Paid Tips Query

Lucia13

I'm sorry but this post is so stupid.

Cheating workers out of their hard earned money? Excuse me but nobody should have to "expect" tips to supplement their wage. These workers signed a base salary agreement which they know is guaranteed money, everything else should be performance or service based. TIPS SHOULD NOT BE EXPECTED.

You hope people get crappy service and cold food for NOT tipping? More stupidity. People pay a standard fare for their cruise and for that they should get a base (decent) service, if somebody goes above and beyond and they receive amazing service then sure reward them for that but suggesting people receive less service for not tipping? Unbelievable.

It's the ideology of tipping like this that makes it OK for companies to low ball their workers and expect the customers to pick up the slack, it's archaic and I don't know how we even got to this stage.

Pay your workers a healthy liveable wage!

Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Or is it welcome back?

IMO everyone should either prepay or autopay their tips and tip extra in cash crew who enhance your cruise experience.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

IMO, tipping should be done away with as a practice. What exactly is my cruise fare paying for if not good service? If I do not get good service, you can bet I will be at guest services adjusting the bill.:cool:

IMO, tipping should be done away with as a practice. What exactly is my cruise fare paying for if not good service? If I do not get good service, you can bet I will be at guest services adjusting the bill.:cool:

Agree!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheating workers out of their hard earned money? Excuse me but nobody should have to "expect" tips to supplement their wage. These workers signed a base salary agreement which they know is guaranteed money, everything else should be performance or service based. TIPS SHOULD NOT BE EXPECTED.

It's the ideology of tipping like this that makes it OK for companies to low ball their workers and expect the customers to pick up the slack, it's archaic and I don't know how we even got to this stage.

Pay your workers a healthy liveable wage!

I agree with you, it should be different. But it's not. And I'm just not willing to take away from what a crew member makes because I have issues with the Cruise Lines policies.

Wow so many opinions. I really don't agree with the whole system.

My main beef is that it is unfair that some pay and some don't. On a recent cruise so many people told us that they had removed their grats and had saved $400 per couple and would go towards there next cruise.

Why should one pay and one not? It should be built into the price of the cruise and be under a heading of service charge or similar. Tipping should be optional at the end of the cruise or adhoc. As for paying grats upfront??? I don't nip in my local restaurant on a Tuesday and tip them for the meal I am having on Friday. I will tip after if I am happy. If the waiter wants to share with the chef that's up to them.

Wow so many opinions. I really don't agree with the whole system.

My main beef is that it is unfair that some pay and some don't. On a recent cruise so many people told us that they had removed their grats and had saved $400 per couple and would go towards there next cruise.

Why should one pay and one not? It should be built into the price of the cruise and be under a heading of service charge or similar. Tipping should be optional at the end of the cruise or adhoc. As for paying grats upfront??? I don't nip in my local restaurant on a Tuesday and tip them for the meal I am having on Friday. I will tip after if I am happy. If the waiter wants to share with the chef that's up to them.

Also agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a smart consumer, who wont be guilt tripped into paying the cruise lines staff. I love cruising and do so often and will continue to do so. Only doing what's allowed in the contract and couldn't care less what you think!

Hey, but thanks for playing along, keeping my fare low by subsidizing the behind the scenes crew wages. Next time why don't you throw the company a few extra bucks so they can give the captain a raise?

Enjoy your next cruise!

Do you also stiff restaurant staff on their wages? I'm hoping you don't eat at the same place twice, for your sake.

Do you also stiff restaurant staff on their wages? I'm hoping you don't eat at the same place twice, for your sake.

Unfortunately, using the word "wages" highlights the whole problem here--wages are typically paid by an employer. Shifting the payroll cost of service personnel to the consumer as a separate charge is the reason this whole thing is such a mess now.

I pay the "service charges" or whatever the line calls them, but I don't believe 100% of them go to staff.

I tip the waiter directly. Do you give the extra tip to the owner?

And a week before you sit down for the meal? :')

We leave the Optional Resort Fee (I mean, Auto Grats) on. Just easier. And maybe tip a little cash here and there if warranted ( a bucket of ice or a smile in the hallway doesn't warrant it). But the whole tipping things is getting out of control. How soon before the security guys checking your bags as you re-embark put the fish bowl on the table with "TIPS" scrawled on the side of it?

Any theories on the purpose of printing this list and giving it to the staff? I am not being sarcastic. Really, why hand that list out?

I'm not sure of the point. But I always pre-pay tips, because I just look at them as part of the fare and move on with life, and the servers always mention it and say thank you for prepaying. I guess they like knowing that I could remove them even if a I tried, and the likelihood of trying is way lower if they are prepaid.

I have no idea if the list is updated nightly, but it is on the sheet with everyone's names.

I'm not sure of the point. But I always pre-pay tips, because I just look at them as part of the fare and move on with life, and the servers always mention it and say thank you for prepaying. I guess they like knowing that I could remove them even if a I tried, and the likelihood of trying is way lower if they are prepaid.

I have no idea if the list is updated nightly, but it is on the sheet with everyone's names.

Some people use their OBC to pay their autotips.

