Inside cabins

elfinmagic

We have stayed in several insides. Also balcony twice or three I think (one a surprise upgrade after booking "last minute" and another was a great sale). More recently we got a Deluxe Balcony Obstructed (Regal) for "pennies" more than the usual inside we would have otherwise booked. TA pricing on that - Princess was more.

But, I particularly made a general commitment to Inside or similar dollar deal because we have cruised exclusively in Caribbean so far and when Sanctuary was introduced, it was what I preferred to spend additional $$$ on over balcony upcharge.

And we heard good things about sideways insides which were pretty rare before Royal/Regal and we like that layout for sure. Stayed in one once on Regal.

So now we purposely selected a new sideways cabin on Island for our 60-day trip. I think we will be just fine and I don't mind admitting what we book and why, but I don't purposefully get into cabin talk. I usually might ask what deck someone is on as small talk. I think it is interesting to hear what people like and prefer on locations.

We always book an inside. We always have anytime dining. We always get a table for 2, "no sharing" as the hostesses say.

This is my dh & I exactly! We would rather cruise more often. And we don't need to meet new people. IF we do its just a bonus. Not something we set out to do.

I sail solo, an insider, too! :) I've had balconies, a mini suite but most of my cruises are inside. I loved sideways inside on Regal (28 days), layout was great. I showed it to several of my table mates, also sailing solo, they were amazed.

I'm on the Royal in Oct., chose an inside on Emerald because I seem to be on 5, 6 & 7 all the time, a new spot, plus it is only 15 days. I'm on the Emerald for a month in 2018, and have a Plaza deck cabin.

I received an upsell offer, did not take it. They would double the amount, it would be close to $1,000. not a great location. Traveling alone, I would rather be out and about, I can find a quiet spot if I want to read. I can understand couples though, having busy lives, wanting to enjoy their space, without extra noise.

wow is that a princess thing. i never heard of that before. i'm assuming easy to take down for those who dont want people to know their names. kinda surprising in todays day that people are ok with this being public info. do they really list entire complete legal names of people like that.

This thread is refreshing 😊

We have our first ever inside, a sideways cabin on our upcoming 10 day Regal cruise.

We have the three for free with 200 OBC and grads paid for

We would lose those perks to switch

Reading these replies makes me feel better about it. 😊

We had a sideways cabin on the Regal... it was great!!! Roomy, and the bed was oriented in the same direction that the ship moves, from head to toe, so not rolling from side to side with the waves.

Just be careful of sideways cabins on other ships that may be below the pool deck, for example. Might be a bit noisy when the crew drag the lounge chairs out early in the morning.

We had a sideways cabin on the Regal... it was great!!! Roomy, and the bed was oriented in the same direction that the ship moves, from head to toe, so not rolling from side to side with the waves.

Just be careful of sideways cabins on other ships that may be below the pool deck, for example. Might be a bit noisy when the crew drag the lounge chairs out early in the morning.

These cabins should be kept secret

We usually book inside cabins ourselves. The one time we didn't was our Alaska cruise and I think we made the right decision there. It was great to sit out on the balcony and watch the beautiful scenery, glaciers, wildlife, etc.

We are on Royal in about two weeks and we booked a balcony there as well. This is probably a once in a lifetime Mediterranean cruise for us, so we didn't want to miss anything. For example, the scenery on the passage into/out of Kotor is supposed to be magnificent.

We usually book inside cabins ourselves. The one time we didn't was our Alaska cruise and I think we made the right decision there. It was great to sit out on the balcony and watch the beautiful scenery, glaciers, wildlife, etc.

We are on Royal in about two weeks and we booked a balcony there as well. This is probably a once in a lifetime Mediterranean cruise for us, so we didn't want to miss anything. For example, the scenery on the passage into/out of Kotor is supposed to be magnificent.

It absolutely is magnificent.

Pam

wow is that a princess thing. i never heard of that before. i'm assuming easy to take down for those who dont want people to know their names. kinda surprising in todays day that people are ok with this being public info. do they really list entire complete legal names of people like that.

This is a Princess thing and they have been doing it for years and years but was threatening to discontinue it a couple of years ago. This was met with quite a bit of opposition so they left it in place. It only will list your first and last name with Mr, Mrs, Master, Ms, etc. and have the color of your captain's club status on them (eg: blue, gold, black, etc). They are removable if you don't like having them there in the hallway... we see very few people that have a problem with it, though as they are obviously removable.

LOL funny how "everyone" is in a balcony or better huh?

My guess is that what really happens is only people who are in a balcony or above would ever start a conversation about what type of cabin they're in. I am assuming most people in interior cabins avoid the topic? Maybe just discuss what deck they are on?

Now before anyone takes offense, I have absolutely no issue with booking interior, and we have, although Oceanview is typically our choice, we are bargain cruisers so if you got a good deal, go for it! I'm just saying that the reason they might have conversations and everyone says they are in balcony and above is because those people want to brag about it [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I suppose an inside cabin is OK for those that want to cruise and can't afford anything else. I just don't like living in a dark closet and having to go to the upper deck to see what the rest or the world looks like. :o

The difference in price over the years will buy you another cruise in the closet if that's what you prefer. It's just not as enjoyable as a balcony.

