Windjammer closes early?

babs135

DD has just returned from a cruise on the Anthem. She had a great time but was surprised to find that the Windjammer closed at 9 pm. Seems a bit odd to me. I understand there were a couple of other eateries open but why not the general buffet, even if it's only a limited menu?

True. Other lines have their buffet open late into the evening but for some reason RCCL doesn't. If you want to see exact hours for each ship do a search for Patters for the ship you are interested in.

DD has just returned from a cruise on the Anthem. She had a great time but was surprised to find that the Windjammer closed at 9 pm. Seems a bit odd to me. I understand there were a couple of other eateries open but why not the general buffet, even if it's only a limited menu?

Nothing odd about this (been this way for years)...however...every chance I get I talk about how nice it would be to have the WJ open in the late evenings serving breakfast items etc. etc. No one at RCI cares or has listened. Not a fan of the very limited food offerings open late.

Why would you be surprised???? It's been that way for years and you have sailed Royal before????.....:rolleyes:

I'm wondering what is the cut off for going into the windjammer? If it closes at 9, can you go in at 8:30 or 8:45 and receive full service? We have a couple of stops on our cruise that extend into the evening so heading to the Windjammer for dinner will be an option.

Why would you be surprised???? It's been that way for years and you have sailed Royal before????.....:rolleyes:

You expect me to remember from 8 years ago! I can't remember what I had for breakfast :eek:

I'd be cranky if I waited until 9 PM to eat dinner =o That's when I'm usually getting ready for bed ;) (I work early I'm up at 5:30 AM daily)

But I could see it for people coming from the west coast to the east coast and having that 3 hour time difference. I imagine there being a lot of food waste if not many people eat that late, but they could at least have some cold foods that don't spoil quickly. Like a build your own sandwich station, maybe even have a toaster to turn a cold sandwich isn't a hot one.

I'd be cranky if I waited until 9 PM to eat dinner =o That's when I'm usually getting ready for bed ;) (I work early I'm up at 5:30 AM daily)

But I could see it for people coming from the west coast to the east coast and having that 3 hour time difference. I imagine there being a lot of food waste if not many people eat that late, but they could at least have some cold foods that don't spoil quickly. Like a build your own sandwich station, maybe even have a toaster to turn a cold sandwich isn't a hot one.

I couldn't wait until 9 pm to eat dinner most nights either, We usually eat about 6. I could see dropping in to the buffet for a snack at 11 or so if we were up having drinks.

the overall amount of food and manpower wasted to stay open to satisfy the few who took advantage was not cost effective.

We have often gone in the WJ late around 8 pm (for us anyway, since we like to eat at 7 pm or earlier) when we did not feel like going to the MDR for MTD. At that time, there are very few passenger diners in there...plus the ships officers. It gets even more empty as we are leaving.

Buffets have to have large amounts of food kept hot with no idea how many will be coming in. That is a lot of food

to have sitting and waiting just in case a few stragglers want to eat late. Too much waste.

Late night eating? Order room service, at least the only waste is what you don't eat on your plate.

Yup closed way too early. Would be nice to have hot food/snacks available into late at night like fries, burgers or hotdogs. More than happy for the Windjammer to close early if these are available in the Cafe Promenade.

Edited by sky0000547

That is the case on every ship in the fleet and has been as long as I can remember! There is usually at least one food venue that will be open until 1:00 am or so. If you need something after 1:00 am then room service is available (for a service fee).

the overall amount of food and manpower wasted to stay open to satisfy the few who took advantage was not cost effective.

Agree

Can't you get enough food inside you from 6 30am till 9 00pm:eek:

By 9:00, I'm usually still asking myself why I ate so damn much at dinner. If I happen to be up until 11 or 12 for something (adult comedy, etc...) I just grab a sandwich or a slice before bed if I'm hungry on my way back to the room.

Yup closed way too early. Would be nice to have hot food/snacks available into late at night like fries, burgers or hotdogs. More than happy for the Windjammer to close early if these are available in the Cafe Promenade.

the WJ never serves anything vaguely resembling burgers at any point during the day. the room service burger is the best burger on the ship. the Cafe Promenade options are more than enough to satisfy most people late night.

True. Other lines have their buffet open late into the evening but for some reason RCCL doesn't. If you want to see exact hours for each ship do a search for Patters for the ship you are interested in.

But Windjammer opening times are not listed in the Patter;p