Hurricane- Should I Cancel??

NYtoAdventure

I am scheduled to cruise from NJ to Bermuda ( My 1st cruise ever!!) leaving this Saturday 9/9. As of now my cruise has not been cancelled (Hurricane Irma). The weather forecast is for rain/ thunderstorms EVERY DAY. We have purchased trip insurance, and I was wondering if any cruise veterans would suggest we cancel and get our money back and save it for another cruise with nicer weather/ calmer seas, or should we risk the weather and leave as scheduled??:confused:

Unless you have cancel for any reason your insurance will not cover you

Even if you have CFAR I would read the fine print

you will not get 100% back

I would just go take a rain jacket with a hood & enjoy

JMO

I am scheduled to cruise from NJ to Bermuda ( My 1st cruise ever!!) leaving this Saturday 9/9. As of now my cruise has not been cancelled (Hurricane Irma). The weather forecast is for rain/ thunderstorms EVERY DAY. We have purchased trip insurance, and I was wondering if any cruise veterans would suggest we cancel and get our money back and save it for another cruise with nicer weather/ calmer seas, or should we risk the weather and leave as scheduled??:confused:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

I would wait a bit and see if the cruise line cancels or gives you another option. As mentioned, if you don't have insurance that offers you "cancel for any reason". you would be losing significant money if you cancel on your own.

Differing lines are offering different responses. Check the section for your cruise line.

Royal Carib is shortening some cruises. And offering OBC and FCC totaling 100% of the price paid (50% refundable on board credit and 50% FCC).

Those they have cancelled, they are giving full refund, plus a 25% FCC if you book a new cruise within 30 days.

Some cruise lines are offering refunds for cancelling.

Also check your cruise line web page and call them or your TA.

And has been mentioned, check your insurance coverage, they may or may not cover your cancelling the cruise for the hurricane.

One thing to remember in the future when cruising the Caribbean, don't travel until AFTER November 1st or preferably after November 15th. Also I believe you should not sail after Memorial Day to be safe. Even that is only a suggestion as there have been hurricanes at all time of the year but seldom.

One thing to remember in the future when cruising the Caribbean, don't travel until AFTER November 1st or preferably after November 15th. Also I believe you should not sail after Memorial Day to be safe. Even that is only a suggestion as there have been hurricanes at all time of the year but seldom.

You're advice contradicts your CC member's name :D

Silly advice to begin with, as you would block out half the year - when only some parts of the rather large Caribbean are impacted by any of the FEW storms which do pass through. Then, why mention Caribbean weather on a thread about a New York to Bermuda sailing?

On our Bermuda trip it also rained every day. The seas were not rough surprisingly, although I recommend always going prepared with Bonine and Trans derm scops. Basically, all the water based shore excursions were cancelled due to lightening. But you could do indoor stuff such as shopping, museums, dining. A lot of our fellow cruises got off the ship as soon as we got to Bermuda with their golf clubs and many checked into golf resorts for the duration of our stay in Bermuda. We were on the Breakaway, so we spent a lot of time in the thermal suite and also in The Haven (as we were in The Have Spa Suite.). We did take a taxi tour of Bermuda one day and walked around the shops one afternoon after the rains cleared. We are not the type to hang out by a pool onboard, so none of this bothered us.

You are Far from the storm. I doubt they will cancel. I don't think Bermuda is in danger yet.

However, expect rough seas. I was in the Atlantic Sept 2016 , and we had an unexpected date with "IAN".

There is a second hurricane, Jose, that has a projected cone toward Bermuda about Wednesday 9/13.

NYtoAdventure, you need to read the terms and conditions of your travel policy. Unless you have a "cancel for any reason" rider you cannot cancel just for crappy weather. If it's not a covered reason, and you cancel on your own initiative, you would lose 100% of your fare. You need to monitor your cruise line's web site for updates on your specific sailing.

Now of course you can decide that the weather will be too miserable and you would rather eat the cost rather than go through that. But that's a choice you need to weigh.