Methinks our tablemates have all been oneuppers

We are fairly new to cruising (our 7th is at the end of October), and have only ever booked inside cabins. When we are looking at the 'next cruise in the catalogue', we look at the extras that superior categories of cabin offer - and discuss these for at least 30 seconds ... And then one of us says, 'But if we book inside, we can go on Cruise X as well ...' - and we do! We were already on a cruise on 1st January 2016 and we managed 4 others in the rest of the year - better to visit new destinations than sit and admire the cabin wallpaper ... :D 'Never mind the quality - feel the width...'.

I suppose an inside cabin is OK for those that want to cruise and can't afford anything else. I just don't like living in a dark closet and having to go to the upper deck to see what the rest or the world looks like. :o

The difference in price over the years will buy you another cruise in the closet if that's what you prefer. It's just not as enjoyable as a balcony.

LOL I believe people can afford more, they just prefer insides.

Affordability isn't the issue - we could book a balcony but choose not to. Be thankful that different people have differing preferences - otherwise you might find me sitting next to you - and you wouldn't wih that on anybody! :D:D:D

We are currently in France and, to get away from the dust and mess of our renovation work, took our wee trailer tent on 3 short breaks during late July/early August. We used Campings Municipal sites and met some lovely French people on these camp sites within walking distance of mediaeval cities! Great bread & pastries, good wine, good weather and excellent company - and we never paid more than €17 per night! The price/status is immaterial - the quality of our short breaks was beyond mere money. Just a pity that the weather has broken and I have no excuse not to do a little more workon our hovel!

I guess my point was missed by some - it has to do with one uppers - nobody wants to admit they are in an inside cabin once someone brags about his balcony and topped with someone who has a mini topped by a full suite and so on.

The same when table mates start talking about how many cruises they have and I never see them at the most traveled??

I guess my point was missed by some - it has to do with one uppers - nobody wants to admit they are in an inside cabin once someone brags about his balcony and topped with someone who has a mini topped by a full suite and so on.

The same when table mates start talking about how many cruises they have and I never see them at the most traveled??

It's one of the reasons I wonder whether cruising is the right type of holiday for me! The posts about 'status' etc leave me cold - dressing me up in a designer tux and putting me in a posh cabin won't change me as a person (thought it might make me even more curmudgeonly than normal) and I don't need to define my self by the newness of my car etc. On our 2nd cruise, I was on the receiving end of the best 'put-down' I have ever experienced and almost choked with laughter. A rather posh English lady (smug as they make them) sought to engage me in conversation (i.e. deliver a monologue of her crusing experiences ...). Politeness (?) demanded that she ask me about my cruising history - 'Have you taken many cruises?' (in imperious accent). Me: 'No - this is our second - first was with (name of cruise line)' 'Lady': 'Were you on the Majesty - because my gardener takes cruises on that boat ...' Whilst I was curling on the floor in fits of laughter, I heard Mrs Marchie reply, 'No - it was on the Island Escape - a grade below the Majesty ...'. That cruise has assumed the title 'The One Below the Gardener' in family folklore ... :halo::halo:

It's one of the reasons I wonder whether cruising is the right type of holiday for me! The posts about 'status' etc leave me cold - dressing me up in a designer tux and putting me in a posh cabin won't change me as a person (thought it might make me even more curmudgeonly than normal) and I don't need to define my self by the newness of my car etc. On our 2nd cruise, I was on the receiving end of the best 'put-down' I have ever experienced and almost choked with laughter. A rather posh English lady (smug as they make them) sought to engage me in conversation (i.e. deliver a monologue of her crusing experiences ...). Politeness (?) demanded that she ask me about my cruising history - 'Have you taken many cruises?' (in imperious accent). Me: 'No - this is our second - first was with (name of cruise line)' 'Lady': 'Were you on the Majesty - because my gardener takes cruises on that boat ...' Whilst I was curling on the floor in fits of laughter, I heard Mrs Marchie reply, 'No - it was on the Island Escape - a grade below the Majesty ...'. That cruise has assumed the title 'The One Below the Gardener' in family folklore ... :halo::halo:[

For some the neat thing about cruising is you can be anybody, have thousands of days cruising, own a Lamborghini and so on because you will most likely see the same people ever again.

For some the neat thing about cruising is you can be anybody, have thousands of days cruising, own a Lamborghini and so on because you will most likely see the same people ever again.

I know - but what is the point? I don't want to have to try to remember whether it was a Maserati or Lamborghini that I had yesterday ... 'All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players ...' according to Mr Shakespeare - but I have yet to audition for my part!

I know - but what is the point? I don't want to have to try to remember whether it was a Maserati or Lamborghini that I had yesterday ... 'All the world's a stage, and all the men and women merely players ...' according to Mr Shakespeare - but I have yet to audition for my part!

see your post 47