Answering the call of nature on HAL?

Kingofcool1947

I just disembarked K and I don't recall ever seeing the dispensers at the entrance to the Lido. In fact, the only place I can remember seeing them was on the pier.

The hand washing stations did not seem too popular. Not that I was really paying attention, but it did not seem as though they were used too much.

That's pretty much been my experience on every line I've sailed.

The handwashing station outside the buffet were well used on our Kdam cruise in May. Takes 12 seconds! Voila, clean hands, why would anyone not want to use it!

I sail frequently on both Princess and HAL. The Princess public mens' facilities have always been spotless and smelled fresh. They use paper towels. HAL on the other hand is not so clean (in my opinion). Often half way through a cruise many restrooms get a urine smell, especially the facilities near the theater and the dining room.

Neglected mens' rooms have always bothered me on HAL, and unless of a dire emergency I go to my cabin!

My goodness. Maybe I've had too many roadside pit stops, at old school gas stations, so cruise ship bathrooms all seem squeaky clean to me. One exception, my last RCI cruise where someone didn't flush (passenger's fault).

Yes, I know, I can't see the germs. I always open the door to exit with a paper towel, and I appreciate the sign that suggests this in the HAL latrines. I have no doubt that Noro outbreaks are due to a thoughtless individual, not due to lack of cleaning.

I just disembarked K and I don't recall ever seeing the dispensers at the entrance to the Lido. In fact, the only place I can remember seeing them was on the pier.

The hand washing stations did not seem too popular. Not that I was really paying attention, but it did not seem as though they were used too much.

That's pretty much been my experience on every line I've sailed.

Good :)

I enjoy the nice grreetings I get on HAL ships. :) We never felt that sort of friendliness on any of our r Princess cruises.

My goodness. Maybe I've had too many roadside pit stops, at old school gas stations, so cruise ship bathrooms all seem squeaky clean to me. .

:D Very true ... plus college bars, port-a-potties, etc.

There are some countries where the toilets are basically holes in the ground.

Some have led very sheldered lives. :rolleyes:

:D Very true ... plus college bars, port-a-potties, etc.

There are some countries where the toilets are basically holes in the ground.

Some have led very sheldered lives. :rolleyes:

Yep, I've had to use the public facilities at busy train stations and even the public toilet pods on some sidewalks or in parks before. Naturally I prefer to visit cleaner, more private facilities, but sometimes life doesn't let you be too terribly picky about the facilities.

Compared to some spots, you could eat off Holland America's public facilities, the floors & the seats (not that I would of course), but they are far cleaner than many others and if you encounter a problem with one of them a discreet word to the Front Desk has everything ship shape and perfect again in no time, which more than I can say for other places.

The handwashing station outside the buffet were well used on our Kdam cruise in May. Takes 12 seconds! Voila, clean hands, why would anyone not want to use it!

We used it every time we ate in the Lido. But it amazed me the number of people who just walked by it and went straight to the food.

I was just on the Konigsdam and every time I exited an elevator outside of the Lido, a staff member was standing by the stairs with a bottle of hand sanitizer. I prefer the handwashing machines which are more fun!

I've never seen a washing machine for hands. Is it like a mini car wash - insert your hands and some bubbles and brushes swirl them clean followed by clean rinse?

I like the idea.They must be very efficient if it only takes 12 seconds. Maybe if they had them in the restrooms more pax would give their hands a decent wash

Hand washers are pretty neat I known i have a picture somewhere. A difference with HAL in the lido people aren't touching serving utensils everything is behind glass being served to you. I don't recall many sanitizer stations on the kdam only remembering them on off the ship and by ny deli.

Nice looking crappers on the ship bathrooms were clean also .

I've never seen a washing machine for hands. Is it like a mini car wash - insert your hands and some bubbles and brushes swirl them clean followed by clean rinse?

I like the idea.They must be very efficient if it only takes 12 seconds. Maybe if they had them in the restrooms more pax would give their hands a decent wash

When you insert your hands, it feels like hundreds of thin strands of warm water swirling around your hands and wrists. I find it faintly tickling. No brushes. I'm not sure if there is a rinse cycle, but you do not get a soapy residue.

Edited by SetAnOpenCourse
Add sentence

I agree with BlizzardBoy, I'm just off the NA on 11/25 and the public restrooms are spotless. It seemed every time I used one, there was an attendant either leaving or just entering. And they have real cloth towels, automatic faucets and a friendly reminder posted to "open the door with a towel." You will have no issues. The attendants always have gloves on too. Happy travels.

No brushes, just spray. I never saw anyone using it besides DH and me.

2w1rxj5.jpg