Live from the Regal Princess First Ocean Medallion Cruise November 13 2017

mcg1313

MojoJones, in regard to the new Medallion.Net...did they indicate whether the benefit of unlimited internet for Platinum/Elite will be solely for the test cruises or an official new benefit?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi there,

As of now, it will remain free for platinum and elite guests. This is only for the medallion ships. Of course they reserve the right to change their minds later if they see the system is getting overtaxed by 3600 people using it at the same time.

Kris

MojoJones,

Thank you so much for the reply - it's very helpful.

I have another two questions:

1. You mentioned Elite/Platinum gets free internet for one device - can I switch between my iphone and laptop (but only one connected at a time)?

2. How long the 'free' will be for E/P passengers ? till they iron out the bugs or just your cruise only ?

Again, thank you so much for taking time asking Qs for us and answering our Qs.

MojoJones,

Thank you so much for the reply - it's very helpful.

I have another two questions:

1. You mentioned Elite/Platinum gets free internet for one device - can I switch between my iphone and laptop (but only one connected at a time)?

2. How long the 'free' will be for E/P passengers ? till they iron out the bugs or just your cruise only ?

Again, thank you so much for taking time asking Qs for us and answering our Qs.

I guess I missed something or am not understanding what I'm reading. Right now elite have 250 free Internet minutes. Am I understanding if you are in a medallion cabin the Internet is unlimited for now? Other elites will still have their 250 free minutes?

I guess I missed something or am not understanding what I'm reading. Right now elite have 250 free Internet minutes. Am I understanding if you are in a medallion cabin the Internet is unlimited for now? Other elites will still have their 250 free minutes?

The Elite/Platinum free minutes depend on the length of sailing.

• Voyages 7 days or less, 150 minutes
  • Voyages 8-20 days, 250 minutes
  • Voyages 21+ days, 500 minutes

For the Medallion preview sailings on the Regal which for now go through the end of December 2017, they are offering Platinum and Elite in all cabins unlimited internet only on these sailings. As they said, they can change this if it gets overtaxed.

The Elite/Platinum free minutes depend on the length of sailing.

• Voyages 7 days or less, 150 minutes
  • Voyages 8-20 days, 250 minutes
  • Voyages 21+ days, 500 minutes

For the Medallion preview sailings on the Regal which for now go through the end of December 2017, they are offering Platinum and Elite in all cabins unlimited internet only on these sailings. As they said, they can change this if it gets overtaxed.

Thank you, I'm clear on it now. I used 250 minutes because I usually book 8-10 day sailings so it's what I'm used to.:)

I believe they will eliminate the unlimited soon as ships are ready. :(

Hi there,

As of now, it will remain free for platinum and elite guests. This is only for the medallion ships. Of course they reserve the right to change their minds later if they see the system is getting overtaxed by 3600 people using it at the same time.

Kris

Ok sounds good. It’s an exciting benefit; I️ hope it sticks! Thank you for all your reporting!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Although I am old (probably ancient) I love new tech. But I am yet to be convinced that the medallions will benefit cruisers as much as the cruise lines who will now be able to track everyone's spending patterns, habits, etc. Think about being in a bar. Now, I have to pull out my cruise card to pay for a drink. With a medallion I will not have to pull out a card. That sure sounds like amazing progress worth millions.

Hank

i dont understand at all how the new system will track you better than the old one. what 'activity' could you do without a card in the past that the new system will track better? when i used my own CC in the gift shop they wanted my sail card anyway. i'm assuming if i paid cash they wouldnt though.

whether soda. booze etc, you gotta use a card or the new system. i dont see this as any new data mining at all but i await enlightenment because i must be missing something.

Thank you for working on these answers. So helpful.

If I keep my 5 year olds mediallion in the cabin will there be a problem in the line that my cabin steward believes my cabin to be occupied and not knock or try to make up the room?

