No more Cruise Logs

JennysUncle

And they would join all the onboard art sale notices, store sales, and other rubbish we find, on a daily basis, at our door. In addition, we have little use for the silly medallions, pins, (I know we are tramping on sacred ground), arctic circle crossing certificates, equator crossing certificates, International Date Line crossing certificates, etc. etc. But we will acknowledge that some (or all) of this stuff is important to some folks. It is the same with the Mariners Party where folks will wait in line for a half hour to just see the Captain and get a free drink (usually lousy). I never realized how important this stuff is to some folks until we saw the uproar (here on CC) when HAL tried to eliminate Medallions. Personally, they can take away all that stuff and perhaps give us some free internet time (like we get on nearly every other cruise line). Those Medallions, pins, certificates, etc. either get tossed on the ship..or end up in the back of a bottom drawer (only known to DW). But internet time is nice to keep in touch with family/friends during those long HAL cruises..

Hank

I like free internet as much as the next person. I also like reduced rates on specialty restaurants and wine packages. I don't think other lines offer the wine and Restarant discounts, do they? I'm interested in which party you stand waiting for a half hour for a drink. While I don't attend all the mariner events I can't recall ever waiting more than a minute of two for a drink of my choice. Different cruise lines have different benefits. I do sail other lines but I can't say one offers better benefits than the other.

And they would join all the onboard art sale notices, store sales, and other rubbish we find, on a daily basis, at our door. In addition, we have little use for the silly medallions, pins, (I know we are tramping on sacred ground), arctic circle crossing certificates, equator crossing certificates, International Date Line crossing certificates, etc. etc. But we will acknowledge that some (or all) of this stuff is important to some folks. It is the same with the Mariners Party where folks will wait in line for a half hour to just see the Captain and get a free drink (usually lousy). I never realized how important this stuff is to some folks until we saw the uproar (here on CC) when HAL tried to eliminate Medallions. Personally, they can take away all that stuff and perhaps give us some free internet time (like we get on nearly every other cruise line). Those Medallions, pins, certificates, etc. either get tossed on the ship..or end up in the back of a bottom drawer (only known to DW). But internet time is nice to keep in touch with family/friends during those long HAL cruises..

Hank

I’m with you on this one. Recognition is nice but I have no use for more clutter such as the medallions, pins, etc. I like the 50% discounts at the specialty restaurants And the exploration café. Would appreciate Internet time more than a medallion any day!

I completely agree as well. The medallions etc. are not of interest to us. We would much prefer a few internet minutes, reduced restaurant cover charges or discounted drinks/speciality coffees. I realize others feel strongly about the medallions- maybe the best solution is to offer a choice?

Back to the topic of this thread- I really like the suggestion of receiving a digital cruise log after the voyage. A nicely designed document could be digitally saved in one's cruise file or printed as a keepsake.

Edited by Shelo

Recd a cruise log last night on Westerdam. Same as before.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

So we have the original Cruise Log back again, eh? Guess this Thread (or was it the e-mails and letters to HAL?) has succeeded in convincing HAL of the error of its ways. Now if only we could get HAL to stop forcing us to accept the medallions, pins, and other unwanted trinkets & trash ...

So we have the original Cruise Log back again, eh? Guess this Thread (or was it the e-mails and letters to HAL?) has succeeded in convincing HAL of the error of its ways.

I don't think you can conclude this. Some ships look like they are just trying to use up their stock of Log paper. When the president's office is putting it in writing that they "are unable to provide cruise logs", you can bet they will all be discontinued. Any reversal will also have to come from Ashford's staff.

I don't think you can conclude this. Some ships look like they are just trying to use up their stock of Log paper. When the president's office is putting it in writing that they "are unable to provide cruise logs", you can bet they will all be discontinued. Any reversal will also have to come from Ashford's staff.

Makes sense to me. So we were premature in our elation over HAL's apparent change of heart, eh?

So we have the original Cruise Log back again, eh? Guess this Thread (or was it the e-mails and letters to HAL?) has succeeded in convincing HAL of the error of its ways. Now if only we could get HAL to stop forcing us to accept the medallions, pins, and other unwanted trinkets & trash ...

If you read this thread, you will see what Roy reported on his LIVE thread.

As to the medallions or trinkets as you call them, simply say you don't want yours. Just because you don't want them is no reason for HAL to change their policy. They have a lot more Mariners than you and many that do enjoy their "trinkets".

If you read this thread, you will see what Roy reported on his LIVE thread.

As to the medallions or trinkets as you call them, simply say you don't want yours. Just because you don't want them is no reason for HAL to change their policy. They have a lot more Mariners than you and many that do enjoy their "trinkets".

I understand that many people enjoy the "trinkets" but I wonder what would happen if one of the suggestions made above were to be implemented: Given a CHOICE between a "trinket" or internet minutes, etc. ...... how many people would stick with the "trinket"?

I was cleaning out our home office this week and came across our medallions. I couldn't bring myself to throw them away but didn't really see the need to keep them either. We know how many days we have sailed -- we were duly recognized in front of our fellow passengers -- and now we have these "trinkets" taking up space at home. Can anyone who values these items shed some light on what they do with them once they get them home?

I understand that many people enjoy the "trinkets" but I wonder what would happen if one of the suggestions made above were to be implemented: Given a CHOICE between a "trinket" or internet minutes, etc. ...... how many people would stick with the "trinket"?

I was cleaning out our home office this week and came across our medallions. I couldn't bring myself to throw them away but didn't really see the need to keep them either. We know how many days we have sailed -- we were duly recognized in front of our fellow passengers -- and now we have these "trinkets" taking up space at home. Can anyone who values these items shed some light on what they do with them once they get them home?

