Live from the Regal Princess First Ocean Medallion Cruise November 13 2017

mcg1313

I haven’t had a chance to read through this whole thread but does anyone have actual dimensions of the medallion, like how many inches across and how thick it is?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I don't have a ruler so here's some coins for scale thickness is about the same as 2 quarters and a dime

1d14e530eb0553c15539bfa37b768710.jpg

f232126948814ffd60902e4292860460.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Forums mobile app

I personally think this roll-out has been a disaster and am happy I cancelled this cruise. If I was Jan, heads would roll. I'm sorry but you do not spend 6 months promoting and marketing the cruise to EVERYONE as a Medallion Inaugural cruise, and then only have 100 staterooms ready, and now they are not even functioning. I am still excited to do a Medallion cruise, but VERY happy to wait until the ship actually functions as a Medallion ready cruise ship, and Princess should have waited as well. No wonder the ship is half empty!!!

Based on what has happened to Princess since she left Carnival to take over, it's her head that should roll. She's made a lot of non-passenger friendly changes.

are doors on ships metal?

if so my bet is that the signal wont go through the door very far into the room. but if you hang it on a hook inside your door........................................

There are at least 3 and possibly 4 "sensors" or antennas in the cabin. One for the door, one for the main cabin, one in the bathroom and I believe there is one on the balcony. Once you are in the cabin, the door is locked and obviously will be locked when you leave as it was previously.

No one is asking about the interior lights. Before you needed to have your cruise card, or facsimile, in the switch slot to turn on the lights when entering the cabin. The way it works now is that once you use the medallion to enter the cabin, the interior lights can be turned on and will remain on because the cabin "sensor" knows you are there and then you can turn them off if that's what is desired. When you leave the cabin and the sensors don't register another medallion in the cabin, the lights turn off saving energy. This eliminates the card-in-slot technique.

Or if youre sitting at the bar all alone waiting for your spouse to get dressed for dinner, the server could strike up a conversation based off the information they see on their iPad: "I saw you went on a kayak tour around the island while we were in port yesterday, how was that?"

that would freak me out and id toss the thing over the railing if anyone ever said that to me. we all know big brother is out there but dang thats crazy to have it used like that. hopefully they dont do that for real. id feel like i'm being stalked.

and regarding it knowing you are in your room and keeping the lights on that seems very inefficient if someone leaves theres back in the room. but probably enough people dont have it in the room so the lights turn off

"No one is asking about the interior lights. Before you needed to have your cruise card, or facsimile, in the switch slot to turn on the lights when entering the cabin. The way it works now is that once you use the medallion to enter the cabin, the interior lights can be turned on and will remain on because the cabin "sensor" knows you are there and then you can turn them off if that's what is desired. When you leave the cabin and the sensors don't register another medallion in the cabin, the lights turn off saving energy. This eliminates the card-in-slot technique."

So much for charging tablet during the day when I'm gone. At least on NCL Pearl I could charge while in bed reading with the USB in the bed lamp.

"No one is asking about the interior lights. Before you needed to have your cruise card, or facsimile, in the switch slot to turn on the lights when entering the cabin. The way it works now is that once you use the medallion to enter the cabin, the interior lights can be turned on and will remain on because the cabin "sensor" knows you are there and then you can turn them off if that's what is desired. When you leave the cabin and the sensors don't register another medallion in the cabin, the lights turn off saving energy. This eliminates the card-in-slot technique."

So much for charging tablet during the day when I'm gone. At least on NCL Pearl I could charge while in bed reading with the USB in the bed lamp.

As I recall, the power outlets are not dependent on the person / card / medallion being in the room. That's just for the lights. Charging devices using outlet power should remain fine even when not in the room.

Oh good. I was under the impressions that power was shut off when you left room.

Does anyone know if the TVs have USB outlets that can be used for charging? With 2 phones, a tablet, portable battery and camera all needing to be charged it would really be nice not to have to being a USB hub.

I have a question...I believe I read that the medallion is magnetized...will we have issues putting it up near digital devices or credit cards? Will it demagnetize the cards or possibly erase the data on the memory card for the cameras....

sorry I am not that tech savy so this could be a dumb question....

I'm glad that you're happy that you canceled. But I have to ask... you really are enjoying life more typing from wherever complaining about a minor impact on a cruise than being on this cruise? (especially since this cruise is of short duration) Sorry, I can't relate to that.:cool:

Ummm...let me think about that for a nano-second. Just because I cancelled the cruise (AND AM HAPPY I DID) does not mean that I'm not interested in the roll-out. A 1 day cruise (it's been raining here in Florida for a week), to Nassau (where I usually don't even get off the ship), where there are crew running around still trying to get things working??? YES I AM enjoying life more sitting at home and I will enjoy my upcoming 10 day cruise on Royal in Dec. AND I will book a Regal cruise for this spring when everything is working as it was advertised to be! I CAN relate. Sorry it bothers you so much. Go RANGERS!

I'm glad that you're happy that you canceled. But I have to ask... you really are enjoying life more typing from wherever complaining about a minor impact on a cruise than being on this cruise? (especially since this cruise is of short duration) Sorry, I can't relate to that.:cool:

Which is more enjoyable?

Complaining about some aspect of princess?

Or, complaining about people complaining about some aspect of princess?

Both seem popular here.

A cruise is a cruise, the medallion is a very small part of it, I cant understand why it will make that much difference to passengers. apart from the opening of your door most things will be a much of a muchness. if your sat by the pool and you want a drink are you really going to order it on your phone or just move 30yds to the nearest bar or ask a passing waiter

I have a question...I believe I read that the medallion is magnetized...will we have issues putting it up near digital devices or credit cards? Will it demagnetize the cards or possibly erase the data on the memory card for the cameras....

sorry I am not that tech savy so this could be a dumb question....

First of all it's not a dumb question. You are quite right to ask.

You might have a problem with the swipe strip on credit cards.The good news is that experience says the magnetization on commercial credit card magnetic strips is much more resistant to external magnetic fields versus the Princess cards. The chips in cards will be not effected by your medallion either.

The days of digital devices using magnetic core memory and floppy disks are long gone. Your camera's memory cards will be safe.

First of all it's not a dumb question. You are quite right to ask.

You might have a problem with the swipe strip on credit cards.The good news is that experience says the magnetization on commercial credit card magnetic strips is much more resistant to external magnetic fields versus the Princess cards. The chips in cards will be not effected by your medallion either.

The days of digital devices using magnetic core memory and floppy disks are long gone. Your camera's memory cards will be safe.

Great thanks! I have this little clutch wallet that holds my camera, lipstick and cruise card...now medallion when out for dinner and such on the ship and was worried about it being next to the camera in the clutch and then again in our water wallet in the same pouch as I would have my drivers license and credit cards in...although my credit cards to go in an RFID paper cover thing when we travel.

When I saw the notice about people with pacemakers shouldn't wear as a pendant or lanyard I was like uh oh...those are smart items compared to my cards and memory cards...