Live from the Regal Princess First Ocean Medallion Cruise November 13 2017

mcg1313

so, if you are in your cabin and your medallion is there also, does it keep the door unlocked? or does it lock it when you close the door....;p

are doors on ships metal?

if so my bet is that the signal wont go through the door very far into the room. but if you hang it on a hook inside your door........................................

The ***** has to be in very close proximity to the door unlock sensor for it to open. It’s the same basic concept as the Disney Magic Bands. They can track your general location throughout the property, but when using the band to make a purchase, open a door, or use a Fast Pass you basically have to be in direct contact with the device for it to operate.

So no, you sitting in your room will not allow for the door to be opened, or remain open.

We noticed that new sensor in our bathroom when on the Regal last week. It made us fell really good to know that the cruise line can keep track of our time in the bathroom! We suspect that long range planning will include an upcharge for those who overuse the bathroom.

Hank

I would be surprised based on the tech used if they could actually tell you were in the bathroom vs the main cabin portion of the room. In all likelihood the sensors were placed there to offer the best coverage of the entire cabin space due to all the metal in the walls. It’s my understanding that this type of tech gives a general position and isn’t like gps where they can literally pin point you within a few feet.

I could be wrong, but that’s my understanding of its function.

I would be surprised based on the tech used if they could actually tell you were in the bathroom vs the main cabin portion of the room. In all likelihood the sensors were placed there to offer the best coverage of the entire cabin space due to all the metal in the walls. It’s my understanding that this type of tech gives a general position and isn’t like gps where they can literally pin point you within a few feet.

I could be wrong, but that’s my understanding of its function.

I’m not sure, each sensor will have a different address on the network so my guess is they can tell If it’s the cabin or the bathroom. My thinking with it being mounted between the glass shelf in the bathroom it’s the most likely place you may leave it.

i dont understand at all how the new system will track you better than the old one. what 'activity' could you do without a card in the past that the new system will track better? when i used my own CC in the gift shop they wanted my sail card anyway. i'm assuming if i paid cash they wouldnt though.

whether soda. booze etc, you gotta use a card or the new system. i dont see this as any new data mining at all but i await enlightenment because i must be missing something.

The old system was like a credit card. No one around you has access to that info until you hand it to them and they swipe it. Now, the Medallion can give access to certain information about you to specific crew members based on your past experience and location. Its easier to understand when placed in a certain situation so heres a few for you: Lets say you only drink rum and cokes, so with the medallion on, as you approach a bar and sit down the bar tender can glance at their Ipad as you arrive and see your name and last 5 drinks ordered. They will greet you with a "Good afternoon Mr. (or Mrs.) Smith, can I make you your usual rum and coke?" Already its as if you are a regular at this bar and friends with the bartender! You dont have to take out a card or anything, the server gives you the drink, confirms your photo on the ipad is actually you with a quick glance, and hits one button to charge your stateroom.

That level of service is unprecedented so far! Like I said before, with the old system they wouldnt know who you are or your prefrences until after you have ordered and given them your card.

Imagine ordering coffee without having to tell them you are lactose intolerant and prefer soy milk, they will already know that and take care of it for you.

Or if youre sitting at the bar all alone waiting for your spouse to get dressed for dinner, the server could strike up a conversation based off the information they see on their iPad: "I saw you went on a kayak tour around the island while we were in port yesterday, how was that?"

Last one: Youre celebrating a Birthday in the family and want to order champagne for a toast while you wait in the theater for the show. In the past you would flag down a server, order and give them your card, then wait for them to come back, they'll make you sign a reciept and then hand you your drinks. Now you can either order it immidietly on your phone (under the Here and Now section of the app) and it will arrive right to your seats in a matter of minutes. Or if you plan ahead (under the Then and There section) you can specify earlier in the day you'll need 4 glasses of champagne when you head to the theater for the show. The time comes when you are walking into the theater, you find your seats, and without even thinking about it a server finds you and says, "Good evening Smith Family, I have your champagne for you. I hope you have a great Birthday Celebration and enjoy the show". So simple and so amazing.

You dont have to have a phone either, you can still flag down a waiter and verbally order, just without having to hand over a card or anything. You can also use the Here and Now or Then and There on your stateroom TV or the Large Screens in the Hallways/elevator banks, so yes, everyone should have access to it and can utilize it as much or as little as they would like.

