No more Cruise Logs

JennysUncle

I'm currently on the Volendam, 57 nights out of VANCOUVER to SINGAPORE.... completed the first of 4 seperate cruise legs and definitely NO cruise logs!!!! Will be contacting Guest services upon my return requesting a detailed copy of all the information the Cruise Log used to contain....... wish me luck!

Please let us know the outcome of your request.

Did you ask at the Front Desk for a cruise log?

Enjoy the remainder of the cruise.

Well, there would be a little waste at least at first. But as I said in post #200, if they modify the Front Lobby statement-printing kiosks to enable us to print our own logs there would be zero waste.

How many times have you found one or both of the kiosks inoperable on any given day? It would be a bummer for this to happen on the last night when you were trying to print out the log.

I got off the Maasdam yesterday in Sydney after a pleasant crossing, no logs, no printout of the bill either. I don't need either particularly but obviously I worry when Holland cuts stuff. We're dealing with a line that thought metal pins were too expensive as prizes so they went to plastic ones. (roll eyes)

I got off the Maasdam yesterday in Sydney after a pleasant crossing, no logs, no printout of the bill either. I don't need either particularly but obviously I worry when Holland cuts stuff. We're dealing with a line that thought metal pins were too expensive as prizes so they went to plastic ones. (roll eyes)

Pleased that you had a pleasant Trans Pacific journey.

Who was the Captain?

Did you ask for a print out of the bill and for a cruise log?

Did you encounter any problems on board the Maasdam?

Does the library and the book exchange cupboard still exist?

How many times have you found one or both of the kiosks inoperable on any given day? It would be a bummer for this to happen on the last night when you were trying to print out the log.
I've probably only used them a half-dozen times at most, and only once found one out of paper, which was quickly remedied. Once I wanted a daily NY Times summary when they were all gone, and they printed one for me behind the desk, so that's a back-up. And stopping by the front desk on debarkation morning is a possibility since we are early risers and can beat the crowd.

Pleased that you had a pleasant Trans Pacific journey.

Who was the Captain?

Did you ask for a print out of the bill and for a cruise log?

Did you encounter any problems on board the Maasdam?

Does the library and the book exchange cupboard still exist?

There were no problems, other than a malfunctioning balcony light that took a bit long to fix in my view, but that's minor. I don't recall the name of the captain offhand, regrettably. I didn't ask for a cruise log and I reviewed my account on my laptop. There was a kiosk adjacent to the front desk from which I could have gotten a printout had I wanted one. The library is still there. I didn't see a book exchange. Thank you for your good wishes.

I don't recall the name of the captain offhand, regrettably. I didn't ask for a cruise log and I reviewed my account on my laptop. The library is still there. I didn't see a book exchange. Thank you for your good wishes.

And THat is why some of us really miss the log. I kept many of mine and like to refer back to refrewshmy memory of a Captain's or Hotel Directors's name, or Enginner etc.................... I likely will remember the person some months later but may be vague as to their name Nothing personal against them, just my aging memory.

Edited by sail7seas

No cruise logs but still receiving reams of other advertising and extraneous crap...

The reason is that advertising is an expense that HAL hopes will generate revenue, while the Cruise Log is an expense that generates no (direct) revenue. As such, when cost-cutting decisions are made, non-revenue producing expenses (such as the costs of producing and distributing the Cruise Log, for example) are targeted first. From a business standpoint, this makes perfect sense unless HAL sees that eliminating the Cruise Log is costing it business. So if you are a fan of the Cruise Log, let HAL know, and maybe the Cruise Log will again be distributed on all HAL cruises.

Frankly I think eliminating the cruise log is a missed advertising / loyalty opportunity....how many cruise logs are part of scrapbooks that are shown to who knows how many people over the years. As discussed the cost to do a PDF of the cruise log is peanuts.

Or I would guess that any number of companies would be willing to "sponsor" the cost of the cruise log in return for having their logo, ad, website address, printed on a cruise log and handed out to all the HAL passengers. Travel agencies would bid a LOT to have this kind of exposure.

Marketing requires a bit of creativity to maximize returns and customer satisfaction all the while keeping the bean counters happy.

