Puerto Rico will be out of power for 4-6 MONTHS

gardn198

I'm sure that San Juan will have power restored rather quickly but many rural areas may have to wait 6 months or more. After Katrina the French Quarter in New Orleans got power back quickly but some areas of New Orleans did not have power back 9 months later.

They had a crumbling, failing system to begin with, and regularly experienced outages, with massive billion dollar debt. I hate to say it but this storm is the answer to their prayers. Washington will be sending much money to get everything in order...

And people are correct. San Juan will get power relatively quickly.

Answer to their prayers? The issue of their debt was based on corruption. And then to beat all they made PR. A tax haven for some US corps. Tax free on capital Gains.[emoji849][emoji849][emoji849].

I do hope that the funds go where they need to go. Meanwhile I have many friends that have small businesses involving tourism that don't have income coming in[emoji22], since IRMA.

It will take a long time to put things in order sort of speak. Most structures are still standing, thank God, but there has been a lot of flooding.

There is a long history of the woes of Puerto Rico.

Anyhow, if The metro area receives power within I will be greatly surprised.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk75e9a534f9563916bf8add7f39fd2338.jpg

It is the worst hurricane to hit Puerto Rico in 90 years and they say it is a disaster.

In terms of power they are estimating that all power will not be restored for six months. Some would be up sooner rather then later but they are talking about the entire island.

Keith

It is the worst hurricane to hit Puerto Rico in 90 years and they say it is a disaster.

In terms of power they are estimating that all power will not be restored for six months. Some would be up sooner rather then later but they are talking about the entire island.

Keith

Yes Keith, an ex Supervisor, who now lives in the US, is from PR, so is her cell. The company does not have service. It's shut down. It's really hard when you just want to be sure your close friends and family are ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...and the moon is made of green cheese.

Parts of PR may be without power for extended periods of time, but the populated areas, those with dense population and factories, businesses, shops, etc will have power available within a reasonable period.

You're right. Some people just believe everything the news media reports. No way San Juan is powerless for 6 months.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You're right. Some people just believe everything the news media reports. No way San Juan is powerless for 6 months.

Again....It was a quote from the mayor of San Juan. Stop blaming the media or people that watch news reports. :evilsmile: Possibly the mayor was wrong but nothing to do with the media.

The cruise ships keep close tabs on what's going on with their ports and they won't be returning to San Juan until things are reasonably squared away they're not going to dump a bunch of people on shore and have the people stand there and go now what do we do

First it was Puerto Rico, will be without Power for 4-6 months. San Juan is the capital of Puerto Rico, and having lived there and been without power for 3-4days from a rain storm. Yeap it's possible. Puerto Rico, San Juan will probably be on grid in a month. That's the official word given to federal employees.

First it was Puerto Rico, will be without Power for 4-6 months. San Juan is the capital of Puerto Rico, and having lived there and been without power for 3-4days from a rain storm. Yeap it's possible. Puerto Rico, San Juan will probably be on grid in a month. That's the official word given to federal employees.

Good point...tourism is a huge part of their economy so they will try everything in their power to get that infrastructure up and running...

Again....It was a quote from the mayor of San Juan. Stop blaming the media or people that watch news reports. :evilsmile: Possibly the mayor was wrong but nothing to do with the media.

It is a disaster for sure, great damage but the media does sensationalise. The mayor may have said it but that does not make it true. In the context of the damage she may be overwhelmed. I am skeptical that San Juan will be withoiut power for many months. Puerto Rico is a US territory. Disasters are a reason we have government. If power can't be restored in a few weeks none can say America is great..........

It is a disaster for sure, great damage but the media does sensationalise. The mayor may have said it but that does not make it true. In the context of the damage she may be overwhelmed. I am skeptical that San Juan will be withoiut power for many months. Puerto Rico is a US territory. Disasters are a reason we have government. If power can't be restored in a few weeks none can say America is great..........

It's that bad, I am relying on the reports of locals.

There are two things PR has to get running ASAP: 1) the airport, and 2) the marine port. Without those, PR will not function and cannot rebuild. These are the same two things Carnival and RCI need to keep their ships homeported in PR. RCI announced today that Adventure will resume her San Juan departures starting on Wednesday 9/27. I think they are rushing things - I wouldn't want to go on that cruise, or the one after it. But it does show that RCI plans to resume San Juan departures within days.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Forums mobile app

I don't know at what point a cruise ship loads up on "provisions" for the trip. Would it be done in San Juan or before? If the former, I wonder pwhat the challenges are at the port, in light of the storm.

All "food" provisions are only taken on in home

Ports.

