New Cunard Ship coming in 2022

omah1975

Like many here, I wasn't the impressed by the first "artist's impression" of the new ship. However, I think we will all have to face the economics of the ocean voyage industry at some time. Surely cruise prices are still at historically low levels in real terms? (I can't prove that statistically but it is the way it feels. There is no way we could have afforded transatlantic fares back in the good old days and QE2 was always an impossible dream right up there with Concorde). So I am grateful I can now afford to go and maybe the design of ships is the compromise to pay?

Some other comments here surprise me a bit. I am sorry but I don't find the appearance of QM2 to be particularly "sleek". She is one great big chunk of metal! The hull, for example rises very high and creates a slab of "black": for very good reasons! But she is very elegant inside (after the latest refit). And I have been on Celebrity's Solstice class and didn't miss the promenade deck one little bit. Which just goes to show how different various people's likes and requirements are, I suppose.

Now, at the risk of getting well and truly flamed, I will say that (for my money) the prettiest cruise ships afloat are the Disney Magic and Wonder. They were designed as tributes to liners of the past and feature proper promenade decks with wooden loungers! If you can ignore the Mickey Ears on the funnel, they look almost more Cunard than Cunard!? Disney has continued that practice even with its larger (and to my eyes less elegant) ships, which also feature a promenade deck with suspended lifeboats etc. But I am also sure that there are cost implications: Disney cruise prices anyone? There are no doubt other reasons why Cunard stalwarts would dislike Disney. I am afraid we enjoy both: in different ways.

Queen Alexandra was my first thought for a name.

I just wondered what you think of this price, picked up by coach in my Lancashire town, transported to a Manchester airport hotel, evening buffet, bed and breakfast, taken to the airport for morning flight to New York on Concorde, due to arriving in New York early, the full party taken around the high lights of the city, we stayed at the Helmsley for four nights room only, then to the port and boarded QE2 for a five nights sail home and taken to home to Lancashire by coach. This was our first cruise, since then we have done another 50 with Cunard. This was Aug '96 the cost approx £1950. each. The T/A chartered Concorde and purchased approx 50 cabins from Cunard. Would have loved the chance to do it again.

I wonder what the cost would be now?;)

The Mary I referred to was not Mary Queen of Scots, it was Mary, daughter of James the II (VI of Scotland) who ruled after the "Glorious Revolution" as co monarch with William of Orange, whose reign is referred to as the reign of William and Mary.
Teddy is referring to " bloody Mary" daughter of henry 8th who slaughtered any of her subjects who were not catholic,nice lady lol.

Teddy is referring to " bloody Mary" daughter of henry 8th who slaughtered any of her subjects who were not catholic,nice lady lol.

I chose a later Mary, because Bloody Mary was such a nasty piece of work, although she was a Queen in her own right. So I guess we can debate whether the Original Cunard Queens Mary and Elizabeth were named for those queens or more likely the Queens Consort, Mary wife of King George V, or Elizabeth wife of King George VI. Both were involved with the original ships.

According to legend when King George V was told by Cunard that they wanted to name their new ship after Britain's "greatest Queen", the King commented that he could not wait to get back to the Palace to tell his wife, Mary that Cunard were going to name the ship after her. Cunard officials have denied this story.

I still think the new ship will be Queen Anne.

Guest SilverHengroen
I highly doubt that seeing as P&O already have a Britannia.

Speaking of which I think the royal class that Britannia is based off of would potentially be a better fit for Cunard’s new ship, it has a much cleaner and more balanced profile (no ‘forehead’ of stacked decks above the bridge) and even two funnels!

It is a fair bit larger (around the same tonnage as QM2) but I think the flagship demonstrates that size of ship works perfectly well with Cunard’s style.

Trivia question ... How many ships were in simultaneous service within the Cunard fleet when it was at its largest? ...

There is a list of the Cunard fleet past, present and future on their Wikipedia page here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cunard_Line ...

Still working on this but you only need to go back to the mid-nineties to find twelve ships.

In 1976 finds they had 74 (although only three were passenger ships) with a further 4 under construction.

If I find a higher figure I'll let you know.

Colin.

To add to the figures above:

The Cunard group entered WWII with a fleet of 78 ships.

The other number I have come across is that they came out of WWI having lost 45 ships, 56% of their tonnage. Suggesting the fleet at the start of WWI may have been larger.

So who has sailed on the most Cunard ships?

I'll start the bidding at ten, but I'm sure that will be beaten.

Colin.

As is often the case, I asked what seemed liked it might be a fairly simple question, but it isn't quite so simple after all. It just goes to show how blissfully uninformed I have been about Cunard's history. I did not know Cunard was so heavily into the cargo business, so the answer to my open-ended question about Cunard "ships" in general must necessarily involve a full accounting of the entire fleet as Colin has so kindly undertaken.

