Azamara for family of five ... including three kids?

SleepingUgly

We are a family of five - two adults and three children (two older teens and one elementary-aged child) who are currently booked on a 10-day Greek Isle cruise on the Oceania Sirena for August 2018. I totally understand that Oceania is not a cruise line that caters to families, but we love the itinerary and, frankly, we didn't want to vacation with tons of other families (including screaming children) and prefer smaller ships that offer impeccable service and a nice, respectful environment. Our children are very well-traveled and know how to behave in polite society, so I figured we won't be shunned or frowned upon so much on Oceania. :)

Anyway, I noticed that Azamara is currently running a promotion of two-category upgrade, and it is offering a fairly interesting Amalfi and Dalmatian Coast itinerary on the Quest, also in August 2018, although it is "only" eight nights. I decided to price it out on the Azamara website, just to see what I came up with. Well, for us to get two veranda staterooms, a two-night stay in Rome pre-cruise, and a one-night stay in Venice post-cruise, along with airfare for all five of us, the pricing comes out to @ 10 percent less than what our Oceania cruise costs for 10 days (which includes airfare, but no hotels and no air deviation fee included). Also, on our Oceania cruise, my husband and I would be in a concierge veranda, but the kids would be in an inside stateroom. On Azamara, we'd all get to have a veranda.

So, I'm now leaning towards changing our plans to book the Azamara cruise, but I'm curious re: how children may be received onboard. Again, our children are pretty well-traveled (we travel to Europe every other year, and my oldest has been to Asia as well), they appreciate good service and opening their minds through meeting others, learning about new cultures and visiting new places as much as my husband and i do. Yes, even our six-year-old, who can take tours and walk through museums with me with nary a complaint but always asks tons of questions.

I'm also a bit intrigued re: some of the comments on this board re: how Azamara officers and especially other guests seem to be more "friendly" and social than those on Oceania, and I really think I'd appreciate that more. Not that I'm a party animal, but we do want to feel welcome and like we "belong" on the ship. Also, the fact some included alcoholic beverages is helpful. We are not heavy drinkers by any means, but my husband was thinking of upgrading to the premium drinks package on Oceania, and I would probably just pay-as-I-go (probably no more than one drink a day since itinerary is very port-intensive), but I do like how I can have a frou-frou daiquiri or magarita whenever I feel like it, kwim?

I guess the one main thing that's keeping me interested in Oceania is the itinerary, which is Venice, Croatia, Montenegro and then @ five Greek Isles before finishing up in Athens. The Azamara itinerary is not as "exotic", but does still include Venice and starts in Rome, which is a nice exchange for Athens. However, the price difference is really making Azamara more attractive, along with the possibly more welcoming / social environment onboard and a better cabin for our kids.

Any thoughts / insight would be much appreciated, especially those who've cruised with both lines. I know this is an Azamara board so I understand POVs may not be too unbiased, but that's OK. I've gotten some good thoughts from the Oceania board when I was first deciding on booking that cruise, so would appeciate any opinions from this board re: how a family of five may "fit" on an Azamara cruise ... especially if pricing is more attractive than Oceania.

Thank you very much!

You probably are not going to like my reply but here goes: my children, now age 20 and 24, have been cruising since they were age 6 and 11 and I would never take them on Azamara. I just don't think it is a product for children, teenagers or young adults. On our Baltic cruise last month there was only ONE young child, around age 7 or 8, with a family group and I felt so sorry for him. He was well-behaved but he had no one to play with and must have been so bored. There is nothing on Azamara for children or teens compared to the other lines -- my children enjoyed RCL and NCL when they were kids and as young adults liked Princess and Celebrity. I'm sure you child is well behaved and would not be an issue but there are so many other lines that are a better fit.

Thank you, and that is very helpful! It's just tough for a family to find a good cruise that is not on a mega-ship, packed to the brim with people and that lacks decent service. And with a good itinerary! I'm hoping that since both the itineraries we are considering are very port-intensive (no sea days and long days in the port), the lack of activities geared towards kids would be fine. Plus, we generally do not make use of kids clubs at hotels and resorts when we travel with our children; we prefer to spend time with them. We will just go on short trips on our own when we need time alone! :) Plus, our children actually looked over some of the RCL and NCL offerings - with the rope swings and water slides and such - and their first question was, "How crowded are these ships?" But I totally understand your comments and really appreciate them; thanks again! I may try to see if I can find a smaller, older RCL or Celebrity ship that may have an itinerary that fits our plans and dates (we are limited to just a three-week period next summer due to the kids' other activities). :)

Well, yes, there really is not much on board for young people on AZ. But since you are comparing AZ to O, it's probably just the same, no better, no worse.

