Live from the Regal Princess First Ocean Medallion Cruise November 13 2017

mcg1313

But only for one device for free.

I've seen this answer on another thread. Is it only one device or one device AT A TIME? So, if one signs off of one device, could they sign on with another? I would think yes since the device isn't an issue, the portal is. Here's hoping.

I've seen this answer on another thread. Is it only one device or one device AT A TIME? So, if one signs off of one device, could they sign on with another? I would think yes since the device isn't an issue, the portal is. Here's hoping.

Yeah I saw this to on another thread.. each person has their own log on and can only be logged on to one device at a time...so if 2 people in a cabin are P/E each can be on one device at the same time with their own respective log ins.

Which is more enjoyable?

Complaining about some aspect of princess?

Or, complaining about people complaining about some aspect of princess?

Both seem popular here.

No complaint. I just asked a question. I see your point though.. But then again, I'm not on a cruise.. I'm sitting in my home office at the computer. I do know where I'd rather be... Oh, and in my case it's 39 and cloudy out.:)

Nice display - and another way to spend money :eek:

What is the difference between the sport band and what comes with the medallion. Also, how does the sport clip work - spring, magnetic, or just squeeze in place?

We received the sport band with our medallions. Everyone got blue as it's Princess' signature color. It visually and textually reminds me of the band that came with my Garmin. I'd imagine for the next few months it would be included with the medallion but in the future you'll be order a different color at a small additional charge.

The sport clips are magnetic to hold the device, There's a small spring that will separate to allow a layer of fabric (your shirt) between the face and back. The closure is magnetic as well. I've seen the Navigators with them on their shirt collars while others use the sport bands.

Kris

Oh good. I was under the impressions that power was shut off when you left room.

Does anyone know if the TVs have USB outlets that can be used for charging? With 2 phones, a tablet, portable battery and camera all needing to be charged it would really be nice not to have to being a USB hub.

The new 4K flatscreens have a USB port on the back left but it is difficult to access since the tv is mounted flat on the wall. That said, I was able to plug in a USB charging cable for my Iphone but I have small hands. Also, since the tv is mounted, you would need longer than normal cable otherwise it will hang three feet off the floor.

"No one is asking about the interior lights. Before you needed to have your cruise card, or facsimile, in the switch slot to turn on the lights when entering the cabin. The way it works now is that once you use the medallion to enter the cabin, the interior lights can be turned on and will remain on because the cabin "sensor" knows you are there and then you can turn them off if that's what is desired. When you leave the cabin and the sensors don't register another medallion in the cabin, the lights turn off saving energy. This eliminates the card-in-slot technique."

So much for charging tablet during the day when I'm gone. At least on NCL Pearl I could charge while in bed reading with the USB in the bed lamp.

OK... let me nip this in the bud....

As it stands right now, your medallion will not have any control over the lighting in your cabin. You'll still use the same card holder to power your lights on the Royal / Regal / any other ships with this technology. When I was just in a medallion cabin this week, we had a blue card put in the slot stating that it was energy efficient lighting. They even took my old cruise card that I was using and put it on the table so I used theirs.

I charged my iPad and camera while I wasn't in the room. The TV and power sources run separately from the lighting system.

As of now, the technologies do not "talk" to one another. That may be something that they consider doing in the future but right now, they're concentrating on getting the system working properly and deployed to more guests.

I've been in contact with the Guest Services Manager on this ship. I can ask any questions (within reason) and will be given the answers if they have been defined as of yet. We need to remember that as of now, the Medallion technology is a living, breathing thing that will need constant revisions while in its infancy. What we are told on these initial preview cruises may completely change in the next few weeks / months.

Keep the questions coming. I'm here till Sunday and have no problems asking questions for us all to learn. I suggested that Princess work with Cruise Critic to develop a FAQ that can live at the top of this forum. It may be in the works so stay tuned.....

Kris

As it stands right now, your medallion will not have any control over the lighting in your cabin. You'll still use the same card holder to power your lights on the Royal / Regal / any other ships with this technology. When I was just in a medallion cabin this week, we had a blue card put in the slot stating that it was energy efficient lighting. They even took my old cruise card that I was using and put it on the table so I used theirs.

I charged my iPad and camera while I wasn't in the room. The TV and power sources run separately from the lighting system.

As of now, the technologies do not "talk" to one another. That may be something that they consider doing in the future but right now, they're concentrating on getting the system working properly and deployed to more guests.

I've been in contact with the Guest Services Manager on this ship. I can ask any questions (within reason) and will be given the answers if they have been defined as of yet. We need to remember that as of now, the Medallion technology is a living, breathing thing that will need constant revisions while in its infancy. What we are told on these initial preview cruises may completely change in the next few weeks / months.