But even if we narrow my question to Cunard "passenger ships", it would appear there is still room for ambiguity concerning whether or not we should count the ships acquired from White Star Line as part of the Cunard-White Star merger in 1934.

If we only count the passenger ships listed in the "Cunard Line" wikipedia article mentioned by omah1975, then the answer I come up with is that the largest number of passenger ships Cunard has had in service at any one time is either 18 or 19 (during the year 1925). Whether my answer is 18 or 19 depends on whether RMS Saxonia left service in 1925 before or after all three of the RMS Ascania, RMS Alaunia, and RMS Carinthia entered service in 1925. I can't find a specific date for when RMS Saxonia left service in 1925.

In any event, this has helped me add some historical context to the current discussion about the Cunard fleet expanding from three to four ships in 2022.

Concerning Colin's question as to who has sailed on the most Cunard ships, I'm afraid I can only count the last four in service (QE2, QM2, QV, and QE). If I can count simply being "on" any of those ships, then I can add the original Queen Elizabeth during a tour while she was in port in New York back in 1960 and a stay on the Queen Mary Hotel in Long Beach in 2008. But that's stretching things quite a bit and is still a far cry from 10 or more.

Regards,

John

Guest SilverHengroen
As is often the case, I asked what seemed liked it might be a fairly simple question, but it isn't quite so simple after all. It just goes to show how blissfully uninformed I have been about Cunard's history. I did not know Cunard was so heavily into the cargo business, so the answer to my open-ended question about Cunard "ships" in general must necessarily involve a full accounting of the entire fleet as Colin has so kindly undertaken.

But even if we narrow my question to Cunard "passenger ships", it would appear there is still room for ambiguity concerning whether or not we should count the ships acquired from White Star Line as part of the Cunard-White Star merger in 1934.

If we only count the passenger ships listed in the "Cunard Line" wikipedia article mentioned by omah1975, then the answer I come up with is that the largest number of passenger ships Cunard has had in service at any one time is either 18 or 19 (during the year 1925). Whether my answer is 18 or 19 depends on whether RMS Saxonia left service in 1925 before or after all three of the RMS Ascania, RMS Alaunia, and RMS Carinthia entered service in 1925. I can't find a specific date for when RMS Saxonia left service in 1925.

In any event, this has helped me add some historical context to the current discussion about the Cunard fleet expanding from three to four ships in 2022.

Concerning Colin's question as to who has sailed on the most Cunard ships, I'm afraid I can only count the last four in service (QE2, QM2, QV, and QE). If I can count simply being "on" any of those ships, then I can add the original Queen Elizabeth during a tour while she was in port in New York back in 1960 and a stay on the Queen Mary Hotel in Long Beach in 2008. But that's stretching things quite a bit and is still a far cry from 10 or more.

Regards,

John

I was looking for another picture (which shows fewer ships) but stumbled across this:

http://transpressnz.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/the-cunard-fleet-poster-late-1940s.html

Provided link as not sure of copyright on posting the image on here directly.

To add to the figures above:

The Cunard group entered WWII with a fleet of 78 ships.

The other number I have come across is that they came out of WWI having lost 45 ships, 56% of their tonnage. Suggesting the fleet at the start of WWI may have been larger.

So who has sailed on the most Cunard ships?

I'll start the bidding at ten, but I'm sure that will be beaten.

Colin.

Hi,

I'm impressed that you have sailed on 10 Cunard ships. Could you let us know which ships you sailed aboard? This is difficult to beat. I have sailed on six Cunard ships: QE2, Sagafjord, Vistafjord and the three current ships.

Also, I have stayed aboard the original Queen Mary in Long Beach multiple times. In 1989, I did a 12-day Scandinavia/Russia cruise on the original Dawn Princess (former Sylvania). Of course, Sitmar removed all traces of Cunard when they converted this ship to the Fairwind.

I think the name of the new ship most likely will be Queen Anne.

Chuck

Regards,

John

And to further "muddy" the waters, Cunard's cargo ships carried passengers as well. I am so confused.........To quote Vinny Barbarino.:eek::cool:

I just wondered what you think of this price, picked up by coach in my Lancashire town, transported to a Manchester airport hotel, evening buffet, bed and breakfast, taken to the airport for morning flight to New York on Concorde, due to arriving in New York early, the full party taken around the high lights of the city, we stayed at the Helmsley for four nights room only, then to the port and boarded QE2 for a five nights sail home and taken to home to Lancashire by coach. This was our first cruise, since then we have done another 50 with Cunard. This was Aug '96 the cost approx £1950. each. The T/A chartered Concorde and purchased approx 50 cabins from Cunard. Would have loved the chance to do it again.