During the day, young people can use the fitness center on AZ, which is pretty good, plus the pool and sundeck. At night there can be a lot of dancing in the Living Room, music by DJ. White Night party is great fun, appealing to all generations with dancing outside to a good band.

If you and your husband plan on drinking, the all-inclusive feature on AZ may make AZ a better buy than O. And all generations will enjoy the coffees at the Mosaic on AZ, all free.

Passengers on AZ are extraordinarily friendly and will probably treat your young ones with respect and good conversation. But alas, they will probably be alone or with just a few others.

We've sailed AZ 4 times, always Atlantic crossings. There were never any passengers younger than 50, as I recall.

I think that if you are fine with no children's program it'll be great! If it's a port intensive cruise you'll all be busy onshore anyway. We've had a handful of children on each of our azamara cruises and no one seemed unhappy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We've always traveled internationally with our children and had high expectations for their behaviour. Several years ago we took our daughters who were similar ages to your children on a trip to Egypt which included a cruise down the Nile for a week. They were the only "children" on board but because it was a busy trip they didn't miss interacting with other kids. They had each other to keep busy with in the very little down time. They loved all of the excursions and the fine dining. They were very well behaved and I don't believe they impacted on the experience of any other passenger. Actually the crew and other passengers enjoyed interacting with them.

I would say you know your children and if they're comfortable being on a more adult line I'd say bring them. With such a port intensive cruise it doesn't sound like there will be much reason for them to be bored. If Azamara works out to a better deal for everyone to have a balcony I'd jump on it.

I think that if you are fine with no children's program it'll be great! If it's a port intensive cruise you'll all be busy onshore anyway. We've had a handful of children on each of our azamara cruises and no one seemed unhappy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, this is what I was thinking - since the itinerary is so port-intensive, I figured that, when we are on the ship, they'd be too tired to be bored. At least, that's the thought / hope ...

Thanks!

We've always traveled internationally with our children and had high expectations for their behaviour. Several years ago we took our daughters who were similar ages to your children on a trip to Egypt which included a cruise down the Nile for a week. They were the only "children" on board but because it was a busy trip they didn't miss interacting with other kids. They had each other to keep busy with in the very little down time. They loved all of the excursions and the fine dining. They were very well behaved and I don't believe they impacted on the experience of any other passenger. Actually the crew and other passengers enjoyed interacting with them.

I would say you know your children and if they're comfortable being on a more adult line I'd say bring them. With such a port intensive cruise it doesn't sound like there will be much reason for them to be bored. If Azamara works out to a better deal for everyone to have a balcony I'd jump on it.

I would LOVE to do a trip like that with our children; Egypt has long been a dream of mine to visit. We were actually planning something with the two older ones seven years ago ... and then I found out I was preggers with our little one so had to put that on hold. :) Our two older ones were the ones who selected the original (Oceania) itinerary b/c they really wanted to visit the Greek Isles, but I know they also were disappointed that Rome wasn't included, so the Azamara itinerary will be a great option as well. I'm hoping that, whichever itinerary we choose, it will be a fun and educational trip for all of us.

Thanks!

I was on Oceania ..sane ship this past winter. I was BORED at night. The dance floor area was deadl the piano player could put anyone to sleep. Loved my cabin.it was JR sute,same as a CC on AZ.

Az does not allow children under age 18 in the Living Room after I think 11 at night.

I see more officers Children than guests. Always like yours very guiet.

Both cruises seem to have good ports.

Please remember these cabins are tiny.yes, drinks are included but specialty restaurants you pay for.

Over all I pick AZ over Oceania.

I'm surprised that Azamara came out less expensive than Oceania! And if your kids are getting a balcony on Azamara, that would be nice for them, plus the beverage package for your DH, and included gratuities.

We personally did not experience any difference in crew friendliness/interaction on Azamara than we did on Oceania, but that seems to be an anomaly. We preferred the food and dining service on Oceania as well.

There were several teenagers on our Azamara cruise, and a toddler. We saw more kids (but still not very many) on our Oceania cruise, but the ship was larger so I'm sure that played a role. No one under the age of 16 is permitted in the fitness centers on either cruise line, but with a port intensive itinerary, that may not be an issue.

If you're happy enough with the Azamara itinerary, I'd probably go for the savings--that can get you a few land tours on your trip. Enjoy it, whichever one you choose! You can't go wrong either way :)

We have sailed both cruise lines and think neither is truly suitable for children but if pushed, Az is friendlier with the occasional officers child on board. Oceania is sometimes a little stuffy and very little interaction with other guests and staff.