We always have a balcony cabin but RC won't combine Diamond plus balcony discount with OBC so i negotiate hard with my TA and they pay the prepaid tips for me out of their TA allowance.

Additionally we give up to $200 cash tips on a 7 night cruise.

I used to leave them on when I first started cruising but not anymore. After hearing so many people saying they have removed them it was enough for me to do likewise. Why u should I subsidise wages if of others don't?

I tip as I see fit in cash at the end of the cruise.

If everyone removed the auto grats maybe it would make the cruise lines act. They need to deploy a system that ensures the staff get a fair wage and also that it is a level playing field for the passengers. Tips should be discretionary.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Forums mobile app

As for paying grats upfront??? I don't nip in my local restaurant on a Tuesday and tip them for the meal I am having on Friday. I will tip after if I am happy. If the waiter wants to share with the chef that's up to them.

A cruise ship is not a restaurant.......... :rolleyes:

I used to leave them on when I first started cruising but not anymore. After hearing so many people saying they have removed them it was enough for me to do likewise. Why u should I subsidise wages if of others don't?

I tip as I see fit in cash at the end of the cruise.

If everyone removed the auto grats maybe it would make the cruise lines act. They need to deploy a system that ensures the staff get a fair wage and also that it is a level playing field for the passengers. Tips should be discretionary.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Forums mobile app

I hear what you are saying and probably a mandatory service charge eg $10 per person per night would mean the scallywags could not stop their tips on the last night and would be fair to the crew and also us genuine people who pay upfront or autogratuity.

Any cash tips given would be at the passengers discretion.

As for paying grats upfront??? I don't nip in my local restaurant on a Tuesday and tip them for the meal I am having on Friday. I will tip after if I am happy. If the waiter wants to share with the chef that's up to them.

This is the perfect example.

Oh here have a good chunk of extra money in your pocket in the hopes I might get better service but even if it's terrible you can keep it anyway :rolleyes:

We leave the Optional Resort Fee (I mean, Auto Grats) on. Just easier.

Actually you hit it, it is similar to the "resort fees" now being charged by many hotels in holiday destinations. And in most cases, I cannot see that I get ANYTHING for this extra fee. At least on a cruise I know it is going to the workers.

A way to lower the advertised price to entice people to stay there. Cruise lines are the same. If RCI raised the price by the amount of the grats, then a number of people would pick another cruise line that did not bundle this into their cruise price.

And it not limited to cruising and resorts. Airlines unbundled luggage fees to lower fares.

And SouthWest used to advertise only the airfare, and no fees and taxes, which can get close to 50% of the cost of the ticket. It took an actual act of Congress (law passed) to stop that practice.

It is a cost of the desired service. If you don't want to pay them, and have the cruise line pay their people better directly, there are a number of luxury cruise lines that do that. Cruise on them.

Some people use their OBC to pay their autotips.

We always have a balcony cabin but RC won't combine Diamond plus balcony discount with OBC so i negotiate hard with my TA and they pay the prepaid tips for me out of their TA allowance.

Additionally we give up to $200 cash tips on a 7 night cruise.

That's smart, then it's a win win! 😉

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app

This is the perfect example.

Oh here have a good chunk of extra money in your pocket in the hopes I might get better service but even if it's terrible you can keep it anyway :rolleyes:

The restaurant don't know you are coming to eat until you do.

It is a totally different ball game on a ship and along with several thousand others you know what to expect regarding tips.

We prepay and it is in pounds sterling in the Uk so no extra currency exchange.

Before tips were automatically charged to your account cruisers were given 4 envelopes for tips to be given out at the end of the cruise. One was for housekeeping/butler, head waiter, asst. waiter and restaurant manager. Now that the gratuities are automatically added who receives these tips? Back when there were envelopes was there tip sharing so that all of the behind the scenes staff got tipped? Does anybody feel service was better when the tip amount was more discretionary?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, I have to say I think service was better before the prepaid gratuity was instituted. Not that the service is bad, per se, but it was a higher level.

Seriously, why would staff "hate" passengers who choose to tip in cash? This makes no sense, because if you are on the "list" the entire cruise, and you go the next to the last day and remove the tips, now the staff will only possibly know on the day of disembarktion or later that night, so they will hate you then? The staff will never know if you are going to remove it or not. The whole notion of a "list" and giving it to the staff is stupid because you never know when a passenger is going to make a decision to change it, or not.

Let's face it, if you are going to not tip, you're not going to, regardless of whether it was the older way with the envelopes or you take it off auto-pay.

Do I tip my waitress or waiter BEFORE I eat my meal at a restaurant or BEFORE I get my hair cut or BEFORE I get my nails done? NO. Why do people get so upset for tipping AFTER the service has been performed, as it is with every other industry where a tip is applicable? The whole point of a TIP is additional monies for performance of a service. There is no other industry where you tip before the service is performed. Why should you be shamed or forced to do so on a cruise? This is ridiculous.

My husband and I tip all the time and tip very generously when the service is warranted. I have done both, I have left the prepaid tips and I have removed them and tip in cash.

Regardless, my finances, my business, not anyone else's, no one on this board and not Royal Caribbean.