Silly advice to begin with, as you would block out half the year - when only some parts of the rather large Caribbean are impacted by any of the FEW storms which do pass through. Then, why mention Caribbean weather on a thread about a New York to Bermuda sailing?

No need to be nasty saying "silly advice"....they are going to Bermuda which is line for Hurricane

Rita AND Jose is right behind her. They are only sailing out of NY and will be heading south of which Hurricane Rita can go right up the east coast or back out to sea.

ALSO, there are many other places to cruise during the summer which is not the Caribbean! To me the Caribbean is too hot during the summer!

I was only trying to be helpful to a new cruiser and I don't need any crap from what is supposedly to be a friendly website

PLEASE, no need to reply....

No need to be nasty saying "silly advice"....they are going to Bermuda which is line for Hurricane

Rita AND Jose is right behind her. They are only sailing out of NY and will be heading south of which Hurricane Rita can go right up the east coast or back out to sea.

ALSO, there are many other places to cruise during the summer which is not the Caribbean! To me the Caribbean is too hot during the summer!

I was only trying to be helpful to a new cruiser and I don't need any crap from what is supposedly to be a friendly website

PLEASE, no need to reply....

Sorry about the "silly" - but advocating avoiding the Caribbean for half the year

A regular travel insurance policy will not refund your cruise for a voluntary cancellation. If you have "cancel for any reason" coverage, not booked through the cruise line, you must cancel within a set period of time before your trip, and you'll only get about 50% back (depends on policy).

I have empathy with your situation: "first cruise ever" and threatening weather systems. Take comfort in the fact that the cruise line has nothing to gain, and a great deal to loose, to disregard big Atlantic storms. Next, as others have said, unless you have an "extraordinary" travel insurance plan, you won't recover the cost of your voyage.

The weather may be cloudy and likely some precipitation, but a quick check of the plethora of IRMA possible tracks on the internet, the latest hint at a more westerly route. Bermuda is approximately 600 miles east of the East Coast, so the storm would have to take a rather abrupt turn to the east to hit Bermuda.

My first cruise was back in the days when the ships were smaller and the one my wife and I was on didn't have stabilizers (it was an old ship about to be taken out of service). We were in very, very rough seas in the Pacific in an El Niño year. We had our "wrist bands" and some Meclazine (which we didn't need) and did just fine (remember it was my first cruise too). The weather resulted in some interesting events (nothing dangerous) that could have easily been in a movie in the genre of "Blazing Saddles" or "Spaceballs" (if you're too young find a copy of one or both in some archive). Thirty years later we're still talking about this voyage when the subject of "were you ever in rough weather. . .".

Sorry about the "silly" - but advocating avoiding the Caribbean for half the year

I actually agree with the advice. We only have the funds to vacation once a year. Frankly, the Caribbean is too hot in the summer plus adding in hurricane season - not worth it the potential stress. The Caribbean is a great trip nov-feb (march-may is spring break season, also not worth it)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Its rainy in Bermuda during hurricane season and I want to cancel my cruise. If that gets you 100 percent of your money back with less than 2 days notice then I want the name of your trip cancellation insurer!

There is a reason that cruise lines move most or all of their ships out of the area during this time of year. So yes, I agree that avoiding the Caribbean during hurricane season is a good idea.

Irma is not going to impact your cruise. The weather forecast that you mention is not unusual. Enjoy Bermuda.

If you were sailing to anywhere other than Bermuda I would say cancel but as far as I know Bermuda is probably OK this week. With that said people keep referring to Bermuda in the Caribbean and that is incorrect Bermuda is right off of the coast of South Carolina and not in the Caribbean at all, they have different weather etc. also for your first cruise it probably would have been better to do a Caribbean cruise in the winter to get your sea legs. The Atlantic can be rough compared to the Caribbean/ gulf and there's no telling how you will react

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If the cruise line thinks there is any danger ,they will reroute the ship. Several year's ago the NYC to Bermuda cruise went to Canada to avoid a storm. If you are driving to the ship you may want to add a few sweaters and not worry where the ship is going . Enjoy yourself .

Sent from my iPad using Forums