On Harmony Now....Three Words......

Sascol

Thanks Bob! I usually also cruise first part of December (and am on Brilliance 12/11) but threw this Oasis additional cruise in last minute due to losing out on our Florida Keys trip in November. Poor people down there (including my sister) are still cleaning up from the disaster. :(

We get off of Brilliance 12/11 [emoji33]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

LOTS OF KIDS!

We travel in the fall. Mainly for two reasons:

1- The most important- it's our anniversary

2- To avoid cruising with lots of kids/families

While I am sure it is not even close to cruising in the summer months, there are SO many more kids on this ship than we are used to. Many of them American kids. Should they not be in school? The majority are well behaved but a few are making the occasional scene. Why so many kids on an October cruise? Like nothing we have ever seen.

As others said Columbus day, Fall break and cheaper Fall cruises. In Michigan where I live most school now start before Labor Day. The year round schools in AZ(where I also live) school yr started July 17, this is their 2 weeks off for Fall break, 1st quarter school yr over. Yr round schools here gets 2 weeks off Fall, 3 for Xmas, 2 for Spring and 6 wks Summer Break. If wanted less kids go on smaller ship that does 10+ nite cruises like I do. Oasis class is the kid/family fun class...

Kids on cruise ships never bother me (I'm not a parent). I'd rather see them on cruises actually learning to be social and have an expanded mind than in school doing whatever it is they pretend to do there.

Glad parents are expanding their horizons, even if it's only a cruise vacation.

I’m on this same sailing. There are plenty of kids but I haven’t noticed abundantly more kids than usual. We have sailed in early November, and mid May.

I’ll second the sentiments about the solarium, though. That place is a ghost town.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I noticed that there are a lot more Europeans and South Americans on the ship this week. Then has been the last 3 weeks. [emoji848]

There is a European break right now. Captain Johnny had many fellow countrymen on the ship with him last week on Harmony.

I've been told I was never a kid....old soul.

:) That's a nicer reason than why I was never a kid. Being a kid of an alcoholic will take the childhood right out of ya.

Kids on cruise ships never bother me (I'm not a parent). I'd rather see them on cruises actually learning to be social and have an expanded mind than in school doing whatever it is they pretend to do there.

Love the way you think!!!

Schools are closed for Columbus Day so parents only took them out of school for 4 days, and I think its so wrong.

You think it's wrong to maximize a break like that? Hmm.

Some schools across the country go to school all year with mini breaks throughout the year.

Yep!

This is Fall Break (week off school) for the kids in our area and probably across America!!!

Not across America. There's no one set series of breaks. Districts vary wildly. We have "mid winter break" in February. And other things scattered around. Except that we moved and are now in a tiny district that's different than the bigger district 5 minutes away. And then there are the religious schools.

FALL BREAK? School just started here abut 4 weeks ago!!! We don't start until AFTER Labor Day.

That's your school system. Other systems vary.

We were on in Feb., not any school holiday and were amazed at the number of children on board. We couldn't enjoy a quiet meal in Coastal Kitchen for all the children. After cruising HOTS and Allure in the past year and Oasis a few years ago, we will not book on Oasis class ships again. Unlike most of our cruising friends, we do not care for this class ship Just too many people!

February is the time for a holiday in many districts. That there's no break in your area means nothing. :)

I was on Allure this past spring break and was worried about the kid factor since I have 2 special needs kids. We had a great time and had only 1 issue of teens sitting in the elevator hogging it. Other than that it was a great cruise and not worrying about our next spring break cruise in 2019.

I know the ships are full of kids during Thanksgiving week, but are they back in school the week after?

Just curious as I am boarding Oasis on 11/26, that Sunday after turkey day.

I don't usually cruise during that time of the year.

Different ship but we cruised on NCL Breakaway out of NYC that same week, Sunday after Thanksgiving and it was so crowded with families... couldn't believe it.

Last year was Thanksgiving week on Anthem, very crowded; expected that, but it wasn't bad at all and able to find seats either in the Solarium or indoor pool.

Have cruised out of Bayonne many times, cruise around May 6 on the 9 day cruises, and not too crowded with very few kids. My grandson was the only 'under 3' child when we took him to group play.

