Knitting needles and blunt scissors policy.

HvySeezFcstr

My wife would like to get some knitting done on a cruise coming up this weekend and would like to know if HAL or TSA allow knitting needles and blunt scissors on board?

About 4 days from sailing and still NO Stateroom #, paid HAL four days ago in full.. have two cruises booked on HAL a 17 day and a 7 day and am about to try Carnival where I can get a large aft balcony for considerable less $ than HAL for the summer of 18'.

We have sailed HAL several times and have never had an issue with knitting needles or scissors. We packed them in our checked luggage for the flight and going onto the ship. Many a happy hour was spent sitting on deck knitting. On our last cruise, Seattle to Sydney there was a lady who knitted many pairs of socks sitting by the Lido pool! It was amazing to watch. I have never tried to knit socks but will one day give it a go!

My wife would like to get some knitting done on a cruise coming up this weekend and would like to know if HAL or TSA allow knitting needles and blunt scissors on board?

About 4 days from sailing and still NO Stateroom #, paid HAL four days ago in full.. have two cruises booked on HAL a 17 day and a 7 day and am about to try Carnival where I can get a large aft balcony for considerable less $ than HAL for the summer of 18'.

No knitting needles on the list - scissors with blades longer than four inches are prohibited

https://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Resp.action?requestPage=Prohibited_Items&WT.ac=PopTop_ProhibitedItems

No knitting needles on the list - scissors with blades longer than four inches are prohibited

https://www.hollandamerica.com/pageByName/Resp.action?requestPage=Prohibited_Items&WT.ac=PopTop_ProhibitedItems

I have taken both knitting needles and blunt scissors on ships and planes without problems

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sailing out of Amsterdam in July, I had nail scissors, blades less than 1/2 inches long. They were in my carry on and security went through my bag until they found it. They said I could not have it. I was incredulous. I explained they were to cut my fingernails. After consulting two other people, they finally let me take them onboard. Bought a letter opener in one of the Norway ports and they almost didn't let me bring that onboard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Knitting needles are allowed by TSA per the following:

Knitting Needles

• Carry On Bags: Yes
  • Checked Bags: Yes

Any sharp objects in checked bags should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and inspectors.

Take a moment and read the attached/most recent list of items prohibited on board by HAL. Knitting needles are NOT on that list, meaning they are OK to take on board. Scissors with a blade over four inches are on the list, meaning those with a blade over four inches will be temp. confiscated. A case can be made for scissors with blunt endings, i.e. medical/band-aid scissors

Take a moment and read the attached/most recent list of items prohibited on board by HAL. Knitting needles are NOT on that list, meaning they are OK to take on board. Scissors with a blade over four inches are on the list, meaning those with a blade over four inches will be temp. confiscated. A case can be made for scissors with blunt endings, i.e. medical/band-aid scissors

John, Why are irons, steamers and coffee makers and surge suppressor extension cords not on that list? Is there another list? m--

Yep. Carnival is cheaper. For a reason. Or several.

I have taken both knitting needles and blunt scissors on ships and planes without problems

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That might depend on the airline and the country. I know for sure KLM (dutch airlines) but also dutch security allows knitting needles etc only in your checked luggage.

We definitely had a "handwork" hour in the Captains Corner of the Crow's Nest on our TA out of Florida - and I for one did not check baggage... But I don't remember what I took for cutting yarn ends. Maybe a very small seam ripper with its point in a hard cover? Blunt "kids" scissors should be fine, just make sure at home that they actually cut yarn.

I have knit all around the world (although not on KLM I admit). The only time I ever had knitting needles taken from me was November 2001, when they were still getting the routines down. The were very small needles (us3), plastic, round tipped, and so flexible I could bend the point to the dull end! But knitting needles were on the list and the new-hire was going by the list!

I was also once told on a plane not to knit until after take-off. OK then! Now I don't get it out until after take-off.

John, Why are irons, steamers and coffee makers and surge suppressor extension cords not on that list? Is there another list? m--

I'm also curious about the status of the coffee maker policy, Copper.

Irons, kettles, etc. Are listed under laundry.

https://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard%20Life&contentMenu=Onboard%20Services&contentSubMenu=Are%20Laundry%20Facilities%20Available%20On%20Board%3F

And under how is my stateroom furnished

https://www.hollandamerica.com/cruise-vacation-planning/PlanningAndAdvice.action?tabName=Shipboard%20Life&contentMenu=Onboard%20Services&contentSubMenu=How%20Is%20My%20Stateroom%20Furnished%3F

I've been flying and cruising with my #7&8 steel crochet hooks for years. I have a pair of scissors that folds up, but in a pinch have used nail clippers to cut thread/yarn. But it may depend on the airport/personnel. I have had a very teeny tiny eyeglass screw driver taken: less than half inch long. Have had thinning shears taken at Gatwick. Nothing sharp or pointy on them at all. If concerned, I would suggest she get plastic/bamboo or other non-metal needles. Least favorite is better than none at all. EM

Thank you Jacqui for posting the references... not that I want to take any of these items myself (heck, I hardly iron at home!) but many others ask about them, and I had never noticed these. The information is rather buried, I think; I'd have looked for them in the Prohibited Items list.... but they didn't ask me.... :) m--

There is frequently sit and knit group on the daily schedule on sea days. I've met a lot of great people in those groups. One time I had my interchangeable needles in my carry on and got pulled aside getting on the ship. They went through my bad and found them. I told them what they were, but they had a few discussions with other personnel and looked in some book before they decided I could take them onboard.

I have never had a problem with the airlines, but on a knitting group online, I have heard many stories of people getting their knitting taken away, particularly on flights from other countries and flights from other countries coming back to the US. I only take what I absolutely need on flights. The interchangeables and any scissors and other things are in my checked luggage. I use fingernail clippers if I will need to cut the yarn on a plane.