This system simply provides unique nuggets of info at just the right time to allow for a heightened experience of personalization. Hope that explained it some.

I haven't yet been on a princess cruise but I have read that when using the princess app that notifications don't work. Since we on a, hopefully, Medallion cruise next June, I was wondering if the Medallion technology will resolve the no notifications problem?

The old system was like a credit card. No one around you has access to that info until you hand it to them and they swipe it. Now, the Medallion can give access to certain information about you to specific crew members based on your past experience and location. Its easier to understand when placed in a certain situation so heres a few for you: Lets say you only drink rum and cokes, so with the medallion on, as you approach a bar and sit down the bar tender can glance at their Ipad as you arrive and see your name and last 5 drinks ordered. They will greet you with a "Good afternoon Mr. (or Mrs.) Smith, can I make you your usual rum and coke?" Already its as if you are a regular at this bar and friends with the bartender! You dont have to take out a card or anything, the server gives you the drink, confirms your photo on the ipad is actually you with a quick glance, and hits one button to charge your stateroom.

That level of service is unprecedented so far! Like I said before, with the old system they wouldnt know who you are or your prefrences until after you have ordered and given them your card.

Imagine ordering coffee without having to tell them you are lactose intolerant and prefer soy milk, they will already know that and take care of it for you.

Or if youre sitting at the bar all alone waiting for your spouse to get dressed for dinner, the server could strike up a conversation based off the information they see on their iPad: "I saw you went on a kayak tour around the island while we were in port yesterday, how was that?"

Last one: Youre celebrating a Birthday in the family and want to order champagne for a toast while you wait in the theater for the show. In the past you would flag down a server, order and give them your card, then wait for them to come back, they'll make you sign a reciept and then hand you your drinks. Now you can either order it immidietly on your phone (under the Here and Now section of the app) and it will arrive right to your seats in a matter of minutes. Or if you plan ahead (under the Then and There section) you can specify earlier in the day you'll need 4 glasses of champagne when you head to the theater for the show. The time comes when you are walking into the theater, you find your seats, and without even thinking about it a server finds you and says, "Good evening Smith Family, I have your champagne for you. I hope you have a great Birthday Celebration and enjoy the show". So simple and so amazing.

You dont have to have a phone either, you can still flag down a waiter and verbally order, just without having to hand over a card or anything. You can also use the Here and Now or Then and There on your stateroom TV or the Large Screens in the Hallways/elevator banks, so yes, everyone should have access to it and can utilize it as much or as little as they would like.

This system simply provides unique nuggets of info at just the right time to allow for a heightened experience of personalization. Hope that explained it some.

Thank You for the above explanation. If you are not currently working for Princess, I suggest you send them a copy of this message . Better than any resume could do. Thanks, again.

Stan

I LIKED getting to know a bartender and having them remember what I drink because we've had conversations .

I know it'll seem nice that every one of them will know but it will also take away something.

I also like shopping at small stores for the same reason.

Probably the best explanation of the benefits of the program I have read.

I LIKED getting to know a bartender and having them remember what I drink because we've had conversations .

I know it'll seem nice that every one of them will know but it will also take away something.

I also like shopping at small stores for the same reason.

I fail to see how the new system would impact this. Good bartenders will always take time to know and interact with their customers, the not so good ones won’t. This simply enhances the experience when you walk up to a new bar or bartender.

We noticed that new sensor in our bathroom when on the Regal last week. It made us fell really good to know that the cruise line can keep track of our time in the bathroom! We suspect that long range planning will include an upcharge for those who overuse the bathroom.

Hank

Thank you. Laughing out loud and dog is wondering about me. We board on Sunday-no medallion. Just R & R

Thank you to everyone that has been reporting back to us. This really has been great information. I will be sailing the Regal 1/14/18 and am hoping to experience the Medallion. Thanks again

Ditto! So impressed with all your reporting. I just booked the 1/7/18 cruise and look forward to seeing what's new.

So reading some of the scenarios I had a thought. You go to a near empty bar and the bar tender quickly ids you because of your medallion. The bar tender, trying to make conversation says, "Gee Mr. Smith, I see you have been spending a lot of time in your cabin bathroom......are you having GI problems? Do you think you should go see the Doctor." Just saying :)

Hank

Thank you. Laughing out loud and dog is wondering about me. We board on Sunday-no medallion. Just R & R

Hmmm just had another thought. If you take your dog aboard (as a faux Service Dog) does the dog get his/her own Medallion?