There are only 15 power plants in all of Puerto Rico. The widespread downed power lines will have tripped the plants offline, and the power company will start from the plants and disconnect all lines until they can determine where the first breaks are, and then start powering up section by section. Yes, rural Puerto Rico may be without power for 4-6 months, but I would doubt that San Juan will be out of service that long, since two large plants are right around the city, and the vast majority of the power plants (all the big ones) are clustered in the eastern part of the island. Now, having said that, the Puerto Rico power company is basically bankrupt, but I believe they can benefit from some massive Federal relief money to greatly improve their power infrastructure.

That's not entirely correct. Depending on what they have for blackstart capibility and cranking paths between plants for startups. You also dont have to work from the plants out to the distribution ( and you typically dont) you can actually start at the 69kv substations and feed into the 12kv with generators. It all depends on what targets came in on the relaying and such. You usually create many small islands and then connect those islands to create stability for frequency and load. Typically you want a large generator for the rotating mass and several smaller units that can ramp up and down quickly.

NERC certified system operator speaking from experience here. Former merchant mariner as well ;)

What is going to make this MUCH worse is that Puerto Rico is NOT getting a waiver for the Jones Act like Florida and Texas got.

So supplies will get there slower.

I know this board should not be political, but the administration is not treating fellow Americans equally in the face of much more damage and suffering.

Time to call people.

What is going to make this MUCH worse is that Puerto Rico is NOT getting a waiver for the Jones Act like Florida and Texas got.

So supplies will get there slower.

I know this board should not be political, but the administration is not treating fellow Americans equally in the face of much more damage and suffering.

Time to call people.

The problem is not the administration, it is that no one has requested a Jones Act waiver. The only one that was granted recently was for a New Orleans refinery to move as much product as they could, since they were the only Gulf coast refinery still open. They had to request the waiver, and used exactly one foreign flag ship. Florida requested a waiver, and it was granted, but way too late for anything other than PR reasons, as no foreign flag ship could have brought gasoline to Florida before the storm. There were, in fact, US flag tankers at Florida ports right up until the ports closed, and there were 6 of them stacked up waiting for the ports to reopen.

It requires the governor of Puerto Rico, or major corporations that bring supplies into Puerto Rico to request the waiver, which is granted to those entities, it isn't a blanket thing.

Another overlooked fact is that much of what the US considers to be "US consumer goods" come from overseas, and any shipping into Puerto Rico from overseas is not governed by the Jones Act. A recent NYT article states that repealing the Jones Act would open Puerto Rico to "international oil markets" crucial to operating their power plants. Bunk. The power companies can already import oil from overseas on foreign flag ships (as anything shipped from overseas to the US is not Jones Act regulated cargo), and Venezuelan fuel oil is the same price as Houston fuel oil, and the distance to ship it is 1/3 of that from Houston, and you can use a foreign flag ship.

The problem is not the administration, it is that no one has requested a Jones Act waiver. The only one that was granted recently was for a New Orleans refinery to move as much product as they could, since they were the only Gulf coast refinery still open. They had to request the waiver, and used exactly one foreign flag ship. Florida requested a waiver, and it was granted, but way too late for anything other than PR reasons, as no foreign flag ship could have brought gasoline to Florida before the storm. There were, in fact, US flag tankers at Florida ports right up until the ports closed, and there were 6 of them stacked up waiting for the ports to reopen.

It requires the governor of Puerto Rico, or major corporations that bring supplies into Puerto Rico to request the waiver, which is granted to those entities, it isn't a blanket thing.

Another overlooked fact is that much of what the US considers to be "US consumer goods" come from overseas, and any shipping into Puerto Rico from overseas is not governed by the Jones Act. A recent NYT article states that repealing the Jones Act would open Puerto Rico to "international oil markets" crucial to operating their power plants. Bunk. The power companies can already import oil from overseas on foreign flag ships (as anything shipped from overseas to the US is not Jones Act regulated cargo), and Venezuelan fuel oil is the same price as Houston fuel oil, and the distance to ship it is 1/3 of that from Houston, and you can use a foreign flag ship.

That's not true. US Representative Nydia M. Velázquez, one of Puerto Rico's representatives, requested it on September 25th. She led the members of Congress in writing a letter to Homeland Security to waive it. She requested a waiver of one year.

That's not true. US Representative Nydia M. Velázquez, one of Puerto Rico's representatives, requested it on September 25th. She led the members of Congress in writing a letter to Homeland Security to waive it. She requested a waiver of one year.

Okay, wasn't aware of that. No reason it shouldn't be granted then. But, as its only been two days since, it may still be in the works.

Okay, wasn't aware of that. No reason it shouldn't be granted then. But, as its only been two days since, it may still be in the works.

The request was denied yesterday. It's in the news that Florida and Texas got the waiver, but Puerto Rico did not.

Terrible