I wonder what the cost would be now?;)

Using RPI, that would be about £3500 per person. I am guessing that this was a bit of a bargain back then. However, An October 2017 T/A can be had for around £1500 per person including flights in a guaranteed balcony cabin. Lowest fare for BZ £1729. You can get Queen's Grill Eastbound in November for £2299. Of course, that won't be Concorde!! I guess a New York hotel room could run $1000 plus for four nights.

Guest SilverHengroen

Anyone want to speculate how long until more info might be made public? I’m guessing there’s not a lot to say until they start locking in design choices...

Guest SilverHengroen
The naming (and other details of interest) won't be revealed for at least two years I'd guess.

Yes it’s very interesting they’ve announced this so early and development is taking such a long time - QM2 from project start to delivery was approximately 5 years (1998-2003) I believe! Considering they aren’t starting from scratch here that’s a long lead in...

Can we assume it will be a Cruise Ship rather than an Ocean Liner? I'm hoping for Old School.

Yes it looks to be based of Holland-America’s Pinnacle class (Koningsdam and Nieuw Statendam)

Edited by SilverHengroen
Avoid double post

I was looking for another picture (which shows fewer ships) but stumbled across this:

http://transpressnz.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/the-cunard-fleet-poster-late-1940s.html

Provided link as not sure of copyright on posting the image on here directly.

And to further "muddy" the waters, Cunard's cargo ships carried passengers as well. I am so confused.........To quote Vinny Barbarino.:eek::cool:

Thanks for posting the link to that Cunard Line poster of "The Largest Passenger Fleet on the Atlantic". I believe I have seen that poster before but had forgotten about it. It shows a fleet of these 23 ships.

Alsatia, Andria, Arabia, Ascania, Asia, Assyria, Brescia, Britannic, Carinthia, Caronia, Franconia, Ivernia, Lycia, Mauretania, Media, Parthia, Pavia, Phrygia, Queen Elizabeth, Queen Mary, Saxonia, Scythia, and Sylvania.

I think this does qualify as muddying the waters though (as Jim Avery mentioned) since that list includes cargo ships that also were able to carry a few passengers. I find it interesting that the site "maritimematters.com" has an article titled "ANDRIA & ALSATIA Cunard’s Forgotten Beauties" which states "... these fast cargo ships would have fit nicely beside the crack liners of the passenger fleet, but never saw a paying passenger come on board, although they were certainly equipped for it."

So once again my seemingly simple question becomes even murkier now since it depends on what we decide to include as a Cunard "passenger ship".

By the way, I was able to find a source that says the earlier Saxonia was actually laid up in November, 1924 so I will revise my previous answer of "18 or 19" for the largest size of Cunard's passenger fleet (which was based on the "Cunard Line" wikipedia article) to just "18" (during the years 1925-1930).

Regards,

John

Edited by bluemarble

Could you let us know which ships you sailed aboard?

I know there are others here who have been sailing much longer than I have so there must be some with broader Cunard experience?

Cunard Princess (now Golden Iris)

Sagafjord

Vistafjord/Caronia

Cunard Crown Dynasty (now Fred Olsen's Braemar)

QE2

Sea Goddess II (now Seadream II)

Cunard Royal Viking Sun (now HAL's Prinsendam)

Queen Mary 2

Queen Victoria

Queen Elizabeth

Stays at Hotel Queen Mary don't really count (or that would make make 11:D)

Regards, Colin.

I'm rather surprised by this news, I wonder what they will call her.

http://www.cunard.co.uk/cruise-ships/new-ship/

In as much as the "new Queen Victoria when launched had no dressers in the stateroom she immediately became known as the queen with no drawers. Maybe based on the rendering of this new ship it could be called the queen of "flats" Sure has that floating apartment look. Not at all a real "ship"

In as much as the "new Queen Victoria when launched had no dressers in the stateroom she immediately became known as the queen with no drawers. Maybe based on the rendering of this new ship it could be called the queen of "flats" Sure has that floating apartment look. Not at all a real "ship"

I disagree. She will be still a real ship. Only that she will not be a real Transatlantic Liner. She will probably do 1 or 2 transatlantic crossings per year like the Queen Victoria & Queen Elizabeth and that's it.

2c742ac637e855ca2078e4f05d0096eb.jpg port side prediction!

As much as we would love to see another Cunard Ocean Liner on the transatlantic run, The sad truth is that the transatlantic crossing market can only support one ship the QM2. The Pinnacle Class Cruise Ship design which is based on the Vista Class Cruise Ship is only about 11 feet longer and about 8.5 feet wider than the Cunard Vistas is not really bad looking. Anyway another new Cunard Cruise Ship Queen is better than no new ship at all. Regards,Jerry