I'm surprised that Azamara came out less expensive than Oceania!

I was too, and this includes two nights in Rome pre-cruise and one night in Venice post-cruise. Even if we decide to add in one more night in Rome before the cruise, the price is still lower than Oceanias - and we all get balcony staterooms onboard, as opposed to one balcony stateroom (albeit concierge level) and one inside. PLUS, we also do want to do pre- and post-cruise stays with Oceania and I haven't even factored in those costs yet!

I've sent a note to my TA and she's going to confirm pricing for Azamara for me tomorrow. I think we will probably switch. I also priced out a nine-night Celebrity cruise (Constellation) and we can get two concierge-level veranda staterooms + airfare for five + hotels for about the same rate as Azamara, maybe @ $1000 more actually. But it's an older ship with more people and the itinerary is not as interesting as either Oceania or Azamara. It's making Azamara look even more attractive!

I was on one AZ this year and the fitness man worked with kids daily. At least when I was there.

He may have, but the stated rules of the fitness center prohibit anyone under the age of 16. I looked because I was curious as to how it compared to Oceania.

I was too, and this includes two nights in Rome pre-cruise and one night in Venice post-cruise. Even if we decide to add in one more night in Rome before the cruise, the price is still lower than Oceanias - and we all get balcony staterooms onboard, as opposed to one balcony stateroom (albeit concierge level) and one inside. PLUS, we also do want to do pre- and post-cruise stays with Oceania and I haven't even factored in those costs yet!

I've sent a note to my TA and she's going to confirm pricing for Azamara for me tomorrow. I think we will probably switch. I also priced out a nine-night Celebrity cruise (Constellation) and we can get two concierge-level veranda staterooms + airfare for five + hotels for about the same rate as Azamara, maybe @ $1000 more actually. But it's an older ship with more people and the itinerary is not as interesting as either Oceania or Azamara. It's making Azamara look even more attractive!

I enjoyed the smaller ships of Azamara and Oceania very much, so I would pay a bit more for that. Disembarking/embarking at ports was SO much easier, especially if any are tender ports.

If Celebrity is more expensive, plus drinks and gratuities, that's a no brainer to me!

You probably are not going to like my reply but here goes: my children, now age 20 and 24, have been cruising since they were age 6 and 11 and I would never take them on Azamara. I just don't think it is a product for children, teenagers or young adults. On our Baltic cruise last month there was only ONE young child, around age 7 or 8, with a family group and I felt so sorry for him. He was well-behaved but he had no one to play with and must have been so bored. There is nothing on Azamara for children or teens compared to the other lines -- my children enjoyed RCL and NCL when they were kids and as young adults liked Princess and Celebrity. I'm sure you child is well behaved and would not be an issue but there are so many other lines that are a better fit.

I don't think I would even go on Azamara or Oceania if I was in my 30s. Pretty sure that I'd be bored.

I think this very much depends on your children and how well they get on with each other and are happy with each other's company. You should be prepared that there will be no organised activities for them and actually very little to keep them occupied other than the pool, a table tennis table, a dart board and some board games.

I have cruised many times with my sons (both now in their early/mid twenties) mainly on Royal Caribbean and I would not have taken them on an Azamara cruise (nor even on a Celebrity cruise) as they did like to make friends and mix with other people their age and they are few and far between on Celebrity and very rare on Azamara.

Having said that, if your kids are all happy with each others' company and it's a very port intensive cruise which appeals to you and which is within your budget I wouldn't rule it out - just go along with realistic expectations.

We cruised in the Med in June on Journey and there happened to be a small bunch of young people onboard (I would say late teens/early twenties) who gravitated to each other and had a great time in the Living Room on several nights (I think Elbon may be wrong about the over 18 age or Azamara turned a blind eye as they were doing no harm and really enjoying themselves at the disco or karaoke)

In broader terms Azamara is a wonderful brand with a very inclusive and friendly feel. The smaller ships mean that the crew do get to know you and officers are very visible and friendly. I am sure you would be made welcome as a family and would enjoy the onboard atmosphere. The Azamazing evening and the white party, which take place on each cruise, are very special nights and add to the appeal of Azamara and I am sure would both be enjoyed very much by all the family

I think this very much depends on your children and how well they get on with each other and are happy with each other's company. You should be prepared that there will be no organised activities for them and actually very little to keep them occupied other than the pool, a table tennis table, a dart board and some board games.

I have cruised many times with my sons (both now in their early/mid twenties) mainly on Royal Caribbean and I would not have taken them on an Azamara cruise (nor even on a Celebrity cruise) as they did like to make friends and mix with other people their age and they are few and far between on Celebrity and very rare on Azamara.