Keep the questions coming. I'm here till Sunday and have no problems asking questions for us all to learn. I suggested that Princess work with Cruise Critic to develop a FAQ that can live at the top of this forum. It may be in the works so stay tuned.....

Kris

Kris,

Thanks again for taking time out of your cruise to answer all of our questions in regards to medallion.

Question not having anything to do with that this time. Do you know who the bartenders are at Crooners or Vines?!!

I know that some crew members make it a point the night before a new cruise to go over the passenger list on the ships computer systems. Some of them also probably keep a small notebook. Hopefully this will make things easier for all crew members. This is so exciting. Keep up the good reporting.

The new 4K flatscreens have a USB port on the back left but it is difficult to access since the tv is mounted flat on the wall. That said, I was able to plug in a USB charging cable for my Iphone but I have small hands. Also, since the tv is mounted, you would need longer than normal cable otherwise it will hang three feet off the floor.

Thanks at least I know now and can start figuring stuff out. And I too have small hands. :)

Kris;

To put to rest (possibly) the concerns about blocking the RFID chip.. DW brought an RFID blocker which works for cc's and passports. We used the Navigator's tablets for the demo. It appears that the tablets pick up a medallion about 12-15 feet away. When DW put her Medallion in the RFID blocker the tablet picked it up at about the same distance. We were told that the battery and the frequency used made the difference.

Perhaps you can verify this.

Robin

Our TV (Category BD) was mounted so close to the wall that it was impossible to reach any of the ports.

Hank

A cruise is a cruise, the medallion is a very small part of it, I cant understand why it will make that much difference to passengers. apart from the opening of your door most things will be a much of a muchness. if your sat by the pool and you want a drink are you really going to order it on your phone or just move 30yds to the nearest bar or ask a passing waiter

I guess that has been my question for months! Why the big deal about the Medallions? I am an old f&&t, but very tech savvy so do appreciate the advances in technology. But I really do not see much of an advantage to the Medallion other then saving one the hard labor of pulling out their cruise card to open their cabin door, show a waiter, etc.

On the other hand we do wonder about the privacy related issues of a medallion. Consider that the cruise line could, in theory, track your every move on the ship. They would know how long you are in the bathroom. bed, bars, where you go, what you buy, etc. That is why we speculated will they question a cruiser who spends too much time in the bathrooms ("are you ill?). I do see the advantages for the cruise line such as not having to scan each cruise card as folks rush back aboard from a port.

On the other hand I can see the future (remember the amazing Carnak the Magnificant?) Perhaps there will be a future fee for using elevators (not an issue when you have a Medallion). Or how about a fee for boarding a tender? or how about sensors in the deck chairs and loungers and you are charged by the minute for sitting (or lounging). There is no limit to what the cruise line can do with the Medallions. The advantage to the passenger is relatively small...but the advantage to the cruise line is nearly unlimited.

But we do see the upside such as when somebody who booked a fixed sitting decides to dine in anytime dining (the alarm Klaxon sounds,,,, red lights spin....and the maitre'd asks, why are you not in your proper dining room?).

Hank

Kris

I think you misunderstood my original post regarding the control of the power to the lighting in the cabin. You are not correct in the concept that will be available with the medallion. You will not have to use the card slot to power the lights in the cabin. The medallion at the door initiates the interior lighting to be enabled and the interior RFID antennas in the cabin read your medallion to keep any lights you have turned on in that condition until all medallions have left the cabin. Yes, during the two days this week you may have needed to use a key card in the slot until everything is initiated, but after that, no card will be necessary in the slot. That is the concept for the system and hopefully it will be in effect during the next couple of weeks. Don't take my word for it.....this is from the key person on this system.

I think you misunderstood my original post regarding the control of the power to the lighting in the cabin. You are not correct in the concept that will be available with the medallion. You will not have to use the card slot to power the lights in the cabin. The medallion at the door initiates the interior lighting to be enabled and the interior RFID antennas in the cabin read your medallion to keep any lights you have turned on in that condition until all medallions have left the cabin. Yes, during the two days this week you may have needed to use a key card in the slot until everything is initiated, but after that, no card will be necessary in the slot. That is the concept for the system and hopefully it will be in effect during the next couple of weeks. Don't take my word for it.....this is from the key person on this system.

Greg - My information comes from someone who was in a meeting with Jan on turnaround day this week (yesterday). The ultimate goal is to have the two systems talk to one another but it's just not there yet. There is no ETA as to when this will occur. As of now, you will still use the RFID card in the slot. I was in a Medallion cabin for the first two day cruise and I did have the card.

Medallion is almost a living, breathing system that needs to grow in stages. There is no way to make it all live from day 1. I'm stating what the day 1 experience is, not what we'll find on day 500.