The one thing that I have saved from every one of my HAL cruises is the cruise log. I find it very sad that this has been discontinued, and very uneasy that the state of HAL's finances must be pretty shaky for them to eliminate such a minor item.

There were no problems, other than a malfunctioning balcony light that took a bit long to fix in my view, but that's minor. I don't recall the name of the captain offhand, regrettably. I didn't ask for a cruise log and I reviewed my account on my laptop. There was a kiosk adjacent to the front desk from which I could have gotten a printout had I wanted one. The library is still there. I didn't see a book exchange. Thank you for your good wishes.

Thank you for your reply.

Good to know that the library still exists.

Any chance HAL has been get lawsuit threats regarding port times (arrival & depart times) and that log I fuel for the fire?

I understand the Cruise Contract is in place, to avoid that kind of crap, but trust me, there are folks willing to sue and want money back because they did not get their 8 posted hours of beach time because the ship arrived late, and their entire vacation was ruined. That cruise log verifies their claim. And there are always lawyers willing to try.

Maybe my memory is foggy on this, but I don't think the cruise log differed if we arrived late or early. In other words, it was pretty much written up in advance.

Maybe my memory is foggy on this, but I don't think the cruise log differed if we arrived late or early. In other words, it was pretty much written up in advance.
And the docking time for debarkation morning was always speculation of course.

Frankly I think eliminating the cruise log is a missed advertising / loyalty opportunity....how many cruise logs are part of scrapbooks that are shown to who knows how many people over the years. As discussed the cost to do a PDF of the cruise log is peanuts.

Or I would guess that any number of companies would be willing to "sponsor" the cost of the cruise log in return for having their logo, ad, website address, printed on a cruise log and handed out to all the HAL passengers. Travel agencies would bid a LOT to have this kind of exposure.

Marketing requires a bit of creativity to maximize returns and customer satisfaction all the while keeping the bean counters happy.

Great idea - suggest you pass it on to HAL.

I don't know about the arrival and departure times, but I just looked at four cruise logs where we had port changes en-route, and all those were shown correctly.

I don't know about the arrival and departure times, but I just looked at four cruise logs where we had port changes en-route, and all those were shown correctly.

Thanks. I was hoping people would share their experience as to the accuracy of their travel log.

Great idea - suggest you pass it on to HAL.

already did....no response

i would suspect that Marriott or Hilton or a major hotel chain would love to put an ad on cruise logs with some special offer for HAL cruise pax to book a pre or post cruise hotel with them on next cruise....or an airline, car rental u name it....or of course HAL could put their own ad on the cruise log in the form of some kind of coupon/code to be used on next booking for something like a free meal or drink etc on next cruise....cruise logs should be viewed as an opportunity to increase revenues....not an expense.

Or I would guess that any number of companies would be willing to "sponsor" the cost of the cruise log in return for having their logo, ad, website address, printed on a cruise log and handed out to all the HAL passengers.

This thread has garnered 268 responses. See how many posts there will be when Oprah's name is on the cruise log.

Getting somewhat bummed about this as, although we have not received logs on our last couple of cruises, they were replicate cruises of which we had cruised previously. Though disappointing, some of the info was close to replicating. As we are nearing one of our bucket list cruises to a part of the world we may never return to I am saddened that we won't have this bit of memorabilia to take home from the cruise. Inasmuch as we are not flying home, Orlando might be receiving a wad load of paper from me.

What is the best mailing address to reach Mr. Ashford? I sent an email to HAL and got a canned response. Surely there's a way to provide feedback directly to his office.

I have sent an email to: Officeofthepresident@HollandAmerica.com

The answer I got was:

Regarding cruise logs, we’re not currently able to provide these for our sailings. We’re sorry for any disappointment at not receiving this document for your voyage and will pass this feedback along to management so they may consider whether to re introduce cruise logs to our fleet in the future.

Thank you again for contacting our office. On behalf of Mr. Orlando Ashford, we look forward to welcoming you on board the ms Volendam in November. Until then,we wish you all the best.

Kind regards,

Kirby Lee

SpecialAdvisor

Office ofthe President