cold cuts and hamburgers and hot dogs. They could partially cook the hot dogs and hamburgers, then toss on a grill for a final cook/heat up. Have some desserts and things like chips.

1 or 2 staff to be there. So low cost. Low waste if the things are covered and keep cool.

Handles late night eaters, but without much cost or hassle.

Not sure what time they closed the door, but the one time we were there late on Anthem, a head waiter visited each table near closing time to ask if we were enjoying the meal and to advise that if we wished to make any additional selections, to do so promptly, as they were preparing to close the lines. We did see a few people wanting to come in as we were leaving. They were turned away, of course, as it was well past closing by then.

On most of our recent RCI cruises, the WJ has closed at 8:30. If one has late seating but prefers to go to the buffet, that means not being able to go to the show that's geared to the late seating crowd, or leaving it early. They didn't close the doors, but the custom food stations shut down and the other trays weren't refilled as they emptied. I think 9:00 is reasonable for "in the door," leave all of the food stations open until then, maybe the desserts a little longer.

On our cruise in 2016 I was 3 months out from stomach surgery. I was very limited on what I could eat. The first night we ate @ WJ we got there around 8. We were shocked to see one whole side closed down. We were still able to find plenty of food. We up there for dinner a couple more times. Just made sure we went a little earlier. And usually took some fruit back to the room.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If NCL can make it work and still (I presume) turn a profit ...

NCL cruise prices are higher then they were 20-25 yrs ago. Royal cruises are cheaper then 25+ yrs ago. Royal cut back, prices are lower. In 1988 I paid $3400+ for 2 people on a 7 day cruise on Sovereign, this a deck 2 tiny port hole window. Same ship, cabin & 7 nite cruise in 1996 was $1800. As the every night midnight buffets, afternoon tea and free soda pop ended, prices went down. And unless you were there you wouldn't believe food they threw away EVERY NITE!... My 1st cruise on NCL was same type cabin in 1990's and was less then $700, of course more food options and now higher... Hard to make everyone happy and cruising has changed...

NCL cruise prices are higher then they were 20-25 yrs ago. Royal cruises are cheaper then 25+ yrs ago. Royal cut back, prices are lower. In 1988 I paid $3400+ for 2 people on a 7 day cruise on Sovereign, this a deck 2 tiny port hole window. Same ship, cabin & 7 nite cruise in 1996 was $1800. As the every night midnight buffets, afternoon tea and free soda pop ended, prices went down. And unless you were there you wouldn't believe food they threw away EVERY NITE!... My 1st cruise on NCL was same type cabin in 1990's and was less then $700, of course more food options and now higher... Hard to make everyone happy and cruising has changed...

From a single cruiser's perspective, I'm paying more in base cruise fare for an interior stateroom on Oasis than I would pay for the same 7-day Western on the NCL Getaway or Escape (newer ships) in a studio.

(It's a bit of a wash, because on NCL I would pay much more for internet, and another $200 for a week thermal suite pass (no equivalent product on RC.) )

I get what you're saying, I'm just a new (in a few weeks) RC cruiser and was surprised to find that the Oasis, which is such a popular ship with families, seems to have such limited dining hours.

I have the best idea of all..... If you are in the least dissatisfied with anything on your cruise at all any time any where you should stop cruising and take land vacations where something (even if it is the local 7/11 or equivalent) is always open for food. And the same should rule for bar prices and shows and gambling, etc.

I have the best idea of all..... If you are in the least dissatisfied with anything on your cruise at all any time any where you should stop cruising and take land vacations where something (even if it is the local 7/11 or equivalent) is always open for food. And the same should rule for bar prices and shows and gambling, etc.

That escalated quickly.

I would love WJ to be open later than 9pm as well....for me and DH it wouldn't be to have a big late night meal but for a later in the evening snack....yes other venues are open around the ship, but none of them have fruit salad avialable (just a suggestion) and that would be nice.

There were little fresh fruit cups in the cafe when I was on Anthem.

It's called a refrigerator. Anthem has them in every room. Don't understand why the fuss of the WJ closing at 9pm. If it's so bad just try out another cruisline. Remember going to the midnight special on Splendor with hardly anyone using. Could be I never had dinner at the WJ. Figured the MDR much better place to have dinner. Rather get great service in MDR, than fight for that last chicken wing......

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

Not all the ships rooms have a refrigerator...... so what's your next best guess?? I have dinner in the MDR but my SIL'S and Grandsons, like to eat more than me as does my DH. So by night time they are hungry again. Seems the very thing you are complaining about to others is because you think it should be your way.

As far as "quit cruising or try another cruise line" arguments go, I've been on four other cruise lines and none of them closed down main complimentary dining options so early, so I failed to even consider the possibility. It's one of a number of things making me wish I could go back in time and undo my RC booking.

(I usually eat dinner very early but am up for a snack or dessert after an evening show. I also don't like pizza. Oh well.)

Not all the ships rooms have a refrigerator...... so what's your next best guess?? I have dinner in the MDR but my SIL'S and Grandsons, like to eat more than me as does my DH. So by night time they are hungry again. Seems the very thing you are complaining about to others is because you think it should be your way.

We haven't sailed on every RC ship but the RC ships we have sailed on all had coolers (for lack of better terms refrigerators) in the staterooms. So what RC ships don't have them?

Lol. My way? No, its the way RCCL has has it. Im just saying I don't care either way. Didn't miss it on Anthem or Explorer of the Seas. We always stay up late so if we're not missing it, im sure most don't care. If this was such a problem, Im sure RCCL would change. Guess the 12 on this site are the minority. Either change cruislines or start a petition. Hope you succeed.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

On most of our recent RCI cruises, the WJ has closed at 8:30. If one has late seating but prefers to go to the buffet, that means not being able to go to the show that's geared to the late seating crowd, or leaving it early. They didn't close the doors, but the custom food stations shut down and the other trays weren't refilled as they emptied. I think 9:00 is reasonable for "in the door," leave all of the food stations open until then, maybe the desserts a little longer.

Hmm, last week on Grandeur, early show was 7PM, over well before 8PM for the second seating in the MDR. And WJ was closer to the theater than the MDR. :D

There were little fresh fruit cups in the cafe when I was on Anthem.

We have never sailed on Anthem and on the other ships we have sailed on fruit cups were not available at the late night food venues, even when we sailed on Oasis Class or Freedom Class ships. When I sail again on Allure, this coming November I will try again to find some.

We haven't sailed on every RC ship but the RC ships we have sailed on all had coolers (for lack of better terms refrigerators) in the staterooms. So what RC ships don't have them?

On Vision class ships and the Majesty ( haven't been on Empress, but probably Empress, too ), there is no refrigerator in interior and ocean view cabins.

On Vision class ships and the Majesty ( haven't been on Empress, but probably Empress, too ), there is no refrigerator in interior and ocean view cabins.

We have stayed in Superior Oceanview Cabins on Majesty and had a refrigerator in our cabin. Just to be clear we did not make any kind of special request and it was located inside a cabinet as it would normally be.