WJ Buffet or Dining Room for lunch

No, not the same food.

For example, you can normally get Eggs Benedict in the dining room, and while I've seen some Windjammers have that, it's not normally an option in WJ.

Lunch in the dining room offers a large salad bar (Tutti Salad), plus made to order selections, one of which is a very nice steak sandwich.

My advice is to try all the options and see what you like best. Lunch in the dining room is normally only on sea days.

My experience on Cruises is that I hate fighting for a table at the buffets at breakfast. If I am in no rush to be someplace, I will do the dining rooms. At least that has been my experience on other cruise lines, not sure about Royal, but doing our first cruise with them in a couple of weeks. One of the pleasures I have is having a nice, leisurely breakfast, being waited on and getting good fresh food.

Lately, we prefer the MDR for lunch & breakfast. As others have said, especially on Oasis class, the "Tutti" salad bar is my first choice. By the way, you can have the salad bar and order from the menu. MDR on Oasis class has a nice selection of breakfast items presented on a buffet type tables.

No, not the same food.

For example, you can normally get Eggs Benedict in the dining room, and while I've seen some Windjammers have that, it's not normally an option in WJ.

Lunch in the dining room offers a large salad bar (Tutti Salad), plus made to order selections, one of which is a very nice steak sandwich.

My advice is to try all the options and see what you like best. Lunch in the dining room is normally only on sea days.

Was a bit sad I couldn't get Eggs Benedict on Anthem in the MDR on disembarkation day...the menu just had a few basics. However the WJ did have Eggs Benedict with ham or Salmon every morning (not sure about disembarkation day).

... However the WJ did have Eggs Benedict with ham or Salmon every morning (not sure about disembarkation day).

I like that! I cannot remember which ship, might have been Brilliance, but they also had Eggs Benedict in WJ. However, I don't see that often.

Much preferred breakfast in the Main Dining Room when we didn't have a shore excursion/other plans. I felt the food quality was better than Windjammer overall, and frankly I just like the more relaxed atmosphere and being served at my seat than having to get my own food.

As others have suggested, definitely try both because it really does come down to personal preference. I like the MDR for breakfast because of not having to hunt/fight for a table but I prefer the buffet section to the à la carte. I am not a big eater so the smaller MDR buffet suits me perfectly. DH, on the other hand, prefers the more extensive choice offered at the WJ.

Food-wise I can't say I have noticed much difference but I do think the coffee is much better in the MDR.

Unfortunately we have only once made it to the MDR for lunch as it closes too early for us, so that is something to bear in mind if you tend to eat later (I think it usually closes at about 1.15/1.30.

Edited by FionaMG
Added info.

We much prefer the MDR for breakfast. For me, the WJ wasn't worth getting up for; I always asked my husband to bring me back fruit and a muffin. However, I have no problem getting up to go to the MDR for breakfast--no hustle and bustle, better food, just a nicer atmosphere in general.

I like that! I cannot remember which ship, might have been Brilliance, but they also had Eggs Benedict in WJ. However, I don't see that often.

Grandeur had them several mornings in August.

Do-it-yourself. Poached eggs, toasted English muffins, and Canadian bacon, and Hollandaise sauce. All separate.

The table issue depends on what you get to WJ. Most mornings were were up moderately early, no problems finding a table. One morning we were there later, and it was a bit more jammed.

I prefer WJ for breakfast, as I like a bit of this and a bit of that. And do not like to waste food by ordering several things only eating part of each.

But sitting down and being served was nice. We were in a GS, so had option of breakfast in Giovanni's. Only did it one morning. Nice, but too formal for us for breakfast.

One sea day, did room service on the balcony. That was very nice, but not for every day.

Try every option, and see what works for you.

Grandeur had them several mornings in August.

Do-it-yourself. Poached eggs, toasted English muffins, and Canadian bacon, and Hollandaise sauce. All separate.

I've got to sail on that ship before it's gone from Baltimore.

And no, I've not heard any rumors about it leaving.

Usually MDR. We rarely go tot he WJ as its just too busy and the hassle of 'one goes for food, the other minds the table' is not worth it.

MDR is a lot more relaxing. Why scramble around a buffet when you can just sit and relax and let someone bring the food too you!

Depending on how hungry we are for Lunch its either MDR (if hungry) or grab something from the Cafe/WJ/Sorentos/hot dog stand ect and take it back to balcony or sunbed.

We will also have a room service breakfast at least once on the cruise as its lovely to enjoy on the balcony.. great way to start the day.

The table issue depends on what you get to WJ. Most mornings were were up moderately early, no problems finding a table. One morning we were there later, and it was a bit more jammed.

I prefer WJ for breakfast, as I like a bit of this and a bit of that. And do not like to waste food by ordering several things only eating part of each.

But sitting down and being served was nice. We were in a GS, so had option of breakfast in Giovanni's. Only did it one morning. Nice, but too formal for us for breakfast.

One sea day, did room service on the balcony. That was very nice, but not for every day.

Try every option, and see what works for you.

Our last 5 cruises were GS so we had breakfast everyday in either Giovanni's or Chops, most people dressed very informal, I always had a bathing suit and tank top on

We love the WJ for breakfast and lunch. Love the choices. It can be hard to get a table but it's not terrible

It can be pretty terrible finding a table on Oasis class. Better since they moved Izumi and made more space for WJ.