No more evening Deck Dance Parties?

We just got off the Liberty of the Seas, had a fantastic cruise, but I was disappointed that they did not have any pool deck evening dance parties. I was a little irritated with the CD for not planning one, but I was told by one of the Pinnacle Club members onboard that this was fleetwide. They are no longer doing dance parties on the deck (other than the line dancing stuff during the day). They also eliminated the sailaway parties on the deck when leaving the Caribbean ports. They only had a sailaway party on embarkation day.

If this is true, we need to make a stink so they will bring it back! Keep in mind, a little while back, they eliminated the pub entertainer position and even the lounge band on some ships, but after a while they brought those back, I assume because of significant customer reactions.

Has anyone else hear the same thing, or have you had deck parties on recent sailings?

Hi Chad, hope you had a great cruise. Yeah, they've also eliminated the lunch by the pool on a sea day with chili or jambalaya. On our 10/29 sailing, the pool band didn't even play the first sea day until 3:30 in the afternoon - when most people are already gone! Unless I missed it they didn't have Silent Disco or the night party in the Solarium either. One way or the other, we're paying for all these new ships they're building! :eek:

• Like 1

Dazzles was crazy crowded and no other place to try to dance and drink on last Harmony cruise, they really need to have a couple of top deck dance parties on each 7 night cruise barring rain. They are trying to attract young people who will book again right? The ship shouldn’t shut down at 11 or 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi Chad, hope you had a great cruise. Yeah, they've also eliminated the lunch by the pool on a sea day with chili or jambalaya. On our 10/29 sailing, the pool band didn't even play the first sea day until 3:30 in the afternoon - when most people are already gone! Unless I missed it they didn't have Silent Disco or the night party in the Solarium either. One way or the other, we're paying for all these new ships they're building! :eek:

We did have a great cruise, thanks! However, that one aspect was disappointing. I sounded off pretty thoroughly on the post-cruise survey. The other thing that I noticed (and forgot to mention in the survey) was that on sea days, when the band wasn't playing, the Compass said that "DJ Mitch" would be spinning tunes. Trust me, there was no DJ. Unless he was invisible. It was just the usual canned music playing through the speakers.

I'm going to keep making noise about it and I'm planning on sending some emails. I also made my disappointment known to several Pinnacles we talked to onboard. If any passengers have some pull, it's them.

Dazzles was crazy crowded and no other place to try to dance and drink on last Harmony cruise, they really need to have a couple of top deck dance parties on each 7 night cruise barring rain. They are trying to attract young people who will book again right? The ship shouldn’t shut down at 11 or 12.

I agree totally! Also, I hope they're trying to keep us older people who still want to dance. ;p

Same thing our on Anthem cruise this past May. I was very disappointed. We have pictures from past cruises of the "dance parties" at night on the pool deck and you can see it was a great time, with a big turn out. I wonder why the cruise line no longer does them? It couldn't cost them that much more money, what are they paying for, a DJ?

Same thing our on Anthem cruise this past May. I was very disappointed. We have pictures from past cruises of the "dance parties" at night on the pool deck and you can see it was a great time, with a big turn out. I wonder why the cruise line no longer does them? It couldn't cost them that much more money, what are they paying for, a DJ?

Possibly the drink package? They want sell the package to as many people as possible but once they do there is not incentive to spend money on product already paid for. Maybe most people staying up late at dance parties also have drink package. RCCL cuts costs related to entertainment, bar staff and alcohol inventory. They probably LIKE the 4 deep lines at Dazzles with 2 bartenders........ slows down product comsumption.

When everyone paid for drinks the old way..... RCCL had a financial incentive to get people dancing and buying drinks to increase profits. No more profits to deck parties......... cut it and see if still attract enough pax.

thats one reason i sail more on another line... big ships that get boring by 10.

We just got off the Liberty of the Seas, had a fantastic cruise, but I was disappointed that they did not have any pool deck evening dance parties. I was a little irritated with the CD for not planning one, but I was told by one of the Pinnacle Club members onboard that this was fleetwide. They are no longer doing dance parties on the deck (other than the line dancing stuff during the day). They also eliminated the sailaway parties on the deck when leaving the Caribbean ports. They only had a sailaway party on embarkation day.

If this is true, we need to make a stink so they will bring it back! Keep in mind, a little while back, they eliminated the pub entertainer position and even the lounge band on some ships, but after a while they brought those back, I assume because of significant customer reactions.

Has anyone else hear the same thing, or have you had deck parties on recent sailings?

I'm on Serenade right now and earlier this evening they had a "Moonlight Madness" Caribbean Deck Party poolside from 9:30pm - 11:30pm. So, no - I don't think this is anything fleet wide.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

• Thanks 1

Yep, you're right. No DJ our week either. We've taken to bringing a bluetooth speaker and playing my Cruise Tunes playlist at the Pool Bar.