Kris

Kris,

Thanks again for taking time out of your cruise to answer all of our questions in regards to medallion.

Question not having anything to do with that this time. Do you know who the bartenders are at Crooners or Vines?!!

Hi Carolyn,

At Vines we have Ganna and Rochan. Leny and Jason are running the show up at Crooners.

Kris

I guess that has been my question for months! Why the big deal about the Medallions? I am an old f&&t, but very tech savvy so do appreciate the advances in technology. But I really do not see much of an advantage to the Medallion other then saving one the hard labor of pulling out their cruise card to open their cabin door, show a waiter, etc.

On the other hand we do wonder about the privacy related issues of a medallion. Consider that the cruise line could, in theory, track your every move on the ship. They would know how long you are in the bathroom. bed, bars, where you go, what you buy, etc. That is why we speculated will they question a cruiser who spends too much time in the bathrooms ("are you ill?). I do see the advantages for the cruise line such as not having to scan each cruise card as folks rush back aboard from a port.

On the other hand I can see the future (remember the amazing Carnak the Magnificant?) Perhaps there will be a future fee for using elevators (not an issue when you have a Medallion). Or how about a fee for boarding a tender? or how about sensors in the deck chairs and loungers and you are charged by the minute for sitting (or lounging). There is no limit to what the cruise line can do with the Medallions. The advantage to the passenger is relatively small...but the advantage to the cruise line is nearly unlimited.

But we do see the upside such as when somebody who booked a fixed sitting decides to dine in anytime dining (the alarm Klaxon sounds,,,, red lights spin....and the maitre'd asks, why are you not in your proper dining room?).

Hank

Laughing out loud again at your post. By the way, I will be getting a medallion for my beagle, but she will use it at home. thanks for the suggestion!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We received the sport band with our medallions. Everyone got blue as it's Princess' signature color. It visually and textually reminds me of the band that came with my Garmin. I'd imagine for the next few months it would be included with the medallion but in the future you'll be order a different color at a small additional charge.

The sport clips are magnetic to hold the device, There's a small spring that will separate to allow a layer of fabric (your shirt) between the face and back. The closure is magnetic as well. I've seen the Navigators with them on their shirt collars while others use the sport bands.

Kris

Thank you very much for the information! So many ladies slacks (and clothes in general) don’t have pockets, so I think the sport clip will be the answer for me [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Are the medallions working yet?

I sat next to a lady at the Karaoke tonight who has a Medallion for this cruise and it hasn't worked.

At the presentation today about the Medallion they said at least a couple more days. But we haven't seen any IT people working on the touch screens on the medallion decks or cabin doors for a while now.

Sandra and Chris

Kris;

To put to rest (possibly) the concerns about blocking the RFID chip.. DW brought an RFID blocker which works for cc's and passports. We used the Navigator's tablets for the demo. It appears that the tablets pick up a medallion about 12-15 feet away. When DW put her Medallion in the RFID blocker the tablet picked it up at about the same distance. We were told that the battery and the frequency used made the difference.

Perhaps you can verify this.

Robin

I would like to know about this also or if there is anything that can be used to block the Medallion when I don't want to be tracked.

I believe "tracking" is an over used fear. I have not found any indication that any part of the crew will be sitting at computer screens watching the whereabouts of 3600 passengers as they wander around the ship looking for miscreants. If you walk/drive around any large city in most of the world you are tracked constantly by people who are actually watching screens. The ships simply do not have the crew necessary to do that.

The Medallion is not the first tracker, Disney has had it for years, and RCCL recently came out with their version. So if you don't want to be "tracked" you had better cruise quickly or it will be too late.

Greg - My information comes from someone who was in a meeting with Jan on turnaround day this week (yesterday). The ultimate goal is to have the two systems talk to one another but it's just not there yet. There is no ETA as to when this will occur. As of now, you will still use the RFID card in the slot. I was in a Medallion cabin for the first two day cruise and I did have the card.

Medallion is almost a living, breathing system that needs to grow in stages. There is no way to make it all live from day 1. I'm stating what the day 1 experience is, not what we'll find on day 500.

Kris

I understand all that. We were also on the ship for the two days and we were fortunate to have a private conversation with Jan and the head of the team. As I stated, the ultimate goal is to use the medallion to do all the things the cruise card can do and more. The current ability to open the door and power on the electrical to the cabin is not functioning, thus the use of the card. This will happen sooner rather than later, but it wasn't critical to customer experience as much as the communication with the medallion to the kiosks and POS.

The roadmap to the complete ***** experience is truly incredible. It will provide an exciting journey for all passengers when they see what it can provide in terms of satisfaction and safety.