If my husband does not like to attend muster drill but I do and I put his mediallion in my pocket and attend properly will anyone be the wiser?

Have they given any indication how long before a particular sailing date that they will notify who will have ***** and who won't? I read on a previous post that someone sailing on 12/10 was notified in late October (approx. 6 weeks prior). I'll be sailing on 1/7/18 and, while I understand that they "hope" to have it fully rolled out by then, I realize that these things can get delayed.

My kids are 11 and 13. Trying to remember when they were babies. Maybe princess will rig an ***** holder that goes on babys ankle like in the hospital. Mostly for emergency at muster station. It would have to be quite secure because babies put things in their mouths. Hmm.

i dont understand at all how the new system will track you better than the old one. what 'activity' could you do without a card in the past that the new system will track better? when i used my own CC in the gift shop they wanted my sail card anyway. i'm assuming if i paid cash they wouldnt though.

whether soda. booze etc, you gotta use a card or the new system. i dont see this as any new data mining at all but i await enlightenment because i must be missing something.

I wasn't aware you could use a credit card or pay cash in the gift shops of Princess. They have only taken my cruise card for any purchases on any cruise ship. I have been on several lines and the method is the same.

A tagaong is like a little avatar you can customise when you download and activate the SocialOcean app on your phone. You can select a fish, turtle or seahorse currently. It's designed to follow you around the ship on the big touch screens.

Sandra

Isn’t the tag along like “Clip” from Microsoft word 2007? As remember that was annoying as you know what!

Have they given any idea on the time frame as to when they will be adding more Ocean Medallion cabins to future cruises? Meaning having 200 cabins on cruise x and then 300 cabins on cruise y etc?? to see if the crew can handle more ***** passengers??

No they cannot commit to any dates yet for the rollout. The tech has to be working first and I believe the door opening and touch screens are still work in progress, requiring a lot of attention from the IT guys.

Sandra and Chris

It's just like the door lock. All you need to do is be close. Your server will have a tablet which will display your photo to confirm he or she is billing the correct person.
so, if you are in your cabin and your medallion is there also, does it keep the door unlocked? or does it lock it when you close the door....;p

I wasn't aware you could use a credit card or pay cash in the gift shops of Princess. They have only taken my cruise card for any purchases on any cruise ship. I have been on several lines and the method is the same.

problem is if the system is offline and the girl never had to do this before. she waits 5 min for someone to help her then runs it through your cruise account anyway then backs it out when the card reader is up again. poor training on the cruise lines part.

so, if you are in your cabin and your medallion is there also, does it keep the door unlocked? or does it lock it when you close the door....;p

are doors on ships metal?

if so my bet is that the signal wont go through the door very far into the room. but if you hang it on a hook inside your door........................................

are doors on ships metal?

if so my bet is that the signal wont go through the door very far into the room. but if you hang it on a hook inside your door........................................

There are 2 medallion sensors in the cabin, one of n the ceiling above tHe desk area and 1 on the bathroom wall near the shelves

Thank you for working on these answers. So helpful.

If I keep my 5 year olds mediallion in the cabin will there be a problem in the line that my cabin steward believes my cabin to be occupied and not knock or try to make up the room?

If my husband does not like to attend muster drill but I do and I put his mediallion in my pocket and attend properly will anyone be the wiser?

I am only guessing.....don't know about the 5 year old, but I would guess the steward would assume (or hope) they are not alone in the cabin....

Going into muster drill, I would assume they would have staff at the door. When you walk by, both your picture and your DH will pop up. They would see his face, but notice his body is missing... :eek:

Just my guesses..... :o

There are 2 medallion sensors in the cabin, one of n the ceiling above tHe desk area and 1 on the bathroom wall near the shelves

We noticed that new sensor in our bathroom when on the Regal last week. It made us fell really good to know that the cruise line can keep track of our time in the bathroom! We suspect that long range planning will include an upcharge for those who overuse the bathroom.

Hank