Spot on, ithaca gal!

Re your last question, I'd suggest a "green solution": simply place them (very reverently, of course) to your recycle bins and take pride in knowing that you are helping HAL's conservation initiatives.

Hank

Is it really necessary to use the adjective “silly” when making your feelings known about medallions and pins? From your post, you obviously know these things are important to others.

Perhaps, it would be kinder we could get our point across without using wording that deliberately demeans others. :)

I occasionally come across our medallions as well. Every time I do, they bring a smile to my face...and they really don’t take up much room!

They also remind me of my daughter, who was probably 12 years old when she received her first medallion. She’s now in her 20’s and has it, along with her picture with the Captain, in her “memories box“. :)

Can anyone who values these items shed some light on what they do with them once they get them home?

They make nice ornaments for a Christmas tree. Always brings back nice memories and guests find them intriguing and are good conversation starters.

You can always turn it back into the front desk after the ceremony if you prefer not to have one.

They make nice ornaments for a Christmas tree. Always brings back nice memories and guests find them intriguing and are good conversation starters.

You can always turn it back into the front desk after the ceremony if you prefer not to have one.

Christmas ornaments...what a nice idea!

Is it really necessary to use the adjective “silly” when making your feelings known about medallions and pins? From your post, you obviously know these things are important to others.

Perhaps, it would be kinder we could get our point across without using wording that deliberately demeans others. :)

Agree 100%. Thanks for sharing these words of wisdom.

... As to the medallions or trinkets as you call them, simply say you don't want yours. Just because you don't want them is no reason for HAL to change their policy. They have a lot more Mariners than you and many that do enjoy their "trinkets".

Never been forced to take anything! I think it is nice that HAL recognizes days sailed. Although I would appreciate internet minutes more.

Sorry that you missed the sarcasm in my earlier Post. I thought the sarcasm was obvious but understand how some folks could have missed it.

I must admit that I read the first page of this thread and the last page. I don’t know what is on the 17 pages in between but I have to say this is one change that I do not care about at all.

I’m wondering if they counted up how many of these logs were thrown in the wastebasket on the last day?

I would be surprised if they actually counted them, but they may have for a certain period of time in order to gather data before making the decision.

What seems like a simple piece of paper is anything but in a large company. There is tremendous work that must go into creating, distributing and managing it. Someone has to create it. Someone also needs to proof read it. Stock must be ordered and brought on board and stored. The print order is sent to printing where it is most likely reviewed. Stock must be retrieved from storage and then the print sent up. A test run is usually done first and then reviewed before the complete run is printed. After the print, it needs to be stacked and sent to housekeeping for distribution. At housekeeping, it must be distributed among every cabin steward and then distributed to every cabin. As the cruise log is provided at the end of the cruise, the cabin steward then has to pick up all those that are thrown away and take it to recycling where it is handled once again. Remember, you are talking about generally a thousand pieces of paper for every voyage. What the actual dollar cost is I don't know, but there is considerable effort to put out this document.

I understand why HAL would cease creating a hard copy. I quickly grew tired of bringing flyers and community newspapers into our home one day and out the next day for recycling. I can't imagine how frustrating it would be if I were creating and printing them at home first.

I also understand that some people like them and miss them. Perhaps a better solution would be for HAL to provide a e-copy of them in its on board app so folks who do want them can save a copy for themselves. That way they can keep it in an e-form or print it off themselves.

I keep my medallion in my carry-on so I have it with me on the next cruise. Then, as those who have sailed HAL have done for years, I wear it proudly to the Mariners' reception. It's a shame that people have gotten out of that habit, as I am seeing fewer and fewer medallions worn then.

If someone doesn't like or want the medallions or pins, they simply don't have to accept them in the first place. Very easy. Notify the Front Desk that you would prefer to abstain from the presentation; go to the reception or not, as you choose.

The newer Star pins can be returned to the Front Desk to be given to someone else. No need to throw them in the trash. That's just wasteful.

Like many here, have a full cash of Medallions and pins. NO ONE ever forced me to take or to keep any of them, I like , my medallions. They bring bac k lots of memories for me. . If you think them silly fine, but please don't diminish our enjoyment of them Thank you if you choose to consider that.

I keep my medallion in my carry-on so I have it with me on the next cruise. Then, as those who have sailed HAL have done for years, I wear it proudly to the Mariners' reception. It's a shame that people have gotten out of that habit, as I am seeing fewer and fewer medallions worn then.

If someone doesn't like or want the medallions or pins, they simply don't have to accept them in the first place. Very easy. Notify the Front Desk that you would prefer to abstain from the presentation; go to the reception or not, as you choose.

The newer Star pins can be returned to the Front Desk to be given to someone else. No need to throw them in the trash. That's just wasteful.

Couldn’t agree more, we are 5* and recently received our Silver Medallions. They go with us on every cruise and we too “wear them proudly” to the Mariners Reception. All of our years and awards always bring back many fond memories of our cruising days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like many here, have a full cache of Medallions and pins. NO ONE ever forced me to take or to keep any of them, I like , my medallions. They bring bac k lots of memories for me. . If you think them silly fine, but please don't diminish our enjoyment of them Thank you if you choose to consider that.

For some, this would depend on whether they consider the pins a gift. Some feel it is rude to decline or refuse to accept a gift.

I like this idea.

Just came off the Ruby Princess last Saturday and the Log of the Cruise was left the last evening. 4 full pages including extracts from the Ship's official logbook, the summary of distance between ports, and facts about the ship and the officers. IMO once a template is made, the completion of it is quite simple. A very nice summary of the cruise. I, too, do not understand HAL not wanting to do this.