Having said that, if your kids are all happy with each others' company and it's a very port intensive cruise which appeals to you and which is within your budget I wouldn't rule it out - just go along with realistic expectations.

We cruised in the Med in June on Journey and there happened to be a small bunch of young people onboard (I would say late teens/early twenties) who gravitated to each other and had a great time in the Living Room on several nights (I think Elbon may be wrong about the over 18 age or Azamara turned a blind eye as they were doing no harm and really enjoying themselves at the disco or karaoke)

Excellent post.

I would add that there is a Wii Game console available.

Although an unusual selection selection for a cruise, there are indeed some young people who will love the port experience. Hiccups mentioned there were some young people on board on the cruise we shared this summer. Actually there were more than I initially thought as the cruise unfolded and they were remarkably quiet and unnoticeable.

I think this is spot on. Really depends on the children. They will be made to feel very welcome by the crew. There's also Wii available on the TV in Spirits during the day.

Sorry nordski. I missed your post!

Phil

I think this is spot on. Really depends on the children. They will be made to feel very welcome by the crew. There's also Wii available on the TV in Spirits during the day.

Phil

Indeed and can I also add it depends on the parents. Parents who know what will work for their children in reality and not in their dreams and can/will enforce the appropriate boundaries should the need arise. Reading their posts, I think the OP falls into this group.

We did a similar cruise on AZ (Rome to Athens) with my family of 5, and the kids were of a similar age. My youngest was in middle school though...so maybe a bit older than yours. The kids loved the cruise. We are of a similar mindset...didn't want to do a mega ship, and my kids don't need a ton of other kids to feel comfortable.

As Bobal pointed out, you might actually get some more kids on an August cruise in the Med. We had a group of probably 10-15 teens on our cruise which was in July. By the end of the cruise, they were all hanging out and stay friends to this day.

On the downside, if you stay on the Oceania itinerary, we found that couple of Greek Isles stops were a little less active than the ones through Italy. So if that holds true on all of the stops, they might not be as tired as you might hope.

We are going back as a family (extended family with grandparents on both sides) next summer with the kids (now 2 in college and 1 in high school). We did a land based tour (on our own) through Italy the year before our cruise. We loved both trips, but the kids really loved the AZ trip.

Unsolicited advice for the Rome portion of your trip. We have stayed in a couple of places in Rome, but I strongly prefer something in or around the Trastevere area. Very quaint little part of Rome with great cheap eats, and very central to many of the sites you might wish to see. Just my two cents...

Edited by grilljockey

We did a similar cruise on AZ (Rome to Athens) with my family of 5, and the kids were of a similar age. My youngest was in middle school though...so maybe a bit older than yours. The kids loved the cruise. We are of a similar mindset...didn't want to do a mega ship, and my kids don't need a ton of other kids to feel comfortable.

As Bobal pointed out, you might actually get some more kids on an August cruise in the Med. We had a group of probably 10-15 teens on our cruise which was in July. By the end of the cruise, they were all hanging out and stay friends to this day.

On the downside, if you stay on the Oceania itinerary, we found that couple of Greek Isles stops were a little less active than the ones through Italy. So if that holds true on all of the stops, they might not be as tired as you might hope.

We are going back as a family (extended family with grandparents on both sides) next summer with the kids (now 2 in college and 1 in high school). We did a land based tour (on our own) through Italy the year before our cruise. We loved both trips, but the kids really loved the AZ trip.

Unsolicited advice for the Rome portion of your trip. We have stayed in a couple of places in Rome, but I strongly prefer something in or around the Trastevere area. Very quaint little part of Rome with great cheap eats, and very central to many of the sites you might wish to see. Just my two cents...

All of this is super, incredibly helpful, thank you so much! I especially appreciate the insight re: Rome hotels. My husband and I have been but it's been so long, and you really have to take different things into consideration when traveling with children. I will be sure to check out the Trastevere area for sure.

Our girls will be 19, 16 and 7 when we sail next summer, so hoping the two older ones may find at least a few other teens their age to hang out with on the cruise. If not, guess they're stuck with mom and dad and their kid sister ... in the middle of the Mediterranean ... on a cruise ship ... with endless amounts of food. Yeah, I don't feel sorry for them either.

I'm surprised that Azamara came out less expensive than Oceania! And if your kids are getting a balcony on Azamara, that would be nice for them, plus the beverage package for your DH, and included gratuities.

/quote]

They weren't the same length though, Azamara 8 days vs. Oceania 10 days.