Seven day cruises in 'off' seasons seem to have more families than longer cruises at the same time. Many more families take their children out of school now. Schools seem to accommodate them with planning for the time they will be away too.

Last night we had our first real issue. We had dinner at Chops at 8:30. Many, many children under the age of 5. Of course after 10 minutes at that hour they get cranky. Lots of yelling, running, no parental control. Hate to sound like an old grump but please control your children in situations like this. No reason for a 2 year old to be in Chops at 9:00. Very discouraging.

Last night we had our first real issue. We had dinner at Chops at 8:30. Many, many children under the age of 5. Of course after 10 minutes at that hour they get cranky. Lots of yelling, running, no parental control. Hate to sound like an old grump but please control your children in situations like this. No reason for a 2 year old to be in Chops at 9:00. Very discouraging.

That would be a issue for sure. But its the parents fault not the child's. If a child can not sit in their seat and be quiet with a ipad or book or some entertainment one parent or both should leave. Its not the place for them.

I have kids who eat at Chops. My kids have eaten out their whole lives, I am not a great cook and I hate to cook. Even at under 5 there is a certain level of behavior that should be expected. At under 5 mine could not sit thru a 2 hour dinner so until they could behave they didn't get to go to Chops I think they where like 8 and 6 before they got the joy of Chops.

That would be a issue for sure. But its the parents fault not the child's. If a child can not sit in their seat and be quiet with a ipad or book or some entertainment one parent or both should leave. Its not the place for them.

I have kids who eat at Chops. My kids have eaten out their whole lives, I am not a great cook and I hate to cook. Even at under 5 there is a certain level of behavior that should be expected. At under 5 mine could not sit thru a 2 hour dinner so until they could behave they didn't get to go to Chops I think they where like 8 and 6 before they got the joy of Chops.

Spot on. Some people get it.

On Harmony as well and I don't think there is an overwhelming amount of kids. Especially not compared to a July sailing. I would agree that the parenting is generally pretty bad, though I've noticed more issues with adults. Mostly south Americans and Europeans who don't seem to understand even the basics of social interaction, courtesy, and manners.

On Harmony as well and I don't think there is an overwhelming amount of kids. Especially not compared to a July sailing. I would agree that the parenting is generally pretty bad, though I've noticed more issues with adults. Mostly south Americans and Europeans who don't seem to understand even the basics of social interaction, courtesy, and manners.

Oh my gosh there are so many kids. Less than a July cruise sure, but even if it's 10% (just a guess) that is so many more than any other October Caribbean cruise we have ever taken. Again, we expected more due to the ship, but not this many more.

Had another "issue" with a wild child in Jamie's last night but thankfully he left about 15 minutes after we were seated.

Oh my gosh there are so many kids. Less than a July cruise sure, but even if it's 10% (just a guess) that is so many more than any other October Caribbean cruise we have ever taken. Again, we expected more due to the ship, but not this many more.

Had another "issue" with a wild child in Jamie's last night but thankfully he left about 15 minutes after we were seated.

You sure like Jamie's! The children don't bother me, it's the parents that do. The parents who decided to throw a little Fiesta in the solarium at 4pm today and turn the misting tree into a splash pad for their 2 children.... But I honestly blame royal the most for not enforcing anything, ever. All in all its been an outstanding cruise though. People always suck, you get used to it!

There are many promotions now for kids to sail free:( so many more kids are on the cruises when you least expected them!

I brought my kids... We booked before sail free but did take advantage of the price drop.

Let's say the ship is sailing at close to full passenger capacity, which is 6318 passengers.....so if it has 6000, then 10% is 600. That really is a small amount of children spread over the size and variety of activities onboard. We sailed on Navigator over Thanksgiving week, and Navigators max is 3840 (and we were at max capacity - the captain said) and had 1150 kids and less activities for the kids overall (no waterslides especially). Did we see them...yes, were they unruly, not really. The biggest problem was the dining room....it was so packed that there was very little walking room between the tables -- for both staff and passengers.

We expected lots of children; we have sailed that week many times....it is when we can get away.