Hank

Have they given any indication how long before a particular sailing date that they will notify who will have ***** and who won't? I read on a previous post that someone sailing on 12/10 was notified in late October (approx. 6 weeks prior). I'll be sailing on 1/7/18 and, while I understand that they "hope" to have it fully rolled out by then, I realize that these things can get delayed.

We are on the 12/17/17 cruise and received an email the second week of October informing us our cabin is not part of the rollout. Regarding the post mentioning all boarding passengers are taken to the piazza and then directed to elevators. I am wondering if this is only for ***** passengers or all passengers.

Pam

Pam

We are on the 12/17/17 cruise and received an email the second week of October informing us our cabin is not part of the rollout. Regarding the post mentioning all boarding passengers are taken to the piazza and then directed to elevators. I am wondering if this is only for ***** passengers or all passengers.

Pam

Pam

We had this experience in crown this October.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Forums mobile app

So reading some of the scenarios I had a thought. You go to a near empty bar and the bar tender quickly ids you because of your medallion. The bar tender, trying to make conversation says, "Gee Mr. Smith, I see you have been spending a lot of time in your cabin bathroom......are you having GI problems? Do you think you should go see the Doctor." Just saying :)

Hank

This is, without a doubt, going to stick in my head every time I approach a bartender on the ship.....I will start to laugh, and he or she will think I am really strange. Even so, thanks for the best laugh I have had today!

Pam

Pam

Hi Pam,

It's a new boarding experience for all passengers regardless of if your cabin is part of the medallion section or not.

Kris

I’m just wondering how this will work then for those who aren’t platinum or elite. I pre purchased minutes already but if it’s 9.99 per day how does my prepurchased amount get applied??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi Stefanie,

I got an answer for you. The amount you prepaid will be given to you as an onboard credit. You'll be able to use it as a credit against the new pricing scheme. I'm sitting in the internet cafe right now and someone paid $70 for a package before they boarded. That $70 has been given to the passenger as a credit. Since the cruise is only 4 days, they will be pay $40 for the service.

Kris

Hi Stefanie,

I got an answer for you. The amount you prepaid will be given to you as an onboard credit. You'll be able to use it as a credit against the new pricing scheme. I'm sitting in the internet cafe right now and someone paid $70 for a package before they boarded. That $70 has been given to the passenger as a credit. Since the cruise is only 4 days, they will be pay $40 for the service.

Kris

Ok so what you’re saying is that the internet credit will convert to an OBC that can be used for daily internet is that right???

And thanks very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

now i'm lost, on the official princess page it shows a video of a family outside watching the stars and the guy using his cell phone to order hot chocolate and its delivered right to them

do you need a cell phone to order hot chocolate now?

Hi there,

It sounds like the family is using the "Here and Now" portion of the medallion. You'll be able to use your device to order an item to be delivered to you. If you don't have a device, you'll still be able to order an item. The panels at the elevators will be enabled to allow for orders as well as some of the crew will have devices for you to use as well.

With "Here and Now" you won't need to stop the activity you are doing. You'll be able to continue with your day and the servers will locate you.

Fair warning - if you use "Here and Now" to order food, you may have up to a 45 minute wait to receive the item. As of now, any pizzas ordered using this program will be made at Alfredo's. They are working to install new ovens and the goal is to have all food done through "Here and Now" to be made in a single location.

For "There and Then", you'll have a certain amount of time to show up at the bar / restaurant / showroom where you have ordered the item for. After that you'll need to re-order the item. I'll find out if you'd be charged for the item you received as well as the one you did not.

Kris

Thanks so much for all the input. I found a couple of links on Princess's website that might help a few people who are viewing through their computers.

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion-class/Ocean-Medallion-Infographic.pdf

https://www.princess.com/ships-and-experience/ocean-medallion/?utm_source=princess.com/ocean&utm_medium=mixed&utm_campaign=ocean&cid=mkt_mixed_mixed_princess.com/ocean_ocean

I'm on the Caribbean Princess in April and am hoping to learn through all your contributions.

Have a great trip John and Claire! Thanks for giving us a live report!