Wow I would be pissed if a fellow cruiser brought their own speakers and was playing their version of good music on a speaker in a public place. They make headphones for a reason, people don't want to hear others choice in music. If the cruise wants to have a band playing that's one thing but to have passengers choosing what they want to hear at a public place is another. That would certainly have ruined a relaxing time sitting by the pool. Even if we enjoyed the same music it still would be rude as there are others that wouldn't enjoy it.

• Like 3

Yep, you're right. No DJ our week either. We've taken to bringing a bluetooth speaker and playing my Cruise Tunes playlist at the Pool Bar. I thought they frowned upon that?

Oh good grief Will - give me a little credit before ranting about it. We ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS ask the bartenders. We NEVER play it if there is anything going on. We ALWAYS play it in a corner softly so the only people that hear it are us and maybe a few people around us. If anyone is at the Pool Bar sitting we ALWAYS ask if it's ok. The times we've done it, not only have we been ASKED to turn it up by others at the Pool Bar, we've had people request songs. ;) Unless you are sitting at the Pool Bar, your relaxing time at the pool is not ruined. We make sure to tell the bartenders that if we need to turn it off to absolutely let us know. It's not like we sit there for hours playing loud music. I wasn't born in a barn. :eek:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Possibly the drink package? They want sell the package to as many people as possible but once they do there is not incentive to spend money on product already paid for. Maybe most people staying up late at dance parties also have drink package. RCCL cuts costs related to entertainment, bar staff and alcohol inventory. They probably LIKE the 4 deep lines at Dazzles with 2 bartenders........ slows down product comsumption.

When everyone paid for drinks the old way..... RCCL had a financial incentive to get people dancing and buying drinks to increase profits. No more profits to deck parties......... cut it and see if still attract enough pax.

OK, now this is way to reasonable thinking!! You are the consultant they would eagerly pay 10K to save 100K..............

Yes, but most people also try to avoid confrontation and won't say anything even if it annoys them.

I can assure you that 100% of the people sitting at the Pool Bar the 3 times we have done it were onboard with it and that NO ONE else could hear it. A Royal supervisor even came over and chatted with the group and expressed how much they loved it. We're rule followers and I would never disturb other cruisers. Actually haven't even done it the last 2 cruises and probably won't now since you have made me paranoid about antagonizing someone 30 feet away who might hear one random musical note. End of story.

I can assure you that 100% of the people sitting at the Pool Bar the 3 times we have done it were onboard with it and that NO ONE else could hear it. A Royal supervisor even came over and chatted with the group and expressed how much they loved it. We're rule followers and I would never disturb other cruisers. Actually haven't even done it the last 2 cruises and probably won't now since you have made me paranoid about antagonizing someone 30 feet away who might hear one random musical note. End of story.

If the music is appropriate to the circumstance and you're being considerate about it....... I wouldn't worry about it.

Wow I would be pissed if a fellow cruiser brought their own speakers and was playing their version of good music on a speaker in a public place. They make headphones for a reason, people don't want to hear others choice in music. If the cruise wants to have a band playing that's one thing but to have passengers choosing what they want to hear at a public place is another. That would certainly have ruined a relaxing time sitting by the pool. Even if we enjoyed the same music it still would be rude as there are others that wouldn't enjoy it.

This is what was chosen to be your one and only post on these forums??? :'):'):')

• Like 1

it all goes back to drink packages. i have said this since they let derrick lewis go from liberty of the sea. he would keep the hoof and claw pumping ,and dinks would flow he played music and pushed dinks and then royal started drink packages so they didnt need alot of people hanging out drinking for free to one or two in the morning .make it boring and less people having fun less good music and drinking but when evryone had to pay it was pump pump pump now yoiu have a hard time finding a waiter at the pool

it all goes back to drink packages. i have said this since they let derrick lewis go from liberty of the sea. he would keep the hoof and claw pumping ,and dinks would flow he played music and pushed dinks and then royal started drink packages so they didnt need alot of people hanging out drinking for free to one or two in the morning .make it boring and less people having fun less good music and drinking but when evryone had to pay it was pump pump pump now yoiu have a hard time finding a waiter at the pool

I think you are right.

for anyone here, if your cruise doesn't have an event you've enjoyed in the past, tell the company.

This is disappointing to hear. The sail aways and actual "real" bands are what make it feel like you're on a cruise. Carnival is getting rid of its live bands and I really hate that. Of course I hated it when the steel drum bands were discontinued -- now that's when you really felt like you were on a cruise! I'm sure money is in there somewhere as a reason...

Will be on the Serenade next month, so at least I know.